U.S. Supreme court deals major blow to the ten commandments

[Dufus pretend theist believes Jesus wrote the 10 Commandments.

Clueless jackass who thinks some old Jewish guy (who "won't replace you", right?) went up a mountain, had a conversation with an invisible cloud being, and came down with a set of laws and rules that the Babylonians had already conceived of 225 years before Moses was even fuckin' born.

So eat shit, weathermoron.

[Dufus pretend theist believes Jesus wrote the 10 Commandments.

Clueless jackass who thinks some old Jewish guy (who "won't replace you", right?) went up a mountain, had a conversation with an invisible cloud being, and came down with a set of laws and rules that the Babylonians had already conceived of 225 years before Moses was even fuckin' born.

So eat shit, weathermoron.
Don't get mad at me because you thought Jesus gave the 10 Commandments.

225 years uh? Not 224? What year was this then?

I never thought that, this is just you trying to do a straw man so you can not look like as big an idiot as you already are in this debate.

And now comes the part where you try to make it about the number and not about the fact that Hammurabi's Code of Laws (from where most of the 10 commandments find their origins) had existed for about 200 years before Moses was even fucking born.

Rabbinic Judaism calculates a lifespan of Moses corresponding to 13911271 BCE; Jerome gives 1592 BCE, and James Ussher gives 1571 BCE as his birth year.

The Code of Hammurabi is a well-preserved Babylonian code of law of ancient Mesopotamia, dating back to about 1754 BC (Middle Chronology). It is one of the oldest deciphered writings of significant length in the world.

So you're trying to give credit to someone who looks to have taken the ideas of someone who came before him.

I never thought that, this is just you trying to do a straw man so you can not look like as big an idiot as you already are in this debate.

And now comes the part where you try to make it about the number and not about the fact that Hammurabi's Code of Laws (from where most of the 10 commandments find their origins) had existed for about 200 years before Moses was even fucking born.

Rabbinic Judaism calculates a lifespan of Moses corresponding to 13911271 BCE; Jerome gives 1592 BCE, and James Ussher gives 1571 BCE as his birth year.

The Code of Hammurabi is a well-preserved Babylonian code of law of ancient Mesopotamia, dating back to about 1754 BC (Middle Chronology). It is one of the oldest deciphered writings of significant length in the world.

So you're trying to give credit to someone who looks to have taken the ideas of someone who came before him.
lol...buddy, you need to put the YouTube conspiracy videos down and start thinking for yourself.

For starters, the Code of Hammurabi were different than the Ten Commandments...they were specific laws written by a king for his people to obey. They were written on multiple stones, tablets etc.
And just about every civilized society had laws written by their King during that time period..even hundreds of years before and after the Code of Hammarubi were written.

So you believe that from Adam and Eve to Noah to Babel to Abraham to Jacob to Joseph no one had laws?

Interesting delusion.

a Klan meeting.shame you cant tell the difference

A Klan meeting is a prayer meeting. Klan meetings begin and end with prayers.

Tell us, is this also a prayer meeting

Probably as I'm sure some of those Republican senators at that prayer meeting wear white hoods in the evenings.
A Klan meeting is a prayer meeting. Klan meetings begin and end with prayers.
So does every session of Congress. So Congress is a prayer meeting. Good to know.

lol...buddy, you need to put the YouTube conspiracy videos down and start thinking for yourself.

I don't post YouTube videos like that, you guys do. And there's no dispute that the Hammurabi Code was around before the Ten Commandments. That's because time is linear. 1750 BC came before 1550 BC.

For starters, the Code of Hammurabi were different than the Ten Commandments...they were specific laws written by a king for his people to obey. They were written on multiple stones, tablets etc.

Soooo, The Code of Hammurabi focused exclusively on criminal and civil laws and meted out harsh, and sometimes brutal, punishments. Laws against rape, murder, theft, etc....all of which worked from the presumption that the accused party was innocent until proven guilty. It's the first set of civil and criminal laws that is recorded in its entirety. This was at least 200 years before Moses was even born, depending on whose estimate of Moses' birth you're using.

