Update HARVEY: post QA links or comments here

emilynghiem

Constitutionalist / Universalist
Jan 21, 2010
National Freedmen's Town District
Don't know where the latest posts are, but thanks to all friends asking about me and others in Houston. I'm in phone contact with one other friend here on USMB who stays in a dry neighborhood north of where I had to get out after the Addicks area kept rising too fast with continual rains. I may lose my car, but my bf's niece and nephew came and got us to their house before going out again later to get another uncle and aunt. Then his nephew left to go on more truck and boat rescues. The saddest story he shared was only being able to help an older couple save 7 of their 29 horses, 4 already drowned and the rest had to be let loose on their own. They just had to say no and go rescue others like a man overturned in a boat in the middle of roaring River like conditions. He made it seem like normal but when you see it on the news it's heroic what these volunteers do. He even convinced an older man to come along who was afraid to leave his dog, but as an experienced dog trainer he held the dog in the front seat, dressed him down, and got him to obey. His wife is constantly worried because he goes all day answering rescue calls and can't call family back. He makes it look easy as a younger well trained responder and veteran, but I know it's high crisis. You wouldn't think anything was wrong the way he acts so normal and calm and focused.

There are reports of looters attacking police and even the visiting Cajun Navy from Louisiana trying to get their boats. This situation brings out the best and worst sides of human nature, strengths and weaknesses, but given the alternatives I'm glad I'm not one of the people who would shoot at rescue workers or show up in neighborhoods in boats to loot houses. That's even sadder to me, so I have nothing but compassion for all ppl good or bad, they still remind me how good I have it and how good ppl are despite the bad that comes out too.

As for criticism the Mayor didn't call for all Houston to evacuate at once , that would have cost more lives and losses, with overload of roads and emergency systems and crises. We have orderly communications in place because ppl are taking control district by district and coordinating which are urgent areas and cases to focus first. It's far from perfect, but clearly we take hard lessons learned from the past and make vast improvements in the future.

For criticism of nonzoning that allowed overdevelopment poor draining and flooding, yes there are historic complaints of developer politics running Houston. But on the flip side because of unilateral power to make decisions across private and public sector resources, that's how a previous Mayor was able to pull business church and govt support to transport Katrina evacuees to the Houston Astrodome without red tape in justifying the costs. Many Houstonians paid for that influx when deadly crime went up from people released from jails, so again there was heroic good as well as catastrophic bad.

As for how to rebuild and recover, I'd like to work with the city and fire fighters and other workers unions and Civic associations to set up microcredit systems for each district to start assessing all the work done by credits. Then apply donations and investments, loans and tax breaks and grants to cover those costs. Go ahead and authorize each district to track its recovery costs as credits and make that the assessed value of that district. Then the people doing or paying for the work can own shares in that development. Instead of criticizing churches like Lakewood for waiting for flood water to recede before offering shelter, let churches sponsor inmates or immigrants needing work and set up legal secure jobs for any willing to work off restitition owed. Then if we can prove how much volunteer work is being invested, and the money this normally costs, that can be deducted from any penalties owed to govt. And possibly matched by more loans or grants until these work programs have rebuilt enough to pay for themselves.

Why can't we organize a system of credits and creating jobs by using a business or charity investment plan instead of working about bigger federal debts ?

The incredible volunteer rescue work that is keeping the loss of life to a minimum is already worth millions to the ppl and city benefiting from this unpaid labor.

I'd really love to honor all those hurricane heroes by setting up a credit system to pay for the work and all the rebuilding the city faces.

If we can create a model in Houston, that means any city can do the same and unite their working populations with govt seeking better business plans .

Thank you, everyone

I will try posting links here, which I cited indirectly, but I'm not at the computer. Just on my phone, for everyone asking about that.

Please pray thankful, positive forgiving thoughts so we circulate uplifting energy at a critical time for both hurricane areas and the whole country going through storms. May we all come out better people and use what we learn to make the world a better place for it. Thank you!

Last edited:
There is a sort of thread in the Announcements Forum, I think; probably should be merged here.

I'm pleasantly surprised at the extremely low death toll so far, for one.

