U.S. Republicans see a clash of civilizations. French president says no

Republicans are certainly slavoring to find a way to use this tragedy to their political advantage. Even Bush was very clear - this isn't a war against Islam, but against extremism and terrorism.

U.S. Republicans see a clash of civilizations. French president says no.

...Sen. Marco Rubio (Fla.), a Republican presidential hopeful, created the most stir when appearing Sunday on ABC's "This Week." Reacting to Hillary Clinton's statement that she didn't believe the United States was at war with Islam, Rubio suggested, "That would be like saying we weren’t at war with Nazis, because we were afraid to offend some Germans who may have been members of the Nazi Party but weren’t violent themselves."

Rubio continued: "This is a clash of civilizations.... There is no middle ground on this. Either they win or we win. And we need to begin to take this seriously. These are individuals motivated by their faith."

This apocalyptic line — that we're locked in a live-or-die civilizational struggle — is a popular theme in the Republican debates, where an array of candidates grandstand on the cultural nature of the threat as a way to highlight the supposed weakness and political correctness of their Democratic opponents.

But French President François Hollande, whose nation's capital was the scene of carnage last week, does not agree with this talking point.

On Monday, he addressed the French Parliament, declaring, "France is at war." But he specifically rejected the rhetoric espoused by politicians such as Rubio and, closer to home, the far-right leader Marine Le Pen.

"We are not committed to a war of civilizations, because these assassins don't represent any civilization," Hollande said. "We are in a war against terrorism, jihadism, which threatens the whole world."

Leave it to a far left drone to believe a far left drone blog site like the Washington post..

But then again these drones need a distraction from the horrid policies and illegal wars of Obama..

Never mind the links! LOL And btw the WP helped lead the media charge for W's invasion

Yes many far left drones try and use that to justify the fact that the WP is nothing more than a far left drone blog site..

I am sure the WP reported on the 1991 Gulf war..
dude the story contained links to the statements. Remove your head from the sand on the playground.

Well I would think you would care about what other Americans think BEFORE caring about what another country thinks.

I'm asking specifically why we should care what you want.

I support resettling refugees in the US - do you care what I want?
Then put them in the states that WANT them. Do not force them onto states that do NOT want them.

I'm not the one who gets to make that call. But I see no reason that hysterical fear should be a legitimate factor in making that decision.

You confuse fear with logical prevention.

There's nothing "logical" about shitting your pants because people with scary religions are moving in.

Yes that is why the Syrian's are refugees right?

Republicans are certainly slavoring to find a way to use this tragedy to their political advantage. Even Bush was very clear - this isn't a war against Islam, but against extremism and terrorism.

U.S. Republicans see a clash of civilizations. French president says no.

...Sen. Marco Rubio (Fla.), a Republican presidential hopeful, created the most stir when appearing Sunday on ABC's "This Week." Reacting to Hillary Clinton's statement that she didn't believe the United States was at war with Islam, Rubio suggested, "That would be like saying we weren’t at war with Nazis, because we were afraid to offend some Germans who may have been members of the Nazi Party but weren’t violent themselves."

Rubio continued: "This is a clash of civilizations.... There is no middle ground on this. Either they win or we win. And we need to begin to take this seriously. These are individuals motivated by their faith."

This apocalyptic line — that we're locked in a live-or-die civilizational struggle — is a popular theme in the Republican debates, where an array of candidates grandstand on the cultural nature of the threat as a way to highlight the supposed weakness and political correctness of their Democratic opponents.

But French President François Hollande, whose nation's capital was the scene of carnage last week, does not agree with this talking point.

On Monday, he addressed the French Parliament, declaring, "France is at war." But he specifically rejected the rhetoric espoused by politicians such as Rubio and, closer to home, the far-right leader Marine Le Pen.

"We are not committed to a war of civilizations, because these assassins don't represent any civilization," Hollande said. "We are in a war against terrorism, jihadism, which threatens the whole world."

Leave it to a far left drone to believe a far left drone blog site like the Washington post..

But then again these drones need a distraction from the horrid policies and illegal wars of Obama..

Never mind the links! LOL And btw the WP helped lead the media charge for W's invasion

Yes many far left drones try and use that to justify the fact that the WP is nothing more than a far left drone blog site..

I am sure the WP reported on the 1991 Gulf war..
dude the story contained links to the statements. Remove your head from the sand on the playground.

You mean quotes out of context? Yes the far left blog sites often do that and you far left drones believe it without question or hesitation..

