'Uncaring' 911 dispatcher lectures drowning woman moments before she died

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Just...wow...

Police released disturbing audio of an Arkansas woman who called for help in the final moments of her life, drowning in her car, only to be met with mockery and disdain by the dispatcher.

Debbie Stevens, 47, was on her regular paper route in Fort Smith Saturday, Aug. 24 when a flash flood swept up her car. Panicking, she dialed 911.

"Please help me, I don't want to die!", Stevens begs on the call that lasted 22 minutes. "I can't swim! I'm scared! I'm going to drown!"

The dispatcher, Donna Reneau, who was working her final shift after giving her notice two weeks earlier according to the Fort Smith Police Department, replied flippantly telling her authorities will get there when they get there and that she's not going to die, at one point telling her to "shut up."

Just...wow...

Police released disturbing audio of an Arkansas woman who called for help in the final moments of her life, drowning in her car, only to be met with mockery and disdain by the dispatcher.

Debbie Stevens, 47, was on her regular paper route in Fort Smith Saturday, Aug. 24 when a flash flood swept up her car. Panicking, she dialed 911.

"Please help me, I don't want to die!", Stevens begs on the call that lasted 22 minutes. "I can't swim! I'm scared! I'm going to drown!"

The dispatcher, Donna Reneau, who was working her final shift after giving her notice two weeks earlier according to the Fort Smith Police Department, replied flippantly telling her authorities will get there when they get there and that she's not going to die, at one point telling her to "shut up."
Sounds like the HR department at my place.

th

Donna Reaneau...as in NO, I don't give a damn. No...stop bothering me.
What a sweet angel of mercy this woman is.

Just remember, this type of callous disregard for life will be in your future if you ever have Nationalized Healthcare.

It happened to be the womans last day at work, her last call as it were. Disturbing attitude, regardless as to whether she could do something or not, at least show some compassion. It might not always be easy, but...damn.

What I would do I presume, is try and climb onto the hood of my car if possible, and pray I was around trees or something I could climb. A sad way to pass.

I didn't hear anything uncaring. She should of got out of the car and stood on top. I heard her at 22 mins as well.

Perhaps you can tell me the min on the video of her being rude.

Last edited:
...yes, I don't get this at all ......of course you have a ''lot'' of people in jobs they are not good at/qualified for/etc

Just remember, this type of callous disregard for life will be in your future if you ever have Nationalized Healthcare.

It happened to be the womans last day at work, her last call as it were. Disturbing attitude, regardless as to whether she could do something or not, at least show some compassion. It might not always be easy, but...damn.

What I would do I presume, is try and climb onto the hood of my car if possible, and pray I was around trees or something I could climb. A sad way to pass.

Can you tell me the min. she was rude on the video that you posted?

And in fact it has nothing to do with nationalized healthcare.

I didn't hear anything uncaring. She should of got out of the car and stood on top. I heard her at 22 mins as well.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????

I can see both sides. Based on the hyped up headline, I expecting to hear some "well serves you right!" and all kinds of attitude. I was expecting to hear a voice that sounded like "Sucks to be you! SOL!"

She wasn't like that.

However, she did lecture her on seeing the water can crap, and you just simply don't do that. And this right here, is why you don't.

When you are facing imminent death, can't swim, are scared out of your wits and out of desperation call 911, would you want this told to you or someone you love?

Stevens pleaded for help and prayer but received a lecture: "Well this will teach you, next time don't drive in the water," Reneau responds. "I don't see how you didn't see it, you had to go right over it, so."

I didn't hear anything uncaring.
:icon_rolleyes: You have all the compassion of a stump. If telling someone who is deathly afraid of drowning to shut up
(after she berated her for driving into water, as if it was intentional) is "compassionate" to you then you are an even bigger sack of shit then I previously thought. And that's going some.

Here is a sample of Donna Reneau's "compassion" to a woman who was moments away from death, “A lot of people aren’t going to put themselves in danger just because you put yourself in danger.” Not uncaring? Fuuuck you!
It takes a real piece of human garbage to treat another human this way in her moment of true need and even a bigger a-hole to take the dispatcher's side.

Last edited:

I can see both sides. Based on the hyped up headline, I expecting to hear some "well serves you right!" and all kinds of attitude. I was expecting to hear a voice that sounded like "Sucks to be you! SOL!"

She wasn't like that.

However, she did lecture her on seeing the water can crap, and you just simply don't do that. And this right here, is why you don't.

Also, it's a waste of breath. Do or say something positive/helpful, or just remain silent/try your best to comfort her.

She wasn't like that.

Also, it's a waste of breath. Do or say something positive/helpful, or just remain silent/try your best to comfort her.

Yeah, agreed. Instead of lecturing her, she could have been saying "Get out, and climb onto the top of your car".

I didn't hear anything uncaring.
:icon_rolleyes: You have all the compassion of a stump. If telling someone who is deathly afraid of drowning to shut up
(after she berated her for driving into water, as if it was intentional) is "compassionate" to you then you are an even bigger sack of shit then I previously thought. And that's going some.

Here is a sample of Donna Reneau's "compassion" to a woman who was moments away from death, “A lot of people aren’t going to put themselves in danger just because you put yourself in danger.”
It takes a real piece of human garbage to treat another human this way in her moment of true need and even a bigger a-hole to take the dispatcher's side.

Tell me the min of the video in the OP if you can?

She wasn't like that.

Yeah, agreed. Instead of lecturing her, she could have been saying "Get out, and climb onto the top of your car".

She was 47 years old, a person should have a brain at that age. Again can you tell me the min of the rude 911 operator. I must of missed it?

When you are facing imminent death, can't swim, are scared out of your wits and out of desperation call 911, would you want this told to you or someone you love?

Stevens pleaded for help and prayer but received a lecture: "Well this will teach you, next time don't drive in the water," Reneau responds. "I don't see how you didn't see it, you had to go right over it, so."

She didn't say that, or tell me the min.?

Tell me the min of the video in the OP if you can?
The minute of what exactly? I only have transcripts of this call not wanting to hear this poor frightened woman's last minutes on earth and the way this heartless bitch berated and abused her in her moment of dire need; her very last moments ever.

What the fuck is wrong with you?

She was 47 years old, a person should have a brain at that age. Again can you tell me the min of the rude 911 operator. I must of missed it?
The 911 operator is there to help save her life. Not to lecture or demean her. You must have suffered through a horrible, horrible life that you can't see the problem here.

Forum List

Back