U.S. Marine Banned From Wearing Dress Blues for HS Graduation

I'm not sure I feel that strongly one way or another on this issue, but when he went to school there he wasn't a Marine.
He graduated early and returned a Marine. Thank you for your open mind on the subject.
I certainly would be for him wearing it if he was in ROTC or something, I'm not sure that have that in high schools though.

[
I have taught for over 18 years and served as assistant principal of a high school with over 3200 students.

I have a far better grip on reality than some private school teacher who couldn't meet the qualifications to teach public school. I have yet to meet a private school teacher who chose to teach private school unless they were unqualified to teach public schools because of certification requirements. The pay scale of private schools is so inferior that it attracts sufficient unqualified teachers for that reason.

That's interesting. Down here private high school teachers get paid way more than public, which means they are usually better qualified than public school.

Where is "down here"?

Even at the 'elite" private schools, teachers are usually paid much less than starting pay at a public school.

Australia. It costs about $35,000 a year to attend...Teachers at private schools are much better paid and more qualified...

BTW, this is an observation. I'm not taking sides in your argument with Bush92...

[
I have taught for over 18 years and served as assistant principal of a high school with over 3200 students.

I have a far better grip on reality than some private school teacher who couldn't meet the qualifications to teach public school. I have yet to meet a private school teacher who chose to teach private school unless they were unqualified to teach public schools because of certification requirements. The pay scale of private schools is so inferior that it attracts sufficient unqualified teachers for that reason.

That's interesting. Down here private high school teachers get paid way more than public, which means they are usually better qualified than public school.
[

[

Thank you...your ma is a wonderful woman. I recant my last post on this...but you were pushing it a bit. Lol.

My neighbour taught an the most expensive private boys school in Canada. He said he felt guilty about teaching there because he should be teaching poor kids, helping them to raise themselves up (I nearly gagged on this), but they paid so well, and had the BEST resources money could buy, small class sizes and parents who actually gave a shit.

He did have some reservations about telling the Prime Minister of Canada that his son was in danger of failing science, but other than that, it was a great place to teach.

I have taught in 5 different high schools in two states and for the DoD. Not not one of these schools would allow anyone to not wear the cap and gown. Notice I said DoD, as all of my students were all military dependents.

I live right outside that same Army post and none of the off-post high schools would allow this either. It is not the yuppy school administrators but the elected boards of education that set these policies. Sadly, you are barking up the wrong tree.

All of these schools have an award ceremony for their graduating students and recruits form all services are recognized. That is the proper forum for these students. No dress code outside of normal school requirements is usually mandated.

Just because you personally have not witnessed people graduating in their uniforms does not mean it never happens, cup cake.

And when a service member requests that they be allowed to graduate in uniform they should be granted that honor.

If this type action is commonplace, don't you think that the Department of Defense's own high schools would have a policy allowing such actions?

They do not.

I would say that it it is your responsibility to prove that it DOES happen in the majority of the schools in order to justify changing of the policy.

BTW, why have you reduced yourself to insults? Do you think you are losing the argument?

Listening to someone pray and denigrate your beliefs is something the SCOTUS has ruled upon and I as a Christian and teacher agree 100%. It has no business in schools.

How does listening to a Buddhist pray denigrate your beliefs?

You sound rather intolerant, bubba.

Pardon, me but your ignorance is showing again. Many religious views are in conflict with other religions.

Let's use Christian prayer as an example. A few years back before it became more restrictive, a graduating student led the prayer at our graduation and basically called out all other faiths as going to burn in the pits of hell if they did not repent of their sins and accept Jesus Christ as their personal savior.

If you were a Christian you should be embarrassed and if you are not you should be offended that someone would denigrate your beliefs in such a setting.

Would you be OK with a prayer by a Pastafarian encouraging you to let the Flying Spaghetti Monster touch you with his noodly appendages? If you do, say "Ramen".

[

Where is "down here"?

Even at the 'elite" private schools, teachers are usually paid much less than starting pay at a public school.

Australia. It costs about $35,000 a year to attend...Teachers at private schools are much better paid and more qualified...

BTW, this is an observation. I'm not taking sides in your argument with Bush92...

We are talking about the United States. There are private schools who pay their teachers quite well, and their tuition is also very high.

Generally, in the US, a private school's faculty is usually paid significantly less or sometimes the pay almost non-existent if the teacher's children attend the school.

If this type action is commonplace, don't you think that the Department of Defense's own high schools would have a policy allowing such actions?

They do not.

I would say that it it is your responsibility to prove that it DOES happen in the majority of the schools in order to justify changing of the policy.

BTW, why have you reduced yourself to insults? Do you think you are losing the argument?
I apologize if my 'cupcake' comment was taken as an attempt to insult you. I was merely shooting for smart ass, not jack ass, but I am sorry if I offended you.

You attempt to use supposition for what the DoD would do presumes that DoD would be on top of the situation, any situation actually, and I dont think that their track record justifies such a presumption.

Now THAT was an insult at the DoD and only because it is also true, IMO.

Pardon, me but your ignorance is showing again. Many religious views are in conflict with other religions.

Let's use Christian prayer as an example. A few years back before it became more restrictive, a graduating student led the prayer at our graduation and basically called out all other faiths as going to burn in the pits of hell if they did not repent of their sins and accept Jesus Christ as their personal savior.

If you were a Christian you should be embarrassed and if you are not you should be offended that someone would denigrate your beliefs in such a setting.

Would you be OK with a prayer by a Pastafarian encouraging you to let the Flying Spaghetti Monster touch you with his noodly appendages? If you do, say "Ramen".

Well, certainly offensive prayers that preach fire and brimstone are not appropriate for such settings, however I have been in situations where prayers have been led by Muslims, Jews, Buddhists and Hindus and I was never offended by any of them.

Methinks you might be tipping your hand as to your age, lol.

Well, certainly offensive prayers that preach fire and brimstone are not appropriate for such settings, however I have been in situations where prayers have been led by Muslims, Jews, Buddhists and Hindus and I was never offended by any of them.

Methinks you might be tipping your hand as to your age, lol.

What has my age have to do with it?

I taught in an inner city school filled with refugees from all over the world. I was often the only Christian in the room. That gave me a new found respect for intolerance of religion.

They do not.

I apologize if my 'cupcake' comment was taken as an attempt to insult you. I was merely shooting for smart ass, not jack ass, but I am sorry if I offended you.

You attempt to use supposition for what the DoD would do presumes that DoD would be on top of the situation, any situation actually, and I dont think that their track record justifies such a presumption.

Now THAT was an insult at the DoD and only because it is also true, IMO.

Why would they not be? They only have two high schools in the US.

Forum List

Back