US high school allows Muslims time for prayer if they earn good grades

Almost a decade ago, New York City School System set a room aside specifically for Muslims to pray in.

It was the wash basin for them to wash their feet in and school supplied towels.

The Schools were required to set the student's class schedule around the prayer times.

At the same time they were forbidding Christian and Jewish teachers from wearing Crosses or Stars of David.

Nice claim so prove it with links to quality sites.

As for prayers; before you argue, you must have facts.

I understand school hours are usually 8 until 3.
The only prayer time here is at about 1pm and that takes about 5 to 10 minutes.
It's acceptable to pray outside the set time if there is difficulty.

What time is lunch break?

As I said - a created issue designed to cause problems where none exist.

Schools to Allow Ramadan Prayer - NYTimes.com

Trying to find a lengthy article from a decade ago is difficult.

IIRC, when Christians demanded the same for during Christmas and Easter and Jews demanded it for Hannakah and Passover, the Chancellor withdrew policy.

As the saying goes, atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby.

Is there another saying that involves teaching an idiot how to think?

Legally, atheism is a religion under the 1st Amendment. That means that the government actually has to demonstrate a secular reason to treat you any different than they treat me, or a Muslim.

What secular argument is there for allowing Muslims to leave a classroom for prayer that would justify not allowing atheists to leave a classroom to think? Unless you can actually articulate an argument that relies on nothing more than a secular defense of this you are defending preferential treatment based on religion.

I won't hold my breath.

Legally, you’re wrong, as atheism is not ‘religion.’

An atheist could make no Free Exercise Clause violation complaint because he would have no standing in court as an atheist; since atheism is not a religion, no religious tenet, practice, or ritual has been disallowed, infringed upon, or violated by the state. Any such suit would be dismissed accordingly.

You’re obviously confusing Free Exercise Clause jurisprudence with that of Establishment Clause jurisprudence, where the latter applies to atheists when government attempts to conjoin church and state to compel religious practice.

In these cases an atheist has standing because the state is seeking to force religion upon a citizen where religion is clearly absent, and the individual’s right to be free from religion violated.

Read McCreary County, Ky. v. American Civil Liberties Union of Ky and then come back and admit that I am right.

KAUFMAN v. McCAUGHTRY, No.?04-1914., August 19, 2005 - US 7th Circuit | FindLaw

As the saying goes, atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby.

Legally, atheism is a religion under the 1st Amendment. That means that the government actually has to demonstrate a secular reason to treat you any different than they treat me, or a Muslim.

What secular argument is there for allowing Muslims to leave a classroom for prayer that would justify not allowing atheists to leave a classroom to think? Unless you can actually articulate an argument that relies on nothing more than a secular defense of this you are defending preferential treatment based on religion.

I won't hold my breath.

Please link to where it is cited that atheism is a legal Religion.

I did not say it is a legal religion, so I can't link to that. What I said is that atheism is a religion under the 1st Amendment.

You screwed the pooch big time here Jake, come back and pretend you always supported equal treatment under the law by demanding that schools stop giving some groups special treatment if they earn it.
I said equal accommodation is part of the law. Public schools cannot endorse religion is the point you are missing. The Christian kids have always had the legal right to be able to pray in schools without interference as long as they did not coerce their neighbors and disrupt the educational process.

You need to concentrate on the points, friend, and stop trolling.

I am not missing anything. You are missing the fact that the schools are effectively endorsing a religion by creating an exception to the rules that no secular purpose, that amounts to an endorsement of religion.

I won't hold my breath.

Atheism is definitely not a religion. It certainly does not fit the most common definition, the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods. To say atheism is a religion would be like saying a creationist is an evolutionist or non-believer is a believer. The statement makes no sense.

IT takes about 5 seconds to Google the fact that atheism is treated like a religion under the Constitution. That leaves me to conclude that you prefer your delusions to evidence that might force you to admit you don't know everything. That makes you the functional equivalent of a Young Earth Creationist, which is a really sad place for anyone to be.