Well I would think you would care about what other Americans think BEFORE caring about what another country thinks.

Then put them in the states that WANT them. Do not force them onto states that do NOT want them.

I'm not the one who gets to make that call. But I see no reason that hysterical fear should be a legitimate factor in making that decision.

There's nothing "logical" about shitting your pants because people with scary religions are moving in.

Why are liberals so anal retentive?

I'm not going to invite any of them to "stay" with me, since I live in a one-bedroom apartment and the entire premise is ridiculous.

But I have no problem with them moving to where I live.

So you will be a typical far left drone and expect others to what you want, go figure that one..

So you do not want to be inconvenienced, but is ok if others are..

Where are you getting this ridiculous idea that refugees are going to be forced into people's homes?
Europe. And don't we base a lot of our bullshit off Europe now? :)

Well, no - we don't.

And no refugees have been forced into private homes in Europe, either.

So now we go from a person willing to invite and lead by example to "forced"..

And you keep proving why you are a far left drone..

So are you going to give up your bed for these refugees? or do you want to "force" them on others?

:lol:

It's amazing to watch how ridiculous the meltdowns from you guys are getting.

There's no shortage of space or beds for refugees, there's no reason why I should "give up my bed" to anyone.

this gets so damn tiring. these people act like they KNOW what the millions of the people in this country who are Republican is trying to make blaa blaa or how they are thinking and feeling too. it's just amazing. it's some magic crystal ball they have I guess

so if that's the case then when Bill Maher calls women Cxxts that means every Democrat/leftie/ liberal agrees and believes all the women in the country are, cxxts. be they Democrat/Republican/independent

Last edited:

If he knew what he was talking about, he would have accurately called them migrants.

Seriously how many more times do we have to have this radical Islam vs Islam debate? Ever since the 9-11 attacks Republicans have made clear we are at war with radical Islam and Muslim extremist not Islam or Muslims who just want to practice their religion and live their lives.

So you will be a typical far left drone and expect others to what you want, go figure that one..

Where are you getting this ridiculous idea that refugees are going to be forced into people's homes?

Well, no - we don't.

So are you going to give up your bed for these refugees? or do you want to "force" them on others?

There's no shortage of space or beds for refugees, there's no reason why I should "give up my bed" to anyone.

how do you know there is no shortage? and why should the rest of us be FORCED to do because some of you don't care about it. and be forced to PAY FOR IT too. You people step up and offer your money and homes. come on that's only right

Only one problem OP, the world has a long history of wars breaking out between Muslims and Christians.

Well, no - we don't.

Exactly you do not care as long as does not affect you, right?

Typical far left drone..

But then again to this one inviting means forced..

If he knew what he was talking about, he would have accurately called them migrants.

Well maybe that is what they meant since they believe that inviting someone is being "forced"..

No, "migrant" is not the right term.

"Refugee" or "Permanent Resident Alien" would be accurate.

They failed to fight for their country and chose to run............and migrate.

"Migrant" refers to a person who migrates regularly, like migrant farm workers. Not applicable.

Refugee is a perfectly applicable term.

Well, no - we don't.

how do you know there is no shortage? and why should the rest of us be FORCED to do because some of you don't care about it. and be forced to PAY FOR IT too. You people step up and offer your money and homes. come on that's only right

You don't understand how refugee resettlement in this country works, do you?

[/QUOTE]

all those able bodied YOUNG men you see standing in the lines, WHY aren't they staying and FIGHTING FOR THEIR own countries? You see folks this is the scam they pull over on you. WOULDN'T you stay and fight for your country? now why aren't the MILLIONS on millions of these people and how did they ALL OF A SUDDEN decide they were high tailing it out of there.

who care what names they call you, what they assume they know you want and all the other crap. You PEOPLE need to stop and think about these things and the people are dropping on our laps

all those able bodied YOUNG men you see standing in the lines, WHY aren't they staying and FIGHTING FOR THEIR own countries? You see folks this is the scam they pull over on you. WOULDN'T you stay and fight for your country? now why aren't the MILLIONS on millions of these people and how did they ALL OF A SUDDEN decide they were high tailing it out of there.

who care what names they call you, what they assume they know you want and all the other crap. You PEOPLE need to stop and think about these things and the people are dropping on our laps

The majority of Syrian refugees are children, women and the elderly. Are those the people you believe should be FIGHTING FOR THEIR own country?

The majority of Syrian refugees are children, women and the elderly. Are those the people you believe should be FIGHTING FOR THEIR own country?

:link:

Forum List

Back