And the fact is that while they were written on multiple tablets, they were still written before the Ten Commandments. That's just the timeline, dude. Hammuarbi came before Moses, ergo Hammurabi Code came before Ten Commandments, upon which many of Commandments are based on ancient Babylonian, Sumerian, Egyptian, and Assyrian law.

And if you're saying that somehow the Ten Commandments is a moral law or guide, to that I would also say that the account of Moses getting the Ten Commandments as told in the King James Bible, were written at least 1800 years before the King James Bible was published, as Aesop's morality tales. Again, which a lot of the "morality" on which the Bible is based.

And just about every civilized society had laws written by their King during that time period..even hundreds of years before and after the Code of Hammarubi were written.

Exactly, so to say that it wasn't until the Christian account of the Ten Commandments that society had no morality, or even a rule of law is complete and utter bullshit. Laws and morality existed long before King James had his guys put it in his version of the Bible -the version you use today. God did not hand morality or the rule of law to us; people did. "God" had nothing to do with it.

So you believe that from Adam and Eve to Noah to Babel to Abraham to Jacob to Joseph no one had laws?

I don't believe Adam and Eve even existed. If they were the first people, then that means all of humanity is borne about by incest. What I don't get is how did we get from Adam and Eve to 7 billion people in "5,000 years"? That would mean Adam & Eve not only had sex all the time and she spit out babies like Mama June, but that Adam & Eve had sex with their children, who were having sex with each other, producing a pretty narrow gene pool. Humanity would not exist because the genetics would result in cases of inbreeding worse than your average Southern, Conservative family. The genetics don't add up. Hence, why it's a fairy tale, and why you're using a fairy tale as your guiding moral (?) philosophy.

But you suspend that disbelief, why? How do we get from just two people to 7 billion in "5000 years"?

I don't post YouTube videos like that, you guys do. And there's no dispute that the Hammurabi Code was around before the Ten Commandments. That's because time is linear. 1750 BC came before 1550 BC.

Soooo, The Code of Hammurabi focused exclusively on criminal and civil laws and meted out harsh, and sometimes brutal, punishments. Laws against rape, murder, theft, etc....all of which worked from the presumption that the accused party was innocent until proven guilty. It's the first set of civil and criminal laws that is recorded in its entirety. This was at least 200 years before Moses was even born, depending on whose estimate of Moses' birth you're using.

And the fact is that while they were written on multiple tablets, they were still written before the Ten Commandments. That's just the timeline, dude. Hammuarbi came before Moses, ergo Hammurabi Code came before Ten Commandments, upon which many of Commandments are based on ancient Babylonian, Sumerian, Egyptian, and Assyrian law.

And if you're saying that somehow the Ten Commandments is a moral law or guide, to that I would also say that the account of Moses getting the Ten Commandments as told in the King James Bible, were written at least 1800 years before the King James Bible was published, as Aesop's morality tales. Again, which a lot of the "morality" on which the Bible is based.

Exactly, so to say that it wasn't until the Christian account of the Ten Commandments that society had no morality, or even a rule of law is complete and utter bullshit. Laws and morality existed long before King James had his guys put it in his version of the Bible -the version you use today. God did not hand morality or the rule of law to us; people did. "God" had nothing to do with it.

I'm not sure what you don't get about the fact that MOST MAJOR CIVILIZED societies had laws regarding their societies. What does that have to do with the Ten Commandments? Just because other societies had laws (shocker) doesn't mean the Ten Commandments had anything to do with other societies' laws.

And I'm not sure what you're on about other societies not having "morals" etc...I never presented that argument.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you don't get about the fact that MOST MAJOR CIVILIZED societies had laws regarding their societies.

Yes, and those were moral and criminal laws that were divined by people, not by some imaginary cloud being. That's my point. There's nothing special about The Ten Commandments...most of those Commandments were already laws in most civilized societies prior to Moses. Adding in things like "honor your father and mother" and "don't take the Lord's name in vain" aren't laws and never will be. "Recognizing the Sabbath"...not a law. Laws against adultery are antiquated and clearly not of anyone's concern today. That leaves crafting graven images, which isn't against any law; murder and theft, which are all against the law and have been since before the Ten Commandments; that leaves "Thou shalt not bear false witness"...and it's pretty obvious that lying is also not against the law (unless you do so in a court of law) so what exactly do the Ten Commandments add to the rule of law? Nothing. Only two-and-a-half of the Ten Commandments are actually "laws" as we know them today.