Atheism, since it cannot be validated empirically or philosophically, operates on faith, like religion.

I think that is the thrust of QWB's argument.

No, the thrust of my argument is that atheism is legally equivalent to a religion, and that there have been numerous court cases that spelled this out.

US high school allows Muslims time for prayer if they earn good grades ? RT USA

yet , they ban kids from Christian prayer . tell them to a moment of silence instead..

Where's the part where the Christians have been denied the right to pray?

Do these count?

a. Six-year-old Zachary Hood was happy at this chance to be recognized for his good reading performance. He and the other students in the first-grade class at Haines School in Medford, New Jersey, would be allowed to read a story to their classmates. Zachary initially selected Dr. Suess's The Cat in the Hat, but decided that it was too long and picked a story about Jacob and Esau from The Beginner's Bible instead. … Unfortunately teacher Grace Oliva decided the story was inappropriate, since it has based on the Bible. She would not allow Zachary to read it to the students.
Liberty | A Magazine of Religious Freedom

b. A teacher's aide in Indiana County filed a federal civil rights lawsuit yesterday against her employer, saying she was unfairly suspended from her job for a year without pay for refusing to remove a small cross she wears on a necklace. Suspended teacher's aide sues employer over wearing cross on necklace

c. “A Lewis-Palmer High School student who was told she must apologize for mentioning Jesus in a valedictorian speech or not receive a diploma…” Monument teen appeals over Jesus graduation speech - The Denver Post

Almost a decade ago, New York City School System set a room aside specifically for Muslims to pray in.

It was the wash basin for them to wash their feet in and school supplied towels.

The Schools were required to set the student's class schedule around the prayer times.

At the same time they were forbidding Christian and Jewish teachers from wearing Crosses or Stars of David.

Nice claim so prove it with links to quality sites.

As for prayers; before you argue, you must have facts.

I understand school hours are usually 8 until 3.
The only prayer time here is at about 1pm and that takes about 5 to 10 minutes.
It's acceptable to pray outside the set time if there is difficulty.

What time is lunch break?

As I said - a created issue designed to cause problems where none exist.

Schools to Allow Ramadan Prayer - NYTimes.com

Trying to find a lengthy article from a decade ago is difficult.

IIRC, when Christians demanded the same for during Christmas and Easter and Jews demanded it for Hannakah and Passover, the Chancellor withdrew policy.

Do Christians have to go to school on Sunday?

wtf??? If this doesn't open some eyes, I don't know what will.
No ten commandments on buildings. No prayer in school. Yet MUSLIMS get to do what we cannot????

It's official. The USA is fucked.

Oh, step off, syrenn. Christians can pray anytime they want. If you are suggesting that the Muslims are being accommodate unfairly, then the Christians can apply for the same accommodation. I would support that.

I won't hold my breath.

I did not say it is a legal religion, so I can't link to that. What I said is that atheism is a religion under the 1st Amendment.

The Supreme Court has recognized atheism as equivalent to a “religion” for purposes of the First Amendment on numerous occasions, most recently in McCreary County, Ky. v. American Civil Liberties Union of Ky., 545U.S. 844, 125 S.Ct. 2722, 162 L.Ed.2d 729 (2005).   The Establishment Clause itself says only that “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion,” but the Court understands the reference to religion to include what it often calls “nonreligion.”   In McCreary County, it described the touchstone of Establishment Clause analysis as “the principle that the First Amendment mandates government neutrality between religion and religion, and between religion and nonreligion.”  Id. at *10 (internal quotations omitted).   As the Court put it in Wallace v. Jaffree, 472 U.S. 38, 105 S.Ct. 2479, 86 L.Ed.2d 29 (1985):

on this though, this is rather weak that it would be an inmate saying he is a practicing atheist. The Judge got it wrong and was played. Atheism is not a religion.

