Two Firefighters Suspended After Saving 18-Month-Old Girl’s Life

easyt65

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2015
Two volunteer firefighters in Stafford County, Virginia, were suspended following their attempts to save an 18-month-old girl who was having a seizure last Saturday because they used their fire engine to transport her to a hospital.

The father had reported that his 18-month-old daughter was having a seizure and required a hospital, and according to Kelley it would have taken at least 10 to 15 minutes before the nearest medic could arrive at the restaurant and provide assistance.

Stafford Fire and Rescue Department Assistant Chief Mark indicated that he is unable to comment on the situation while this potential regulatory compliance issue is under review, WUSA reported.

:wtf:

Give these dudes a medal and publicly FIRE whoever fired them!

This is the fucking world we live in thanks to lawyers. This story reminds me of this one from a few years ago. A lifeguard was fired after saving a drowning swimmer at the beach since he technically saved him outside of the zone he was in charge of.

Florida Lifeguard Fired for Trying to Save Drowning Man Outside of His Zone

A Florida lifeguard has been booted from his lifeguard chair for running to save a man who was floundering in the surf.

Tomas Lopez , 21, was fired by his supervisor for vacating his lifeguarding zone to save a man drowning in an unprotected area of the beach in Hallandale Beach, Fla., on Monday, reports the Sun Sentinel.

Lopez' employer is not paid to patrol the zone where the man had been in trouble.

According to the Sun Sentinel, Lopez was approached by a beachgoer who pointed out a man struggling in the water nearly 1,500 feet south of his post.

Instinctively, he ran down the beach to save him. By the time Lopez got to him, he had been pulled to shore by fellow beachgoers.

Following his rescue attempt, Lopez was let go for leaving the area he was supposed to be covering.

Jeff Ellis and Associates, a private aquatic safety contractor, is hired by the city to patrol the beaches. The company is also in charge of hiring and training the city's lifeguards.

--------------------------------------------------

Can you believe what kind of fucked up world we live in?

Let me add 2 cents here. The firemen will be fine. This is just government red tape. We had the same policy at the police department and there's a reason for it. Fucking insurance and regulations. Transporting medical patients is a major liability.

We had an officer "suspended" for taking a gunshot victim to ER in the cop car. He wasn't docked any pay and it was cleared from his file. But they have to show no exemptions because the insurance and regulatory folks will freak out if they do.

Behind closed doors they'll get a pat on the back.

There is so much bullshit like this in fire/police operations it's ridiculous. Insurance and regulators are a pain in the ass.

Let me add 2 cents here. The firemen will be fine. This is just government red tape. We had the same policy at the police department and there's a reason for it. Fucking insurance and regulations. Transporting medical patients is a major liability.

We had an officer "suspended" for taking a gunshot victim to ER in the cop car. He wasn't docked any pay and it was cleared from his file. But they have to show no exemptions because the insurance and regulatory folks will freak out if they do.

Behind closed doors they'll get a pat on the back.

There is so much bullshit like this in fire/police operations it's ridiculous. Insurance and regulators are a pain in the ass.

What do you think the liability would be if they just let the kid die?

I served as a commissioner on a local fire department. We had a smoke detector campaign in place to provide them to the public upon request and during a program done annually for fire prevention week. The funding of the detectors and batteries was through taxpayer funds collected solely from within the district. People would come by that didn't live in the district and were told no that the detectors were funded by the taxpayers of the area and were only for those taxpayers. Word got out that people were turned down. Never mind that the reason was not expressed just that they were told no. In the end, we would provide a limit of 1 to someone outside the district because we felt it was better to do so even if they didn't pay taxes in the district that to get out name in the paper as having said no although the reason to say no was a legitimate one.

This is the fucking world we live in thanks to lawyers. This story reminds me of this one from a few years ago. A lifeguard was fired after saving a drowning swimmer at the beach since he technically saved him outside of the zone he was in charge of.

A Florida lifeguard has been booted from his lifeguard chair for running to save a man who was floundering in the surf.

Tomas Lopez , 21, was fired by his supervisor for vacating his lifeguarding zone to save a man drowning in an unprotected area of the beach in Hallandale Beach, Fla., on Monday, reports the Sun Sentinel.

Lopez' employer is not paid to patrol the zone where the man had been in trouble.

According to the Sun Sentinel, Lopez was approached by a beachgoer who pointed out a man struggling in the water nearly 1,500 feet south of his post.

Instinctively, he ran down the beach to save him. By the time Lopez got to him, he had been pulled to shore by fellow beachgoers.

Following his rescue attempt, Lopez was let go for leaving the area he was supposed to be covering.

Jeff Ellis and Associates, a private aquatic safety contractor, is hired by the city to patrol the beaches. The company is also in charge of hiring and training the city's lifeguards.

--------------------------------------------------

Can you believe what kind of fucked up world we live in?

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers."
Henry The Sixth, Part 2 Act 4, scene 2

Two volunteer firefighters in Stafford County, Virginia, were suspended following their attempts to save an 18-month-old girl who was having a seizure last Saturday because they used their fire engine to transport her to a hospital.

The father had reported that his 18-month-old daughter was having a seizure and required a hospital, and according to Kelley it would have taken at least 10 to 15 minutes before the nearest medic could arrive at the restaurant and provide assistance.