I would never leave my dog(s). Ever. Horses and larger livestock? Dayum. :(
I hope for the best for everyone, and every animal as well.
Thank you Gracie I am always amazed at the networks of animal and wildlife rescues who are heroes to me. There is a progression and learning curve. One of the previous floods was so unprepared for, a whole riding area left and lost all their horses. This time around more rescue workers were able to deal with dogs and now horses. We do need to set up a better system. We hope to see a vast reduction in human lives lost, including hospital and elderly centers that are still not able to vacate their populations in beds and chairs, so we should also work toward reducing loss of pets as well with the groups specialized in those efforts. It's sad to see the losses, but incredible to hear of successes and increased proficiency by studying and learning from failures. Far from perfect, but the good going on far outweighs the bad. People truly amaze me, thanks for caring Gracie and I hope more ppl just like you and me can organize and improve to develop better systems in the future !

stay safe emily, at first i was curious of the pictures....i have seen enough human misery to last a life time....
Thanks strollingbones
The worst losses reported so far include an uncle who lost his family in a van that went over a roadway into flooding waters. A woman and child who drowned in a car. One woman, the first fatality, and one man, the uncle of a San jacinto sheriff, who got swept away in separate incidents. And I just heard a close call that ended with a successful rescue of all 11 people caught in a river like flood, including both teenagers stuck in trees where all the people are safe.

If we continue isolating the crises then responders can help in time. So lots more ppl are making sacrifices so emergency resources and roads can remain free to help the most urgent cases first. This takes real concerted community effort, so thanks to everyone supporting that! May all the successes and positives far outweigh the negatives and losses we see. May the blessings be multiplied where the good things are the only thing overflowing !!!

this area is trying to load a truck headed to houston....i am thinking it is time to clean my old stocks.....i know it is sillie but i have a good ass vaccum and shit i dont use...and i am thinking winter solstice presents will be donations to local humanes down there....its just hard when people say they need everything and really do

men need to replace tools and things like that....its just a nightmare...all those things taken for granted last week....the lady who just said...my babies are okay ..i am okay summed it up

this area is trying to load a truck headed to houston....i am thinking it is time to clean my old stocks.....i know it is sillie but i have a good ass vaccum and shit i dont use...and i am thinking winter solstice presents will be donations to local humanes down there....its just hard when people say they need everything and really do

men need to replace tools and things like that....its just a nightmare...all those things taken for granted last week....the lady who just said...my babies are okay ..i am okay summed it up
I think the best bet to coordinate resources and efforts is district by district. People on the ground know who is doing the work and who needs what where. Then those branches need to feed upstream to connect to govt, businesses, schools, nonprofit and media outlets so the flow of specific resources goes where it should. I think we will get this right over time. We screwed up a lot with Katrina with federal resources getting misdirected abused and wasted. We have better social media now to get tighter networks. And these structures and lines of command and communication will help with community building that's needed anyway. We're just forced into overdrive to connect, due to emergency crisis, but that's the same effort that's going to help support more stable development in the future. We will come out stronger. Take care and let's all make the most of increased participation, responsibility and growth in community building and outreach we can gain from something of this magnitude. And replicate it everywhere!

It's only massively overwhelming when you view it collectively but each community and district has unique resources and relationships as any singular incident. So whatever we can do locally in small groups collectively that's how whole cities and countries can be collectively rebuilt and developed. We have a chance to learn and practice those same skills and operations here. Helping big is made up of lots of ppl helping small. Do you realize that's how we change the world, just by little things we do where we can. That's all it takes to rebuild a city. Remember that and how important you are to others you affect in a chain reaction of kindness and community action.

Thank you!

For those who want to give in other communities in need of support, here are more good examples of what every day ppl can do and make a huge impact:
www.rachelschallenge.org
www.paceuniversal.com
Heidi Search Center in San Antonio
Pacifica nonprofit radio in CA, NY and Houston TX www.kpft.org
I was working on a campus model for historic restoration that I support replicating along the border www.earnedamnesty.org www.freedmenstown.com
www.campusplan.org
The same system I propose of credits for work to rebuild and develop sustainable community can be applied first to districts as in Houston, and to creating city states along the border for safe legal residence and secure developments for long-term economic growth. Maybe all this is part of the same plans

Last edited:
Hi Peach in Houston terms, the breach just meant flowed past the top. The water over the edges does erode and weaken the corners. The worst issue was these reservoirs were never designed to hold high capacity volume and weight for such extended times. They were also only 15% repaired of the total repairs required when this incident hit. One area had to be patched on the fly but it was done successfully. They are more confident than not that these will hold, but they really need to be overhauled.

As for the Addicks and Barker areas, the rising is minimized to 1-2 inches through Friday. The agonizing news is that the 6-8 ft flooded subdivisions can take from 1-2 weeks to 2-3 months to drain.

I will try to post a picture of the "lake house" neighborhood where my car became a submarine.

If anyone has a REALLY big pump, and a long pipeline...hmmm....I can name friends in Arizona and a retired wildfire fighter in Oregon who would love to have all this water to play with!!!

