Trump wants blacks to gamble on his "what the hell do you have to lose"

Evidence Mounts Against Louisiana Voucher Program
More research shows the Bayou State's voucher program harms students' academic performance

More than half of Louisiana's public schools are low-performing.

Louisiana's private school voucher program – the fifth-largest in the country – is having a negative impact on students who use the vouchers to enroll in private school, a mounting body of evidence shows.

"Most striking, we find strong and consistent evidence that students using a [voucher] performed significantly worse in math after using their scholarship to attend private schools," said Patrick Wolf, the lead author for a series of studies published Monday by the university's School Choice Demonstration Project and Tulane University's Education Research Alliance for New Orleans.

The findings bolster those from a working paper published two months ago by a separate team of researchers that found students who used a voucher to attend a private school experienced lowered math, reading, science and social studies scores. In particular, their likelihood of a failing score increased by 24 to 50 percent.

An additional notable finding: The academic achievement of students in public school who did not receive a voucher and therefore stayed in public school actually improved between the first and second year, especially in math.
Evidence Mounts Against Louisiana Voucher Program

Vouchers don't do much for students

Ever since the Obama administration filed suit to freeze Louisiana’s school voucher program, high-ranking Republicans have pummeled the president for trapping poor kids in failing public schools. The entire House leadership sent a letter of protest. Majority Leader Eric Cantor blistered the president for denying poor kids “a way into a brighter future.”

And Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal accused the president of “ripping low-income minority students out of good schools” that could “help them achieve their dreams.”

But behind the outrage is an inconvenient truth: Taxpayers across the U.S. will soon be spending $1 billion a year to help families pay private school tuition — and there’s little evidence that the investment yields academic gains.

In Milwaukee, just 13 percent of voucher students scored proficient in math and 11 percent made the bar in reading this spring. That’s worse on both counts than students in the city’s public schools. In Cleveland, voucher students in most grades performed worse than their peers in public schools in math, though they did better in reading.

In New Orleans, voucher students who struggle academically haven’t advanced to grade-level work any faster over the past two years than students in the public schools, many of which are rated D or F, state data show.

And across Louisiana, many of the most popular private schools for voucher students posted miserable scores in math, reading, science and social studies this spring, with fewer than half their voucher students achieving even basic proficiency and fewer than 2 percent demonstrating mastery. Seven schools did so badly, state Superintendent John White barred them from accepting new voucher students — though the state agreed to keep paying tuition for the more than 200 voucher students already enrolled, if they chose to stay.

Nationwide, many schools participating in voucher programs infuse religion through their curriculum. Zack Kopplin, a student activist who favors rigorous science education, has found more than 300 voucher schools across the U.S. that teach the Biblical story of creation as science; some also instruct children that the world is just several thousand years old and use textbooks describing the Loch Ness Monster as a living dinosaur. Parents at one such school in Louisiana received a newsletter calling secular scientists “sinful men.”

1.Are you crazy or just dumb! The quote you are responding to has no mention of Kennedy. You need to put that bottle away… you are starting to hallucinate…

Stop trying to convince me to agree to subsidize your kids with my tax dollars

So you think public schools are free and don't take your tax dollars? WTF do you live anyway?

Over half of my property taxes go to our schools that I nor my tenants have children in. One of my tenants home schools their kids and that's a huge financial loss to them because the mother has to stay home to do so.

The average public school cost around 13K a year per student. Your argument is not about the failure of school vouchers, your argument is that your leaders told you what to think.
There you go again telling me what I think. Your simple mind isn't capable of grasping what I think. take your time and read s-l-o-w-l-y. That might give that other brain cell time to fire up and facilitate better understanding.

Here goes: I know your tax dollars pay for public schools as does mine and people who don't even have kids. The problem with a national voucher system those tax dollars will be redirected to private schools while public schools will have far less funding than they do now. That is problematic because if vouchers do not cover the entire tuition of private schools the poor will still be going to public schools since many likely can't afford to take money out of their pockets to make up the difference. And wealthier kids , whose parents can afford to meet the co payment, will be going to voucher schools where the best teachers will be attracted by higher pay and where profit margins rule.

