Trump Will Renegotiate or Withdraw from NAFTA

georgephillip

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2009
Los Angeles, California
At least. that's today's bit of billionaire bluster:

"Donald Trump on Tuesday said he will demand a renegotiation of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) between the United States, Mexico and Canada.

"If those other countries refuse the renegotiation, Trump said he would withdraw from the trade pact, which would cause tariffs on imports from those countries and exports from the United States to rise.

"'I'm going to tell our NAFTA partners that I intend to immediately renegotiate the terms of that agreement to get a better deal for our workers,' Trump said during remarks at an aluminum facility in Monessen, Pa., near Pittsburgh.

"'And I don't mean just a little bit better, I mean a lot better,' he said.

"'If they do not agree to a renegotiation, then I will submit notice under Article 2205 of the NAFTA agreement that America intends to withdraw from the deal.'”
Trump says he will renegotiate or withdraw from NAFTA
Should we label this USexit?

"Trump's remarks come on the eve of the start of the North American Leaders summit in Ottawa, Canada. U.S businesses leaders are calling on U.S., Mexican and Canadian leaders to tighten their economic ties in the wake of Britain's vote to leave the European Union.

"The presumptive Republican presidential nominee also said he would kill the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal negotiated by President Obama, which is the biggest trade deal since NAFTA.

"The comments suggest Trump is going after blue-collar workers on the left and the right who are upset with free-trade policies as he seeks to make inroads against Hillary Clinton, the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee."

"Trump's remarks come on the eve of the start of the North American Leaders summit in Ottawa, Canada. U.S businesses leaders are calling on U.S., Mexican and Canadian leaders to tighten their economic ties in the wake of Britain's vote to leave the European Union.

"The presumptive Republican presidential nominee also said he would kill the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal negotiated by President Obama, which is the biggest trade deal since NAFTA.

"The comments suggest Trump is going after blue-collar workers on the left and the right who are upset with free-trade policies as he seeks to make inroads against Hillary Clinton, the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee."
He sounds like a Democrat on this tariff issue.

My Democrat running in my district said "I believes in trade agreements that are mutually beneficial, will increase benefits, and bring back jobs."

And we've been saying that since the early 2000's. Bill Clinton signed NAFTA but the GOP made NAFTA and if you want trade to be fair then you are going to cost the corporations who pushed NAFTA in the first place. American workers make too much. Labor costs.

So if you vote for Trump because he's going to bring jobs back home, don't vote GOP Senators and House members because they are against that sort of thing.

My Democrat running in my district said "I believes in trade agreements that are mutually beneficial, will increase benefits, and bring back jobs."

And we've been saying that since the early 2000's. Bill Clinton signed NAFTA but the GOP made NAFTA and if you want trade to be fair then you are going to cost the corporations who pushed NAFTA in the first place. American workers make too much. Labor costs.

So if you vote for Trump because he's going to bring jobs back home, don't vote GOP Senators and House members because they are against that sort of thing.
Trump is big and persuasive enough to make fair trade deals a permanent part of our party platform. Predictions that he will be hopelessly at loggerheads with Congress are premature. When the details of the new deal are hammered out, Republicans will see it works out better for America and get on board.

Trump is big and persuasive enough to make fair trade deals a permanent part of our party platform. Predictions that he will be hopelessly at loggerheads with Congress are premature. When the details of the new deal are hammered out, Republicans will see it works out better for America and get on board.
It won't be better for consumers, shareholders and corporations. Boy this is a flip flop but I'm happy to see it.

How do your fellow Republicans feel about tariffing companies and consumers?

It won't be better for consumers, shareholders and corporations. Boy this is a flip flop but I'm happy to see it.

How do your fellow Republicans feel about tariffing companies and consumers?
I think you missed the boat. If we do to them what they do to us maybe they will stop the practice.

What's the leftists solution? More regulations on business? Shut down even more industries? Raise taxes? That's all I've seen so far.

"Donald Trump on Tuesday said he will demand a renegotiation of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) between the United States, Mexico and Canada.

"If those other countries refuse the renegotiation, Trump said he would withdraw from the trade pact, which would cause tariffs on imports from those countries and exports from the United States to rise.

"'I'm going to tell our NAFTA partners that I intend to immediately renegotiate the terms of that agreement to get a better deal for our workers,' Trump said during remarks at an aluminum facility in Monessen, Pa., near Pittsburgh.

"'If they do not agree to a renegotiation, then I will submit notice under Article 2205 of the NAFTA agreement that America intends to withdraw from the deal.'”
I don't think anybody likes NAFTA.

But I don't think anybody in any swing states likes Trump either.

What in NAFTA is not a FAIR deal? Can you be specific? Do Canada and Mexico manipulate their currency? Or do they put tariffs on our goods? What is it in NAFTA that Trump is going to renegotiate?

