U.N. Ambassador Powers Speech

Short of an invasion and/or ouster of Assad how will some strategic missile strikes accomplish this, and if how is any attack against Assad not a gain for Al Qaeda?
It's always instrumental to go back and read what Right-Wingers think before it becomes an "oppose the Democratic President no matter what" issue.

From National Review, in June:

Back during the Bush administration, Deputy Secretary of State Richard Armitage famously called Hezbollah the “A Team of terrorists,” adding, “al-Qaeda is actually the B Team.” How do these two organizations compare today?

Last week, the State Department released the 2012 issue of its annual “Country Reports on Terrorism.” At a “background briefing,” a “senior administration official” highlighted an “alarming trend”: a “marked resurgence of terrorist activity by Iran and Hezbollah. The tempo of operational activity was something we haven’t seen since the 1990s. . . . We see no signs of this activity abating in 2013. In fact, our assessment is that Hezbollah and Iran will both continue to maintain a heightened level of terrorist activity and operations in the near future.”

The State Department is right to see Hezbollah and Iran as joined at the hip: The former is financed and instructed by the latter. That has not always been understood, despite the fact that, prior to 9/11/01, Hezbollah was responsible for more American deaths than any other terrorist organization. And Hezbollah’s secretary general, Hassan Nasrallah, has proclaimed, “Death to America was, is, and will stay our slogan.” A pertinent question: If Iran’s rulers should obtain nuclear weapons, might they give one or two to Hezbollah to use for approved purposes? A plausible answer: Why not?

It’s well known that Hezbollah has been sending combatants into Syria in support of Bashar Assad, the dictator and Iranian satrap. Less publicized are Hezbollah’s operations in other corners of the world. A Hezbollah attack on a bus in Bulgaria last July killed five Israelis and one Bulgarian. In Nigeria, authorities recently broke up a Hezbollah cell, seizing what one Nigerian official called “a large quantity of assorted weapons of different types and caliber.”

So since I didn't say any of that, what are your thoughts? I gave you mine.
It's from the National Review. A Conservative publication.

They argue that Hezbollah is a bigger threat than al Qaeda.

So I ask you: why do you want to assist Hezbollah by not degrading Syria?

Funny how you all are desperately trying to deflect from Power's convincing argument.

Wingnuts will be wingnuts.

Sweetie its a biggie ok. Probably one of the worst violations you can commit on a message board because it puts the board at risk ok.

Copyright. Link Each "Copy & Paste" to It's Source. Only paste a small to medium section of the material.

That's only the beginning of the rule.

Hey you see some people get really pissed off at me when I only post maybe 8 lines from an OP ed or a news source? It's because of the copyright issue. I can only do a basic precis from a source.

Truly you can get the whole board in a whole whack of trouble if you break the copyright rules.

Not partisan here. Just really trying to warn you so you don't get an infraction.

What's the operative word in the rule you cited? Hmm? Hmmmm?????

Maybe your irrational hatred for an American war hero has you in a tizzy, unable to think clearly.

QW has no excuse.

War hero? Samantha Powers is a war hero? When the fuck did that happen? Is there an alternate universe somewhere where she joined the military before becoming a war protestor?

It's always instrumental to go back and read what Right-Wingers think before it becomes an "oppose the Democratic President no matter what" issue.

From National Review, in June:

Back during the Bush administration, Deputy Secretary of State Richard Armitage famously called Hezbollah the “A Team of terrorists,” adding, “al-Qaeda is actually the B Team.” How do these two organizations compare today?

Last week, the State Department released the 2012 issue of its annual “Country Reports on Terrorism.” At a “background briefing,” a “senior administration official” highlighted an “alarming trend”: a “marked resurgence of terrorist activity by Iran and Hezbollah. The tempo of operational activity was something we haven’t seen since the 1990s. . . . We see no signs of this activity abating in 2013. In fact, our assessment is that Hezbollah and Iran will both continue to maintain a heightened level of terrorist activity and operations in the near future.”

The State Department is right to see Hezbollah and Iran as joined at the hip: The former is financed and instructed by the latter. That has not always been understood, despite the fact that, prior to 9/11/01, Hezbollah was responsible for more American deaths than any other terrorist organization. And Hezbollah’s secretary general, Hassan Nasrallah, has proclaimed, “Death to America was, is, and will stay our slogan.” A pertinent question: If Iran’s rulers should obtain nuclear weapons, might they give one or two to Hezbollah to use for approved purposes? A plausible answer: Why not?

