U.S. Marines Take Down Gunman On French High Speed Train

Ok this is totally cool! One young Airman, one National Guard and one student are recognized as heroes.

GetFile.aspx

Anthony Sadler (L), from Pittsburg, California, and Alek Skarlatos from Roseburg, Oregon, hold their medals as they sit in a restaurant after a brief ceremony in the town of Arras, northern France.

Great write up at link that details the action and the appreciation.

"French movie actor Jean-Hugues Anglade, star of international hits Betty Blue and Nikita, who was also on the train, was quoted as saying by BFMTV: "We were stuck in the wrong place with the right people. It's miraculous."

American Heroes: How We Overpowered French Train Attacker

Oorah, gentleman.

Although, I'm curious how something like this could happen in Europe with all of their gun control.

U.S. Marines prevent massacre on board French high-speed train

Thanks for the article....as I have pointed out...gun control does not work even in Europe. that they don't have more gun murders is a culture issue not an access issue since they can get fully automatic rifles,if they want them. Their criminals prefer to use fully automatic rifles over pistols....definitely a culture issue, since pistols would be far easier to use....how did he get it on the train?

There are no bag checks or security checks for trains in Europe.

Last edited:
Keep in mind....this guy was apparetnly well known to European governments....and he still got his hands on a fully automatice rifle....

It amazes me that these people they are tracking, who are Muslims, traveling to and from places like Syria, are allowed to roam free in the country. People like that should be held up at the airport and immediately deported.

Well the French had a bunch of them "Bravery" medals sitting around since before WW2, so they took the opportunity to dish 4 out, 1 to a brit

Oorah, gentleman.

Although, I'm curious how something like this could happen in Europe with all of their gun control.

When have even the strictest gun-control measures ever stopped an intent criminal or terrorist from obtaining a firearm? From what I've read, the media is saying that the shithead had and "automatic weapon", probably an AK-47. Everything to the media is an "automatic" weapon, even if it's a semi-auto version.

Even a full-auto AK would be relatively easy to obtain on that side of the world. Russia, Bulgaria, China, North Korea has been flooding the world with full-auto weapons for decades. Anyone who erroneously states that "t US is the biggest exporter of guns" is full of crap. In parts of Africa, it's been said that you can get a military version of the AK for cheaper than a loaf of bread.

Given all the shit going on in Syria, I would guess it's pretty easy to obtain one and smuggle it into Europe.

Well the French had a bunch of them "Bravery" medals sitting around since before WW2, so they took the opportunity to dish 4 out, 1 to a brit

Any bets on how long it will take the Obama administration to honor those men with medals?

Imaging if he had been taught the first IA in how to clear a jammed weapon?

Fuck. It wouldn't have been pretty. Thank God the qualifications for joining ISIS or Al Qaeda are shlipshod.

Keep in mind....this guy was apparetnly well known to European governments....and he still got his hands on a fully automatice rifle....

It amazes me that these people they are tracking, who are Muslims, traveling to and from places like Syria, are allowed to roam free in the country. People like that should be held up at the airport and immediately deported.

European countries don't have borders like we do.

Oh wait.

Just to qualify that a bit.....

Amsterdam to Paris, correct.

Recently, though, I took the train from Amsterdam via Brussels to London. No check at all on the first leg but the most intrusively thorough bag and personal check I've ever experienced before getting on the train between Brussels and London.

Just to qualify that a bit.....

Amsterdam to Paris, correct.

Recently, though, I took the train from Amsterdam via Brussels to London. No check at all on the first leg but the most intrusively thorough bag and personal check I've ever experienced before getting on the train between Brussels and London.
Yes I also took those train. Good site seeing and never get tired. The search is tough and intrusive but nothing compared in Israel.

European countries don't have borders like we do.

Oh wait.
A lot members on this site don't know that. They think we have the worst border in the world.

Any bets on how long it will take the Obama administration to honor those men with medals?
Since when a president give awards immediately as it happened.
Awards he was giving was decades old that were ignored for many years before he even became a senator.
We are talking about American heroism. Not Obama.

Oorah, gentleman.

Thanks for the article....as I have pointed out...gun control does not work even in Europe. that they don't have more gun murders is a culture issue not an access issue since they can get fully automatic rifles,if they want them. Their criminals prefer to use fully automatic rifles over pistols....definitely a culture issue, since pistols would be far easier to use....how did he get it on the train?

Not routinely but random. Depending on the crisis level.

Ok this is totally cool! One young Airman, one National Guard and one student are recognized as heroes.

GetFile.aspx

Anthony Sadler (L), from Pittsburg, California, and Alek Skarlatos from Roseburg, Oregon, hold their medals as they sit in a restaurant after a brief ceremony in the town of Arras, northern France.

Great write up at link that details the action and the appreciation.

"French movie actor Jean-Hugues Anglade, star of international hits Betty Blue and Nikita, who was also on the train, was quoted as saying by BFMTV: "We were stuck in the wrong place with the right people. It's miraculous."

