USMB Coffee Shop III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quelle est la date aujourd'hui?

Nous sommes le dix-septiéme Avril, mon ami. En plus, il semble que nous avons devenues français ici à la café.

Tant pis, Stats. :D

I haven't taken French since high-school. It's the 17 of April 2014 and we're speaking English here in the coffee shop. Too bad, but it's not a cafe. Maybe there isn't a French word for coffee shop?

Sure there is: Le Café-restaurant

Nous sommes le dix-septiéme Avril, mon ami. En plus, il semble que nous avons devenues français ici à la café.

I haven't taken French since high-school. It's the 17 of April 2014 and we're speaking English here in the coffee shop. Too bad, but it's not a cafe. Maybe there isn't a French word for coffee shop?

There is -- café. :confused:

You gotta remember, French (like most languages) has a lot fewer words than we do, so a lot of words to double duty. The same word means both the brown stuff you drink and the shop you drink it in.

Last edited:
A few months ago I decided to clear out all my junk. It ended up being two van loads,
and I still have five old computers I could not bring myself to throw away.

I can so relate Dajjal. There is so much stuff in this house that we need to throw away or give away, but we always have in the back of our mind that we might need that and then we wouldn't have it. But if you can clean or remove the hard drives from those old computers, I presume the U.K. is no different than here--there are lots of folks who would love to have them to raid for parts or use the cases or use for training of personnel, etc. Good Will here, for instance, will take all kinds of stuff like that.

i dread retiring, because i have no idea how i will part with all of this stuff i absolutely do not need.

I have always lived in fear of eviction from my flat, because the landlords could get more money. But they just put the rent up by £15 pounds a week so they are probably happier now.
Because if I ever have to move it will probably be the death of me. I have a junk room which still has a load of old computers and stuff, then I have my library, which is a room full of books, from wall to wall and floor to ceiling. I would crack under the strain of trying to pack all that up. Then I have my bedroom which has two working computers and two televisions. Not to mention the kitchen, which is where I stashed a lot of my paintings.

Last edited:

je ne parle pas francais

Ah, c'est le old baitez-et-switchez alors. Merde. (<< posted in Canadian)

Well your question was perfectly rendered so I responded in kind. I said "it is (lit. 'we are') the seventeenth of April my friend. Furthermore it seems we have gone French here in the coffee shop. Too bad, Stats."

Last edited:

You gotta remember, French (like most languages) has a lot fewer words than we do, so a lot of words to double duty. The same word means both the brown stuff you drink and the shop you drink it in.
Believe it or not, I've seen "Le Coffee Shop" used as well.

i dread retiring, because i have no idea how i will part with all of this stuff i absolutely do not need.
Foxfyre urged me at least years before I did retire to do it, telling me it was certainly for the best.

She is absolutely correct. I wondered a year what would I do and would I adjust easily.

Spoonman, it took me three minutes, and I have not looked back at all.

We are having a blast.

Absolutely -- French incorporates a lot of English words. You might go faire le camping on le week-end, if you can find le parking... you know whatever's ... a propos.

Last edited:
Yes, the important thing here, is for Foxy to do what she is comfortable with. That in itself, is the first step in the right direction.

But. . . .not to belabor the point, but again I think the important thing is to have a place that everybody who wants a place like the Coffee Shop is comfortable with.

We've obviously missed that mark now and then because of some who wouldn't come in here on a bet and who have said some unkind things about those of us who do come to the Coffee Shop, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't the fault of the Coffee Shop. I've called out a few folks who dishonestly misrepresented us elsewhere, but oh well. The fact is everybody isn't going to love everybody, and some just won't 'get it' I guess. I don't know. I'm just appreciative of everybody here, value each and every one of you, and am amazed that we're approaching our fourth anniversary.

It's all good. :)

here is an interesting perspective. there are people here who i have gotten to know pretty well in the CS. We get to know each other as people. We have totally different political views and on some subjects are probably on the opposite spectrum even. but, on the political boards, while we may be disagreeable, we are at least civil, and never carry any baggage away from the disagreements. and that's because we get to know each other as people, not as just political pundits.
Absolutely. Same here. I behave on the board as I would with colleagues, neighbors, or friends. My friends and neighbors consist of both conservatives and liberals, and even when discussing politics, we always remain civil. It's silly to argue about differing opinions whether it be sports, politics, or other topics.

Once again, I sit, corrected. :D

But. . . .not to belabor the point, but again I think the important thing is to have a place that everybody who wants a place like the Coffee Shop is comfortable with.

We've obviously missed that mark now and then because of some who wouldn't come in here on a bet and who have said some unkind things about those of us who do come to the Coffee Shop, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't the fault of the Coffee Shop. I've called out a few folks who dishonestly misrepresented us elsewhere, but oh well. The fact is everybody isn't going to love everybody, and some just won't 'get it' I guess. I don't know. I'm just appreciative of everybody here, value each and every one of you, and am amazed that we're approaching our fourth anniversary.

