Turning 18 - Adult or Not?

High school cheerleader, 18, sues her retired police chief father for at least $17,500 after he 'kicks her out for refusing to live by his rules' | Mail Online

The linked story is about an 18-year-old high school student who either left or was thrown out of the family domicile because of her purported refusal to abide by household rules. It is disputed whether she was thrown out or just left in a huff, so to speak. She is living with friends. She continues to attend a parochial high school, and has accumulated about five thousand dollars in unpaid tuition expense since she left her family’s home.

She is suing her parents to (among other things) force them to pay for her current private school tuition, and her total college expenses when she goes to, presumably, the private college of her choice in coming years. She is, for what it’s worth, an honor student and a cheerleader.

All other stuff aside (I don’t care if she’s “spoiled”), should her middle-class parents be legally compelled to fund her costly education choices until she chooses to declare herself to be an emancipated adult, presumably after graduating from college? Based on what law or equitable principle?

It may be presumed that New Jersey would provide the balance of her high school education FOR FREE, in a public high school – an option that the majority of New Jersey residents choose. It may also be presumed that by a combination of community colleges and state universities, she could get a four-year degree at a modest cost. Or she could join the Army and ultimately pay for her own education. She’s an “adult,” right?

When I was back in law school a lifetime ago, there was a precedent in divorce cases that a child of a parent paying child support was entitled to be supported until such time as the child reached the top level of education that had been achieved by the supporting parent. So a dad with a bachelor’s degree had to support his kid until the kid got a bachelor’s degree (assume normal progress was being made). Doctorate? Same principle.

But that’s a different state (PA), and a different situation. Here the kid is no longer a member of the household and the parents are not only still together, but they both concur with cutting the kid off.

As far as I’m concerned, even if she stayed at home, her parents have no obligation to fund her education, other than the obligation to pay New Jersey taxes to fund public schools and universities. They could have legally and without recourse, pulled the rug out from under their daughter – for any reason or no reason at all – and told her, "Finish HS in the local public school, and you are on your own for college."

Does anybody disagree?

Why does the fact that she either moved out or was thrown out of her parents’ home change anything?

Is 18 an adult or is it not? If she were the daughter of a single mother on welfare, she would certainly be on her own, so why does the situation change just because her parents are middle class? Does the fact that her parents apparently have a savings account for her college matter? It is not a trust fund, it's just a savings account.

This case should be thrown out of court, with enthusiasm.

I was under the impression when people turned 18 they were considered legally emancipated regardless of other factors like living at home or still in grade school (still in high school at 18 but an 'honor' student? I was done just after turning 17.)

Can kinda see a legal arguement made for at least finishing payment for the high school if that began while under 18, but not college or anything else once she left home.

This should never have gotten as far as the courts. Should have been handled within the immediate family with a good smack. The girl's spoiled and though it's too late to change that, it's not too late to handle her spoiled nature the way families have done so for thousands of years - beat the rebellious child. If she doesn't submit to her parents' authority, toss her crap out onto the lawn, and send her on her way.

12 “Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you.
- Exodus 20

18 If someone has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him, 19 his father and mother shall take hold of him and bring him to the elders at the gate of his town. 20 They shall say to the elders, “This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a glutton and a drunkard.” 21 Then all the men of his town are to stone him to death. You must purge the evil from among you. All Israel will hear of it and be afraid.
- Deuteronomy 21

This almost never happens in religious families, and even less in Muslim ones (who're prone to simply killing such children as per theocractic law.) I'm a little warmer and fuzzier and suggest a sound beating.

Last edited:
I wonder if she would be eligible for an "honor killing" if her family were Muslim? Sounds like a good case to me. She is probably a slut, in addition to everything else.

High school cheerleader, 18, sues her retired police chief father for at least $17,500 after he 'kicks her out for refusing to live by his rules' | Mail Online

The linked story is about an 18-year-old high school student who either left or was thrown out of the family domicile because of her purported refusal to abide by household rules. It is disputed whether she was thrown out or just left in a huff, so to speak. She is living with friends. She continues to attend a parochial high school, and has accumulated about five thousand dollars in unpaid tuition expense since she left her family’s home.

She is suing her parents to (among other things) force them to pay for her current private school tuition, and her total college expenses when she goes to, presumably, the private college of her choice in coming years. She is, for what it’s worth, an honor student and a cheerleader.

All other stuff aside (I don’t care if she’s “spoiled”), should her middle-class parents be legally compelled to fund her costly education choices until she chooses to declare herself to be an emancipated adult, presumably after graduating from college? Based on what law or equitable principle?

