Two weeks notice. Is it fair to the employee?

initforme

Gold Member
Apr 23, 2011
All you business saavy people here is a question. Should an employee have to give two weeks notice before leaving a job? I myself think that is not fair to the employee if the better job can be started immediately. Is there still this infringement of freedom on the employee?

All you business saavy people here is a question. Should an employee have to give two weeks notice before leaving a job? I myself think that is not fair to the employee if the better job can be started immediately. Is there still this infringement of freedom on the employee?

kinda depends on the kind of job-----sorta-----there should be stipulations in the
contract

That is true but I see that as an invasion of my freedom to walk out when needed. I guess if a better job is waiting why should a guy have to hang around for a bad employer when a better one is waiting? I surely don't owe an employer loyalty.

In an "at will" contract, neither party needs to give notice when they are leaving. However, "giving notice" is just common courtesy and shows the professionalism and integrity of the person giving it.

Many times in job search, you'll need to provide good references. Don't expect the employer you gave "no notice to", to give you a good one.

• Thanks
Reactions: mdk
That is true but I see that as an invasion of my freedom to walk out when needed. I guess if a better job is waiting why should a guy have to hang around for a bad employer when a better one is waiting? I surely don't owe an employer loyalty.
It's not about the employer. It's about you and keeping your commitments. Keeping your word. Only in this case, the "word" is not necessarily stated, but inferred as a common trade custom.

If it's in the employee handbook or you were told ahead of time about the policy you have no room to complain.
Just because it's in a handbook, doesn't mean anything. It has to be part of a contract. Giving notice is a courtesy, but it isn't the law. You have no obligation to stifle your future career on account of it. Do you think someone like Trump would, if it weren't part of a contract? Not a chance.

If it's in the employee handbook or you were told ahead of time about the policy you have no room to complain.
Just because it's in a handbook doesn't mean anything. It has to be part of a contract. Giving notice is a courtesy, but it isn't a law. You have no obligation to stifle your future career on account of it.

You agreed to it when you hired on.
But I guess some people have no integrity.

Just because it's in a handbook doesn't mean anything. It has to be part of a contract. Giving notice is a courtesy, but it isn't a law. You have no obligation to stifle your future career on account of it.
You agreed to it when you hired on. But I guess some people have no integrity.
If it isn't in writing, it isn't real. Try getting something from an employer just because somebody said something during the interview process.

Burning bridges.
If it's bad employer, who cares? No one is obligated to be subservient in that way since feudalism went out of vogue.

Last edited:
I'm retired but my son who gave two weeks notice BTW, is leaving for a 25 grand pay raise. Its all about being on lookout.

Many times in job search, you'll need to provide good references. Don't expect the employer you gave "no notice to", to give you a good one.
If you use an employer as a reference, that's true. If you just put them down in the "Employment History" section, it doesn't matter nearly as much since they can only legally confirm that you worked there.
Regardless, I always try to be the "bigger man" and give notice even if I was treated like crap by an employer.
However, my notice to the crap employer may only be the length of time until the start of the new employer's pay period...

You agreed to it when you hired on. But I guess some people have no integrity.
If it isn't in writing, it isn't real. Try getting something from an employer just because somebody said something during the interview process.

You must have missed the part about having integrity....

Forum List

Back