U.S. House passes "Protect Life Act"

By Laura Bassett

WASHINGTON -- After an emotional floor debate, the House of Representatives on Thursday passed the so-called Protect Life Act, which prohibits women from buying health insurance plans that cover abortion under the Affordable Care Act and makes it legal for hospitals to deny abortions to pregnant women with life-threatening conditions.

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.), a proponent of the bill, told voters last week that its purpose is "to ensure that no taxpayer dollars flow to health care plans that cover abortion and no health care worker has to participate in abortions against their will."

In fact, the Affordable Care Act already keeps public dollars separate from the private insurance payments that cover abortion. A federal judge ruled in August that the anti-abortion group Susan B. Anthony List had to stop making the claim on its website that "Obamacare" subsidizes abortions because the assertion is false.

Protect Life Act Passes House: Congress Passes Controversial Anti-Abortion Bill

The only thing this GOP led Congress has passed is stuff on abortion, DOMA, and making gay marriage illegal. Now this, another abortion bill.

Why is it that the GOP keeps writing and passing this bill when they've done it so many times before?

I think that the American people are way more concerned with jobs and the economy than they are about abortion.

Why? More people need jobs than abortions.

By Laura Bassett

WASHINGTON -- After an emotional floor debate, the House of Representatives on Thursday passed the so-called Protect Life Act, which prohibits women from buying health insurance plans that cover abortion under the Affordable Care Act and makes it legal for hospitals to deny abortions to pregnant women with life-threatening conditions.

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.), a proponent of the bill, told voters last week that its purpose is "to ensure that no taxpayer dollars flow to health care plans that cover abortion and no health care worker has to participate in abortions against their will."

In fact, the Affordable Care Act already keeps public dollars separate from the private insurance payments that cover abortion. A federal judge ruled in August that the anti-abortion group Susan B. Anthony List had to stop making the claim on its website that "Obamacare" subsidizes abortions because the assertion is false.

Protect Life Act Passes House: Congress Passes Controversial Anti-Abortion Bill

The only thing this GOP led Congress has passed is stuff on abortion, DOMA, and making gay marriage illegal. Now this, another abortion bill.

Why is it that the GOP keeps writing and passing this bill when they've done it so many times before?

I think that the American people are way more concerned with jobs and the economy than they are about abortion.

Now that is a fair point. What the hell are they doing?

So, explain to me why these evil Republicans would choose NOW to undermine what they helped pass in the first place?

I'm not sure I follow the premise: which Republicans currently holding office helped to pass EMTALA 25 years ago?

Does the Republicans' proposed FY2012 budget not seek to fatally undermine and gradually eliminate EMTALA? It's important to look at the totality of the legislation they've passed, instead of just assuming they haven't undone something yet that might mitigate the effects of another piece of their legislative agenda.

I'd be willing to bet that you threw your back out moving those goalposts.

Can you provide the HR number and roll call for this piece of legislation that your TP bible references?
Because you obviously missed my previous post that discredited their own story:

In the case of an anti-abortion hospital with a patient requiring an emergency abortion, ETMALA would require that hospital to perform it or transfer the patient to someone who can.
New GOP Bill Would Allow Hospitals To Let Women Die Instead Of Having An Abortion | TPMDC

:eusa_whistle:

Can you provide the HR number and roll call for this piece of legislation that your TP bible references?

In the case of an anti-abortion hospital with a patient requiring an emergency abortion, ETMALA would require that hospital to perform it or transfer the patient to someone who can.

I'm not talking about the TPMDC story (beyond reacting to your reaction to it). I'm saying that pointing to EMTALA as a redeeming influence is dangerous when EMTALA itself is endangered by separate GOP legislation. Not that I anticipate any of their extremist legislation becoming law; but we're talking about the hypothetical situation in which their legislative agenda (primarily the bills the GOP House has already passed) becomes law.

I'm not talking about the TPMDC story (beyond reacting to your reaction to it). I'm saying that pointing to EMTALA as a redeeming influence is dangerous when EMTALA itself is endangered by separate GOP legislation. Not that I anticipate any of their extremist legislation becoming law; but we're talking about the hypothetical situation in which their legislative agenda (primarily the bills the GOP House has already passed) becomes law.

Still no links. Interesting.

Fulfilling a campaign promise to the people who voted for them. Used to be that was considered a good thing in a politician.

You DO realize this isn't the only thing they're doing, right? They can and do multitask on Capitol Hill.

It's a baby inside you. I'll still want to smack my right wing side up the head for not understanding the bible and its in the blood. The word of Jehovah tells you this.

Means though we should not block the morning after pill. Aye Carumba. My heart just breaks every day when I cannot and will not for the life of me, listen to people who are so intent on getting a morning after pill to women who have just made a mistake, that you would rather bitch and riot against them because now you have put the choice between a rock and a hard place.

This is agonizing. Most women go oh crap. Do you know what this is like? I missed my period. Yowzah.

I've seen their pain. Just a mistake. But I still think if they could have just done the morning after pill we wouldn't have an industry dedicated to sucking out little bodies out of women who just made a mistake one night.

For me, I was always so thrilled. I was told I could never have children. Three are in this world now. Hehehe. That should frighten the world, but I love them to death. I feel so blessed.