Oh, step off, syrenn. Christians can pray anytime they want. If you are suggesting that the Muslims are being accommodate unfairly, then the Christians can apply for the same accommodation. I would support that.

you are missing my point

none of it should be accommodated. The chirstians should not be allowed to pray and the muslims should not be able to carry rugs.

"You can throw a Hail Mary at a public school football game, but you can't actually hail Mary. That distinction is at the heart of a flurry of incidents this fall in which public universities and high schools are being challenged for conducting prayers before football games. In recent months...."
Column: When faith and football don't mix

yet , they ban kids from Christian prayer . tell them to a moment of silence instead..

Do these count?

a. Six-year-old Zachary Hood was happy at this chance to be recognized for his good reading performance. He and the other students in the first-grade class at Haines School in Medford, New Jersey, would be allowed to read a story to their classmates. Zachary initially selected Dr. Suess's The Cat in the Hat, but decided that it was too long and picked a story about Jacob and Esau from The Beginner's Bible instead. … Unfortunately teacher Grace Oliva decided the story was inappropriate, since it has based on the Bible. She would not allow Zachary to read it to the students.

b. A teacher's aide in Indiana County filed a federal civil rights lawsuit yesterday against her employer, saying she was unfairly suspended from her job for a year without pay for refusing to remove a small cross she wears on a necklace. Suspended teacher's aide sues employer over wearing cross on necklace

c. “A Lewis-Palmer High School student who was told she must apologize for mentioning Jesus in a valedictorian speech or not receive a diploma…” Monument teen appeals over Jesus graduation speech - The Denver Post

You don't get the difference either do you?

a) If she allowed the use of a bible she would have to allow the use of all holy books. It also looks like the school is promoting the bible. The teacher was right.

b) Wearing a cross is promoting a religion, and where she is a ward of the state, she can not promote one religion over another. Good luck turning this one over.

c)Again Speech at a school function is showing a promotion of a religion over another. If this was a private gathering then she would have every right to say what she said.

Keep trying, you might be able to come up with something worth half a shit.

The Supreme Court has recognized atheism as equivalent to a “religion” for purposes of the First Amendment on numerous occasions, most recently in McCreary County, Ky. v. American Civil Liberties Union of Ky., 545U.S. 844, 125 S.Ct. 2722, 162 L.Ed.2d 729 (2005).   The Establishment Clause itself says only that “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion,” but the Court understands the reference to religion to include what it often calls “nonreligion.”   In McCreary County, it described the touchstone of Establishment Clause analysis as “the principle that the First Amendment mandates government neutrality between religion and religion, and between religion and nonreligion.”  Id. at *10 (internal quotations omitted).   As the Court put it in Wallace v. Jaffree, 472 U.S. 38, 105 S.Ct. 2479, 86 L.Ed.2d 29 (1985):
on this though, this is rather weak that it would be an inmate saying he is a practicing atheist. The Judge got it wrong and was played. Atheism is not a religion.

It wasn't a judge, idiot, it was a three judge panel of the appellate court, they cited two Supreme Court decisions to back up their position, and the decision was unanimous.

Want to try pretending you are smarter than the entire universe, or do you want to admit I actually got something right.

Do these count?

You don't get the difference either do you?

a) If she allowed the use of a bible she would have to allow the use of all holy books. It also looks like the school is promoting the bible. The teacher was right.

b) Wearing a cross is promoting a religion, and where she is a ward of the state, she can not promote one religion over another. Good luck turning this one over.

c)Again Speech at a school function is showing a promotion of a religion over another. If this was a private gathering then she would have every right to say what she said.

Keep trying, you might be able to come up with something worth half a shit.

You, as usual, missed the point.

1. The teacher was wrong because the assignment gave the student the choice.
  2. Children in foster care are wards of the state, teachers are not.
  3. Unless the school is controlling what is said they are not responsible for when students pray.
You should learn how the Lemon test works before you try to explain the results.

Do these count?

No they don't count because they didn't happen at the school in the OP.

Forum List

Back