US destroyer collides with merchant ship near Singapore

Honey, the Dems have used every stalling tactic within and outside of the play book. Postponing, anyway they can, even requiring 30 hrs debate on those nominees they know will pass their own Dems-

Well, actions speak much louder than words. With a Republican in the White House, Senate Democrats have turned our role of advice and consent into the most aggressive obstruction campaign in history.

Democrats complained about obstruction when, during the first six months of the Obama administration, the Senate confirmed 69 percent of his nominations. Today marks six months since President Trump took the oath of office and the Senate has been able to confirm only 23 percent of his nominations. I ask my Democratic colleagues: if 69 percent is too low, what do you call a confirmation pace that is two-thirds lower?

Democrats do not have the votes to defeat nominees outright. That’s why the centerpiece of their obstruction campaign is a strategy to make confirming President Trump’s nominees as difficult and time-consuming as possible. Here’s how they do it.

The Senate is designed for deliberation as well as for action. As a result, the Senate must end debate on a nomination before it can confirm that nomination. Doing so informally is fast; doing it formally is slow.

In the past, the majority and minority informally agreed on the necessity or length of any debate on a nomination, as well as when a confirmation vote would occur. The first step in the Democrats’ obstruction campaign, therefore, is to refuse any cooperation on scheduling debates and votes on nominations.

The only option is to use the formal process of ending debate by invoking cloture under Senate Rule 22. A motion to end debate is filed but the vote on that motion cannot occur for two calendar days. If cloture is invoked, there can then be up to 30 hours of debate before a confirmation vote can occur. The Democrats’ obstruction playbook calls for stretching this process out as long as possible. While informal cooperation can take a few hours, the formal cloture process can take up to several days.

The late Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan once said that you are entitled to your opinion, but not to your own set of facts. Let’s let the confirmation facts do the talking. President Trump and his three predecessors were each elected with the Senate controlled by his own political party.

At this point in the Clinton and George W. Bush administrations, the Senate had taken no cloture votes on nominations. We took just four nomination cloture votes at this point during the Obama administration. So far in the Trump administration, the Senate has taken 33 cloture votes on nominations. It’s not even close.

There is one very important difference between cloture votes taken at the beginning of the Clinton, Bush, and Obama administrations and those taken this year. In November 2013, Democrats effectively abolished nomination filibusters by lowering the votes necessary to end debate from a supermajority of 60 to a simple majority. It now takes no more votes to end debate than it does to confirm a nomination. In other words, the Senate did not take cloture votes during previous administrations, even though doing so could have prevented confirmation. Today, Democrats are forcing the Senate to take dozens of cloture votes even though doing so cannot prevent confirmation.

At least half of these useless cloture votes taken so far would have passed even under the higher 60-vote threshold. Earlier this week, 88 Senators, including 41 Democrats, voted to end debate on President Trump’s nominee to be Deputy Secretary of Defense. We’ve seen tallies of 67, 81, 89, and even 92 votes for ending debate.
Hatch Blasts Democrat Obstruction on Critical Nominees - Press Releases - United States Senator Orrin Hatch
I'm sure this doesn't help-

Key positions in the Departments of Defense and Veterans Affairs are vacant because of obstructionism by Senate Democrats, damaging national security.

— The Department of Defense has seen only 6 of President Trump's 22 nominations confirmed. Positions waiting confirmation votes include:

— Deputy Secretary of Defense

— Principal Deputy under the Secretary of Defense

— Assistant Secretary of Defense
Republicans control everything. Ask them why the positions are not filled.

Mattis had been retired for a few years before he was picked for dod. If you think he could turn it around in 7 months by himself, considering all the other dod posts have received continual delay tactics, you are full of it.

US destroyer collides with merchant ship near Singapore - CNN

"Opening Posts require more than a Copy and Paste with a Link, You need to include relevant, on topic material of your own.

Even Trumps military is a joke. What's that two collisions since he's been commander?

Remember when the BP oil spill was Obama's fault? Well Trump did appoint the generals that run our military now and they seem to have their heads up their asses.

We now have ZERO ships in that part of the world in case Kim Jung decides to pull a Pearl Harbor on us.

Can you imagine if Obama was president what would Republicans be saying???

Once is an accident, twice is a coincidence, everything after that is a pattern. I'm no conspiracy nut but something is going on.

Mattis had been retired for a few years before he was picked for dod. If you think he could turn it around in 7 months by himself, considering all the other dod posts have received continual delay tactics, you are full of it.

"Opening Posts require more than a Copy and Paste with a Link, You need to include relevant, on topic material of your own.

Even Trumps military is a joke. What's that two collisions since he's been commander?

Remember when the BP oil spill was Obama's fault? Well Trump did appoint the generals that run our military now and they seem to have their heads up their asses.

We now have ZERO ships in that part of the world in case Kim Jung decides to pull a Pearl Harbor on us.

I wish him the best. I'm just busting balls. Remember in 2009 the BP oil spill was Obama's fault? Everything was Obama's fault leading up to the midterms? Well that's what I'm doing to Trump now.

