Universal background checks

The last background check I went through was just before Christmas and I had to stay at the store for just over four hours to complete the check. That sucked big time. I wish my state did not require back ground checks at Gun Shows or that's the only place I would purchase firearms from now on.

for rifles, if you have purchased before and are on record, it goes pretty quick. pistols takes a few days. you can't go in anywhere and walk out with a pistol. you fill out the paperwork, it goes for review. If you are approved it goes to the permit division. they update your permit and calll you when it is ready. then you take the document ot the gun shop and can pick up the gun.
In your state.
In mine, I wait 5-10 minutes for the check and I walk out w/ the gun, regardless of kind.

yea, my state sucks. at least the gun laws do. but we still have plenty of gun violence, go figure. I guess the laws don't work

The last background check I went through was just before Christmas and I had to stay at the store for just over four hours to complete the check. That sucked big time. I wish my state did not require back ground checks at Gun Shows or that's the only place I would purchase firearms from now on.

for rifles, if you have purchased before and are on record, it goes pretty quick. pistols takes a few days. you can't go in anywhere and walk out with a pistol. you fill out the paperwork, it goes for review. If you are approved it goes to the permit division. they update your permit and calll you when it is ready. then you take the document ot the gun shop and can pick up the gun.

Not here, when I decided what pistol I wanted I called a local dealer to see if they had it in stock, went in the following day gave them my drivers license and SSN, 20 minutes later I walked out with a new pistol...

Not here, when I decided what pistol I wanted I called a local dealer to see if they had it in stock, went in the following day gave them my drivers license and SSN, 20 minutes later I walked out with a new pistol...

But I live in a state where the capitol resides in Moscow on the Hudson. Since Cuomo was elected they have renamed the state capitol the Kremlin.

Your response here indicates that you have abandoned all the points you tried to make.
Thank you.
No, my response indicated that you didn't bother to read what I posted...
I did. And that's exactly why I responded as I did.
But, you've conceded the points, so thee's no need to go back.
:dunno:

Nope. I realized trying to throw facts at you was a waste of time so I tried getting you to explain yourself.

It seems that both tactics have failed so I'm done with you.

But I live in a state where the capitol resides in Moscow on the Hudson. Since Cuomo was elected they have renamed the state capitol the Kremlin.

I also live in NY.

With a pistol permit you can have the gun the same day, it just requires a fax machine (so they can fax the information to add it to your permit and get confirmation from the county). And I can walk out with a long gun the same day no problem. Did it not that long ago actually.

No, my response indicated that you didn't bother to read what I posted...
Nope. I realized trying to throw facts at you was a waste of time....
You threw nothing at me other than two verifiably false statements and a "look it up yourself" link -- that is, you had nothing of substance to throw.
Good to see that you now realize such tactics are a waste of time.

I also live in NY.

With a pistol permit you can have the gun the same day, it just requires a fax machine (so they can fax the information to add it to your permit and get confirmation from the county). And I can walk out with a long gun the same day no problem. Did it not that long ago actually.

wrong, you have to go there in person. read the laws

Been thinking about these, above and beyond their unconstitutionality as a form of prior restraint.

Because there's no way for the state to show when a gun changed hands, the only way they can be effective is if we have universal gun registration.

Once I reached that conclusion, I realized that’s the plan.
In fact, it's been the plan since before background checks became federal law in 1993.

Give an inch, they take a mile. Don't give an inch.
I have no idea why you want to make it easy for felons and the insane to obtain weapons.
I have a very good idea that you have no idea what non-sequitur means, even though your response is a perfect example.
Three years of Latin in high school. You're 0-2.

You threw nothing at me other than two verifiably false statements and a "look it up yourself" link -- that is, you had nothing of substance to throw.

So two links to two articles from two reputable sources saying exactly what I am saying is not enough?

Got it. As I said, it's a waste of time.

I also live in NY.

wrong, you have to go there in person. read the laws

In my county (Steuben) you can get advance purchase stubs and walk out with the gun the same day.

http://www.steubencony.org/Files/Documents/countyclerk/new_pistol_permit_guideline.pdf

Last edited:

So two links to two articles from two reputable sources saying exactly what I am saying is not enough?

you have to show up in person, they have to check your photo id, and you have to sign your new permit in front of them. faxes arent accepted. No i don't waste my time digging up links for obvious trolls. go jack someone else around. got it.

you have to show up in person, they have to check your photo id, and you have to sign your new permit in front of them. faxes arent accepted.

See the other post.