So would you think most Americans are going to support the tax dollar financing of TWO schools systems. One for the middle class and one for the poor? I'd rather leave it like it is, overhaul the present system and make it better. Some studies have shown no appreciable academic advantage for private schools over public schools.

Close down under preforming schools and give teachers Marriott pay ....Competition is the answer school choice :thup:

Failing Milwaukee voucher schools: “These are experiments that are being run on black students”

Failing Milwaukee voucher schools: “These are experiments that are being run on black students”

Researcher ‘stunned’ by high rate of voucher school failures in Milwaukee

“I do not mean failed as in they did not deliver academically, I mean failed as in they no longer exist,” University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh Professor Michael Ford wrote. “These 102 schools either closed after having their voucher revenue cut off by the Department of Public Instruction, or simply shut their doors. The failure rate for entrepreneurial start-up schools is even worse: 67.8 percent.”

Ford is a former vice president of School Choice Wisconsin.

In a summary of his study, he concludes:

“The larger, perhaps more troubling legacy of the first 25 years of the Milwaukee voucher experience is the problem of externalities…When a school closes, students and parents must find new schools, student records may be lost, student achievement will likely suffer, and the public investment in failed institutions is lost.

“In other words,” he writes, “school closures are disruptive, and inevitable in market-based school reforms that encourage entrepreneurship. Anyone in Milwaukee over the past two decades can remember specific cases of school failures, so the fact that failure occurred is likely not surprising, but I was admittedly stunned by the high failure rates.
Researcher 'stunned' by high rate of voucher school failures in Milwaukee - WEAC

If memory serves, Milwaukee is where the voucher system started.

Records get lost in inefficient public schools. Private schools should be an option. For profit schools would do a better job of educating our kids without all the waste, fraud, and abuse

1.Are you crazy or just dumb! The quote you are responding to has no mention of Kennedy. You need to put that bottle away… you are starting to hallucinate…

So you think public schools are free and don't take your tax dollars? WTF do you live anyway?

Over half of my property taxes go to our schools that I nor my tenants have children in. One of my tenants home schools their kids and that's a huge financial loss to them because the mother has to stay home to do so.

The average public school cost around 13K a year per student. Your argument is not about the failure of school vouchers, your argument is that your leaders told you what to think.
There you go again telling me what I think. Your simple mind isn't capable of grasping what I think. take your time and read s-l-o-w-l-y. That might give that other brain cell time to fire up and facilitate better understanding.

Here goes: I know your tax dollars pay for public schools as does mine and people who don't even have kids. The problem with a national voucher system those tax dollars will be redirected to private schools while public schools will have far less funding than they do now. That is problematic because if vouchers do not cover the entire tuition of private schools the poor will still be going to public schools since many likely can't afford to take money out of their pockets to make up the difference. And wealthier kids , whose parents can afford to meet the co payment, will be going to voucher schools where the best teachers will be attracted by higher pay and where profit margins rule.

So would you think most Americans are going to support the tax dollar financing of TWO schools systems. One for the middle class and one for the poor? I'd rather leave it like it is, overhaul the present system and make it better. Some studies have shown no appreciable academic advantage for private schools over public schools.

Close down under preforming schools and give teachers Marriott pay ....Competition is the answer school choice :thup:

“I do not mean failed as in they did not deliver academically, I mean failed as in they no longer exist,” University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh Professor Michael Ford wrote. “These 102 schools either closed after having their voucher revenue cut off by the Department of Public Instruction, or simply shut their doors. The failure rate for entrepreneurial start-up schools is even worse: 67.8 percent.”

“The larger, perhaps more troubling legacy of the first 25 years of the Milwaukee voucher experience is the problem of externalities…When a school closes, students and parents must find new schools, student records may be lost, student achievement will likely suffer, and the public investment in failed institutions is lost.

“In other words,” he writes, “school closures are disruptive, and inevitable in market-based school reforms that encourage entrepreneurship. Anyone in Milwaukee over the past two decades can remember specific cases of school failures, so the fact that failure occurred is likely not surprising, but I was admittedly stunned by the high failure rates.
Researcher 'stunned' by high rate of voucher school failures in Milwaukee - WEAC

Records get lost in inefficient public schools. Private schools should be an option. For profit schools would do a better job of educating our kids without all the waste, fraud, and abuse

So you think corruption doesn't happen in voucher schools .. is that your argument?

