UN Calls for End to Islamos Sexually Mutilating Women by 2030

The muslim men are always accused of forcing their daughter's to have the procedure performed.

But in reality it's the women who make the surgery arrangements and insist their daughter be circumcised. ..... :cool:

Who is the head of the household in a Muslim family- the husbands or the wives?

Why do you want to blame this on women?
Syriusly, you're letting yourself build a Muslim boogey-man here who doesn't exist. Muslim tradition SUCKS when it comes to treatment of women, but the women are complicit in this cultural tradition.

Female circumcision is not limited to Muslims.

Sunni claims that women are the ones responsible for having their daughters circumcised. So I asked who is the head of the household- the husband or the wife.

And why he wants to blame women for this sick tradition.
There is a group of Somali immigrants here and this practice has been discussed quite a bit. I know it isn't just Muslim's, I shouldn't have put it that way. I was shocked to learn a lot of women agree with it, and insist on it for their daughters, as Sunni says. Now, if the women said NO, maybe the men WOULD insist, and once the second generation in America gets to the age, it may well be a different thing, and I hope it will be.

I once talked to a Somali woman about female circumcision. (99.9% of Somali girls have the procedure performed on them)

She said her father didn't want her and her sister to have the surgery. So her mother waited until he was at work one day, and took the daughter's to the doctor and had it done.

Like I said, it's the women who insist their daughters have the surgery. In fact, mother's who live in western countries, will schedule a vacation with their children and go back to their country of origin to visit relatives. And while there have the surgery performed.

Happens all of the time. ...... :cool:

Isn't it worthwhile to try and change such an awful practice? Maybe the UN can make a big difference, and shouldn't they at least try?

I am not blaming anyone.

I'm just stating the facts from personal experience and conversations.

And the fact is, in cultures that practice female circumcision, no self respecting mother would not have the surgery performed on her daughter. It would be unthinkable.

Because the whole community would look down on the family. And the daughter would be ostracized and have trouble finding a marriage partner. ...... :cool:

Can't foreign countries ever evolve into the modern world on such basic issues?

The United Nations in February 2016 has taken swift and firm action, asking Muslims to stop sexually mutilating women by 2030. No doubt Muslims will not add to the 200 million women alive today who have been mutilated now.

Aloha Snackbar!

International Day of Zero Tolerance for Female Genital Mutilation, 6 February
"The UN Calls for".....That carries as much weight as Thoroughbred race horse under a 10 pound bug Boy
Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board - Aqueduct Weight

The United Nations in February 2016 has taken swift and firm action, asking Muslims to stop sexually mutilating women by 2030. No doubt Muslims will not add to the 200 million women alive today who have been mutilated now.

Aloha Snackbar!

To my knowledge female circumcision is not religious ritual. It is a cultural practice.
The theory is that a woman who is circumsized will not feel pleasure during sex and thus will be less likely to cheat on her husband.
In some middle Eastern and South Asian Cultures, a woman is is viewed as "promiscuous" ( their perception on this is archaic) can and does bring shame to her family.
Western cultures view this as barbaric.

Isn't it worthwhile to try and change such an awful practice? Maybe the UN can make a big difference, and shouldn't they at least try?
What makes it the UN's, or anyone else's business, what people do in their own country?

Western people have a terrible habit of telling other people how to live and what's good for them. They have been doing it since the time of Columbus discovered the New World.

The British, French, Dutch, Italians, Germans, and later the American's, colonized the almost the entire globe, and told the people living there, "you don't know shit, we know everything......be like us or we'll kill you".