Death toll rising but as slowly as the waters are receding.

More heroic stories of nonstop boat and ATV teams going after calls, and a volunteer dispatch system created on the ground to coordinate volunteers from all over Texas and other states.

I am sorry for the sad stories. Instead of being angry or depressed (which I will be having to clean up after weeks of sitting water) the great efforts give me positive focus and time to prepare before the flood of grief and postponed reaction finally hits. Sort of like how the reservoirs worked to delay the floods to give time to prepare, knowing it's coming anyway.

Don't know where the latest posts are, but thanks to all friends asking about me and others in Houston. I'm in phone contact with one other friend here on USMB who stays in a dry neighborhood north of where I had to get out after the Addicks area kept rising too fast with continual rains. I may lose my car, but my bf's niece and nephew came and got us to their house before going out again later to get another uncle and aunt. Then his nephew left to go on more truck and boat rescues. The saddest story he shared was only being able to help an older couple save 7 of their 29 horses, 4 already drowned and the rest had to be let loose on their own. They just had to say no and go rescue others like a man overturned in a boat in the middle of roaring River like conditions. He made it seem like normal but when you see it on the news it's heroic what these volunteers do. He even convinced an older man to come along who was afraid to leave his dog, but as an experienced dog trainer he held the dog in the front seat, dressed him down, and got him to obey. His wife is constantly worried because he goes all day answering rescue calls and can't call family back. He makes it look easy as a younger well trained responder and veteran, but I know it's high crisis. You wouldn't think anything was wrong the way he acts so normal and calm and focused.

There are reports of looters attacking police and even the visiting Cajun Navy from Louisiana trying to get their boats. This situation brings out the best and worst sides of human nature, strengths and weaknesses, but given the alternatives I'm glad I'm not one of the people who would shoot at rescue workers or show up in neighborhoods in boats to loot houses. That's even sadder to me, so I have nothing but compassion for all ppl good or bad, they still remind me how good I have it and how good ppl are despite the bad that comes out too.

As for criticism the Mayor didn't call for all Houston to evacuate at once , that would have cost more lives and losses, with overload of roads and emergency systems and crises. We have orderly communications in place because ppl are taking control district by district and coordinating which are urgent areas and cases to focus first. It's far from perfect, but clearly we take hard lessons learned from the past and make vast improvements in the future.

For criticism of nonzoning that allowed overdevelopment poor draining and flooding, yes there are historic complaints of developer politics running Houston. But on the flip side because of unilateral power to make decisions across private and public sector resources, that's how a previous Mayor was able to pull business church and govt support to transport Katrina evacuees to the Houston Astrodome without red tape in justifying the costs. Many Houstonians paid for that influx when deadly crime went up from people released from jails, so again there was heroic good as well as catastrophic bad.

As for how to rebuild and recover, I'd like to work with the city and fire fighters and other workers unions and Civic associations to set up microcredit systems for each district to start assessing all the work done by credits. Then apply donations and investments, loans and tax breaks and grants to cover those costs. Go ahead and authorize each district to track its recovery costs as credits and make that the assessed value of that district. Then the people doing or paying for the work can own shares in that development. Instead of criticizing churches like Lakewood for waiting for flood water to recede before offering shelter, let churches sponsor inmates or immigrants needing work and set up legal secure jobs for any willing to work off restitition owed. Then if we can prove how much volunteer work is being invested, and the money this normally costs, that can be deducted from any penalties owed to govt. And possibly matched by more loans or grants until these work programs have rebuilt enough to pay for themselves.

Why can't we organize a system of credits and creating jobs by using a business or charity investment plan instead of working about bigger federal debts ?

The incredible volunteer rescue work that is keeping the loss of life to a minimum is already worth millions to the ppl and city benefiting from this unpaid labor.

I'd really love to honor all those hurricane heroes by setting up a credit system to pay for the work and all the rebuilding the city faces.

If we can create a model in Houston, that means any city can do the same and unite their working populations with govt seeking better business plans .

Thank you, everyone

I will try posting links here, which I cited indirectly, but I'm not at the computer. Just on my phone, for everyone asking about that.

Please pray thankful, positive forgiving thoughts so we circulate uplifting energy at a critical time for both hurricane areas and the whole country going through storms. May we all come out better people and use what we learn to make the world a better place for it. Thank you!
What has happened to the zoo animals?

If I had a boat, I'd go and save the animals.

I looked it up. The Houston Zoo has all the animals safe.
Hi Tipsycatlover I wish boats would have been enough to save all the horses.
Unfortunately the responders weren't equipped for that, and had their hands and boats full saving people.

