Up until 1913.

Jun 21, 2013
North Carolina
994214_152314848290400_1246916161_n_zps1851435f.jpg

Yep...so lets hear the arguments now...statists.

There was an income tax during the Civil War. Tariffs by the US govt.on imported goods was a tax on the American consumer.
The world of politics had another young player in the region and it was named the USofA. It costs money to throw your arms out into the world for control, and it has to come from some where.
Roads yes, all dirt, unless you lived in the city and it was paved with bricks and that was usually only the down town area.By the way, it was the truck freight hauling industry that wanted the interstate highway system. Even in Rome they made roads of stone for faster deployment of the military and for goods.
Yes the US also won the 1848 Opium War in which our govt forced China to buy opium by holding islands of theirs as ransom. Why? To deplete their gold reserve, so it's 9 wars they won. Did they include the 100 years Indian war in which they took their lands away from those that had lived there before, yes our Christian, God fearing ancestors were soo nice and humble in their pillage.

Railroads were built by private companies that the US loaned money to or they sold bonds, but it was not all done with their own money. Why?transportation of military and goods.

Last edited:
994214_152314848290400_1246916161_n_zps1851435f.jpg

Yep...so lets hear the arguments now...statists.

So what is you point? That we shouldn't have income or payroll taxes? If so, I agree. These taxes hamper the accumulation of wealth but give a free pass to those who already have it. The question is what to replace it with. Unless you want to disband the federal government, some revenue mechanism will still be needed. Would you favor a national sales tax instead?

• Banned
I favor disbanding the federal government for sure but seeing how that won't happen voluntarily...I would just privatize everything that needs done...I am not sure what it should be replaced with...national sales tax hurts low income people like myself.

I favor disbanding the federal government for sure but seeing how that won't happen voluntarily...I would just privatize everything that needs done...I am not sure what it should be replaced with...national sales tax hurts low income people like myself.

W privatized everything possible in the Iraq war, except the troops. How did that work out for you. The troops complained constantly about lack of equipment which lead to injuries and deaths. Blackwater mercenaries caused all kinds of havoc with the locals, and the Iraq's revolted over the use of American contractors to rebuild their country.

You cannot disband the federal government in a nation of 300 million people. Only an idiot would think it possible.

No, the federal government cannot be disbanded nor should it be, but most of its functions can be moved to the states who can decide how to work things on their own and what programs they should or should not have.

W privatized everything possible in the Iraq war, except the troops. How did that work out for you. The troops complained constantly about lack of equipment which lead to injuries and deaths. Blackwater mercenaries caused all kinds of havoc with the locals, and the Iraq's revolted over the use of American contractors to rebuild their country.

You cannot disband the federal government in a nation of 300 million people. Only an idiot would think it possible.

The whole idea of states running their governments autonomously as though they were mini-countries may have worked when there were only 13 in the union, the population was 2.5 million and it took 5 days to travel from one state to another but the concept nowadays is not only inefficient, it's preposterous.

The United States is one country and should be governed as such.

There also needs to be federal standards for employment law, workers' rights, environmental legislation, education standards, economic matters, and minority rights so that citizens and corporations are not subject to 51 sets of environmental regulations, 51 different employment law codes.

There is very little logic in these conservative posts. You can't just eliminate and emasculate an entire level of government and expect other countries to respect that government. Countries without a strong central government quickly become Balcanized and weak.

There also needs to be federal standards for employment law, workers' rights, environmental legislation, education standards, economic matters, and minority rights so that citizens and corporations are not subject to 51 sets of environmental regulations, 51 different employment law codes.

There is very little logic in these conservative posts. You can't just eliminate and emasculate an entire level of government and expect other countries to respect that government. Countries without a strong central government quickly become Balcanized and weak.

Why don't you try to amend the Constitution, with he Consent of 3/4 of the States for those ideas?

ONE SIZE FITS ALL!
one-size-fits-all.jpg

It would work just fine...people need to learn to fend for themselves for the most part...the country would be a hell of a lot better off if 1913 could be erased from the books.

It would work just fine...people need to learn to fend for themselves for the most part...the country would be a hell of a lot better off if 1913 could be erased from the books.

Don't forget the 17th Amendment, that needs to go too.

The whole idea of states running their governments autonomously as though they were mini-countries may have worked when there were only 13 in the union, the population was 2.5 million and it took 5 days to travel from one state to another but the concept nowadays is not only inefficient, it's preposterous.

The United States is one country and should be governed as such.

no, it should not

So what is you point? That we shouldn't have income or payroll taxes? If so, I agree. These taxes hamper the accumulation of wealth but give a free pass to those who already have it. The question is what to replace it with. Unless you want to disband the federal government, some revenue mechanism will still be needed. Would you favor a national sales tax instead?

The withholding tax on wages was first levied pursaunt to FDR's "Victory" Tax (1942) which was a direct war tax that could only be levied for 2 years.

But as per usual criminally corrupt politicians "forgot" to remove it.

The withholding tax on wages was first levied pursaunt to FDR's "Victory" Tax (1942) which was a direct war tax that could only be levied for 2 years.

But as per usual criminally corrupt politicians "forgot" to remove it.

Obviously the federal government existed and functioned before 1913, so why do you assume it needs to be replaced?

Forum List

Back