Stafford Fire and Rescue Department Assistant Chief Mark indicated that he is unable to comment on the situation while this potential regulatory compliance issue is under review, WUSA reported.

:wtf:

Give these dudes a medal and publicly FIRE whoever fired them!

They were suspended, not fired. And the rules exist, for a reason. Maybe they even did the right thing, which will help them sleep at night, but they still broke the rules.

They were suspended, not fired. And the rules exist, for a reason. Maybe they even did the right thing, which will help them sleep at night, but they still broke the rules.
Glad they were not fired......

And Rules were made to be broken...without punishment. Just ask Hillary, Eric holder, Charlie Rangel... :p

NO good deed goes unpunished in the liberal land of America. I found out myself, when I who have had extensive fire extinguisher training in the Air Force, found a government building conference room on fire. I asked the building support engineer if power was shut off to the area, and he said he turned it off. I proceeded carefully to open the door, checking to make sure the handle wasn't hot, and slowly opened it to find one wood paneled wall to be burning up the ceiling. A duct motor behind the wall froze up causing it to overheat, making the paneling combust. Near the door was a class 1(water) fire extinguisher. Since power was cut off, I proceeded to use my Air Force extinguisher training and after 5 minutes the fire was put out. During this time, the building security guards had sent the Fire Trucks to the wrong wing and they ended up showing up 30 minutes after the fire was out. They proceeded to tear into the wall, making sure there wasn't any burning embers left, thanked me for my prompt action packed up and left the scene. The building manager thanked me also, said she would put in an award(which she never did) and I went back to may shop to report my actions. When I arrived, my very liberal supervisor handed me a violation of duty which would of made it impossible for me to find work anywhere else. I told him "Go ahead give it to me, and I will go to local channel 9 news, and tell them that after saving the government millions of dollars by putting out the fire, I was punished for my good actions. I know how those fire fighters felt, and they have been given back their jobs. All it takes is getting in the face of the liberals, and showing some force, and the spineless weenies will back down.

NO good deed goes unpunished in the liberal land of America. I found out myself, when I who have had extensive fire extinguisher training in the Air Force, found a government building conference room on fire. I asked the building support engineer if power was shut off to the area, and he said he turned it off. I proceeded carefully to open the door, checking to make sure the handle wasn't hot, and slowly opened it to find one wood paneled wall to be burning up the ceiling. A duct motor behind the wall froze up causing it to overheat, making the paneling combust. Near the door was a class 1(water) fire extinguisher. Since power was cut off, I proceeded to use my Air Force extinguisher training and after 5 minutes the fire was put out. During this time, the building security guards had sent the Fire Trucks to the wrong wing and they ended up showing up 30 minutes after the fire was out. They proceeded to tear into the wall, making sure there wasn't any burning embers left, thanked me for my prompt action packed up and left the scene. The building manager thanked me also, said she would put in an award(which she never did) and I went back to may shop to report my actions. When I arrived, my very liberal supervisor handed me a violation of duty which would of made it impossible for me to find work anywhere else. I told him "Go ahead give it to me, and I will go to local channel 9 news, and tell them that after saving the government millions of dollars by putting out the fire, I was punished for my good actions. I know how those fire fighters felt, and they have been given back their jobs. All it takes is getting in the face of the liberals, and showing some force, and the spineless weenies will back down.

Love that poster!

It was a coin toss and those guys got lucky.

There are reasons for rules regarding transport. What if that infant needed to be intubated to protect its airway? Those 2 volunteer firefighters wouldn't have been able to do it and the kid would have died

They were lucky and it worked out. They should still be disciplined though

Insurance companies and trial lawyers are driving this. The lifeguard who leaves his zone to rescue someone in another zone, will mean no coverage for that lifeguard's zone, and if someone drowns in the uncovered zone, then the city that owns the beach will be sued and there will be no insurance coverage.

I have to agree with Blackrook on that, insurance companies are totally asshats about crap like that, and if you get caught bending the rules the assholes will withhold your insurance coverage in an emergency. Is red tape and the firefighters had to be disciplined in order for the insurance to cover stuff without raising the rates, and thus costs to the US tax payers.

Still, hopefully someone bought them a beer.

There are reasons for rules regarding transport. What if that infant needed to be intubated to protect its airway? Those 2 volunteer firefighters wouldn't have been able to do it and the kid would have died

Of course by the time the amblance(inner city talk) showed up the infant could of died also. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Shame you don't understand that the 2 didn't think, they used their instincts to save a life.
Liberals must debate the issue, come to a consensus, and then get a 51% majority before they act.

Of course by the time the amblance(inner city talk) showed up the infant could of died also. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Shame you don't understand that the 2 didn't think, they used their instincts to save a life.
Liberals must debate the issue, come to a consensus, and then get a 51% majority before they act.

Like I said they rolled the dice and got lucky it could have gone either way

Like I said they rolled the dice and got lucky it could have gone either way
They didn't take a chance, there is no such thing. Believe it or not, like in War, there are things people are trained to respond to. That is what makes a hero, while those who I have described above who must have a consensus, are zeros(0). Liberals hate heroes because they wish they had the spine to make such decisions. That is why they will go out of their way to punish those who risk their lives.

Forum List

Back