I saw special shelters and rescue teams just for animals.
The horses and livestock require experienced teams, so I think
it would take a communications network from county to county;
and when one location is affected the others respond with their trailers and trucks.

Well, good news bad news. The storage unit that had some of the fragile wooden miniature sets I had painstakingly collected for displays to raise funds for charity (historic vet houses) got flooded.

The good news is the invoice and damage letter for claims could speed up the documentation process
that I was an occupant in the affected area, and could use this to verify my car being parked
in that zip code and subdivision.

I was meditating deeply on why all the charity items would get buried under 6-12 feet of floodwater.
And I got a vision last night, to post and auction them as historic collectors items,
as souvenirs of the 800 year flood. Well, I mean the 365 day flood that just happened last year!

So my poor bf who is chewing his nails off and will soon be without finger tips
(or maybe he will chew his hand or arm off, worrying about being put on
hold by another insurance agent telling him the opposite of what he was just told)
might get some relief through a special radio and indy media fundraising campaign
to build a brand new bunker studio to replace the one that just got washed out.

He can move farther west and handle the conservative business and music interests
in building their own station. And I can powwow with the liberal progressives on the left
and use the public radio to rally all the communities to rebuild our own districts, and
creating jobs for locals doing all the work.

Everyone is doing fundraising in their own way focusing on various angles on this.
I"d like to focus on the left and right media, and the groups organizing resources
in coalitions even before this implosion happened. And take it to the next level.

I will try to put together a plan for a microlending business and community development network.
And organize left and right to compete to raise more funds, and then SEE who has resources
to lend to the other groups. I think we will find that as many positive strengths on one side
is balanced with the opposite on the other, and vice versa. We can all help each other,
from all different angles, and that's even better to cover more ground that way.

It's amazing what is coming together, and I hope we keep the best of this teamwork
and improve on or prevent the worst. The learning curve is accelerating exponentially
and I am as proud as I can be for the people doing all they can, as I am in grief with
those who feel blocked and helpless, and hope we can organize better to provide relief for that, too!

It's so funny that what is considered an absolute disaster to one person
is nothing to someone else, and we can't judge each other for that.
We are all learning to let each other be the way we're going to be,
and do things in the order that we need to at the cost we're willing to pay,
and NOT COMPARE what one person does or prioritizes to how we
might do it better for less. Not everyone can do things the same way.

I see a LOT of that learning and tolerance going on. Incredible.
I would say, the human race has a good chance of making it
from what I see happening. The good far outweighs the bad.
And given how historically bad this is, that means the good is making history as well!

Thank you all for being here.
I meant this to be more for informational links,
and it became a personal blog of sort. Sorry for that.

When I get my campaign together for fundraising,
I will definitely integrate it here through USMB which has
been the vehicle, the bridge to bring the best of all sides together.

You've really made all the difference, and now
we'll see that applied in the real world, and see what
it looks like on the ground. After the water subsides...

Help! Our neighbors are winging it with sharing boats and supplies.

I already want to raise $100,000 to buy 4 more ATV's for the teams up in Kingwood saving people and even horses from wild raging streams as dangerous as being in the middle of a river. There were 4 horses drowned they couldn't save, so I hope to help ease the woman's grief who lost them, by buying and naming 4 rescue vehicles after them. And possibly some trailers that can be used to save horses, since the boats they had could only carry people or dogs.

As for Bear Creek, I got a first hand look from a boat, pushed and rowed by volunteers walking in that water to help residents stay safe and dry going in and out. They refused any donations, not even gas cards. Thanks to them, they are keeping things safe and watching out for everyone there. We are looking at waist high water, and these volunteers walked in and out to rescue people when it was neck high.

After one young man died from electrocution in this very subdivision, from stepping on a live wire from a landscape light, I don't want anyone running into unsafe situations. There were at least two known reports of looters coming in (including a pair on a large boat that fled and got away) before they set up a constable patrol at the front to screen all people coming in and out.

But as the water recedes, it will be harder to patrol.
I hate to see any more risks to public security if any confrontations distract
from the focus on safety for residents going through their streets and homes.

Was anyone else here affected or know people in the Bear Creek subdivision West of Houston.
I would like to coordinate some outreach to get a hold of a couple more boats
specifically dedicated to the neighborhood crews and volunteer residents.

The head volunteer managing most of this has refused any monetary donations
and directed any donors to give to the Red Cross, as so many people have it worse.
But it does strain him and his wife, when newbies like me don't have the right supplies
and it takes longer to work with everyone, as experienced as they are dealing with stressed victims.