It’s well known that Hezbollah has been sending combatants into Syria in support of Bashar Assad, the dictator and Iranian satrap. Less publicized are Hezbollah’s operations in other corners of the world. A Hezbollah attack on a bus in Bulgaria last July killed five Israelis and one Bulgarian. In Nigeria, authorities recently broke up a Hezbollah cell, seizing what one Nigerian official called “a large quantity of assorted weapons of different types and caliber.”

And now you see the fallacy of declaring a "Red Line."

This isn't our fight. If we get involved either way we embolden an enemy and we lose.

Sweetie its a biggie ok. Probably one of the worst violations you can commit on a message board because it puts the board at risk ok.

Copyright. Link Each "Copy & Paste" to It's Source. Only paste a small to medium section of the material.

That's only the beginning of the rule.

Hey you see some people get really pissed off at me when I only post maybe 8 lines from an OP ed or a news source? It's because of the copyright issue. I can only do a basic precis from a source.

Truly you can get the whole board in a whole whack of trouble if you break the copyright rules.

Not partisan here. Just really trying to warn you so you don't get an infraction.

Maybe your irrational hatred for an American war hero has you in a tizzy, unable to think clearly.

QW has no excuse.

War hero? Samantha Powers is a war hero? When the fuck did that happen? Is there an alternate universe somewhere where she joined the military before becoming a war protestor?
You know, you're not required to ignorantly respond to EVERY post that leaves you clueless:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...ar-assad-s-man-in-washington.html#post7809992

This isn't our fight. If we get involved either way we embolden an enemy and we lose.

He didn't 'declare' a red line.

He recognized an 88 year old red line, and reiterated it.

Now, do I need to educate you on that 88 year old red line, or are you going to save me some typing by refusing to play dumb?

QW has no excuse.

You know, you're not required to ignorantly respond to EVERY post that leaves you clueless:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...ar-assad-s-man-in-washington.html#post7809992

I have no idea what you are talking about. It makes even less sense because I don't hate Paul, and he is not a war hero either.

Now, do I need to educate you on that 88 year old red line, or are you going to save me some typing by refusing to play dumb?

That fake red line he cited only applies to countries other than the US that use chemical weapons against another country. Or are you going to claim ignorance of the fact that the US didn't sign the 88 year old treaty you are talking about until after Syria did, and declared itself exempt from it?

I have no idea what you are talking about. It makes even less sense because I don't hate Paul, and he is not a war hero either.
Who was I responding to, dope? You or TD?

That fake red line he cited only applies to countries other than the US that use chemical weapons against another country. Or are you going to claim ignorance of the fact that the US didn't sign the 88 year old treaty you are talking about until after Syria did, and declared itself exempt from it?

Who the fuck says so? Cite it!

Who was I responding to, dope? You or TD?

Who did you mention in the post, TD, or me?

Do you or do you not support Obama and Kerry's plan to attack Syria?

I don't. I don't think we should enter a fight that we cannot win, red line or not. We may disagree on whether Iraq was a success, but there is no disagreement with regards to the premise of enforcing a cease-fire. That was my main reason for supporting the invasion of Iraq.

We don't have a cease-fire with Syria. We have nothing to win, and without deposing Assad the people of Syria have nothing to gain - and by deposing Assad and giving Syria to Al Qaeda the people of Syria have nothing to gain.

Who the fuck says so? Cite it!

Cite what? Obama's red line?

Why is the posting of the whole speech a violation?

Dig that hole, dick.

Why is not posting a link a violation? Because those are the rules.
I'm asking about posting the whole speech. You said it was a violation.

Explain yourself.

Well given that this is a troll thread, nobody is going to make an attempt to explicitly debate the subject matter of what you posted ad nauseam. Perhaps if you came off a bit more serious minded in the future, people would invariably take you and your OP's more seriously.

We should all sleep at night feeling safe and protected with all the AIRHEADS in this administration looking out for us...

We need to pray we get through the next three years ..without more harm from this circus of clowns

Afraid?

