Unemployment down to 3.9%

Good news for America. Lowest since 2000.

160k new jobs. Good news.

Happy Friday!

No, it's not good news actually.

1) Trump said many times on the campaign trail that the U-3 (the official unemployment rate) is 'bogus'. And he was dead right (and 'yes'...it was still 'bogus' under Obama - I am not a Dem or a Rep).

Trump Says the Unemployment Rate Is Bogus -- and His Labor Pick Puzder Agrees

So the drop in the U-3 means nothing.

2) Plus, even if you do care about the U-3? It is NOT based on the Establishment Survey (the number in the OP). The U-3 is based on the Household Survey. And that survey showed only 3,000 more people employed in April.

The only reason the U-3 dropped was because 236,000 people left the labor force in April.

Employment Situation Summary Table A. Household data, seasonally adjusted

3) A FAR better measurement of the employment situation is the Employment-Population ratio. And that went down last month (down is bad).

Bureau of Labor Statistics Data

So, the employment picture for April actually got a little worse...not better.

ALWAYS look beyond the headlines.

Last edited:
Unemployment down to 3.9%, good
Wage growth 2.6%, a little soft New jobs 164K, a little soft Humming along, but we need better numbers. The clock is ticking.
Ticking for what?
For both the GOP politically and the stock market.

The tax cuts were a big bet, and the deficit has exploded. If growth doesn't start paying for it soon, it won't be good news for Trump or his party.

The numbers need to improve by late summer, early fall. The market won't go sideways forever.

Ticking for that.

Wage growth 2.6%, a little soft
New jobs 164K, a little soft

Humming along, but we need better numbers. The clock is ticking.

Gee, would have been nice if the Boards of directors would have given everyone a raise instead of buying back their stock….

The numbers are good, Trump will claim his leadership is the reason, and yet we haven't heard him take responsibility for the stock market's recent losses.

The economy has been on the mend since 2010, yet the chaos in The District is ominous and the tax fraud written by Ryan&Co, and signed by Trump, has the potential to create inflation; as inflation rises interest rates will grow, leading to more labor unrest (hear the teachers) and create enough fear to develop into a recession.

Thank you , were you trying to hide the graft?

or maybe this:
Despite the ultra-tight jobs market, wages for American workers still aren’t rising rapidly. Hourly pay rose 0.1% to $26.84, the government said Friday.

The 12-month increase in pay was flat at 2.6% for the third month in a row. The Federal Reserve is likely to view the stable rate of pay as a sign of support for its cautious strategy of raising U.S. interest rates.

I guess the tax cut is not trickling down.

Thank you , were you trying to hide the graft?

or maybe this:
Despite the ultra-tight jobs market, wages for American workers still aren’t rising rapidly. Hourly pay rose 0.1% to $26.84, the government said Friday.

The 12-month increase in pay was flat at 2.6% for the third month in a row. The Federal Reserve is likely to view the stable rate of pay as a sign of support for its cautious strategy of raising U.S. interest rates.

I guess the tax cut is not trickling down.
Um, yes, I pointed out in my original OP that wage growth and job growth were both soft.

I realize you're ideologically obligated to downplay all economic news, just as a hardcore rightwinger would be if a Democrat were in office.

I'm under no such obligation. I get to be honest.

Please see posts 2 and 6.

Calm down, fer fuck's sake.

Those are the liberal welfare queens that will never look for a job. Take the welfare away, FORCE them to get a job, see how the lib fucks would like that?

Happy Friday!
This has been a trend for quite awhile:
slack.jpg

But every silver lining has a cloud. If unemployment drops too low inflation and inefficiency will increase.

The labor market will reach a point where each additional job added does not create enough productivity to cover its cost, making every successive job after that point inefficient; this is the output gap, often called the slack in the labor market.

Inflation is generally a good thing. However, across certain industries wage inflation above the natural pace of inflation is a bad thing. Sectors such as industrials and consumer discretionary struggle with wage inflation and small-cap firms don't have the margins to cope with rising wages.

Read more: The Downside of Low Unemployment | Investopedia The Downside of Low Unemployment
Follow us: Investopedia on Facebook

Happy Friday!
Yeah only after nearly 450,000 gave up looking for work.

JAN. 11, 2017 press conference
TRUMP: There will be a major border tax on these companies that are leaving and getting away with murder. And if our politicians had what it takes, they would have done this years ago. And you’d have millions more workers right now in the United States that are — 96 million really wanting a job and they can’t get. You know that story. The real number — that’s the real number.

When Obama was president that would have been a LOT soft!!!

June 5, 2015
RUSH: From the moment Obama did his Porkulus, we needed 500,000 jobs a month just to stay even, and a little more than 500,000 jobs a month in order to grow the economy. And we haven't come close to 500,000 jobs in a month being created.
Not even close!

Forum List

Back