American Heroes: How We Overpowered French Train Attacker

What a great picture.Two Americans, Black and White, showing the world how we can work together....Eat your hearts out ShootSpeeders, Matthew, and Steve McGarret. This is the kind of American cohesion I dream of...
These guys are my heroes for more reasons than just saving lives on that train!

Train hero gets stabbed here at home...

Airman Spencer Stone, who helped stop French train attack, stabbed
October 8`15 - The U.S. airman who helped stop a gunman on a high-speed train in France was stabbed on Oct. 8 in Sacramento, Calif., according to officials with the Air Force. He's now in stable condition. (Reuters)
Airman 1st Class Spencer Stone, one of three Americans who helped stop an armed gunman aboard a Paris-bound train in August, was stabbed early Thursday morning in Sacramento, Calif., in an altercation, Air Force officials said. Stone was transported to a local hospital, and is currently receiving treatment and in stable condition, said Lt. Col. Christopher Karns, an Air Force spokesman. The incident remains under investigation by police, but they said they did not believe he was targeted because of his role in stopping a terrorist attack. Stone, 23, grew up near Sacramento. He and friends Anthony Sadler, 23, and Army National Guard Spec. Alek Skarlatos, 22, are credited with taking down Ayoub El Khazzani, a 25-year-old Moroccan, after he opened fire on a train traveling from Amsterdam to Paris on Aug. 21. Their actions averted a possible mass shooting, authorities said.

2015-10-08T153636Z_01_TOR500_RTRIDSP_3_USA-CALIFORNIA-STABBING.jpg

A gunman opened fire on a high-speed train traveling from Amsterdam to Paris, wounding two people before being subdued by three American passengers.​

Officer Traci Trapani with the Sacramento Police Department said in an email that detectives responded to a call at 12:46 a.m. in which a man in his mid-20s was found stabbed repeatedly near 21st and K streets, in an area known as Midtown that includes several bars and clubs. “It is believed that the victim was out with a group of friends when a physical altercation led to the victim being stabbed multiple times in his upper body,” the Trapani said. “Detectives were called to the scene to assist with the investigation and the victim is currently being treated for what appears to be non-life threatening injuries.”

Police said they respect the identity of all crime victims, and will not release the man’s name. No arrests have been made at this time, but police added in a tweet that the incident is not considered a terrorist act. Alcohol appears to have been a factor, they added, without elaborating on what occurred. The Sacramento Bee newspaper reported Thursday that police initially did not think that Stone would survive. An employee of A&P Liquors, a store near where Stone was stabbed, told the newspaper that the a security camera there showed a fight occurred. Contacted by The Washington Post on Thursday, an employee there said police had visited and asked for the video.

MORE

See also:

The France train heroes will all head to Roseburg in show of support after massacre
October 5,`15 - The three Americans credited with stopping a terrorist attack on a train in France will join together to support Roseburg, Ore., the small city where a mass shooting occurred last week at Umpqua Community College.
Airman 1st Class Spencer Stone and Anthony Sadler, both 23, will join Army National Guard Spec. Alek Skarlatos, 22, in Roseburg in coming days as the city recovers following the Oct. 1 attack that left nine people dead before authorities say the gunman, Chris Harper-Mercer, committed suicide. Skarlotos graduated from high school in Roseburg, and went back there after the attack. Stone and Sadler said in a phone interview that they plan to join him soon. They were in New York City over the weekend to receive an award for valor from Belgium’s government. It was the latest honor they received for subduing Ayoub El Khazzani, a 25-year-old Moroccan, after he opened fire on a train traveling from Amsterdam to Paris on Aug. 21.

imrs.php

Airman 1st Class Spencer Stone, raises his injured left hand beside Defense Secretary Ashton B. Carter, left, and Gen. Paul Selva, vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, before being awarded medals for his role in disarming a gunman on a Paris-bound train on Aug. 21, at the Pentagon.​

The three friends were traveling through Europe when Khazzani entered their train car armed with two guns, a knife and magazines of ammunition. Stone charged the man, and his friends helped subdue him after he emerged from a bathroom ready to attack, witnesses said. Stone and Sadler said it has been difficult keeping up with the demands on their time since. Their events have included visiting President Obama in the Oval Office, appearing on national television repeatedly and having dinner at Arnold Schwarzenegger’s house, they said. Skarlotos also agreed to be on ABC’s “Dancing with the Stars,” putting on hold classes he planned to take at Umpqua Community College.

“Honestly, taking down the guy on the train was way easier than any of this aftermath stuff,” Stone said. “It’s constantly go, go, go on our schedule and all these expectations that are a lot harder than having to do what we did.” But the friends, who have known each other since middle school, are grateful for the recognition. Sadler said meeting Obama was “pretty cool,” and Stone described with excitement spending time with Redskins backup quarterback Robert Griffin III on the sidelines of a football game and meeting with numerous members of the Washington Nationals while touring the stadium last month. Sadler, a student at California State University, Sacramento, said it has been difficult to keep up with classwork. But he still intends to graduate from college next spring.

MORE

Forum List

Back