What in NAFTA is not a FAIR deal? Can you be specific? Do Canada and Mexico manipulate their currency? Or do they put tariffs on our goods? What is it in NAFTA that Trump is going to renegotiate?
When I say NAFTA I mean all trade deals especially bad deals with countries like China.

And it may be a tariff on companies not countries.

Will this be before or after he takes his shit out of Mexico?

Will this be before or after he takes his shit out of Mexico?
Trump has a history in Mexico that could be as troubling as his organized crime ties in Manhattan if his supporters were inclined to consider the details rationally:
http://www.mexicomatters.net/mexicorealestate/29_donaldtrumpjustanotheramericangangsterinbaja.php

"The 32 million dollars that 'investors' lost in the Trump Towers scam is but another example of a U.S. marketing team with a 'credible name' ripping off fellow citizens in Mexico.

"I use the term 'investor' in quotes because many of the victims were investor-speculators.

"The 'flipping' of condos, held with large deposits during 'presale', became extremely popular and highly profitable, in the Baja boom days – 2002 to 2007. During construction, condos would often triple in value before completion.

"The same speculator motivation, in the overvalued U.S. real estate and stock markets, made Baja an attractive alternative.

"They drove the few miles across the border with the allure of a higher return on investment.

"But, like the sub prime mortgage market and derivative stock manipulations: Laws, regulation and enforcement protection are sorely lacking. And investor safeguards, on unfinished projects, is particularly lacking in Mexico."

Why do you suppose that they have exit provisions if it is just crazy that anyone would ever use them, Sherlock?

Yes, Mexico engaged in currency manipulation, collapsing the peso within months of the deal going into force.

There are plenty of other critics of NAFTA as well for a million reasons.

Why NAFTA is Bad for the U.S. | Economy In Crisis

When we examine the details of the “free trade” agreement, it is easy to see why it has caused so much devastation. From toxic imports to the flooding of illegal immigrants, NAFTA has all but decimated the United States.

Week after week we hear about recalls of imports, including imports from Mexico and Canada. ...

Because of NAFTA, American workers are now forced to compete directly with Mexican workers who, on average, make just $3 per hour. Their American counterparts make $18 per hour. .....

We had a small trade surplus with Mexico in 1993 before signing onto NAFTA. By 2007, 14 years after signing NAFTA, that surplus turned into a $91 billion deficit with Mexico. ....

Illegal immigrants in the U.S. have increased to 12 million today from 3.9 million in 1993, accounting for an overall increase of over 300 percent. Since NAFTA was implemented, 300,000 American family farms have been put out of business. Overall, net farm incomes are down 13 percent.....

The cruel reality of NAFTA is that it does not benefit the American worker. In fact, it encourages our jobs to leave the country in pursuit of lower wage rates, non-existent environmental standards and trade without restrictions.

NAFTA was a disaster when it was passed by Congress, a disaster when it was enacted and it remains a disaster today.

NAFTA is apparently one issue that Trump has been consistent on over the past three decades. I'm not sure how he will tax US corporations making products in Mexico or China for sale in the US when those products come into domestic markets, but at least he appears to be on the side of US workers which looks much better than Hillary's 20 year support for the neoliberal economy.
3648DF5D00000578-3690962-image-a-11_1468529524993.jpg

Why do you suppose that they have exit provisions if it is just crazy that anyone would ever use them, Sherlock?
Maybe they never anticipated anyone as Crazy as Trump getting close to the White House?

If his tariffs spark a trade war, we could see a lot more US jobs lost.
Can a country withdraw from a free trade agreement (NAFTA)?

"Each free trade agreement sets the terms, so the answer will vary by FTA. In the case of NAFTA, the terms of withdrawal are dictated in Article 2205. Specifically:

"Article 2205: Withdrawal

"A Party may withdraw from this Agreement six months after it provides written notice of withdrawal to the other Parties. If a Party withdraws, the Agreement shall remain in force for the remaining Parties.

"The 6 month written notification is fairly standard for most international agreements, free trade or otherwise.

"Article 2205 also answers whether or not a country can force another out: No.

"If one country were to leave NAFTA, the others would still have the agreement, at least nominally, but if that country were the U.S., Mexico and Canada would have a hard time making NAFTA worthwhile."

Maybe they never anticipated anyone as Crazy as Trump getting close to the White House?
Maybe they never thought that the American people would wake up to the corruption in DC because the royal Clinton family got so fucking greedy that they started selling out this country for tens of millions of dollars in donations and 'speaking fees' and the media cant hide all that graft?

The point is that NAFTA is a loser for America and Trump is exactly right.

It needs to be either renegotiated or just withdrawn from.

Forum List

Back