Normally, the man in charge does fulltime outreach advocacy and legislative and law enforcement policy to help victims of crime gain greater protections, on local state and national levels. So he has a wide loyal support base across the country, who all wanted to give, but he and his wife selflessly directed all resources to go to the central hub. They prefer to keep a low profile and keep things centrally coordinated to keep it smooth.

I really want to do more to help him, who is coordinating the other neighborhood volunteers nonstop.
It is only going to get more stressful and dirty, after the water finally lets people in after more and more damage is done. Not just outside people but animals will also get in, and make more messes or pose more dangers to people including possibly alligators and water moccasins since our waters have joined with the lakes in the forest reserve adjacent that is full of such wildlife.

We honestly will need more rubber full suits like waist high and thigh high boots.
These neighbors are TOO NICE and WILL NOT ask for this at a time other people don't
even have homes, or know where a missing loved one is!

The volunteers really need their own boats, at least two, so they don't have to keep
waiting and borrowing from neighbors. Right now it's light, but what happen when
everyone starts coming back. We want to keep things safe.

If you have ideas how to get supplies like this, I would like to help two teams:
the men and first responders or trained vets doing the actual pushing and paddling of boats and patrolling for safety, and the women who are experienced with the personal talking and counseling through the process (even down to how to clean sentimental photos, dresses, or antiques that can't be replaced) which I already KNOW drives my bf and other men crazy while they are stressed out
about bigger financial issues than that.

When it comes down to either grabbing the essentials or the "sentimental" things that can suffer worse water damage the longer they sit and wait, people are going to get stressed and don't need to fight and argue. I know that happens, the point is how can we make it easier so nobody feels pressured to compromise one thing for another. Why can't we do all the steps needed and relax.

I already know not to judge people for what matters to them, as I've seen it all.
Yes, we all need to let go, and I understand people do that in different ways, so I'd like to respect the process and priorities people are going through, who lost their homes because our district did what it's supposed to do and serve as the reservoir to hold back flood waters from worse.

If anyone here has ideas or contacts to referrals or resources,
please advise me how I can help get more supplies to the
people doing the right thing. There is one project I see raising funds and getting
trucks for the first responders team. And another for dealing with the emotional aftermath, from safety in the floodwaters to the work and time to clean up so people don't lose a few "special things" they want to keep if they have to give up their homes and other things they lost.

I understand. I am grateful for the trucks that came in so I could save family items. And I really hope and pray I can go back and save the ones for my bf he had to leave behind because they wouldn't fit.
It was just a few small things I managed to cram high in cabinets. But if we don't return in time, any animal or person who gets in there rummaging for anything can throw these "worthless items" in the water and destroy our chance to save them. So if I am going through this, I'm sure other people are too. I was able to save 2-3 of my things, but what about others who have a wedding dress, quilt or antique table from their grandmother? Nobody would understand this but someone else who treasures those things, even more than losing a car which can be replaced!

If you understand this too, THANK YOU.
Please pray nobody fights over this and we can do more to help everyone in their own way

That poor woman who lost her horses, I'd love to memorialize them in a positive way.
And the young bride who may have lost her wedding dress, we don't know yet.
I'd love to make sure she gets help to either save it or replace it.
And I plan to organize a website just for people who go through that as well.
Nobody else may understand or think it's important, but I do!

Thank you!
Emily

I'd also like to set up a restitution system.
For those caught and convicted of looting (and also flood and elderly fraud),
I would like to work with the DA where these people have to do work
to clean up the sewage and other messes made by this storm situation.

Either that, or face DEPORTATION, and if inmates want jobs
or immigrants want citizenship, why not earn it by working off
restitution by people who refuse? Then we can fill our cities
with people who WANT to work and obey the laws. And deport
only those who refuse to get help with rehab and recovery from
their criminal issues. Use THAT as leverage, and watch which
people are willing to work for citizenship, born here or not!

www.earnedamnesty.org
I visualized this policy and even shared with Kim Ogg on the radio
long before she became our DA. Now we really could change policy
and start issuing stronger deterrent and restitution with TRUMP in office
and CRUZ in the Senate pushing immigration reform which affects
criminal justice and prison reform as well.

And now I find out the head of our neighborhood efforts is
one of the national advocates who lobbies for criminal justice reforms.
It's all coming together, in ways I didn't foresee.
I just hope this makes it easier in the longrun.
That somehow this is a shortcut to jumpstart the move toward real change
in the right direction, and things will vastly improve, by necessity, after this!

Forum List

Back