DSC_8838.jpg

DSC_8853.jpg

DSC_9181.jpg

DSC_8721.jpg

Istanbul:

DSC_0096.jpg

Near Taksim square:

DSC_0037.jpg

Well, these photos tell the story. What a "shit hole" indeed.
Unfortunately the story they tell is of the OP and his blind ignorance.

All this stuff is really making me miss Turkey!! :( I'd go there in a heartbeat right now if it were possible.

I doubt I'll be able to afford to go back, but it was quite a trip.

Like I said, I lived there for two years, and it was a great experience. I've been back for short trips, but it's been a while. I was in Istanbul for a 24 hour layover a few months ago. Before that staying with a friend in Istanbul. I'd go back to work there again if I could, but it's not in the cards at present.

Istanbul is an ideal stopover for me, because it's a good route from Helsinki to the Middle East or East Africa, so I pass through most years and always book in a couple of days to wander around.

I can visit places like the mosque of Suleyman the Magnificent endless times, even the GrandCarsi market gets a bit dull after the 5th or 5th visit!

Istanbul is an ideal stopover for me, because it's a good route from Helsinki to the Middle East or East Africa, so I pass through most years and always book in a couple of days to wander around.

I can visit places like the mosque of Suleyman the Magnificent endless times, even the GrandCarsi market gets a bit dull after the 5th or 5th visit!

The last time I was in Istanbul staying with my friend, we spent a day in the Grand Bazaar Kapalıçarşı. I am not normally a shopper, but it was something we had done on occasion when we lived in Izmir, going to the bazaars. It's great because she is Turkish and can get all the deals as long as I keep my mouth shut. Talk about shop 'till you drop! It's a marvelous place though.

Sorry bout that,

1. Turkey gets it shit bunched up and then wants to take revenge on Israel, muslims always blame Jews.
2. That's when Israel does some tricky shit to Turkey.
3. And then Russia,.....

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Hey fuckstick - Türkiye and Israel are allies.

Amid sound and fury, Turkey-Israel alliance endures
spacer.gif

ANKARA - Relations between Turkey and Israel have a long and dramatic history, but over time the two countries have transcended their differences and grown closer in light of a mutual interest in promoting a democratic Middle East and, according to experts, Turkey’s outspoken stance this time around will be no different

7081174.jpg

Israeli aggression against Palestinians in the Gaza Strip will not stunt the growing ties between Israel and Turkey, despite that the Turkish government has become the most outspoken state in criticizing the Israeli government.

"I do not think that relations will deteriorate because there are fundamental reasons why Turkey and Israel have the same interests. Both are democratic states and influence the region in becoming a democratic one," Zvi Elpeleg, former Israeli ambassador to Turkey told Hürriyet Daily News & Economic Review in a telephone interview yesterday.

The last time I was in Istanbul staying with my friend, we spent a day in the Grand Bazaar Kapalıçarşı. I am not normally a shopper, but it was something we had done on occasion when we lived in Izmir, going to the bazaars. It's great because she is Turkish and can get all the deals as long as I keep my mouth shut. Talk about shop 'till you drop! It's a marvelous place though.
I kept going back to the Grand Bazaar. Good for looking at people as well as merchandise.

I am very grateful to the OP and Circe for their useful information on this thread.

Prior to this thread, I did bot know that all of the cool Turkish people I have met the past few years were my enemy. Know I know, I will do my best to treat them with hatred and derision. It is the right thig to do.

I am very grateful to the OP and Circe for their useful information on this thread. Prior to this thread, I did bot know that all of the cool Turkish people I have met the past few years were my enemy. Know I know, I will do my best to treat them with hatred and derision. It is the right thig to do.
No, but keep your eye on the assault of Radical Islam upon that secular country...

Islam carries within it the seeds of rapid mobilization of society and its fighting-age men...

If Radical Islam does, indeed, gain control of that country, in the coming years, those "cool Turkish people" may begin perceiving The West a little differently than they do now...

A state of affairs that is not as remote as it once seemed only a few years ago...

Kondor -

Have you noticed that the people protesting are NOT rasical Muslims?
Yeah, Saigon, I have.

I've also noticed that - as a rule- those protesting are reported to be LESS disposed to Islam-ism than their own Prime Minister - who is suspected of attempting to introduce a form of 'creeping Islam-ism' into the country's governance and culture - largely as a matter of Personal Mission rather than Public Mandate... and that this has not been generally well-received...

I merely say that "we" need to keep a close eye out for Turkey over the next couple of decades, because Islamist sympathies are on the rise, throughout the entire Islamic domain, and because - for all its Westernization and mixed histories - Turkey still falls within the Islamic domain - bordered by other Islamic-domain states with less of a focus upon modern secularism.