“Leadership: Whatever happens, you're responsible. If it doesn't happen, you're responsible,” the former businessman tweeted in 2013.

Another one who doesn't seem to realise how the Armed Forces work. If you've ever watched the movie Pentagon Wars they have to get Sheep Specs first before changes are implemented.

actually reports put the blame on him-
U.S. exempted BP's Gulf of Mexico drilling from environmental impact study
The Interior Department exempted BP's calamitous Gulf of Mexico drilling operation from a detailed environmental impact analysis last year, according to government documents, after three reviews of the area concluded that a massive oil spill was unlikely.

The decision by the department's Minerals Management Service (MMS) to give BP's lease at Deepwater Horizon a "categorical exclusion" from the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) on April 6, 2009 -- and BP's lobbying efforts just 11 days before the explosion to expand those exemptions -- show that neither federal regulators nor the company anticipated an accident of the scale of the one unfolding in the gulf.

Oil Spill Reports Fault Obama Administration

I wish him the best. I'm just busting balls. Remember in 2009 the BP oil spill was Obama's fault? Everything was Obama's fault leading up to the midterms? Well that's what I'm doing to Trump now.

“Leadership: Whatever happens, you're responsible. If it doesn't happen, you're responsible,” the former businessman tweeted in 2013.

The Interior Department exempted BP's calamitous Gulf of Mexico drilling operation from a detailed environmental impact analysis last year, according to government documents, after three reviews of the area concluded that a massive oil spill was unlikely.

The decision by the department's Minerals Management Service (MMS) to give BP's lease at Deepwater Horizon a "categorical exclusion" from the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) on April 6, 2009 -- and BP's lobbying efforts just 11 days before the explosion to expand those exemptions -- show that neither federal regulators nor the company anticipated an accident of the scale of the one unfolding in the gulf.

Oh come on! You guys say the Democrats over regulate and now you're going to say they didn't regulate enough? I give up. LOL.

Trump scores low approval in key states: poll

Everything bad happening is Trumps fault. Same as the BP oil spill.

And Trust me Trump with all his deregulations will have spills.

But will you care? No. You won't give a fuck about that report you just quoted.

Did you guys blame Rick Snyder for the lead in Flint like you are Obama? Nope. But you should have.

Well, total exemption is a far cry from over regulation. Wonder who they were lobbying?

Oh come on! You guys say the Democrats over regulate and now you're going to say they didn't regulate enough? I give up. LOL.

Trump scores low approval in key states: poll

Everything bad happening is Trumps fault. Same as the BP oil spill.

And Trust me Trump with all his deregulations will have spills.

But will you care? No. You won't give a fuck about that report you just quoted.

Was anyone lobbying for Flint water exemptions and they were granted by Snyder's administration?
I do believe he was responsible for his MDEQ that fed him incorrect information, yes, but it wasn't due to lobbying efforts. A bit different.

Now, the Dems need stop the nonsense and confirm his nominations they have been delaying for dod.

Did you guys blame Rick Snyder for the lead in Flint like you are Obama? Nope. But you should have.

Last edited:
Once is an accident, twice is a coincidence, everything after that is a pattern. I'm no conspiracy nut but something is going on.
I agree. These guided missile destroyers have the most advanced radar systems on earth. They should be aware of everything in the air and water a long ways out. I'd bet someone is fucking with us with electronic warfare, and we'd better figure out what is happening, who is doing it, and come up with effective countermeasures before the shit hits the fan.

TRUMP has only been President for about 7 months and he needs to rebuild the USA Military [as he is doing] after mrobama had 8 years to dismantle the USA Military Gentlemen .
What did Obama do to dismantle it?

Show me specifics.

I agree. These guided missile destroyers have the most advanced radar systems on earth. They should be aware of everything in the air and water a long ways out. I'd bet someone is fucking with us with electronic warfare, and we'd better figure out what is happening, who is doing it, and come up with effective countermeasures before the shit hits the fan.
They are supposed to avoid missiles

They can't avoid a tanker at eight knots

TRUMP has only been President for about 7 months and he needs to rebuild the USA Military [as he is doing] after mrobama had 8 years to dismantle the USA Military Gentlemen .

Show me specifics.
He didn't do shit to dismantle it. Repugs controlled spending for the majority of his terms in office.

DOD Mathis is ordering Adm Richardson to investigate broadly the 7th Fleet and for a temporary pause of all fleets. They are ordered to assess the training of all officers within that investigation.

Divers are to search the flooded compartments at day light in Singapore for the missing.

Obama's Military Coup Purges 197 Officers In Five Years

Show me specifics.
So, how does that compare to the turnover rate of senior military officers during other administrations? 197 officers over 5 years is just a data point. There are close to a thousand flag rank officers overseeing 1.3 million troops at any given time. 40 out of a thousand each year doesn't seem especially alarming. Lots of these flag officers are at the end of long careers and choose to retire anyway.

Obama's Military Coup Purges 197 Officers In Five Years

Show me specifics.
Looks like congress was already considering reducing the number of flag officers anyway.
Does The US Military Have Too Many Generals?

Forum List

Back