US Army quietly discharging immigrant recruits

I support this pathway to citizenship. I am extreme on immigration.
Others who pressed for answers said the Army informed them they’d been labeled as security risks because they have relatives abroad or because the Defense Department had not completed background checks on them.
However, i see nothing wrong with the italics above.

Currently, to enlist in the US Army you must be a US citizen or have an I-551 card, or "green card". Don't have green card? Have a nice day! Come back when you are a permanent resident alien, i.e. legal immigrant.

Not under MAVNI (the program that the AP was talking about in the article) they don't , asylum seekers, refugees, VISA holders and temporary protected status and (most recently) DACA protected immigrants can enlist without a green card.

Hey! Guess what? The MAVNI program was suspended and is no longer applicable.

Yeah and? that doesn't change the fact that the enlistees referred to in the OP article are in under the MAVNI program.

I work for the Army Recruiting Command!
Bully for you, Then you should know that there are immigrants currently in the military that don't have green cards.

Thoughts on this? I personally like the idea of people becoming citizens through military service. Hopefully this is not what it looks like.

AP NewsBreak: US Army quietly discharging immigrant recruits

Some immigrant U.S. Army reservists and recruits who enlisted in the military with a promised path to citizenship are being abruptly discharged, the Associated Press has learned.

The AP was unable to quantify how many men and women who enlisted through the special recruitment program have been booted from the Army, but immigration attorneys say they know of more than 40 who have been discharged or whose status has become questionable, jeopardizing their futures.

“It was my dream to serve in the military,” said reservist Lucas Calixto, a Brazilian immigrant who filed a lawsuit against the Army last week. “Since this country has been so good to me, I thought it was the least I could do to give back to my adopted country and serve in the United States military.”

I agree. If they serve America in the military then I have no problem with them IN America. They need the security checks though. If they pass then I have no problem with it and I'm hell on illegal immigration.

Thoughts on this? I personally like the idea of people becoming citizens through military service. Hopefully this is not what it looks like.

Some immigrant U.S. Army reservists and recruits who enlisted in the military with a promised path to citizenship are being abruptly discharged, the Associated Press has learned.

The AP was unable to quantify how many men and women who enlisted through the special recruitment program have been booted from the Army, but immigration attorneys say they know of more than 40 who have been discharged or whose status has become questionable, jeopardizing their futures.

“It was my dream to serve in the military,” said reservist Lucas Calixto, a Brazilian immigrant who filed a lawsuit against the Army last week. “Since this country has been so good to me, I thought it was the least I could do to give back to my adopted country and serve in the United States military.”
My Grandfather was an immigrant recruit in WWII who was drafted
He got his citizenship while in the Army

In my view, if an immigrant is willing to fight and die for our country he is welcome to citizenship

I can understand legal immigrants being allowed into the military, however illegal immigrants is a totally different story. No way should an illegal immigrant be allowed to serve in our military,

I can understand legal immigrants being allowed into the military, however illegal immigrants is a totally different story. No way should an illegal immigrant be allowed to serve in our military,
Why?

it doesn't say why they are being discharged.

They illegally invaded my country who had folks risk their lives in REAL wars like WWI and WWII defend the USA and would have lethally defended against the illegal invaders without thinking twice.

This is thread worthy itself. WWII was just a continuation of WWI, and Wilson dragged us into that one, which was almost over anyhow, just because he wanted to be involved in the Treaty of Versailles. Of course, the Treaty of Versailles gave us modern day Iraq. The Treaty of Versailles opened the door to some of the worst tyrants and dictators in history. It gave us Hitler, Lenin, and Mussolini.

The People voted against WWI, less than a hundred thousand enlisted and then Wilson turned around and started the draft. And wilson was ruthless to anybody who spoke against conscription. People were getting six months in the slammer for passing out long lived the constitution pamphlets for crying out loud. That all thanks to Wilson's Commitee for public Information talking about “faith in democracy, faith in fact.”.

“The world must be made safe for democracy....U.S is one of the champions of the rights of mankind” - Wilson selling WWI to a nation who didn't want to get involved with it..

lol. They've beenn weaponizing democracy ever since.