No i don't waste my time digging up links for obvious trolls. go jack someone else around. got it.

I was talking to someone else.

I'm sorry that you do not like the fact that you did not bring anything substantive to the dicussion - but that's all on you.

you have to show up in person, they have to check your photo id, and you have to sign your new permit in front of them. faxes arent accepted.

See the other post.

No i don't waste my time digging up links for obvious trolls. go jack someone else around. got it.

I was talking to someone else.

and you have to do what? show up before hand in person to get them. they don't fax them to you .

There is a problem with criminals walking into gun shops and buying guns. But laws have been put in place that restrict what the authorities to the point where they can do nothing about it.
This is false. There are innumrable laws restricting who can purchase firearms from gun stores, the mosy obvious of which is the NICS. To say that the authorities can do nothing about criminals walking into gun stores and buying guns is dishonest at best,.

And the NRA was the one writing the legislation under the guise of protecting our rights. In reality they were protecting the gun manufacturers so they could sell guns to literally anyone with no consequences.
As noted before, gun manufacturers do not sell to individuals, and so your claim regarding the motivation of the NRA is, at best, false.

Now I doubt their intent was to put guns in the hands of criminals. But even when we see the results, they refuse any change.
Because, as we see, every time gun legislation is put in place, something else happens and the anti-gun side wants more legislation.
Thus, there is no reason for the NRA, or anyone, to give an inch, specially to legislation that does nothing to stop gun crime.

Regardless of what the legislation is, the gun lobby will fight it. And that is a recipe for failure.
Failure?
Clearly, because we have had so much success at stopping gun crime with the laws now in place, we should be happy to put more useless laws on the books that do nothing but limit the rights of the law-abiding.
Figthing such legislation is the only rational course of action.

Feel free to try to respond w/ something substantive.

Last edited:
Here's the problem....The far left loons have spoken and they are going all out...

DENVER -- Surrounded by the survivors and the families of victims from three of the most horrific mass murders in U.S. history, Democrats on Tuesday unveiled their blue print for comprehensive gun-control legislation.

In addition to often talked about measures such as universal background checks for all gun purchases and limiting high-capacity magazines to 10 rounds of ammunition, a new bill was promised -- one that would make gun owners, sellers and manufacturers strictly liable for the death and destruction caused by military style assault rifles.

Senate President John Morse, D-Colorado Springs, said his bill would ensure that in the future the manufacturers and sellers of assault weapons such as those used in Aurora and Sandy Hook will be held responsible for the events in civil court.

Colorado Dems Want Gunmakers Liable in Attacks | Military.com

So we should also charge Ford for some drunk driver??????

It's this kind of stupidity that hardens people against the anti-gun crowd......

Been thinking about these, above and beyond their unconstitutionality as a form of prior restraint.

Because there's no way for the state to show when a gun changed hands, the only way they can be effective is if we have universal gun registration.

Once I reached that conclusion, I realized that’s the plan.
In fact, it's been the plan since before background checks became federal law in 1993.

Give an inch, they take a mile. Don't give an inch.

I have no idea why you want to make it easy for felons and the insane to obtain weapons.

I have no idea why you think it anything the government can do will make it hard for anyone who doesn't care about the law to get guns.

I have a very good idea that you have no idea what non-sequitur means, even though your response is a perfect example.
Three years of Latin in high school. You're 0-2.

I took latin in high school, I still remember my teacher telling us that the only thing we would remember out of it was "Omnia Gallia est divisa in partes tres." That is not all I remember, but I have an exceptional memory.

Here's the problem....The far left loons have spoken and they are going all out...

DENVER -- Surrounded by the survivors and the families of victims from three of the most horrific mass murders in U.S. history, Democrats on Tuesday unveiled their blue print for comprehensive gun-control legislation.

In addition to often talked about measures such as universal background checks for all gun purchases and limiting high-capacity magazines to 10 rounds of ammunition, a new bill was promised -- one that would make gun owners, sellers and manufacturers strictly liable for the death and destruction caused by military style assault rifles.

Senate President John Morse, D-Colorado Springs, said his bill would ensure that in the future the manufacturers and sellers of assault weapons such as those used in Aurora and Sandy Hook will be held responsible for the events in civil court.

Colorado Dems Want Gunmakers Liable in Attacks | Military.com

So we should also charge Ford for some drunk driver??????

It's this kind of stupidity that hardens people against the anti-gun crowd......

these are the kind of attitudes that are crippling our economy. it is totally insane. what ever happened to personal reponsibility?

Forum List

Back