What does that have to do with the Ten Commandments? Just because other societies had laws (shocker) doesn't mean the Ten Commandments had anything to do with other societies' laws.

Ummm, again, many societies (including the Babylonians and Egyptians) had those laws before the Ten COmmandments. So the Ten Commandments didn't introduce anything new when it came to the rule of law. And only 2 1/2 of the Ten Commandments are actually laws today; thou shalt not steal, thou shalt not kill, thou shalt not bear false witness (in court).

And I'm not sure what you're on about other societies not having "morals" etc...I never presented that argument.

The problem lies with you Christians who are trying to represent that your moral authority is the singular and one and only. When the reality is that Christianity is just a cult of personality that managed to proliferate because of evangelizing. Otherwise, there wouldn't be Christianity today without the cult members evangelizing it.

"The Ten Commandments are what serves as the basis of our Laws!"

Only 2 1/2 of the 10 Commandments are actually laws.

I'm not sure what you don't get about the fact that MOST MAJOR CIVILIZED societies had laws regarding their societies.

Yes, and those were moral and criminal laws that were divined by people, not by some imaginary cloud being. That's my point. There's nothing special about The Ten Commandments...most of those Commandments were already laws in most civilized societies prior to Moses. Adding in things like "honor your father and mother" and "don't take the Lord's name in vain" aren't laws and never will be. "Recognizing the Sabbath"...not a law. Laws against adultery are antiquated and clearly not of anyone's concern today. That leaves crafting graven images, which isn't against any law; murder and theft, which are all against the law and have been since before the Ten Commandments; that leaves "Thou shalt not bear false witness"...and it's pretty obvious that lying is also not against the law (unless you do so in a court of law) so what exactly do the Ten Commandments add to the rule of law? Nothing. Only two-and-a-half of the Ten Commandments are actually "laws" as we know them today.

What does that have to do with the Ten Commandments? Just because other societies had laws (shocker) doesn't mean the Ten Commandments had anything to do with other societies' laws.

Ummm, again, many societies (including the Babylonians and Egyptians) had those laws before the Ten COmmandments. So the Ten Commandments didn't introduce anything new when it came to the rule of law. And only 2 1/2 of the Ten Commandments are actually laws today; thou shalt not steal, thou shalt not kill, thou shalt not bear false witness (in court).

The problem lies with you Christians who are trying to represent that your moral authority is the singular and one and only. When the reality is that Christianity is just a cult of personality that managed to proliferate because of evangelizing. Otherwise, there wouldn't be Christianity today without the cult members evangelizing it.

The Ten Commandments were written for the Jews at the time. It was a set of laws that they were times abide by. Those laws are still followed today by Jews, Christians etc. There are other laws followed by Christians that Jews don't follow and vice versa. Some things that Jews may consider immoral (eating pork, for example) is not considered immoral by Christians because Christ added to the previous set of laws that were established by the Ten Commandments.

So of course there are things that wouldn't be considered moral by one society to another. Your point makes zero sense...it's a straw argument based on little knowledge of history and religions.

The Ten Commandments were written for the Jews at the time. It was a set of laws that they were to abide by. Those laws are still followed today by Jews, Christians etc. There are other laws followed by Christians that Jews don't follow and vice versa. Some things that Jews may consider immoral (eating pork, for example) is not considered immoral by Christians because Christ added to the previous set of laws that were established by the Ten Commandments.

So of course there are things that wouldn't be considered moral by one society to another. Your point makes zero sense...it's a straw argument based on little knowledge of history and religions.

Au contraire, what's scary is that you people are permitted to vote.

Naw, you guys are in the minority... only 21% of the population owns guns, and only 3% of the population are the NRA NUTBAGS who arm themselves like the Zombies are coming.

We just need to get past your bullying and tantrums, and get laws even sensible gun owners would say, "Yeah, that makes sense."

Forum List

Back