Unemployment up because more people are looking for work.

If you dont need to work why would you all of a sudden start?
Because you want one. I didn't need a job when I was in high school...I worked for extra pocket money. My mother didn't need to work, she took a job to get out of the house and pick up some extra money.

Is this really an unusual concept?

It is in my mind.
I dont have to work and I sure as hell wont be looking for a job.
But when I did I looked none stop until I found one.
The number of people in your scenario are miniscule.
Out of 8 million unemployed, 2.5 million are reentrants to the labor force. There's no way to measure "need", but clearly these people were not working or trying to work and now are looking. That hardly seems miniscule.

There are over 94 million not in the workforce.
Actually it's down to 93.5 million not in the labor force. But those are people who aren't trying to work. 88 million don't want to work, and the others just aren't doing anything about work. That tells us nothing as to whether there are jobs or not.

I'd say it's more likely that their unemployment benefits ran out.

Because you want one. I didn't need a job when I was in high school...I worked for extra pocket money. My mother didn't need to work, she took a job to get out of the house and pick up some extra money.

It is in my mind.
Out of 8 million unemployed, 2.5 million are reentrants to the labor force. There's no way to measure "need", but clearly these people were not working or trying to work and now are looking. That hardly seems miniscule.

Actually it's down to 93.5 million not in the labor force. But those are people who aren't trying to work. 88 million don't want to work, and the others just aren't doing anything about work. That tells us nothing as to whether there are jobs or not.

Why? You do understand that eligibility or receipt of benefits has never been used by the U.S. to categorize the labor force?

Chinese market crashed....... ours is manipulated so it indicates nothing more than the bankers arent rdy to steal your money yet with massive shorts

good so you'll make millions following them when they short the market??
I dont do shorts

no confidence that you have a clue what you are talking about!!
Not at all.......I invest,,,,,not gamble
shortin
Chinese market crashed....... ours is manipulated so it indicates nothing more than the bankers arent rdy to steal your money yet with massive shorts

good so you'll make millions following them when they short the market??
I dont do shorts

no confidence that you have a clue what you are talking about!!
Not at all.......I invest,,,,,not gamble

It is in my mind.

Why? You do understand that eligibility or receipt of benefits has never been used by the U.S. to categorize the labor force?

So you're telling me people collecting unemployment really have jobs?

No. How could you get that from my post?

If they're left out of the work force report it would seem thats the case.

If you dont need to work why would you all of a sudden start?

It is in my mind.

Just typical of the conservative mind: If the job news is obviously good, they work really hard to make it look bad. Always.
Pinqy, your explanation of unemployment and employment numbers is cogent. It's just that the attacks on your explanations are painfully ignorant. Really, it must hurt to be that ignorant.

It is in my mind.

Just typical of the conservative mind: If the job news is obviously good, they work really hard to make it look bad. Always.
Pinqy, your explanation of unemployment and employment numbers is cogent. It's just that the attacks on your explanations are painfully ignorant. Really, it must hurt to be that ignorant.

Yeah right....
Personally I could give a shit since I have no need for a job.
The thing I see is all you fools crying for a 15 buck min wage and that reflects on the quality of the jobs Barry has created.....poor people jobs.
And since things are so rosy I dont want to hear a peep out of you clowns about jobs.
Can I count on you to shut your pie hole about lack of good jobs from here on out...I highly doubt it.

Proof that there is nothing that can be said that a CON$ervoFascist can't twist into meaninglessness!

please explain. You're baffling me. If those collecting benefits were left out of the report (and where'd you get that idea?) then how would that be saying they are employed?

It's simple....those age 16 and older not in the military, prison, or an institution are the adult civilian noninstitutional population. Those who are working are employed, those available and looking for work (regardless of whether they've ever received benefits) are unemployed, and those not working or available and looking are "not in the labor force (the 93 million)"

U.S. Gains 215K Jobs In March, Unemployment Rises To 5 Pct.

That is the fifth time in the past six months that the proportion of Americans working or looking for work has increased, an encouraging trend after that figure fell to four-decade lows last year.

The increase in the work force "has been truly astounding - the strongest in over two decades, suggesting that the job market is finally pulling discouraged workers off the sidelines," said James Marple, an economist at TD Economics.

Americans appear to be pocketing much of their savings from lower gas prices rather than spending them. The savings rate rose to 5.4 percent in February, the highest in a year.

-------------------------------------
Democrat policies. Good for the country.

Translation~ they ran out of 99 weeks unemployment and their Mommy and Daddy are finally tired of them scrounging off of them.

Translation~ they ran out of 99 weeks unemployment and their Mommy and Daddy are finally tired of them scrounging off of them.
Translation~ CON$ are too stupid to know the 99 weeks ended years ago, and even when it was available it was not in all states.

Proof that there is nothing that can be said that a CON$ervoFascist can't twist into meaninglessness!

Only slackers worry about shit like this.

please explain. You're baffling me. If those collecting benefits were left out of the report (and where'd you get that idea?) then how would that be saying they are employed?

It's simple....those age 16 and older not in the military, prison, or an institution are the adult civilian noninstitutional population. Those who are working are employed, those available and looking for work (regardless of whether they've ever received benefits) are unemployed, and those not working or available and looking are "not in the labor force (the 93 million)"

Your quote....
"Why? You do understand that eligibility or receipt of benefits has never been used by the U.S. to categorize the labor force?"

Your quote....
"Why? You do understand that eligibility or receipt of benefits has never been used by the U.S. to categorize the labor force?"
I know what I wrote. I don't understand how you think that means either people who receiving benefits aren't included at all or are somehow considered employed.

Simple for you. Even simple for an old fart econ guy like myself. But for herewegoagain, it just not mesh with the talking points he keeps reading in the bat shit crazy con web sites he frequents. His agenda is well known. Just do not expect logic out of him. Not in his makeup.
Boy is a waste of time. You pretty much know what he is going to say before he opens his mouth.
The problem, of course, is fairly obvious.
"The recovery that officially began in mid-2009 hasn’t arrived in most Americans’ paychecks. In 2010, the top 1 percent of U.S. families captured as much as 93 percent of the nation’s income growth, according to a March paper by Emmanuel Saez, a University of California at Berkeley economist who studied Internal Revenue Service data."

That leaves a whole 7% for the rest of the 99% of the population. Simple to see why wages are what they are.

Forum List

Back