Trumps personal attorney speaks out on Congressional Hearings

President Trump, by talking/tweeting about his meeting with Comey, made the entire interaction open to discuss.

Trump said Comey called for the dinner, Trump said Comey asked for his job at the dinner etc.....(all of which Comey denies)

By Trump telling the public about the dinner, allows Comey to go public with his version.
EWven if Trump told people about the dinner, Comey still could talk about it. There wasn't anything really leak.
hi Jackson,
Yes, because Trump did not exercise executive privilege...Comey could discuss it...

But Pres Trump could not exercise his executive privilege, due to tweeting about the dinner.

Nothing discussed was classified is also true, however even non classified discussions between the president and his dept heads can be held confidential by the president if the president wished to do so, by exercising executive privilege....but in the Comey/ Trump dinner case....Trump forfeited his executive privilege rights due to tweeting about the dinner.
You don't understand executive privilege at all. The office of POTUS does not have to claim Executive Privilege to keep his Conversations Private.

By default all Conversations with POTUS are "privileged"
That is the first layer of Executive Privilege.
Now, a person under oath, can talk about those "privileged conversations" IF POTUS does not ELEVATE the CLASSIFICATION and SECURITY RATING of those conversations.

This is why there are Private and Public sessions with "witnesses" when discussing certain Conversations with THE PRESIDENT. Sometimes the conversations automatically become elevated simply due to the content being discussed being classified.

The President can elevate any Conversation he has with anyone at the drop of a hat, and if he does this he can elevate it to the highest level which only persons with the highest clearance would be privileged to hear, or The POTUS can simply declare a Conversation OFF LIMITS so to speak for even those with the highest clearances.

Last edited:
This was Not Privileged Communications ~ Everything the president say's is not Privileged like Trump would like to think he is..lol

Haa Haaa... Such a Trump and Attorney reply..

He leaked his own memo...and they're making it sound like it's criminal? :dunno:
Did he?

His friend leaked that there were contemporaneous notes taken by Comey regarding their meetings but NOT the notes themselves.is my understanding....the press never got his actual notes?

This was Not Privileged Communications ~ Everything the president say's is not Privileged like Trump would like to think he is..lol

He leaked his own memo...and they're making it sound like it's criminal? :dunno:
Did he?

His friend leaked that there were contemporaneous notes taken by Comey regarding their meetings but NOT the notes themselves.is my understanding....the press never got his actual notes?

I'm not actually sure...

Did he?

I'm not actually sure...
Me either....other than I am a news hound and usually catch those things and know I never got to read his actual notes/memos.

President Trump, by talking/tweeting about his meeting with Comey, made the entire interaction open to discuss.

Trump said Comey called for the dinner, Trump said Comey asked for his job at the dinner etc.....(all of which Comey denies)

By Trump telling the public about the dinner, allows Comey to go public with his version.
EWven if Trump told people about the dinner, Comey still could talk about it. There wasn't anything really leak.
hi Jackson,
Yes, because Trump did not exercise executive privilege...Comey could discuss it...

But Pres Trump could not exercise his executive privilege, due to tweeting about the dinner.

Nothing discussed was classified is also true, however even non classified discussions between the president and his dept heads can be held confidential by the president if the president wished to do so, by exercising executive privilege....but in the Comey/ Trump dinner case....Trump forfeited his executive privilege rights due to tweeting about the dinner.
Thanks for that. Did you see OriginalTrees post? That seems possible, too. Would like to see it in a link. Did you research this?
Executive privilege - Wikipedia

Did he?

I'm not actually sure...
Me either....other than I am a news hound and usually catch those things and know I never got to read his actual notes/memos.
They are saying one was released on the news....So I'm wrong!

I'm not an expert on this. Are conversations with the president at all timesprivileged or when he states it?
Despite the posturings of the ignorant .... yes, they are. They are released solely at the discretion of the President - usually thru his Communications Office.

Did he?

I'm not actually sure...
He doesn't have to EVOKE Executive Privilege to be covered by Executive Privilege.
Evoking Executive Privilege is what I spoke about earlier, when a POTUS elevates conversations or information to a higher security classification.

All Private Coversations with POTUS are covered by Basic Executive Privilege standards, otherwise THE POTUS could NEVER have a Private Conversation, and people would not be bound to keep such Conversations Private.

Can you imagine how ridiculous it would be, for POTUS to have to declare every single time someone talked to him that "I EVOKE EXECUTIVE PRIVILEGE"?

And if you don't believe me, then believe his Attorney.

