🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Twiitter forced to identify anti-Semetic users

BecauseIKnow

Rookie
Aug 5, 2012
Twitter forced to identify anti-Semitic users - Israel Jewish Scene, Ynetnews

A French court on Thursday ordered Twitter Inc to help identify the authors of anti-Semitic posts or face fines of €1,000 ($1,300) per day, as the social network firm comes under renewed pressure to combat racist and extremist messages.

The order, requested by a Jewish student union and rights groups, concerned anti-Semitic material but could open the floodgates to legal pursuit of Twitter users who post a wide range of messages deemed illegal or offensive.

Racism or Ignorance?
Sweden tweeter stirs critics with comments on Jews / Associated Press
Woman stirs uproar by pondering 'what's the fuzz with Jews' on Sweden's official Twitter account
Full story
"This is an excellent decision, which we hope will bring an end to the feeling of impunity that fuels the worst excesses," said Stephane Lilti, lawyer for the groups who sought the ruling.

The anti-Semitic messages started appearing last October, and have since been deleted.

The Paris court gave privately-held Twitter, whose general policy is that it does not control content posted on its network, 15 days to hand over data identifying people who have published messages judged anti-Semitic.

The court also ordered Twitter to set up a system in France that helps people draw attention to illegal content. Under French law, people found guilty of inciting racial hatred can be jailed for a year and fined.

Twitter's lawyer in France, Alexandra Neri, declined to comment.

Failure to comply would expose the firm, founded in 2006 and now boasting 140 million monthly active users worldwide, to daily fines of €1,000 if the groups who sought the order request it, which Lilti said they would not hesitate to do.

• Banned
Bump. This should get some attention, freedom of speech, where'd that go. But not to mention incitement against Muslims, why won't they crack down on that if they are opposed to incitement and hatred?

While it must be remembered by Americans that Europe lived through a more extreme and terrible time than North America regarding this sort of thing, I personally find censorship obnoxious and a sign of weakness.

Now, I hope people don't use this as an excuse to jump all over France, especially since it is not at all alone; most European countries do the same. Expression is not as free there as in America. The problem is that freedom entails responsibility, and many people abuse this truth.

Bump. This should get some attention, freedom of speech, where'd that go. But not to mention incitement against Muslims, why won't they crack down on that if they are opposed to incitement and hatred?

If you look into it, you will find that they are addressing this issue as well.

• Banned

If you look into it, you will find that they are addressing this issue as well.

Maybe they are. But that fine is pretty wild, it's not like people won't incite hatred elsewhere.

One thing Americans have got to understand (and fail to learn in school) that other countries do not have the same standard of freedom that the US Constitution and Bill of Rights guarantees. There is no 1st Amendment in France.

• Banned
Simple solution: Twitter should move all of their operations OUT of France and tell them to suck eggs.

I wonder what Twitter will do. And I think it depends on the content. If something is seen as minor and minimal. I don't get why they would ban a user.

If Twitter opted to be based in France, then they have to follow the law. No point in whining.

Same goes here for those assholes who come here and complain about our laws and constitution. Don't like, leave.

Personally, I can't stand those anti-Semitic idiots, but they are free to speak here, and they never shut up. They spew their hatred and ignorant comments everywhere. They have a right to be complete shitheads.

If Twitter opted to be based in France, then they have to follow the law. No point in whining.

Same goes here for those assholes who come here and complain about our laws and constitution. Don't like, leave.

Personally, I can't stand those anti-Semitic idiots, but they are free to speak here, and they never shut up. They spew their hatred and ignorant comments everywhere. They have a right to be complete shitheads.

Who complains about our constitution and laws?

I'm a philo-Semitic person, but I'm also a strong advocate of freedom of speech. I disagree with the ruling.

Forum List

Back