It may be presumed that New Jersey would provide the balance of her high school education FOR FREE, in a public high school – an option that the majority of New Jersey residents choose. It may also be presumed that by a combination of community colleges and state universities, she could get a four-year degree at a modest cost. Or she could join the Army and ultimately pay for her own education. She’s an “adult,” right?

When I was back in law school a lifetime ago, there was a precedent in divorce cases that a child of a parent paying child support was entitled to be supported until such time as the child reached the top level of education that had been achieved by the supporting parent. So a dad with a bachelor’s degree had to support his kid until the kid got a bachelor’s degree (assume normal progress was being made). Doctorate? Same principle.

But that’s a different state (PA), and a different situation. Here the kid is no longer a member of the household and the parents are not only still together, but they both concur with cutting the kid off.

As far as I’m concerned, even if she stayed at home, her parents have no obligation to fund her education, other than the obligation to pay New Jersey taxes to fund public schools and universities. They could have legally and without recourse, pulled the rug out from under their daughter – for any reason or no reason at all – and told her, "Finish HS in the local public school, and you are on your own for college."

Does anybody disagree?

Why does the fact that she either moved out or was thrown out of her parents’ home change anything?

Is 18 an adult or is it not? If she were the daughter of a single mother on welfare, she would certainly be on her own, so why does the situation change just because her parents are middle class? Does the fact that her parents apparently have a savings account for her college matter? It is not a trust fund, it's just a savings account.

This case should be thrown out of court, with enthusiasm.

i wondered how long it would take for a 18 to 26 age group person

to sue a parent over obamacare

it turns why not go the full nine entitlement yards

The issue is pretty confusing when the ironically named Affordable Health Care act allows parents to keep children on their insurance policies until they are 28 years old.

the issue isn't confusing at all.

but thanks for trying to make a question about an actual case turn into yet another Obama-deranged rant about the ACA.

the Human brain is not fully formed until 25.

if we were dealing with reality and science that would be the age of adulthood

The reason you need these young adults under access to care is this is often the age of early onset for mental illness.

brain chemistry unbalance.

that is all sceincey so the right wont like it

What age is considered an adult?

If you're over 12, you pay adult movie prices.

If you're 17 you no longer qualify for additional child tax credit on your parents income tax form.

If you're 18 you can vote and fight but cannot drink alcohol.

If you're 16 you can operate a multi-thousand lb. vehicle.

If you're under age 26 you can stay on your parent's health insurance.

If you're 17 and under and commit a serious crime you're not charged as an adult ... unless you are charged as an adult.

If you're living in my house you will abide by my rules. I don't care if you're 15, 25 or 55. Don't like it? Leave.

What age is considered an adult?

If you're over 12, you pay adult movie prices.

If you're 17 you no longer qualify for additional child tax credit on your parents income tax form.

If you're 18 you can vote and fight but cannot drink alcohol.

If you're 16 you can operate a multi-thousand lb. vehicle.

If you're under age 26 you can stay on your parent's health insurance.

If you're 17 and under and commit a serious crime you're not charged as an adult ... unless you are charged as an adult.

If you're living in my house you will abide by my rules. I don't care if you're 15, 25 or 55. Don't like it? Leave.

bingo

Parents have a legal obligation to support their minor children and cannot lawfully “kick them out” of their homes. However, the flip side of the law is that minor children cannot tell their parents to “kiss off'” and go live elsewhere. Once a child is no longer a minor, the parents have no financial obligations toward the child (there are some exceptions) and the child is free to leave her family behind. In the present case, it appears the young lady left her home because she couldn't/wouldn't abide by her parents' rules.

Even if the young lady were less than 18, the parents would have no liability to support her if she left home. A minor child can be compelled to live with her parents unless the child is emancipated.

“Emancipation of minors is a legal mechanism by which a minor is freed from control by his or her parents or guardians, and the parents or guardians are freed from any and all responsibility toward the child. In some cases, emancipation can be granted without due court granting when the minor is bound to make a decision for themselves in the absence of their parents (who may be already dead or who may have abandoned the minor).

“The exact laws and protocols for obtaining emancipation vary from state to state. In most states, minors must file a petition with the family court in the applicable jurisdiction, formally requesting emancipation and citing reasons it is in their best interest to be emancipated. Minors must prove financial self-sufficiency. In some states, free legal aid is available to minors seeking emancipation, through children law centers. This can be a valuable resource for minors trying to create a convincing emancipation petition. Students are able to stay with a guardian if necessary.”

Emancipation of minors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The law is very clear. Parents have no financial liability for their children who are no longer minors (as I said there are exceptions but these exceptions are not relevant to the case at hand). As far as minor children are concerned, their parents are responsible for their welfare. Parents cannot kick their children out of their homes and their children are not free to leave their home.

