UN: Obama’s Drone Program Violates International Law

Freewill

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2011
Do we really trust a guy that didn't tell us the truth about HIS signature legislation?

Do we really trust an agency that didn't give us ample warning about 9/11 or Benghazi?

When in the hell did the law change that we could kill folks posing no direct threat or maybe no threat at all? We don't know if they were a threat or not because the rule of law was never applied. We have to hear this from foreign news services which should have not axe to grind.

The Guardian reported:

UN: Obama?s Drone Program Violates International Law | The Gateway Pundit

A United Nations investigation has so far identified 33 drone strikes around the world that have resulted in civilian casualties and may have violated international humanitarian law.

The report by the UN’s special rapporteur on human rights and counter-terrorism, Ben Emmerson QC, calls on the US to declassify information about operations co-ordinated by the CIA and clarify its positon on the legality of unmanned aerial attacks.

Published ahead of a debate on the use of remotely piloted aircraft, at the UN general assembly in New York next Friday, the 22-page document examines incidents in Afghanistan, Yemen, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Pakistan and Gaza.

It has been published to coincide with a related report released earlier on Thursday by Professor Christof Heyns, the UN’s special rapporteur on extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions, which warned that the technology was being misused as a form of “global policing”.

Emmerson, who travelled to Islamabad for his investigation, said the Pakistan ministry of foreign affairs has records of as many as 330 drone strikes in the country’s north-western tribal areas since 2004. Up to 2,200 people have been killed – of whom at least 400 were civilians – according to the Pakistan government.

In Yemen, Emmerson’s report says that as many as 58 civilians are thought to have been killed in attacks by UAVs (unmanned aerial vehicles). “While the fact that civilians have been killed or injured does not necessarily point to a violation of international humanitarian law, it undoubtedly raises issues of accountability and transparency,” the study notes.

Interesting------but there is no such thing as international law.

Interesting------but there is no such thing as international law.
Only in so far as it applies to the US and Israel.

treaties are not international law.

there is no book of international law statutes
there is no international court to enforce international law

international law is: the guy with the most guns wins.

Last edited:
Good, I'm glad that we are in violation of "international" law (whatever the hell that is).

If it means that we keep knocking off Al Quadia, I hope we get found guilty too. Can't wait for that "law" to be enforced upon us - maybe the USA will get prison time? Guess our b**** is going to be some other arrested country like Kurdistan? (wink)

Plus, the US can work on it's physique.

Last edited:

The OP is a liar and completely misrepresents the events at the UN, where that organization made no determination that the drone programs ‘violate’ international law.

The two reports concerning the issue were in the context of an initial debate by member states investigating the potential for violations of international law; again, there was no final resolution by the UN that the drone programs in fact violated international law. Indeed, one report acknowledged the fact that such a conclusion could not be reached:

In his opening remarks to the UN debate, Heyns said "drones are here to stay". He argued that it was hard to make a case that unmanned aircraft were inherently illegal: "It is difficult to suggest that a weapon system is unlawful because a pilot is not on board."

But he added that drones were easy to deploy across international borders, often secretly. "So it is my view that although they are not illegal, they do pose a challenge, particularly as they are used often in secret, raising accountability issues."

US defends drone strikes as 'necessary and just' in face of UN criticism | World news | theguardian.com

Fuck international law. Drop drones on all those terrorists. It's one of the rare programs that Obama has pursued that I agree with.

The thread title says:

but the content of the 'supporting' article says:

"A United Nations investigation has so far identified 33 drone strikes around the world that have resulted in civilian casualties and may have violated international humanitarian law....

and

“While the fact that civilians have been killed or injured does not necessarily point to a violation of international humanitarian law, it undoubtedly raises issues of accountability and transparency,” the study notes."

Why is it so hard for posters to be honest on this forum?

So do airstrikes and firing missiles into other nations.

What's the difference? We have been using drones of 60 years.

Fuck international law. Drop drones on all those terrorists. It's one of the rare programs that Obama has pursued that I agree with.

Like we have been dropping bombs and missiles on terrorist for the past 15 years. What is the difference?

Oh'yes we're not risking pilots and special forces to do it.

The thread title says:

"A United Nations investigation has so far identified 33 drone strikes around the world that have resulted in civilian casualties and may have violated international humanitarian law....

and

“While the fact that civilians have been killed or injured does not necessarily point to a violation of international humanitarian law, it undoubtedly raises issues of accountability and transparency,” the study notes."

Sorry, "The Guardian" is not a definitive source for such a matter.

Yes, the OP used the source - it does not mean that the source is correct.

Incidentally, I can say that another country "violated" international law, but what kind of admonishment is that? Who makes that particular call?

A few questions...

What is the difference between dropping bombs from 10,000 feet from a airplane(manned) and using a drone by remote control from 25 feet?

Both are going to kill people. You're just against technology as you're the anti-tech and science party.

Last edited:

Like we have been dropping bombs and missiles on terrorist for the past 15 years. What is the difference?

Oh'yes we're not risking pilots and special forces to do it.

... and?

I think it's effing awesome!

I agree with you ;) Sadly the republicans have to score political points with our troops lives. See they believe every plane needs a pilot to be blown out of the sky with.

Last edited:
The thread title says:

and

Incidentally, I can say that another country "violated" international law, but what kind of admonishment is that? Who makes that particular call?

The Hague, Netherlands. Where the World Court is.

International law applies only to the weak, never the strong. That's life. Drone away.

International law applies only to the weak, never the strong. That's life. Drone away.

And that is why the republican party supported shock and awe with airplanes sortie. You can't make this shit up.

I never thought that party would become pro terrorist.

Last edited:
The thread title says:

and

The Hague, Netherlands. Where the World Court is.

So are they going to ban all airstrikes?:eusa_pray:

Forum List

Back