Two-Thirds Of College Grads Regret Their Diploma, Costs And Major

Did you get a smiley face sticker?

Probably not. What he got was a reminder that your employer doesn’t give a shit about why you’re not there, but if you aren’t there constantly you may not have a job soon.

I find the new employees who focus on when their sick time, vacations, holidays, etc... kick in are the ones who end up not lasting very long.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
And I’m sure they wince every time they get a bill for what they owe in loans.

Not surprisingly perhaps, the new survey found the top regret was incurring immense debts for that higher education, a debt whose payments run on for many years, causing postponed marriages and families. An estimated 70 percent of college graduates this year finished school with loans to repay averaging $33,000.

The second largest graduate regret was their choice of college majors. Sen. Marco Rubio has noted in speeches that the occupational demand for Greek philosophers has not been good for about 2,000 years.

Most satisfied were majors in math, science, tech and especially engineering. More than a third of computer science grads and four-in-ten engineering grads had no regrets about their area choice of studies.

More @ Two-Thirds Of College Grads Regret Their Diploma, Costs And Major

Don't ever regret or knock education. As my late mother used to say, it's something that no one can ever take away from you. I hate this trend away from education. Why is ignorance something to be celebrated? This is why I am disgusted by people who want to deny information from others.

When I was in junior high school, I had a teacher who was an ex-Marine. He wore a huge ring that he would slam down on the blackboard at appropriate moments. When I finished his class (at age 13-14) I knew everything about the executive, legislative, and judicial branches of the federal government. And I mean every single cabinet post, the majority and minority whips in Congress, as well has the role and powers of the Speaker of the House. Mr. Turner had a doll called "Tuffy" in the back of the room. If you came in without your homework (the dog ate it, etc.). He gave you a little slip that read "tell it to Tuffy."

Then people who choose those fields, since lucrative emloyment was "never the point", shouldn't later turn around and complain about being "underemployed" as so many do. I personally think the liberal arts should be something most students minor in. For exmple, I view a major in Mechanical Engineering and a minor in Philosophy as a safer bet than the other way around because a good paying job might be more important to someone at 30 than it was to them at 20.

Well, that’s the choice they make.
The young makes [sic] stupid choices and then have to live with those stupid choices for the rest of their lives. I'm 54 and I'm still paying for mistakes I made when I was 17.

And?
yeah that's quite a question.

How about quite an answer?
don't have one.
...Don't let young people make choices. I cry in frustration seeing the poor decisions my nephews make every day. Short of kicking their ass and knuckling them under I don't know what to do.

Ya... something you evidently don't know jack shit about, or it's value.

I wonder how he would have dealt with the college I went to... we had an attendance requirement. Each class was 22-44 sessions over 11 weeks. Students were allowed 3 absences without cause per class. Anything more than that and you lost credit for the course.
I flunked Algebra because of that. I worked 110 hours a week plus went to college so I would only show up to school to take my tests. I was a straight A student in all my classes but my Algebra teacher flunked me because of attendance. He said I needed to get my priorities straight. He was right, I needed to make sure the rent got paid first so I dropped out of college. That was my first attempt at going to college.

I also dropped out of one college for getting 100% pass rating by putting the answers up on their chalk board for all of their tests. And I got kicked out of another University for being a Conservative. English teacher flunked me for "being a heartless asshole." She even put that in writing and nobody would undo what she did so I got screwed.

Well, that’s the choice they make.
The young makes [sic] stupid choices and then have to live with those stupid choices for the rest of their lives. I'm 54 and I'm still paying for mistakes I made when I was 17.

And?
yeah that's quite a question.

How about quite an answer?
don't have one.
...Don't let young people make choices. I cry in frustration seeing the poor decisions my nephews make every day. Short of kicking their ass and knuckling them under I don't know what to do.

Young people 18 and older are no longer children. They make their choices and accept the consequences.

I wonder how he would have dealt with the college I went to... we had an attendance requirement. Each class was 22-44 sessions over 11 weeks. Students were allowed 3 absences without cause per class. Anything more than that and you lost credit for the course.
I flunked Algebra because of that. I worked 110 hours a week plus went to college so I would only show up to school to take my tests. I was a straight A student in all my classes but my Algebra teacher flunked me because of attendance. He said I needed to get my priorities straight. He was right, I needed to make sure the rent got paid first so I dropped out of college. That was my first attempt at going to college.

I also dropped out of one college for getting 100% pass rating by putting the answers up on their chalk board for all of their tests. And I got kicked out of another University for being a Conservative. English teacher flunked me for "being a heartless asshole." She even put that in writing and nobody would undo what she did so I got screwed.

When "everyone else is out to get me!" you have to take a long, hard look at yourself.

Why were you taking Algebra in college?

Algebra 1 & 2 are required for an AA or AS degree.

The entire college degree thing is backwards anyway.

People are guessing what degree they will need in the future and it seems most simply guess wrong.
Most degrees are in Business, Health Services and Education

I’m part of that third who is perfectly happy with my degree and what I paid for it...

Then again I went t what was effectively a technical school, got an Associates Degree (all that’s necessary for my job) and made sure to take as little in loans as humanly possible (even when it meant writing 15 scholarship essays the spring of my Senior year in college). I spent roughly $40K to get my degree and only took $2K in loans to do it.
I spent $6,000 to get a four year degree

The entire college degree thing is backwards anyway.

People are guessing what degree they will need in the future and it seems most simply guess wrong.

By and large the college degree mania is just a hoax and a fraud cooked up to keep dumbass academic types who have no useful skills or knowledge from starving to death.

Basically anyone who went into debt to get a liberal arts degree was played for a dumbass sucker and they were just as dumb after graduation as they were going in.

Last edited:
Gotta agree with so many! Worked hard for a journalism degree....paid for by "ghosting" term papers for liberal fat-cats. Then a short trade school stiint for an FCC First Class Radiotelephone license that shifted me to engineering. Then transitioning to a sales career (TV studio equipment) that went international and finally to a very comfortable retirement. Had I relied on the J-school? I'd have gotten laid off like so many others in the failing print media and likely be living off an EBT card like so many among us. I could have saved 4 years by going with the trade school first!

But of it all I most enjoyed the ghost-writing - every term paper had a "joker" in it that would have raised a professorial eyebrow had anyone bothered to read the whole thing. One "assistant" who got the job of doing the "reading" spotted a familiar phrase of mine. Called me aside and called me out but said he was giving the person submitting my work a better grade than earned 'cause he loved the idea that I was milking the suckers! I think he had done it before me......

Well maybe he was perusing a useful degree like engineering for example. I had algebra right away in my first year of an engineering degree.

Well maybe he was perusing a useful degree like engineering for example. I had algebra right away in my first year of an engineering degree.
I had Calculus

Today's liberal "students" think "Algebra" is a banana republic shithole to be avoided at all costs.

Forum List

Back