Used electric car battery replacement

Got a deal on a certified rebuilt Ford V-6 for my daughter's explorer. She was out the door for $2,800, labor included. Motor came on a pallet out of Florida. It has been perfect, more than a year now. Waited over a month for it to come in, her using one of my cars, but it was well worth it.
You won't get a Electric Car Battery or motor system for anything approaching that, and certainly not for an SUV from the early 2000s years.
Now I am angry. Thanks a lot.

Got a deal on a certified rebuilt Ford V-6 for my daughter's explorer. She was out the door for $2,800, labor included. Motor came on a pallet out of Florida. It has been perfect, more than a year now. Waited over a month for it to come in, her using one of my cars, but it was well worth it.
You won't get a Electric Car Battery or motor system for anything approaching that, and certainly not for an SUV from the early 2000s years.
How much can I get for a horse and buggy?

Last Quote I had for an engine was about $2,600 for a used one installed and $3,600 for a new one installed by the garage. I ended up just replacing the vehicle. I miss the old Buick. It just wasn't worth it as old as it was to put that much into it. That car had amazing acceleration.

Car batteries
EV’s made practical

I think there is a second solution to the recharging problem.

Instead of spending hours recharging your car battery, why not just exchange the battery pack with a recharged one?
The current gas service stations could dig up the huge fuel tanks and replace this space with automated racks of charged battery packs.
The car drives into a narrow space like today’s drive-through car washing stations.

I think this would be a simple solution to a huge problem.
The turnaround time should be about as long as it took to fill the tank of a conventional car gas tank.
:)-

Car batteries
EV’s made practical

Instead of spending hours recharging your car battery, why not just exchange the battery pack with a recharged one?
The current gas service stations could dig up the huge fuel tanks and replace this space with automated racks of charged battery packs.
The car drives into a narrow space like today’s drive-through car washing stations.

The turnaround time should be about as long as it took to fill the tank of a conventional car gas tank.
All fine and dandy up until someone drops a defective pack and you get stuck with it... Yep rotating the packs won't work and the chance you stuck with a POS is huge... You willing to pay 15 to 25 grand for the new pack each time you use this "station"??

All fine and dandy up until someone drops a defective pack and you get stuck with it... Yep rotating the packs won't work and the chance you stuck with a POS is huge... You willing to pay 15 to 25 grand for the new pack each time you use this "station"??
Incorrect charging practices with lithium batteries can be more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

Car batteries
EV’s made practical

I've said that. Plug in, identical, universal EV batteries that can be swapped out in a few minutes like changing the battery in a remote. The only problem being that they are NOT universal, making the batteries hot swappable would add to the cost of the car, and at $20,000 a battery, I don't think many stations will have a dozen of these things waiting around all charged up ready to go much less willing to take in batteries of unknown age and quality for ones good as new.

EVs are exciting and promising, but the entire industry is built upon a lie using technology just barely becoming adequate for the affluent while still not addressing the fact that we don't have a grid anywhere near able to supply so much electricity for millions of EVs charging all the times.

How would you like to go to the station tonight to gas up to leave on a trip in the morning only to be told you need to come back tomorrow between the time of this and that to then sit around for an hour or two charging missing the trip?

There is a possibility, electric cars may be the future. At this time buyers of new and used, need to be aware what they are getting into. This is not an isolated event. Personally, I cannot take the chance of being caught up in it, while manufacturers experiment with the technology.
2002, I bought a gasoline fueled Ford Explorer off the new car lot. It was modern, powerful, proven technology. 2011 after many Florida trips from TN, as well as extended mountain driving out west in the Rockies, I replaced the transmission a month after returning from the mountains for $3,000. I gave the car to my daughter, when I bought a new one in 2015. She put another hundred thousand miles on it, before having to replace the engine (perfect when I gave it) but, she failed to perform routine maintenance. We dropped a certified rebuilt engine in it for $2,500, including labor, and is driving it smoothly, dependably and paying attention to routine maintenance. That is a great car. That is what you can do with proven, long-lasting technology.
I am a retiree. She is a single mother. Certainly not hurting, but having no intention of taking the chance of taking a financial bath to the tune of $11,000 to $14,500 or more on technology, barely out of factory warranty and design, that pretty well rules out average mechanics. They will simply have to experiment with their technology and financial gambles with somebody else.
Just a note.
Our friend got burned on a 2016 Ford Explorer for a waterpump that costs 4,500 bucks to replace.
It is internally mounted and tied directly to the timing chain and leaked fluid into her engine when it failed. Ford was forced to redesign it after a lawsuit around 2018...
Video on a thread I did last month.

I've said that. Plug in, identical, universal EV batteries that can be swapped out in a few minutes like changing the battery in a remote. The only problem being that they are NOT universal, making the batteries hot swappable would add to the cost of the car, and at $20,000 a battery, I don't think many stations will have a dozen of these things waiting around all charged up ready to go much less willing to take in batteries of unknown age and quality for ones good as new.

EVs are exciting and promising, but the entire industry is built upon a lie using technology just barely becoming adequate for the affluent while still not addressing the fact that we don't have a grid anywhere near able to supply so much electricity for millions of EVs charging all the times.

How would you like to go to the station tonight to gas up to leave on a trip in the morning only to be told you need to come back tomorrow between the time of this and that to then sit around for an hour or two charging missing the trip?
It's unlikely that the battery for something the size of a Cooper Mini is going to be swappable with the battery for something the size of a Ford Expedition.

It's unlikely that the battery for something the size of a Cooper Mini is going to be swappable with the battery for something the size of a Ford Expedition.

Well, you're not an engineer, you don't understand. The EV batteries ought to be made modular like power packs so that while the Cooper maybe takes ONE battery pack, the Expedition takes TWO.

In order to make EV technology really work, this is along the lines people ought to be thinking rather than each car or brand having and needing its own special built packs, and they needing elaborate installation.

Like the girl who bought a $12,000 used EV only to find out now a year later she not only needs a $20,000 battery (plus installation labor), but that FORD DOES NOT EVEN OFFER IT ANYMORE.

Well, you're not an engineer, you don't understand.
I am an engineer and I do understand.
The EV batteries ought to be made modular like power packs so that while the Cooper maybe takes ONE battery pack, the Expedition takes TWO.
Good idea.
In order to make EV technology really work, this is along the lines people ought to be thinking rather than each car or brand having and needing its own special built packs, and they needing elaborate installation.
Or indeed, like Tesla, making the battery an integral portion of the structural frame of the vehicle.
Like the girl who bought a $12,000 used EV only to find out now a year later she not only needs a $20,000 battery (plus installation labor), but that FORD DOES NOT EVEN OFFER IT ANYMORE.
I am quite certain an analogous situation could occur with ICE-powered vehicles. I have a 2010 LG refrigerator with a broken door shelf I can't replace. The manufacturer no longer makes ANY parts for that fridge. Should we abandon the whole idea of refrigerators?

I am an engineer and I do understand.
Good.

Or indeed, like Tesla, making the battery an integral portion of the structural frame of the vehicle.
Really? Terrible idea but I suppose the best way to keep cost down. EV technology is just getting off the ground, the batteries need to be made universal and hot swappable, like shoving an 8-track into a slot using an anti-theft system requiring a keycode supplied both by the repairman AND the owner, and the batteries need to be intelligent so that the car can run continuous diagnostics on the cells, detect problems, rate life, give the driver an estimate of its health, and sense a problem and cut power and even alert the owner away from the car, so that if a problem or defect is detected, only THAT part of the battery needs replace!

Forum List

Back