Two-Thirds Of College Grads Regret Their Diploma, Costs And Major

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
And I’m sure they wince every time they get a bill for what they owe in loans.

Not surprisingly perhaps, the new survey found the top regret was incurring immense debts for that higher education, a debt whose payments run on for many years, causing postponed marriages and families. An estimated 70 percent of college graduates this year finished school with loans to repay averaging $33,000.

The second largest graduate regret was their choice of college majors. Sen. Marco Rubio has noted in speeches that the occupational demand for Greek philosophers has not been good for about 2,000 years.

Most satisfied were majors in math, science, tech and especially engineering. More than a third of computer science grads and four-in-ten engineering grads had no regrets about their area choice of studies.

More @ Two-Thirds Of College Grads Regret Their Diploma, Costs And Major

The entire college degree thing is backwards anyway.

People are guessing what degree they will need in the future and it seems most simply guess wrong.

So what's the alternative to getting a degree? $15 bucks an hour with no benefs?Can't do anything with that.

So what's the alternative to getting a degree? $15 bucks an hour with no benefs?Can't do anything with that.
Trade school> Apprenticeship> Experience> Management.

Or getting a degree in a field that is in demand.

The real question asked should happen 20 years from now when the graduates are established (or not established) in whatever field they finally chose to work in.

What's wrong with getting a job then getting a degree to advance in that job if you want to do it forever?

Most people change careers several times in their life so it seems to me going into debt for a degree you will not use is a waste of both time and money.

The second largest graduate regret was their choice of college majors. Sen. Marco Rubio has noted in speeches that the occupational demand for Greek philosophers has not been good for about 2,000 years.......

It was never good. That was never the point.

One doesn't need to go into debt to get a degree in any discipline.

Work full time and take night classes at a local state college. It might take a little longer but it at least you won't have any debt

There are a lot of jobs that will reimburse for college courses as well

That's true, and young people today are pretty much experts on how to do that by the time they graduate high school if they have any serious intention of going to college.

There's an aide at my school and she's told something interesting during lunch. She has a college degree and makes $13.50, but her husband went to a trade school and makes six figures. I think she mentioned something about electrician work, or something.

That why I've mentioned before about how youths need to be educated about alternatives to college. High school counselors and teachers mainly only pressure for college and little else, when there's plenty of other routes to financial success outside of college.

Let's be honest. Every high school grad knows the subjects that lead to good careers, but those degrees require hard work, diligent study, and you have to actually demonstrate KNOWLEDGE in order to succeed in those majors.

They all want to study one form of bullshit or another, whether it's philosophy, history, communications, or something ending with "...Studies." Because they know that they can bluff their way through the courses, getting A's and B's throughout.

Who wants to work while all your friends are partying? They knew what they needed to do in order to get a good career, they just lacked the discipline to do it.

Same as when I went to college, a lifetime ago.

Let's be honest. Every high school grad knows the subjects that lead to good careers, but those degrees require hard work, diligent study, and you have to actually demonstrate KNOWLEDGE in order to succeed in those majors.

They all want to study one form of bullshit or another, whether it's philosophy, history, communications, or something ending with "...Studies." Because they know that they can bluff their way through the courses, getting A's and B's throughout.

Who wants to work while all your friends are partying? They knew what they needed to do in order to get a good career, they just lacked the discipline to do it.

Same as when I went to college, a lifetime ago.

That is a steaming sack of bullshit.

There's an aide at my school and she's told something interesting during lunch. She has a college degree and makes $13.50, but her husband went to a trade school and makes six figures. I think she mentioned something about electrician work, or something.

That why I've mentioned before about how youths need to be educated about alternatives to college. High school counselors and teachers mainly only pressure for college and little else, when there's plenty of other routes to financial success outside of college.
Any flunky can be an aide.The electrician is much more educated.

Any flunky can be an aide.The electrician is much more educated.
Maybe? If she told me what her degree is in, I don't recall it. Regardless, she's the one in the family with a college degree, but her husband's the one making the money. The point I was making towards that guy is that college education does not equal financial success.

Forum List

Back