Tucson leaders to consider ‘Climate Emergency’ declaration

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
On the heels of record-breaking summer month, city leaders are set to take a serious look at Tucson’s temperatures and sustainability moving forward.
Tucson City Council will discuss a declaration of a ’Climate Emergency’ at September 9′s meeting. The resolution includes a request in regional collaboration for a “more ecologically, socially and economically sustainable city.”
Mayor Regina Romero said declaring an emergency would be more than making a statement.
“We don’t have time to waste,” said Mayor Romero. “It’s life or death and it is a public health issue as well.”
According to a memorandum filed by Mayor Romero and Council Member Paul Durham, Tucson is facing a real climate change threat in public health and safety that can increase the local risks and worsen the effects of major hazards such as wildfires, drought, extreme heat, and flooding.

Ok. There is nothing that Tucson can do to reverse this. There is absolutely nothing that Tucson can do at this point to stop climate change from happening. I think it's arrogant bs, and a waste of both time and money, to operate as if that can be done.

Good for Tucson. Climate change will soon be the number one issue this nation and the world will need to confront. These wild weather patterns, wickedly high temperatures, and melting glaciers and ice caps will disrupt everyone’s lives. You think the refugee crisis is bad now. Just wait until portions of the globe become uninhabitable whether due to high temperatures or increased desertification. Tucson is right. Let us hope more cities and states and US. Representatives and Senators and Presidents pick up this baton.

I haven't been out west in several years. The last time I was, temperatures hit 114F.

While it was a novelty for me being an East Coast resident, nobody out there batted an eye. No one whined, no one complained. No governments declared a "climate emergency."

What happened?

Mayorette Romero is a real doofus. A heat wave in Tucson, or wherever, is WEATHER, not climate at all.

Further, the Tucson city constabularies could outlaw SUV's, eliminate fossil fuels, institute socialized medicine, open the border, and promote gay adoptions, and it would still be hot out.

Which will do what precisely?
There is a pattern to climate denial that follows the conservative playbook on all environmental issues.

Deny it exists, and once it is determined to exist, say it is too expensive to deal with, and when the expense is no longer an issue, say it is too late to do anything about it.

Battling climate change will have to be done on a grassroots level. City and local governments will need to implement more climate friendly rules and regs. That is why Tucson’s , as well as local government everywhere, actions are so important.

There is a pattern to climate denial that follows the conservative playbook on all environmental issues.

Deny it exists, and once it is determined to exist, say it is too expensive to deal with, and when the expense is no longer an issue, say it is too late to do anything about it.

Battling climate change will have to be done on a grassroots level. City and local governments will need to implement more climate friendly rules and regs. That is why Tucson’s , as well as local government everywhere, actions are so important.

How will "climate friendly rules" change the weather in your view?

The heat has surely jacked with their minds as they feel that sitting in the air-conditioning and pontificating is the most productive way to go about it. Chicago actually has this thing called cooling stations where the elderly and others can go.

It is about lessening our carbon footprint. Encouraging solar panels, larger lot sizes, more environmentally friendly buildings, stricter building codes, more green spaces, etc. if done on a national scale will help reduce our carbon emissions. In addition to making this nation more energy efficient it will make for a healthier environment.

See post 10.

See post 10.

That doesn't answer my question. That's a bitch fest on "conservatives". The issue that Tucson has right now is that they are seeing more deaths due to the heat. So, rather than focus on the immediate crisis and solving immediate problems they are going to....................do what precisely? Also, I'm going to need a timeline for how long these actions are going to take to solve the problem.

Changing climate patterns as a natural cycle is not in doubt.

Anthropogenic influence is. You can mandate pedal-driven cars and cork up all bovine asses and it will not make one whit of difference.

See post 10.

That doesn't answer my question. That's a bitch fest on "conservatives". The issue that Tucson has right now is that they are seeing more deaths due to the heat. So, rather than focus on the immediate crisis and solving immediate problems they are going to....................do what precisely? Also, I'm going to need a timeline for how long these actions are going to take to solve the problem.
I told you what needs to be done, I will not fall into your rabbit hole. Unlike you, I don’t think it is too late to deal with the climate crisis. I reiterate Tucson is right. It is not the only municipality taking action to confront climate change in the US or across the globe. The grassroots efforts will be critical in combating climate change.

Good for Tucson. Climate change will soon be the number one issue this nation and the world will need to confront. These wild weather patterns, wickedly high temperatures, and melting glaciers and ice caps will disrupt everyone’s lives. You think the refugee crisis is bad now. Just wait until portions of the globe become uninhabitable whether due to high temperatures or increased desertification. Tucson is right. Let us hope more cities and states and US. Representatives and Senators and Presidents pick up this baton.

And of course the solution to all this is more government control and less freedom. Watermelons all of you.

See post 10.

I told you what needs to be done, I will not fall into your rabbit hole. Unlike you, I don’t think it is too late to deal with the climate crisis. I reiterate Tucson is right. It is not the only municipality taking action to confront climate change in the US or across the globe. The grassroots efforts will be critical in combating climate change.
It's about money.......how can we stampede rubes into buying our stuff that doesn't work and won't do a damn thing

It is about lessening our carbon footprint. Encouraging solar panels, larger lot sizes, more environmentally friendly buildings, stricter building codes, more green spaces, etc. if done on a national scale will help reduce our carbon emissions. In addition to making this nation more energy efficient it will make for a healthier environment.

Again, more government control, more costs to people, and of course more money to be made by those in the "right" industries.

Solar panels without massive grid storage are worthless. If you really want to eliminate fossil fuel use for grid energy generation you need to go nuclear/fission, and you need to go big with it.

See post 10.

It's nothing more than virtue signaling over the latest lefty boogeyman to be used to implement their Marxist wet dreams.

The funny thing is that when Marxists do gain power environmental controls go to hell, because when the foxes run the hen house they don't try to stop certain foxes from going to town.

Forum List

Back