Turkey could also "go over to the dark side" under the right (wrong) circumstances, and I'd hate to see Radical Islam get a foothold in that otherwise sane secular republic as the Easy Answer to Civic Unrest - that makes me a little nervous.

Perhaps that will be of some help.

Last edited:
Sorry bout that,

I never got there. Looks cool.

You ain't kidding! I felt very unsafe walking through those streets. It's mostly Kurds, and I was there during (one of) the heights of PKK activity, in the first half of the 1990s.

Izmir is touristy but I would have loved to see the beaches.

A beautiful place is Sinop, on the Black Sea. Not much to do there, but it is picturesque.

I wouldn't call Izmir touristy. I lived there for 2 years because that is where the job was. Most tourists bypass Izmir because it has no historic or cultural places of any interest. However, as just an ordinary place to live, it is quite nice. It is on the Aegean Sea. From Izmir, you can travel up and down the coast to some the resort areas and historic sites, like Ephesus and Pergamum. There are also less well known places you can see on a day trip from Izmir. Living in Izmir is much like living in Europe, and the climate is one of the best in the world. The beaches and seaside villages south of Izmir are very nice; those less well known are much less touristy, but also a bit more unpolished. As you go along the coast, one town after another has ferry services to Greek Islands, so living in Izmir also meant doing a lot of traveling in the Greek islands. And, as you have noted, the interior and Eastern Turkey have a lot to offer. I don't have any interest in the Kurdish region, but the Aegean/Mediterranean region, the interior, the Black Sea area, Bursa, Istanbul, and Ankara are all worth seeing. I would rather live in Izmir than Istanbul because Izmir is on the sea and has better climate. Also, Istanbul has 13 million people and very bad traffic problems. Also would not want to live inland in Ankara or Bursa due to climate and being away from the sea.

I liked Ankara a lot but the air quality is atrocious, due to Ankara sitting almost in a bowl of mountains around it, and they burn coal for fuel. So the bad air tends to sit and hover over the city. I had coughs and sore throat the whole time I was there.

1. Bad water bad air, hence: *shit hole*.
2. When this government brings out the death squads, *bad governance* if it already has, then that's when things get dicey.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Sorry bout that,

1. Islam and those who follow it are unruly people, they will always be barbarians, evil, murderers, full of hate.
2. Goodbye Turkey!
3. You will not be missed.:eusa_hand:
4. You will follow those other hell hole nations, too numerous to list.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

They are actually revolting against an Islamist government.
Kinda different from an Islamic revolt against dictatorship.

Sorry bout that,

I wouldn't call Izmir touristy. I lived there for 2 years because that is where the job was. Most tourists bypass Izmir because it has no historic or cultural places of any interest. However, as just an ordinary place to live, it is quite nice. It is on the Aegean Sea. From Izmir, you can travel up and down the coast to some the resort areas and historic sites, like Ephesus and Pergamum. There are also less well known places you can see on a day trip from Izmir. Living in Izmir is much like living in Europe, and the climate is one of the best in the world. The beaches and seaside villages south of Izmir are very nice; those less well known are much less touristy, but also a bit more unpolished. As you go along the coast, one town after another has ferry services to Greek Islands, so living in Izmir also meant doing a lot of traveling in the Greek islands. And, as you have noted, the interior and Eastern Turkey have a lot to offer. I don't have any interest in the Kurdish region, but the Aegean/Mediterranean region, the interior, the Black Sea area, Bursa, Istanbul, and Ankara are all worth seeing. I would rather live in Izmir than Istanbul because Izmir is on the sea and has better climate. Also, Istanbul has 13 million people and very bad traffic problems. Also would not want to live inland in Ankara or Bursa due to climate and being away from the sea.

I liked Ankara a lot but the air quality is atrocious, due to Ankara sitting almost in a bowl of mountains around it, and they burn coal for fuel. So the bad air tends to sit and hover over the city. I had coughs and sore throat the whole time I was there.

1. Bad water bad air, hence: *shit hole*.
2. When this government brings out the death squads, *bad governance* if it already has, then that's when things get dicey.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

There is nothing wrong with the water.
Half the cities in the US and UK have bad air. Walk around London for a few days.

I am very grateful to the OP and Circe for their useful information on this thread.Prior to this thread, I did bot know that all of the cool Turkish people I have met the past few years were my enemy. Know I know, I will do my best to treat them with hatred and derision. It is the right thig to do.

It has certainly been entertaining!

Turkey is a fucked up country because majority of its people hiding behind a dictator.

Turkey is a great country also because they showed us they still respect and want the values of the civilized world.

A country torn apart in the middle. This is the price you pay, being the bridge between east and west. They still have a chance to make it to the other side of the Bosporus. We shall see.

Forum List

Back