Powers said that the reason we should attack Syria is because it would show Iran we are serious and degrade their influence in the region. Funny thing, I remember people making that same type of argument about Vietnam and Russia.

What are you afraid of?

Why is not posting a link a violation? Because those are the rules.
I'm asking about posting the whole speech. You said it was a violation.

Explain yourself.

Well given that this is a troll thread, nobody is going to make an attempt to explicitly debate the subject matter of what you posted ad nauseam. Perhaps if you came off a bit more serious minded in the future, people would invariably take you and your OP's more seriously.

Synthia is a Statist DUPE that worships at the alter of OBAMA...ALL that needs to be stated.

Good afternoon.

I’m very glad to be back in Washington this afternoon and among so many friends here at the Center for American Progress. As you know, my topic today is Syria, which presents one of the most critical foreign policy challenges we face. Syria is important because it lies at the heart of a region critical to U.S. security, a region that is home to friends and partners and one of our closest allies. It is important because the Syrian regime possesses stores of chemical weapons that they have recently used on a large scale and that we cannot allow to fall into terrorists’ hands.

It is important because the Syrian regime is collaborating with Iran and works in lockstep with thousands of extremist fighters from Hezbollah.....

[/INDENT

Link added Remarks by Ambassador Samantha Power, U.S. Permanent Representative to the United Nations, on Syria at the Center for American Progress, Washington D.C.

Doesn't Ms. Powers speak in front of anyone except friendly audiences? Maybe that's why she is such a failure at being a diplomat.​

Good afternoon.

I’m very glad to be back in Washington this afternoon and among so many friends here at the Center for American Progress. As you know, my topic today is Syria, which presents one of the most critical foreign policy challenges we face. Syria is important because it lies at the heart of a region critical to U.S. security, a region that is home to friends and partners and one of our closest allies. It is important because the Syrian regime possesses stores of chemical weapons that they have recently used on a large scale and that we cannot allow to fall into terrorists’ hands.

It is important because the Syrian regime is collaborating with Iran and works in lockstep with thousands of extremist fighters from Hezbollah.....

[/INDENT

Link added Remarks by Ambassador Samantha Power, U.S. Permanent Representative to the United Nations, on Syria at the Center for American Progress, Washington D.C.

Doesn't Ms. Powers speak in front of anyone except friendly audiences? Maybe that's why she is such a failure at being a diplomat.​

Looks like her speech is going to be MOOT...Obama will claim victory for Vlad putin's idea...and giving Barry an OUT for starting a WAR he would regret having started. Kerry must be steamed a Communist stole his gaff and turned it into reality.:lol:

my gawd, I accidently turned the Dear Leader speaking tonight...I heard one line, and it was the dumbest I have ever heard President speak..

what he saw over there is sickening he says...people are lying in the road gasping for air, cradling their children dying in their arms, etc etc..

and lets see, Saddam did the same thing and HE WAS against punishing him for that when Bush suggested it...this man is a fake and phony and it scares me to have him running our country and making judgments on every other country out there..

yet ACCORDING to Obama, we the people couldn't see a PICTURE of DEAD BIN LADEN because it would be much for us to handle..

Last edited:
my gawd, I accidently turned the Dear Leader speaking tonight...I heard one line, and it was the dumbest I have ever heard President speak..

what he saw over there is sickening he says...people are lying in the road gasping for air, cradling their children dying in their arms, etc etc..

and lets see, Saddam did the same thing and HE WAS against punishing him for that when Bush suggested it...this man is a fake and phony and it scares me to have him running our country and making judgments on every other country out there..

yet ACCORDING to Obama, we the people couldn't see a PICTURE of DEAD BIN LADEN because it would be much for us to handle..

The entire argument is total bullshit. If it's so important, why are they backpedalling so fast? Why have they waited so long? Why are they telegraphing their moves?

I'd be pissed if Obama took the stage last month and said that they bombed chemical weapons storage facilities to signal Assad that this will not be tolerated. I'd be really pissed, and saying that there's no win in any of this for us. I'd be apoplectic about him helping Al Qaeda.

But I'd forgive him even if I could never reconcile the reasons because it was a heinous act and he responded with strength, power, and urgency.

This mess? WOW this person, our President, is completely out of his league.

Forum List

Back