This young lady is asking the courts to do something I have never heard of before. There was a time when such cases were tossed out and the attorneys were admonished for wasting the court's time. But now ..... who knows.

Edited to add:

A special message to the young lady: I hope for your sake you have forgiving parents. If not, as the years pass you may need their support and it may not be forthcoming. You have rejected and insulted your parents and you will soon learn there are consequences to your actions. I would not count on an inheritance, except perhaps the common token of $1.00.

A special message to the young lady's boyfriend: Whatever you do, don't marry this gal. If you ever divorce her she will spend the rest of her life trying to get everything you've worked for.

I have never known of a parent being forced to support an able bodied/minded 18 year old. I have a divorced friend who has 3 children. She tried to get the courts to make her ex help her with their college expenses and, because they were 18, the courts would have nothing to do with it. I think there is plenty of precedent out there.

IMO the big mistake the parents made was in not having higher expectations of her. It would seem they didn't even hold her legally accountable when she stole from them using their credit cards. They should have put her ass in jail over that one. There is no way I would give that little tart one thin dime if she were mine.

Consider, in connection with this matter, the phenomenon of "adolescence."

Not so long ago, in historical terms, children were basically considered adults at about age 12. This is still when Bar/Bat Mitzvah occurs, as well as Christian "Confirmation."

At the time of the founding of this country, at age 12, if not engaged full time in the family farm or business, one was expected to either start an apprenticeship, get a full-time job, or if one's family had the means, to go to the university. Typically, one started at Harvard, for example, in one's early teens. For a girl at that age, she was seriously learning from her mother how to cook, clean, and maintain the household, and was considered marriage-eligible at around 15.

The idea that there is this ever-expanding period of time between 12 and adulthood that we call, "adolescence" is a relatively new phenomenon in human history, and the EXPECTATION that "adolescents" can't be held accountable for their actions due to their immaturity is, if you will pardon the expression, "bullshit."

If you leave home as this girl did, she deserves NOTHING from ANYONE. Get a job. Support yourself. Grow up.

Or in the Great American Tradition, pop out a kid and go on welfare. Then your college education will be covered, and you can run for Governor of Texas.

Consider, in connection with this matter, the phenomenon of "adolescence."

Not so long ago, in historical terms, children were basically considered adults at about age 12. This is still when Bar/Bat Mitzvah occurs, as well as Christian "Confirmation."

At the time of the founding of this country, at age 12, if not engaged full time in the family farm or business, one was expected to either start an apprenticeship, get a full-time job, or if one's family had the means, to go to the university. Typically, one started at Harvard, for example, in one's early teens. For a girl at that age, she was seriously learning from her mother how to cook, clean, and maintain the household, and was considered marriage-eligible at around 15.

The idea that there is this ever-expanding period of time between 12 and adulthood that we call, "adolescence" is a relatively new phenomenon in human history, and the EXPECTATION that "adolescents" can't be held accountable for their actions due to their immaturity is, if you will pardon the expression, "bullshit."

If you leave home as this girl did, she deserves NOTHING from ANYONE. Get a job. Support yourself. Grow up.

Or in the Great American Tradition, pop out a kid and go on welfare. Then your college education will be covered, and you can run for Governor of Texas.

Well, 12 for Jewish girls becomming women, but 13 for boys becomming men. Even ancient people understood girls matured slightly faster than boys.

In the US we tend to infantilize everyone even adults as when judgements over hot coffee burning you is awarded because you were too stupid to know hot coffee carried that risk. Or on warning/directions labels on products like shampoo telling you to wet your hair first. This would be amusing if it weren't true. :) We treat people like idiots then act surprised when they behave as such. Set bars higher, and people will strive to measure up. Set it too low and people will lower themselves to meet the reduced minimums.

It's all about expectations. We all know parents who have high expectations for their kids, and those expectations are realized through taking school seriously, doing chores around the house, respecting each other, and so forth.

The TV culture excuses immaturity and anti-social behavior, rendering pursuing ones desires, hopes, and dreams a religion, no matter how fatuous. Witness all of these crappy talent shows.

She does not deserve a dime and I doubt that the courts will give her any.

Depending on the contract that the parents signed with the high school, they may be liable for what they agreed to pay (as they should be) and most private schools require tuition even if the student does not attend. That is a case between the school and the parents though that does not involve her in any way.

What saddens me is that this person actually filled the suit in the first place. It is a sign of how far we have slid as a people when someone not only sees this suit as justifiable but that the media can pick it up and hold a straight face. The entire concept is despicable – as an adult you are the only one that is responsible for you. EVERYTHING that your parents do for you, 100 percent, after the age of 18 is a blessing and a gift. You are entitled to NONE of it.

Forum List

Back