Ukraine guerilla war

Otis Mayfield

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2021
As open as Ukraine is, it's perfect terrain for tanks and aircraft, unlike jungles and mountainous regions. Russia has lots of tanks and aircraft.

So, Ukraine is bound to lose and war with Russia.

I assume Ukraine will launch a guerilla war against Russian forces occupying Ukraine. Maybe even some operations in Russia itself. Blowing up trains. Sniping enemies, etc.

I assume Ukraine will have support of its people for such a guerilla conflict. They won't report on guerilla troop movements, and they'll hide guerillas.

Do you think Russia will have what it takes to counter such a guerilla conflict? Mass hangings of dozens of civilians? Slaughter of whole villages, etc?

How do you think a Ukrainian guerilla war would turn out?

Last edited:
Well, lets not forget that Russian separatists already act as a paramilitary force in the Crimean region that Russia has already occupied. I see more a civil war scenario, much like conservatives here support Trump slavishly and will fight for him no matter what actions he would take (including throwing out an election result that he lost) I think there are a percentage of Ukrainians who would do the same (although I'm guessing they are far less than the nationalists)

I don't think Russians would carry out harsh reprisals against civilians, they will instead target the leaders, intellectuals, and so on with assassination.

I think, that guerilla war in Ukraine or Russia herself is hardly possible, especially if Russia won't bite more than can chew. In the modern hi-tech world guerilla war isn't possible without significant and easy detectable support of another hi-tech state, which will cause actions against this state. I'm pretty sure, that Biden (or anybody else) don't want really massive cyber- and terroristic attacks in the USA.

I think, that guerilla war in Ukraine or Russia herself is hardly possible, especially if Russia won't bite more than can chew. In the modern hi-tech world guerilla war isn't possible without significant and easy detectable support of another hi-tech state, which will cause actions against this state. I'm pretty sure, that Biden (or anybody else) don't want really massive cyber- and terroristic attacks in the USA.

You don't think that Ukrainian guerillas who look like Russians and speak, some identically to Russians, couldn't infiltrate Russia and blow up some train tracks or oil wells?

There are lots of Ukrainian nationals living and working in Russia. They don't even have to cross the border.

You don't think that Ukrainian guerillas who look like Russians and speak, some identically to Russians, couldn't infiltrate Russia and blow up some train tracks or oil wells?

There are lots of Ukrainian nationals living and working in Russia. They don't even have to cross the border.
Yes, they live there. But in last ten years FSB prevented more than 700 terroristic acts, and few didn't. For example, in December they captured 106 terrorists from M.K.U.
Typical terroristic organisation, without really good support of a hi-tech state, can't hide itself from counter-terrorists.

Yes, they live there. But in last ten years FSB prevented more than 700 terroristic acts, and few didn't. For example, in December they captured 106 terrorists from M.K.U.
Typical terroristic organisation, without really good support of a hi-tech state, can't hide itself from counter-terrorists.

How could a high-tech state do anything to hide people from the FSB/KGB?

There are many ways. To hack KGB/FSB databases, to create fake identies, to supply terrorists with actual information, to give them encypted communication systems, etc...

Too complex.

Four Ukrainian guys, who look and talk like Russians, walking across the Russian border, buying some high explosives off the black market, taking the train to Siberia and blowing up some oil wells seems much easier and simpler.

Too complex.

Four Ukrainian guys, who look and talk like Russians, walking across the Russian border, buying some high explosives off the black market, taking the train to Siberia and blowing up some oil wells seems much easier and simpler.
First. Those guys must be under somebody's control, hired by SBU or somebody. If there are Russian infiltrators in SBU (and they are) - ok, FSB already have the information about them. It's not that easy to buy high explosives off the black market, especially in Russia. They started to search a seller - they are under FSB control. To came in train with high-explosives - it's the simplest way to be arrested by the transport police. The attack against even one well guarded oil well in Syberia... Ok, it's not the thing, that simple guys without really good training can do.
What is even more important - it will be a suicide mission and exchange four well-trained saboteurs for one oil well... Its just stupid.

First. Those guys must be under somebody's control, hired by SBU or somebody. If there are Russian infiltrators in SBU (and they are) - ok, FSB already have the information about them. It's not that easy to buy high explosives off the black market, especially in Russia. They started to search a seller - they are under FSB control. To came in train with high-explosives - it's the simplest way to be arrested by the transport police. The attack against even one well guarded oil well in Syberia... Ok, it's not the thing, that simple guys without really good training can do.
What is even more important - it will be a suicide mission and exchange four well-trained saboteurs for one oil well... Its just stupid.

A pipeline then.

Pipelines are easier to target than oilwells because they're so long.

Also, it would disrupt a huge section of Russia's economy.

Depends on if the MIC thinks there's money to be made or not

A pipeline then.

Pipelines are easier to target than oilwells because they're so long.

Also, it would disrupt a huge section of Russia's economy.
It's quite difficult, too.
But the first question is the question of the motivation. Why those guys decided not to join Army and actually kill the Russian invaders and pro-Russian separatist? And why Ukrainian state (or it's secret services) decided to attack Russian pipelines, and do not blast their own nuclear plants? 15 Chernobyls is a quite nice deterrence factor, isn't it?

As open as Ukraine is, it's perfect for tanks and aircraft. Unlike jungles and mountainous regions. Russia has lots of tanks and aircraft.

So, Ukraine is bound to lose and war with Russia.

I assume Ukraine will launch a guerilla war against Russian forces occupying Ukraine. Maybe even some operations in Russia itself. Blowing up trains. Sniping enemies, etc.

I assume Ukraine will have support of its people for such a guerilla conflict. They won't report on guerilla troop movements, and they'll hide guerillas.

Do you think Russia will have what it takes to counter such a guerilla conflict? Mass hangings of dozens of civilians? Slaughter of whole villages, etc?

How do you think a Ukrainian guerilla war would turn out?
I don't know. But it is a tactic/strategy, I would use. It is old, dating back to Sun Tzu, and has been effective. I wish them luck.

It's quite difficult, too.
But the first question is the question of the motivation. Why those guys decided not to join Army and actually kill the Russian invaders and pro-Russian separatist? And why Ukrainian state (or it's secret services) decided to attack Russian pipelines, and do not blast their own nuclear plants? 15 Chernobyls is a quite nice deterrence factor, isn't it?

Are you Russian?

Forum List

Back