Used electric car battery replacement

This is a loo loo.

Man that sucks balls, to buy a relatively new second hand electric car and only get to use it for 6 months and then lose the use of it, unless willing and able to pay for battery no longer made at exorbitant prices with no help from the manufacturer, not supporting their short life cycle auto design.

“[When] it comes to the gas prices, we’re going through an incredible transition that is taking place that, God willing, when it’s over, we’ll be stronger and the world will be stronger and less reliant on fossil fuels when this is over,” Biden said.

There is a possibility, electric cars may be the future. At this time buyers of new and used, need to be aware what they are getting into. This is not an isolated event. Personally, I cannot take the chance of being caught up in it, while manufacturers experiment with the technology.
2002, I bought a gasoline fueled Ford Explorer off the new car lot. It was modern, powerful, proven technology. 2011 after many Florida trips from TN, as well as extended mountain driving out west in the Rockies, I replaced the transmission a month after returning from the mountains for $3,000. I gave the car to my daughter, when I bought a new one in 2015. She put another hundred thousand miles on it, before having to replace the engine (perfect when I gave it) but, she failed to perform routine maintenance. We dropped a certified rebuilt engine in it for $2,500, including labor, and is driving it smoothly, dependably and paying attention to routine maintenance. That is a great car. That is what you can do with proven, long-lasting technology.
I am a retiree. She is a single mother. Certainly not hurting, but having no intention of taking the chance of taking a financial bath to the tune of $11,000 to $14,500 or more on technology, barely out of factory warranty and design, that pretty well rules out average mechanics. They will simply have to experiment with their technology and financial gambles with somebody else.

The original owner dumped the car because they saw the battery degradation... An unwitting person, ignorant of these things, like most democrats, bought it only to find out they got the shaft... Gives new meaning to the word LEMON... and is about as useful as CNN's Don Lemon...

Man that sucks balls, to buy a relatively new second hand electric car and only get to use it for 6 months and then lose the use of it, unless willing and able to pay for battery no longer made at exorbitant prices with no help from the manufacturer, not supporting their short life cycle auto design.

What SUCKS is the lack of effort by the Biden Administration to insure that EV car buyers are properly and fully educated informed of the real cost and availability of parts. To pay $11,000 for a used car with only 60,000 miles on it that looks new and not even get a six month warranty. To not be able to take a used EV to a dealership and get a battery test done that would have SHOWN the battery was on its last legs. To have a Ford Dealership tell you that you can get a new battery for $14K when none are even made anymore. Then to offer only $500 on the car.

When you buy an EV car, what you are really buying is THE BATTERY. The battery is the whole car, the rest of it is just seats for passengers and a steering wheel to guide your way and a few motors to apply the current to the wheels.

An EV car is a car good for only 10 years; at that point, a used EV car is essentially WORTHLESS and owning an EV long term means at present investing between $3,000 to $9,000 per YEAR depending on model for upkeep, as many current TESLA owners will find when their new battery reaches old age in a decade are likely to find either no battery replacement for it or a battery costing $30,000 + installation labor.

What SUCKS is the lack of effort by the Biden Administration to insure that EV car buyers are properly and fully educated informed of the real cost and availability of parts. To pay $11,000 for a used car with only 60,000 miles on it that looks new and not even get a six month warranty. To not be able to take a used EV to a dealership and get a battery test done that would have SHOWN the battery was on its last legs. To have a Ford Dealership tell you that you can get a new battery for $14K when none are even made anymore. Then to offer only $500 on the car.

When you buy an EV car, what you are really buying is THE BATTERY. The battery is the whole car, the rest of it is just seats for passengers and a steering wheel to guide your way and a few motors to apply the current to the wheels.

An EV car is a car good for only 10 years; at that point, a used EV car is essentially WORTHLESS and owning an EV long term means at present investing between $3,000 to $9,000 per YEAR depending on model for upkeep, as many current TESLA owners will find when their new battery reaches old age in a decade are likely to find either no battery replacement for it or a battery costing $30,000 + installation labor.
You mean, that is a government function, not an industry function? When was the last time in your life, you looked up a US government evaluation on your car purchasing decisions, other than noting any possible tax advantages, in place to encourage new technologies? Consumers must evaluate the offerings in the market place, in terms of needs, expectations, and financial impact. I know, I do.

And Biden and his handlers are draining the bank accounts now, through gas prices and inflation, of the people whose money to pay for these new vehicles, won't be there.

You mean, that is a government function, not an industry function?

If everyone could trust industry to do the right things, we wouldn't need government regulations, now, would we?

Biden is pushing the country into EV cars and the damn things are a total loss the minute you drive one out the door without any battery infrastructure to support them, no practical way of maintaining them other than standing around waiting for one to charge enough to get you home, obviously, no consumer protections, and without any prospect of an electric grid able to SUPPORT a fully electric nation at a time when hydro-power is dwindling due to scarcity of rainfall!

I'll bet you anything that Joe Biden and Kammy don't even have EVs for themselves.

DEMOCRATS: All talk, no results.

If everyone could trust industry to do the right things, we wouldn't need government regulations, now, would we?

Biden is pushing the country into EV cars and the damn things are a total loss the minute you drive one out the door without any battery infrastructure to support them, no practical way of maintaining them other than standing around waiting for one to charge enough to get you home, obviously, no consumer protections, and without any prospect of an electric grid able to SUPPORT a fully electric nation at a time when hydro-power is dwindling due to scarcity of rainfall!

I'll bet you anything that Joe Biden and Kammy don't even have EVs for themselves.

DEMOCRATS: All talk, no results.
I have not seen the new electric bulletproof limousine hit the market yet. I did not even know the General Services administration was looking for one. I am pretty sure, the Pres and VP are not allowed to drive around in anything on the road, that does not meet General Services security standards and protection.

It is the industry that government is forcing this on, not the other way. I read they are producing a limited line, by order online. Hell, it already is known there isn't enough grid capacity plus not enough lithium for batteries.

But, nonetheless, they plow ahead with their brain dead agenda.

I have not seen the new electric bulletproof limousine hit the market yet. I did not even know the General Services administration was looking for one. I am pretty sure, the Pres and VP are not allowed to drive around in anything on the road, that does not meet General Services security standards and protection.

giggle.gif
You're deflecting. They still needed cars before serving in the WH and they will be out of there again in another year or two. I bet there ain't a single EV between the two of them.

Yeah, that never happens to a second hand purchase of a combustion engine.

If it is an internal combustion engine, it does not cost $14,500 or more plus labor to drop another engine in, unless talking about a race car engine. Oh, and most anybody can do it.

If it is an internal combustion engine, it does not cost $14,500 or more plus labor to drop another engine in, unless talking about a race car engine. Oh, and most anybody can do it.
I've replace two engines in my lifetime both were around $4,000 for parts and labor.

I replaced my first one because the heater core plugged and I ended up getting rust in the block. Since it was a vehicle I never intend to sell I replaced the engine so I wouldn't have to keep dealing with coolant issues because of the rust.

The second engine I replaced was my son's and he was super hard on it. Lot's of 4 wheeling and high revs.

I've replace two engines in my lifetime both were around $4,000 for parts and labor.
Got a deal on a certified rebuilt Ford V-6 for my daughter's explorer. She was out the door for $2,800, labor included. Motor came on a pallet out of Florida. It has been perfect, more than a year now. Waited over a month for it to come in, her using one of my cars, but it was well worth it.
You won't get a Electric Car Battery or motor system for anything approaching that, and certainly not for an SUV from the early 2000s years.

Forum List

Back