Ah well. Like I said, it's a topic of its own. There's more to it. The progressive authoritarians who got us into WWI set the pretext for federal dominance over our monetary policy and economy. And they set the pretext for dictators like Hitler and Mussolini and Lenin and WWII and every other war that's followed.

In fact, I'm pretty sure Wilson was pissed off at Lenin because he thought Lenin stole his ''world peace'' idea from him. lol.

Last edited:
Currently, to enlist in the US Army you must be a US citizen or have an I-551 card, or "green card". Don't have green card? Have a nice day! Come back when you are a permanent resident alien, i.e. legal immigrant.

Not under MAVNI (the program that the AP was talking about in the article) they don't , asylum seekers, refugees, VISA holders and temporary protected status and (most recently) DACA protected immigrants can enlist without a green card.

Yeah and? that doesn't change the fact that the enlistees referred to in the OP article are in under the MAVNI program.

Bully for you, Then you should know that there are immigrants currently in the military that don't have green cards.

It was a total f-ing disaster and that is why the Army ended it.

Have a nice day!

It's suspended not ended and Mattis has indicated that he supports reinstating it once the background check process is retooled and the current crop of MAVNI recruits are run through the system.

So don't get too comfortable.

It's suspended not ended and Mattis has indicated that he supports reinstating it once the background check process is retooled and the current crop of MAVNI recruits are run through the system.

I have the Army manual that I work from every day. Have you read it?

The only people going to be put through this program are linguists! I'll bet you didn't know that, did you? Illegals from Mexico unless they also speak Pashtun, Urdu, or Arabic need not apply should it ever be reopened.

It took 5 weeks to get my background check to work on unclassified materials, and I am a former member of the military and worked for the DoD. How long do you think it will take to do a background check on Muhammed, the Afghani goat herder turned cab driver?

It is insane illegal aliens be allowed into the US armed forces. What next rapists? Is the army that hard up to get bodies?
Once they are sworn in, they are NOT illegal.

What is wrong with you people? These soldiers could be sent to fight for this country at any time. They earned a spot more than some white wingers who got here via dad's car's backseat.

When I was in the service in 1979, the battalion I was in had people from all over the world who were serving so they could become an American.

It seems reasonable that the U.S. Military would discharge only about 40 legal immigrant recruits after background checks revealed a criminal record or a security risk. They do it all the time. The dirty little secret is that news outlets like the A.P. would rather fan the flames of left wing anger over the immigration issue.

I have the Army manual that I work from every day. Have you read it?
Why the would I waste my time reading Army manuals? I moved on from the military decades ago; thanks for the college money and the VA loan.

The only people going to be put through this program are linguists! I'll bet you didn't know that, did you?
It's nice to see that you acknowledge that the MAVNI program is suspended not ended and that the possibility of re-instatement exists.

Illegals from Mexico unless they also speak Pashtun, Urdu, or Arabic need not apply should it ever be reopened.
Illegals aren't eligible for MAVNI, never have been.

It took 5 weeks to get my background check to work on unclassified materials, and I am a former member of the military and worked for the DoD.

How long do you think it will take to do a background check on Muhammed, the Afghani goat herder turned cab driver?
Don't know, don't care, I pay gub'mint drones to handle those details.

Ah well. Like I said, it's a topic of its own. There's more to it. The progressive authoritarians who got us into WWI set the pretext for federal dominance over our monetary policy and economy. And they set the pretext for dictators like Hitler and Mussolini and Lenin and WWII and every other war that's followed.

Yep, interesting topic too. ;)

It is insane illegal aliens be allowed into the US armed forces. What next rapists? Is the army that hard up to get bodies?
Once they are sworn in, they are NOT illegal.

What is wrong with you people? These soldiers could be sent to fight for this country at any time. They earned a spot more than some white wingers who got here via dad's car's backseat.

When I was in the service in 1979, the battalion I was in had people from all over the world who were serving so they could become an American.

MAVNI didn't exist in 1979.. and you must be a legal immigrant to qualify for MAVNI.

Just go away already.

Forum List

Back