Voucher school leader indicted for stealing taxpayer money spotted at new Choice school
Voucher school leader indicted for stealing taxpayer money spotted at new Choice school

School officials charged with voucher theft

TALLAHASSEE -- A Polk County Christian school accepted state voucher money for disabled children who didn't attend the school, leading to the arrest of seven officials Tuesday, authorities said.

Faith Christian Academy in Bartow also defrauded a voucher program in which corporations receive tax credits for providing private school scholarships to poor children, according to an affidavit filed by investigators. In addition, it took money from a federal free lunch program for more students than actually attended the school.

Test scores at many voucher schools prove the students were no better off .. and in some cases, much worse off.

So you think corruption doesn't happen in voucher schools .. is that your argument?

TALLAHASSEE -- A Polk County Christian school accepted state voucher money for disabled children who didn't attend the school, leading to the arrest of seven officials Tuesday, authorities said.

Faith Christian Academy in Bartow also defrauded a voucher program in which corporations receive tax credits for providing private school scholarships to poor children, according to an affidavit filed by investigators. In addition, it took money from a federal free lunch program for more students than actually attended the school.

Test scores at many voucher schools prove the students were no better off .. and in some cases, much worse off.

Waste and corruption, go hand in hand with big, bloated, crony, government

Waste and corruption, go hand in hand with big, bloated, crony, government

That's it? Meme is all you've got?

:lol:

Ever since the Obama administration filed suit to freeze Louisiana’s school voucher program, high-ranking Republicans have pummeled the president for trapping poor kids in failing public schools. The entire House leadership sent a letter of protest. Majority Leader Eric Cantor blistered the president for denying poor kids “a way into a brighter future.”

And Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal accused the president of “ripping low-income minority students out of good schools” that could “help them achieve their dreams.”

But behind the outrage is an inconvenient truth: Taxpayers across the U.S. will soon be spending $1 billion a year to help families pay private school tuition — and there’s little evidence that the investment yields academic gains.

In Milwaukee, just 13 percent of voucher students scored proficient in math and 11 percent made the bar in reading this spring. That’s worse on both counts than students in the city’s public schools. In Cleveland, voucher students in most grades performed worse than their peers in public schools in math, though they did better in reading.

In New Orleans, voucher students who struggle academically haven’t advanced to grade-level work any faster over the past two years than students in the public schools, many of which are rated D or F, state data show.

And across Louisiana, many of the most popular private schools for voucher students posted miserable scores in math, reading, science and social studies this spring, with fewer than half their voucher students achieving even basic proficiency and fewer than 2 percent demonstrating mastery. Seven schools did so badly, state Superintendent John White barred them from accepting new voucher students — though the state agreed to keep paying tuition for the more than 200 voucher students already enrolled, if they chose to stay.

Nationwide, many schools participating in voucher programs infuse religion through their curriculum. Zack Kopplin, a student activist who favors rigorous science education, has found more than 300 voucher schools across the U.S. that teach the Biblical story of creation as science; some also instruct children that the world is just several thousand years old and use textbooks describing the Loch Ness Monster as a living dinosaur. Parents at one such school in Louisiana received a newsletter calling secular scientists “sinful men.”

What do you get out of limiting the opportunities for minority kids in failing schools?..Failing schools would be shut down or eliminated from the program..very simple logic actually...cup cake:slap:

What do you get out of limiting the opportunities for minority kids in failing schools?..Failing schools would be shut down or eliminated from the program..very simple logic actually...cup cake

Apparently this black loves failing schools and thinks they should stay the same with no other option.

What do you get out of limiting the opportunities for minority kids in failing schools?..Failing schools would be shut down or eliminated from the program..very simple logic actually...cup cake:slap:

Obviously there are many failing voucher schools .. and if you can read that would be obvious to you .. dickhead.

What do you get out of limiting the opportunities for minority kids in failing schools?..Failing schools would be shut down or eliminated from the program..very simple logic actually...cup cake

Apparently this black loves failing schools and thinks they should stay the same with no other option.

Kiss my ass pinkie.

I went to public schools .. and I easily destroy the morons on this board ... where logic is a foreign language.