It's all good. :)

here is an interesting perspective. there are people here who i have gotten to know pretty well in the CS. We get to know each other as people. We have totally different political views and on some subjects are probably on the opposite spectrum even. but, on the political boards, while we may be disagreeable, we are at least civil, and never carry any baggage away from the disagreements. and that's because we get to know each other as people, not as just political pundits.
Absolutely. Same here. I behave on the board as I would with colleagues, neighbors, or friends. My friends and neighbors consist of both conservatives and liberals, and even when discussing politics, we always remain civil. It's silly to argue about differing opinions whether it be sports, politics, or other topics.

Agreed.

Well, except for sports... :evil:

Once again, I sit, corrected. :D

C'est pas grave. You're on the west coast, which means I have the advantage of being a lot closer to France. :coffee:

je ne parle pas francais

Ah, c'est le old baitez-et-switchez alors. Merde. (<< posted in Canadian)

Well your question was perfectly rendered so I responded in kind. I said "it is (lit. 'we are') the seventeenth of April my friend. Furthermore it seems we have gone French here in the coffee shop. Too bad, Stats."

C'est la guerre

A few months ago I decided to clear out all my junk. It ended up being two van loads,
and I still have five old computers I could not bring myself to throw away.

I can so relate Dajjal. There is so much stuff in this house that we need to throw away or give away, but we always have in the back of our mind that we might need that and then we wouldn't have it. But if you can clean or remove the hard drives from those old computers, I presume the U.K. is no different than here--there are lots of folks who would love to have them to raid for parts or use the cases or use for training of personnel, etc. Good Will here, for instance, will take all kinds of stuff like that.

Just because you retire you don't have to.

But years ago after we became empty-nesters, Hombre and I had our midlife crisis and decided to make a huge life change. We put our very large bilevel home on the market, and sold everything in it that we could possibly bear to part with at a huge garage sale. We pared ourselves down to comfortably fit into a fairly small 2-bedroom apartment in Albuquerque.

After a year here and we had decided to stay, we bought the house out on the mountain--roughly 1100 sq ft plus an attached double garage and a large storage building out back. By the time we left there, the house and shed were filled to overflowing when we moved back into town into our current 2000 sq ft home plus attached oversize double garage and a closed in back porch area.

And now that is overflowing everywhere.

We are hopeless packrats but we didn't feel like we had to pare down again after we retired. But now I am just wanting to get rid of all the clutter just to make the place easier to maintain.

Last edited:
i will have to because the home we are retirning to is modest. 2 bedroom, living room, dining room, den kitchen and all season room and a laundry room. good closet space but a fraction of what we have now. the house we have now is 6 berdoom, office, living room family room, kitchen, dining room and a full finished basement with a separate workshop, gym and laundry room. i also have two sheds, 14 x 16 and 24 x 12, plus a 10 x 12 and a 14 x 18 shed and two garages on the property next door. There is no way i could fit even a quarter of my stuff in the shore house.

but the choice we have made is to simplify. plus, i really won't have the need for a lot of the stuff that i do use now.

Just because you retire you don't have to.

But years ago after we became empty-nesters, Hombre and I had our midlife crisis and decided to make a huge life change. We put our very large bilevel home on the market, and sold everything in it that we could possibly bear to part with at a huge garage sale. We pared ourselves down to comfortably fit into a fairly small 2-bedroom apartment in Albuquerque.

After a year here and we had decided to stay, we bought the house out on the mountain--roughly 1100 sq ft plus an attached double garage and a large storage building out back. By the time we left there, the house and shed were filled to overflowing when we moved back into town into our current 2000 sq ft home plus attached oversize double garage and a closed in back porch area.

And now that is overflowing everywhere.

We are hopeless packrats but we didn't feel like we had to pare down again after we retired. But now I am just wanting to get rid of all the clutter just to make the place easier to maintain.

Oh, packrats. Lemme look in my family tree, we could be related...

:lol:

Absolutely -- French incorporates a lot of English words. You might go faire le camping on le week-end, if you can find le parking... you know whatever's ... a propos.
This reminds me of the French quarter in New Orleans! Very unique place, and definitely a must visit for those who haven't been there.

Here's an example that I found of French incorporating English words or vise-versa:
streetsign1.JPG

i will have to because the home we are retirning to is modest. 2 bedroom, living room, dining room, den kitchen and all season room and a laundry room. good closet space but a fraction of what we have now. the house we have now is 6 berdoom, office, living room family room, kitchen, dining room and a full finished basement with a separate workshop, gym and laundry room. i also have two sheds, 14 x 16 and 24 x 12, plus a 10 x 12 and a 14 x 18 shed and two garages on the property next door. There is no way i could fit even a quarter of my stuff in the shore house.

but the choice we have made is to simplify. plus, i really won't have the need for a lot of the stuff that i do use now.

Place we have now is relatively small, 3 bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms, 1600 sq feet. But we have the attic space and the back patio which gives us storage and outdoor living for at least half of the year.

Yes, we have too much stuff and we need to get rid of some of it but I keep refusing because I know if I do Mrs Te is just going to find something to fill it up with again. So I am not going to do anything until we do retire and then I am considering an RV. Just move around like a rolling stone. No hurry to get anywhere and a whole big continent to explore.

Trouble is Mrs Te doesn't like that idea either. So I guess we are just going to have see what transpires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back