Two-Thirds Of College Grads Regret Their Diploma, Costs And Major

So what's the alternative to getting a degree? $15 bucks an hour with no benefs?Can't do anything with that.
You need to dig a little deeper. Plumbers do not make $15.00 an hour. It's more like 30. Welders, Repairmen in anything but especially HVAC make a bundle. If you really want a high paying job in the future look at robotic repair. Those kiosks at McDonalds won't fix themselves.

So what's the alternative to getting a degree? $15 bucks an hour with no benefs?Can't do anything with that.
There's an aide at my school and she's told something interesting during lunch. She has a college degree and makes $13.50, but her husband went to a trade school and makes six figures. I think she mentioned something about electrician work, or something.

That why I've mentioned before about how youths need to be educated about alternatives to college. High school counselors and teachers mainly only pressure for college and little else, when there's plenty of other routes to financial success outside of college.

Our high school now has a great Construction Tech program. Kids graduate, obviously, with some experience in the trades and often go right into an internship/job. I think it's fantastic--teacher here.

My ex-son-in-law doesn't even have a 5th grade education and is far from fluent in English. He makes $35 per hour driving a cement truck.

Education is overated? Ummmm....not. I agree a degree in vague field is overated, but a degree in a field that is in demand will provide great Bennie's including paid vacation which is a huge necessity to a new worker. Not to mention higher pay than without. My kids had NO choice when they graduated HS except college. No hanging around, no working an entry level job for $10 an hour, no nothing else. Once they had their degree, then it was up to them.

Blessed are the unschooled, the Bible says.

Also, no rest for the wicked, the Bible says too.

Consequently, there is graduate unemployment in every subject, even engineering, and you are still stuck with your debt.

The second largest graduate regret was their choice of college majors. Sen. Marco Rubio has noted in speeches that the occupational demand for Greek philosophers has not been good for about 2,000 years.......

It was never good. That was never the point.

Then people who choose those fields, since lucrative emloyment was "never the point", shouldn't later turn around and complain about being "underemployed" as so many do. I personally think the liberal arts should be something most students minor in. For exmple, I view a major in Mechanical Engineering and a minor in Philosophy as a safer bet than the other way around because a good paying job might be more important to someone at 30 than it was to them at 20.

The second largest graduate regret was their choice of college majors. Sen. Marco Rubio has noted in speeches that the occupational demand for Greek philosophers has not been good for about 2,000 years.......

Then people who choose those fields, since lucrative emloyment was "never the point", shouldn't later turn around and complain about being "underemployed" as so many do. I personally think the liberal arts should be something most students minor in. For exmple, I view a major in Mechanical Engineering and a minor in Philosophy as a safer bet than the other way around because a good paying job might be more important to someone at 30 than it was to them at 20.

Well, that’s the choice they make.

The young makes stupid choices and then have to live with those stupid choices for the rest of their lives. I'm 54 and I'm still paying for mistakes I made when I was 17.

The young makes [sic] stupid choices and then have to live with those stupid choices for the rest of their lives. I'm 54 and I'm still paying for mistakes I made when I was 17.

And?

The young makes [sic] stupid choices and then have to live with those stupid choices for the rest of their lives. I'm 54 and I'm still paying for mistakes I made when I was 17.

And?
yeah that's quite a question.

Well when so many young lefists are getting degrees in Liberal Arts, Gender Studies and Pottery, it's no wonder they can't find jobs.

gr9h2mue14701.jpg

I’m part of that third who is perfectly happy with my degree and what I paid for it...

Then again I went t what was effectively a technical school, got an Associates Degree (all that’s necessary for my job) and made sure to take as little in loans as humanly possible (even when it meant writing 15 scholarship essays the spring of my Senior year in college). I spent roughly $40K to get my degree and only took $2K in loans to do it.

After having a few mediocre jobs, I went to Motorycycle Mechanics Institute in Phoenix, AZ for 15 months straight, no breaks, 5 days a week, 6 hours a day, never missed a day, was never late for class. Graduated with perfect attendance and every award the school had to offer. Took the extended course which included early model Harleys. I picked where I wanted to work and was making almost $40 an hour as a Master Harley Tech when I retired. Add to that my 80% disability from the military, tax free, and I was making a 6 digit income. The work was easy and fun. I'd do it all over again, and now living here in Podunk, WI where the cost of living is jack squat and you can buy one helluva nice house for pennies on the dollar compared to other places in America, I live quite well.

Now what if I had chosen to get a MS. in say psychology and lived in some city with a high cost of living and housing is out of sight? I wouldn't be near as comfortable as I am now.

Point is, there is a LOT to be said for TRADE SCHOOLS vs college.

Last edited:

And?
yeah that's quite a question.

How about quite an answer?

The entire college degree thing is backwards anyway.

People are guessing what degree they will need in the future and it seems most simply guess wrong.
a few decades ago it was a push for trade schools but leftist got wise continue with college so young minds of mush can be indoctrinated with the leftist" I hate America program" Those young minds of mush get a useless degree and a big debt to pay.
You can't enslave a man who is self-sufficient and has a skill.

Ya... something you evidently don't know jack shit about, or it's value.

I wonder how he would have dealt with the college I went to... we had an attendance requirement. Each class was 22-44 sessions over 11 weeks. Students were allowed 3 absences without cause per class. Anything more than that and you lost credit for the course.

Forum List

Back