You're a fucking racist .. who in the fuck cares what shit like you thinks about black people. :0) You must be joking.

Trump's entire base is made up of dumb motherfuckers like you.

There are other cities just like Detroit and they all have the same two things in common
Well, golly gee Homer. You disparage the democrats for the plights of a few cities but the republicans rule over the poorest states in the country. Last time I checked the red states were quite numerous and many of those, if not most, were economically depressed.
OTOH Democrat controlled states are footing the bill for your poor republican enclaves.

Last time I checked in my state, there are 6 red districts and 1 blue one. NONE of the 6 red ones comes anywhere close to getting the freebies the 1 blue one does. In fact, the blue one is the only one of them 7 where more than 20% of the residents use food stamps. Demographics explain a lot of that.
I'd rather live in the 6 that have all the money and jobs.
If you fall for the Con's anecdote you'll fall for anything!
No. What I'm saying is the guy acts like the poor district is lucky to be getting the freebees. He should trade his financial stability for those freebees.

Red states like to make fun of Detroit but go down south and next to every poor black city is a rich white city. Those white hiring managers are not hiring the most qualified they hire the guy they'd rather work with. This is the truth. This is why blacks are disadvantaged.

If white hiring managers went out of their way to hire some blacks, we'd be good.
I see where you are going with your anecdote. You are not admitting that poverty has a white face no matter whether it is in the Southern or in northern metro areas. That is not ME saying that it is referenced in a link I posted earlier.

...Ahh, yes, life is far better for Blacks in the republican led red states where they sweat and toil for their former "conservative" friends for a pittance. Them evil democrats got 'em n a plantation up north but the republiKLANS in the south hs done so much better for them.
Oh, the Republicans aren't going to do shit for them... which is probably the biggest favor they could do Blacks... make 'em Do For Themselves.

The Democrats phukk 'em over too, it's just that their way is more seductive, insidious and longer-term and further reaching and a far more profound screwing-over...
You have just proved that todays republicans have no resemblance to those who ended slavery. Thanks. But no thanks for your "make Blacks do for themselves," statement. Blacks are , for the most part, doing for themselves. But integration has robbed them of that community building process where the dollar circulated in their communities several times before leaving. Integration decimated Black enterprise and businesses.

What a weak reply…Blackascoal just shut your dumbass down…live with it!

The other "option" is to reform underperforming public schools and fix them. Why is that so hard for you to understand.

Was it rational?
Was there any possible positive outcome?
Did 40 years of Globalism make it a possibility?
No, no and no…Outsiders who didn't even live inFerguson were the perps. After all it wasn't their town…they just took advantage of the peaceful protest to loot and burn!

Outsiders?

Yep, some of the ferguson residents tried to protect buildings from being torched because they worked there .

Ferguson: outsiders spread unrest and unease in pursuit of eclectic aims

Obama and those congress people perpetrated a fraud and fomented violence for political gain you should be embarrasses suburbanite boy:slap:

JQ is just another angry Black guy.

I've got you RW zombies rambling….a sure sign of defeat….

Gee, Americans United for Separation of Church and State. No bias there. :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

At least I proved links to support my premises, where are yours? :lol:

You do realize the the Democrats already tried to throw blacks under the bus by fighting vouchers, don't you? The court ruled against them.

No, got a link?

t's not a mixture of Church and State when the parent decides on what kind of education they want their child to have. Nobody is forcing religion into pubic schools, therefore, if a parent desires a religious environment for their children to have in school that they can't fully afford themselves, it's not bothering anybody else.

What are you referring to….quote please!

You are just talking out of your ass again...

The other "option" is to reform underperforming public schools and fix them. Why is that so hard for you to understand.

BINGO !!!

Kiss my ass pinkie.

I went to public schools .. and I easily destroy the morons on this board ... where logic is a foreign language.

You're a fucking racist .. who in the fuck cares what shit like you thinks about black people. :0) You must be joking.

Trump's entire base is made up of dumb motherfuckers like you.

Learn how to speak without using profanity you lowlife...

School Choice - The Case For Vouchers | The Battle Over School Choice | FRONTLINE | PBS

Yeah..Why is it so hard? suburbanite boy:slap:

Forum List

Back