The second his attorney called the conversation with President Trump "Privileged" means that they have a security rating, and that Comey violated the law.

What I found on Executive Privilege:

The broad discussion of Executive Privilege is:

1. In the United States government, executive privilege is the power claimed by the President of the United States and other members of the executive branch to resist certain subpoenas and other interventions by the legislative and judicial branches of government to access information and personnel relating to the executive branch.

The SC legitimecized the idea of EP there was indeed a qualified privilege

2. The Supreme Court confirmed the legitimacy of this doctrine in United States v. Nixon, but only to the extent of confirming that there is a qualified privilege. Once invoked, a presumption of privilege is established

However, the SC spoke of EP as protection of High Government between High Government officials who advised and assist them; expectations public dissemination of their remarks may well taper candor and concern for appearances...

3. The Supreme Court did not reject the claim of privilege out of hand; it noted, in fact, "the valid need for protection of communications between high Government officials and those who advise and assist them in the performance of their manifold duties" and that "[h]uman experience teaches that those who expect public dissemination of their remarks may well temper candor with a concern for appearances and for their own interests to the detriment of the decisionmaking process."

Several instances where president invoked EP... is that what is needed?

4. The Clinton administration invoked executive privilege on fourteen occasions.

The Bush administration invoked executive privilege on six occasions.

Again another president asserted that privilege to withhold documents

6. On June 20, 2012, President Barack Obama asserted executive privilege, his first, to withhold certain Department of Justice documents related to the ongoing Operation Fast and Furious controversy ahead of a United States House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform vote to hold Attorney General Eric Holder in Contempt of Congress for refusing to produce the documents.

Executive privilege - Wikipedia

So I am taking that Executive Privilege may be invoked, or asserted when another entity wants them, not that they are confidential, top secret or classified. Number 3 appears to be more problematic in regard to Mr. Trump's ability to do his job and in decision making.

See what you think. This does not appear that everything in the oval office is confidential.

Did he?

I'm not actually sure...
He doesn't have to EVOKE Executive Privilege to be covered by Executive Privilege.
Evoking Executive Privilege is what I spoke about earlier, when a POTUS elevates conversations or information to a higher security classification.

All Private Coversations with POTUS are covered by Basic Executive Privilege standards, otherwise THE POTUS could NEVER have a Private Conversation, and people would not be bound to keep such Conversations Private.

Can you imagine how ridiculous it would be, for POTUS to have to declare every single time someone talked to him that "I EVOKE EXECUTIVE PRIVILEGE"?

The second his attorney called the conversation with President Trump "Privileged" means that they have a security rating, and that Comey violated the law.

If the president makes it public first, he can it be considered priveleged?

Did he?

I'm not actually sure...

From what Comey said , he gave the notes to his friend..so yes that is confusing isn't it?

Did he?

I'm not actually sure...

No....these guy are distracting the fact that Trump did indeed embarrass his party today...

Did he?

I'm not actually sure...

I just asked my husband who is an attorney to verify that No Trump can not use Executive Privilege because he needs to call it just that before the meeting... So Trump didn't do that and this is bogus..

He made some other mistakes (told lies?) - one was just discussed on MSNBC.

He said the NYT printed something before Comey released it.

Not true.

Funny that trump couldn't get a lawyer who specializes but none of the big ones will take him on as a client. They all watched today and celebrated that they dodged that bullet.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

Did he?

I'm not actually sure...
They got handed over to Mueller by the FBI. Comey apparently didn't have them after he was fired, either.

I just asked my husband who is an attorney to verify that No Trump can not use Executive Privilege because he needs to call it just that before the meeting... So Trump didn't do that and this is bogus..
Your husband is a constitutional law expert? Or he chases ambulances? Makes a difference.

Your husband is a constitutional law expert? Or he chases ambulances? Makes a difference.

He was the Mayor of my town for 10 years..

He was the Mayor of my town for 10 years..
Wow. A mayor. Politically neutral then?

He is liberal , but being in that position he had to be neutral..I was not liked by my family very much last year when I liked Trump..( I seriously was fooled thinking Trump was neutral )....

I'm not an expert on this. Are conversations with the president at all timesprivileged or when he states it?

I am not either...but the leaking of Comey's memos were not classified and putting out a conversation is not illegal.

What bothers me the most is Trump doing his "Trying to scare someone quiet " with his reply to comey.. It may hae worked for Trump Tower, but it will not work in the WH.
This is what trump does...and I bet he forgot that Comey didn't sign one of his NDAs.

Forum List

Back