Last edited:

Fulfilling a campaign promise to the people who voted for them. Used to be that was considered a good thing in a politician.

You DO realize this isn't the only thing they're doing, right? They can and do multitask on Capitol Hill.

I really think part of the problem is what we expect of our lawmakers. I don't want promises of how they are gonna rock and roll Capitol Hill nor Paliament Hill. I can do that. All I want is for them to fix roads And basic services.

I think it's crazy what we desire government to do. I don't want them to be able to take so much of my money (I'm in Canada now hehehe:lol: not Tennessee)

I don't want government at all in my life. I don't want anyone who has been either a lawyer or a dog catcher making decisions (and no offense to lawyers or dog catchers) making decisions for me or my family.

Speaking of job creation, how many did the democrats create when they had two full years of filibuster proof house and senate? None, but their policies sure did cost alot of jobs. How convenient that you forget where the blame should lie.

With the Republican congress, the Bush administration, the Dem congress, the Obama administration, the Tea Party members of Congress.

All are at fault, period.

The tea party just came into existence, so please carefully detail their involvement.

They were electd on a jobs mandate, did nothing about jobs, and nearly collapsed the government economically. End of story.

Fulfilling a campaign promise is great. I dont recall anyone campaigning on it do you?

With the Republican congress, the Bush administration, the Dem congress, the Obama administration, the Tea Party members of Congress.

The tea party just came into existence, so please carefully detail their involvement.

They were electd on a jobs mandate, did nothing about jobs, and nearly collapsed the government economically. End of story.

When did they get signed in?

How is this working? Because I know how governments work despite the Axelrod spinners.

End of story. Kiss my ass with all due respect. And right there your first lie and spin is about jobs.

The tea party people got elected to stop all douche bags in Washington to keep spending.

I am absolutely not going to let you get away with bullshit like this.

I know how you play your game. What you are now throwing out there is a lie. An out and out lie.

The Tea Party is and will be about stopping spending.

Even on the mighty q I can still figure out Axelrod's insanity.

No they weren't elected to do any such thing. They were elected to STOP obama from expanding government beyond the next ten generations to pay the debt. They are doing that admirably too.

Now back to the thread and the point of this discussion. All I want is for a woman or for a man to be able to prevent any situation that we have to deal with later.

This is from a conservative born again Ted Nugent Christian here. Please people. Can we stop holier sp? than thou?

I just want to stop babies from being aborted.

I thought they were elected by an anti government fringe group that only cared about destroying your Republican Party. How, exactly, did that morph into a jobs mandate?

No they weren't elected to do any such thing. They were elected to STOP obama from expanding government beyond the next ten generations to pay the debt. They are doing that admirably too.

Thank you so much. I'm doing cyber cartwheels thru the house.

:eusa_angel:

Fulfilling a campaign promise is great. I dont recall anyone campaigning on it do you?

Actually, I recall that windbag Boehner campaigning on jobs and the economy, like many of the other GOP did.

And.........I don't mind when a person fulfills a campaign promise, matter of fact, they should do that on a regular basis, but they never campaigned on abortion or right to life, nor did they campaign on DOMA, but that is all they've done since they've convened.

And...........what's even worse, the abortion laws have ALREADY BEEN PASSED SEVERAL TIMES. It's time to start working on jobs now, don't ya think?

Care to show a source saying that?
The tea party was ssent to D.C. to do what they are doing right now trying to stop obama fucking this country up even more than it is.

Actually, I recall that windbag Boehner campaigning on jobs and the economy, like many of the other GOP did.

And.........I don't mind when a person fulfills a campaign promise, matter of fact, they should do that on a regular basis, but they never campaigned on abortion or right to life, nor did they campaign on DOMA, but that is all they've done since they've convened.

And...........what's even worse, the abortion laws have ALREADY BEEN PASSED SEVERAL TIMES. It's time to start working on jobs now, don't ya think?

Two words link plaes.

Two words link plaes.

Look up the bills yourself you ignorant ass. HR2, HR3, are just 2 examples.

The Pledge to America is a list of proposed legislative items that the Republican Party promised to pursue in the 112th Congress if Republicans gained a majority of the seats in the U.S. House of Representatives in the November 2010 election.

In the pledge, Republicans call for:

Extending the temporary tax cuts passed under President George W. Bush in 2001 and 2003 for all taxpayers, including those for those earning over $200,000 ($250,000 for married couples).
A tax deduction for small businesses on up to 20 percent of their business income.
A hold on all unspent funds authorized as part of 2009's stimulus bill or the 2008 TARP legislation.
Roll back government spending to 2008 levels, to save $100 billion while exempting "seniors, veterans, and our troops" from cuts; this would entail cutting 21 percent of the $477 billion budgeted for domestic discretionary spending.[4]
A hiring freeze on all federal agencies except those necessary to national security.
A repeal of the 2010 health-care reform bill.
Reform of medical liability and health insurance practices.
A permanent ban on any federal funding for abortion.
A requirement that Congress post all bills online three days before a vote.
A requirement that lawmakers cite the specific constitutional authority that enables the legislation.
A ban on trials on U.S. soil for detainees currently held at Guantanamo Bay.

Pledge to America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yeah, I do. What campaign were YOU watching?

Forum List

Back