U.S. Republicans see a clash of civilizations. French president says no

Coyote

Varmint
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 17, 2009
Republicans are certainly slavoring to find a way to use this tragedy to their political advantage. Even Bush was very clear - this isn't a war against Islam, but against extremism and terrorism.

U.S. Republicans see a clash of civilizations. French president says no.

...Sen. Marco Rubio (Fla.), a Republican presidential hopeful, created the most stir when appearing Sunday on ABC's "This Week." Reacting to Hillary Clinton's statement that she didn't believe the United States was at war with Islam, Rubio suggested, "That would be like saying we weren’t at war with Nazis, because we were afraid to offend some Germans who may have been members of the Nazi Party but weren’t violent themselves."

Rubio continued: "This is a clash of civilizations.... There is no middle ground on this. Either they win or we win. And we need to begin to take this seriously. These are individuals motivated by their faith."

This apocalyptic line — that we're locked in a live-or-die civilizational struggle — is a popular theme in the Republican debates, where an array of candidates grandstand on the cultural nature of the threat as a way to highlight the supposed weakness and political correctness of their Democratic opponents.

But French President François Hollande, whose nation's capital was the scene of carnage last week, does not agree with this talking point.

On Monday, he addressed the French Parliament, declaring, "France is at war." But he specifically rejected the rhetoric espoused by politicians such as Rubio and, closer to home, the far-right leader Marine Le Pen.

"We are not committed to a war of civilizations, because these assassins don't represent any civilization," Hollande said. "We are in a war against terrorism, jihadism, which threatens the whole world."

The islamic faith does NOT permit the American way of life. And it shows NO wish to do so. Its a violation of their faith to do so.

... and the world's resources are being used to defeat what ideology?
You bet there's a clash of civilizations

The islamic faith does NOT permit the American way of life. And it shows NO wish to do so. Its a violation of their faith to do so.

Hundreds of thousands of Muslim-Americans disagree with you, and I think it's a pretty safe bet that they're better informed about the Islamic faith than you are.
They as Americans are free to disagree. But I still don't want MORE here. NO SALE.

Hundreds of thousands of Muslim-Americans disagree with you, and I think it's a pretty safe bet that they're better informed about the Islamic faith than you are.
They as Americans are free to disagree. But I still don't want MORE here. NO SALE.

Good for you.

Why should we care what you want?

Hundreds of thousands of Muslim-Americans disagree with you, and I think it's a pretty safe bet that they're better informed
about the Islamic faith than you are.

Are those Muslims that are attempting to establish Shariah Law disagreeing or are they merely refusing to assimilate into society?

Hundreds of thousands of Muslim-Americans disagree with you, and I think it's a pretty safe bet that they're better informed
about the Islamic faith than you are.

Are those Muslims that are attempting to establish Shariah Law disagreeing or are they merely refusing to assimilate into society?

There are very few Muslims in the US seeking to "establish" Sharia Law. Many of them wish to follow Sharia law, but that's not the same thing.

Good for you.

Well I would think you would care about what other Americans think BEFORE caring about what another country thinks.

Republicans are certainly slavoring to find a way to use this tragedy to their political advantage. Even Bush was very clear - this isn't a war against Islam, but against extremism and terrorism.

...Sen. Marco Rubio (Fla.), a Republican presidential hopeful, created the most stir when appearing Sunday on ABC's "This Week." Reacting to Hillary Clinton's statement that she didn't believe the United States was at war with Islam, Rubio suggested, "That would be like saying we weren’t at war with Nazis, because we were afraid to offend some Germans who may have been members of the Nazi Party but weren’t violent themselves."

Rubio continued: "This is a clash of civilizations.... There is no middle ground on this. Either they win or we win. And we need to begin to take this seriously. These are individuals motivated by their faith."

This apocalyptic line — that we're locked in a live-or-die civilizational struggle — is a popular theme in the Republican debates, where an array of candidates grandstand on the cultural nature of the threat as a way to highlight the supposed weakness and political correctness of their Democratic opponents.

But French President François Hollande, whose nation's capital was the scene of carnage last week, does not agree with this talking point.

On Monday, he addressed the French Parliament, declaring, "France is at war." But he specifically rejected the rhetoric espoused by politicians such as Rubio and, closer to home, the far-right leader Marine Le Pen.

"We are not committed to a war of civilizations, because these assassins don't represent any civilization," Hollande said. "We are in a war against terrorism, jihadism, which threatens the whole world."
Wayyyyy Wayyyyy too much watching the Kate Upton commercial for Game of War.

Leave it to a far left drone to believe a far left drone blog site like the Washington post..

But then again these drones need a distraction from the horrid policies and illegal wars of Obama..

Good for you.

Well I would think you would care about what other Americans think BEFORE caring about what another country thinks.

I'm asking specifically why we should care what you want.

I support resettling refugees in the US - do you care what I want?

Good for you.

Are you going to invite many of them to stay with you? or are you going to be a typical far left drone and expect others to do what you will not do?

Good for you.

Then put them in the states that WANT them. Do not force them onto states that do NOT want them.

Good for you.

Then put them in the states that WANT them. Do not force them onto states that do NOT want them.

I'm not the one who gets to make that call. But I see no reason that hysterical fear should be a legitimate factor in making that decision.

Forum List

Back