And that colonial mindset still permeates the Western brain. ..... :cool:

You do realize that many women in those countries believe any woman who doesn't have that clitorectomy is unclean, a whore? Including themselves if they haven't had one.
It's never had any purpose except to keep a woman from straying--(Jesus, these Muslims are so paranoid about their women jumping the fence!) and it's truly sad, but when you make it illegal, as it is in the U.S., women will take their daughters to practitioners in third world countries to perform them or take them to do-it-yourself butchers who make it more dangerous.
My heart goes out to women in such societies, but the U.N. had best change the women's minds first, before outlawing the practice.
At the end of the day anything can be outlawed. The issue then is enforcement.
Who from the UN is going to enforce any such resolution? Do you see the possibility of anything but remote of such enforcement?
The people subject here are not of civilized modern societies

What makes it the UN's, or anyone else's business, what people do in their own country?

Western people have a terrible habit of telling other people how to live and what's good for them. They have been doing it since the time of Columbus discovered the New World.

The British, French, Dutch, Italians, Germans, and later the American's, colonized the almost the entire globe, and told the people living there, "you don't know shit, we know everything......be like us or we'll kill you".

I'm not so certain it is "western" nations touting this.
BTW, if you live in a western nation, you are subject to assimilating to the customs and culture of the nation you call home.
By that, if you say lived in France, you'd be expected to learn their language and abide by their customs and traditions.
THat's how it works. That is the concept of the sovereign nation.

I once talked to a Somali woman about female circumcision. (99.9% of Somali girls have the procedure performed on them)

She said her father didn't want her and her sister to have the surgery. So her mother waited until he was at work one day, and took the daughter's to the doctor and had it done.

Like I said, it's the women who insist their daughters have the surgery. In fact, mother's who live in western countries, will schedule a vacation with their children and go back to their country of origin to visit relatives. And while there have the surgery performed.

No...Because the effort is futile.
Now, if people of a culture that decide to immigrate to a nation where said practice is illegal, that is another story.
The UN has no business trying to "save people from themselves".

The muslim men are always accused of forcing their daughter's to have the procedure performed.

But in reality it's the women who make the surgery arrangements and insist their daughter be circumcised. ..... :cool:
Female circumcision is not a religious practice. It is cultural.

No...Because the effort is futile.
Now, if people of a culture that decide to immigrate to a nation where said practice is illegal, that is another story.
The UN has no business trying to "save people from themselves".

It's better than ignoring the problem.

You do realize that many women in those countries believe any woman who doesn't have that clitorectomy is unclean, a whore? Including themselves if they haven't had one.
It's never had any purpose except to keep a woman from straying--(Jesus, these Muslims are so paranoid about their women jumping the fence!) and it's truly sad, but when you make it illegal, as it is in the U.S., women will take their daughters to practitioners in third world countries to perform them or take them to do-it-yourself butchers who make it more dangerous.
My heart goes out to women in such societies, but the U.N. had best change the women's minds first, before outlawing the practice.
At the end of the day anything can be outlawed. The issue then is enforcement.
Who from the UN is going to enforce any such resolution? Do you see the possibility of anything but remote of such enforcement?
The people subject here are not of civilized modern societies

Who knows what the world will look like in 2030?

Isn't the whole point of the UN that it isn't just "Western people?" Apparently, more than just Westerners agree this is not a good practice.

Aloha Snackbar!

To my knowledge female circumcision is not religious ritual. It is a cultural practice.
The theory is that a woman who is circumsized will not feel pleasure during sex and thus will be less likely to cheat on her husband.
In some middle Eastern and South Asian Cultures, a woman is is viewed as "promiscuous" ( their perception on this is archaic) can and does bring shame to her family.
Western cultures view this as barbaric.
Islamic practice.

Can't foreign countries ever evolve into the modern world on such basic issues?
Cultural evolution is a matter of perception.

The muslim countries think the western nations are barbaric because they allow legalized abortion. In their view it's basically murdering innocent babies.

America sentences convicted murderers to death and carries out executions. European's think we are savages for executing criminals.

The Hindu's of India do not eat animals. They think that meat eating American people are basically cannibals.

So who gets to determine and dictate what is the "modern world"? ...... :cool:

Forum List

Back