USMB Coffee Shop III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was having a debate with my mother earlier when I visited, and I want to ask you all for your honest opinion. Do you think the Rohirrim of Lord of the Rings more closely resemble Vikings or Mongols?

The legend always compares them to the Vikings. Since I've never seriously compared the Vikings to the Mongols, I'll go with the Vikings. :)

Thank God!:lol:
Finally someone who agrees with me!
Did you know, you are the first person I have met who agrees with me on this?:lol:

I also agree that they are compared to Vikings.
So now you have two :D

Oh, Sonic has them? I've never been there either. I lived in a very small town for the past ten years and didn't have any of these places.

There's Sonics all over the place here in Colorado but since I hate to eat in a car/truck and their "background" music is near concert volume, making sitting at one of the outside tables mind numbing, I'll have to forgo any opportunity to sample their offerings.

I used to think it was so easy to stop at fast food places but since I lived back there, it was just as easy to fix something at home. Now I'm in the habit and just usually eat here unless we're invited out somewhere nice. We change as we get older. :D

There are a lot of good restaurants we would go to on occasion except that we are not their target "audience" based on the high decibel levels their speaker units emit. I like to be able to not only hear my dining partner(s) but I'd like to be able to hear myself think.........

The legend always compares them to the Vikings. Since I've never seriously compared the Vikings to the Mongols, I'll go with the Vikings. :)

Thank God!:lol:
Finally someone who agrees with me!
Did you know, you are the first person I have met who agrees with me on this?:lol:

Well you have to really stretch to find correlations, but the Mongols were into empire building and bringing the whole world as they knew it under their authority. The Vikings not so much, but they were warriors, adventurers, and playful in their personal lives, as were the Rohirrim. I see the Rohirrim's attachment to horses as was the Vikings to their ships. So if Tolkien had either in mind when he created the Rohirrim, I'm pretty sure he was thinking of the Vikings.

"Ye Olde Viking Rohoirrim Mongol Koffe Shoppe!!!"

:rofl:

Oh, Sonic has them? I've never been there either. I lived in a very small town for the past ten years and didn't have any of these places.

There's Sonics all over the place here in Colorado but since I hate to eat in a car/truck and their "background" music is near concert volume, making sitting at one of the outside tables mind numbing, I'll have to forgo any opportunity to sample their offerings.

I used to think it was so easy to stop at fast food places but since I lived back there, it was just as easy to fix something at home. Now I'm in the habit and just usually eat here unless we're invited out somewhere nice. We change as we get older. :D

We sure do. I'll bet in the last five years I've only had fast food twice. That was a whopper from bk.

Last edited:

We sure do. I'll bet in the last five years I've only had fast food twice. That was a whopper from bk.

I used to like fish from Long John Silver but I picked some up recently and it just wasn't very good.

I think BBD does. :scared1:

:hellno:

You folks need some serious help in your kitchens... Just saying.:eek:

Do you like bean soup? I prefer that to pea soup.

I love black bean soup!

Black_bean_soup.jpg

Tolkien patterned the Rohirrim after a conglomerate of two groups, the ancient Anglo-Saxons and the Ostrogoths, a Germanic tribe that dominated eastern Europe during the late Roman period and were renowned people of the horse.
Tolkien was an acclaimed professor of Anglo-Saxon and his aim in writing the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy was to create a uniquely "English" mythology.
The names, habitat and culture of the Rohirrim are decidedly Anglo-Saxon and their equestrian abilities Ostrogoth in nature. The Anglo-Saxons and Ostrogoths were Germanic in origin.

Last edited:
Tolkien patterned the Rohirrim after a conglomerate of two groups, the ancient Anglo-Saxons and the Ostrogoths, a Germanic tribe that dominated eastern Europe during the late Roman period and were renowned people of the horse.
Tolkien was an acclaimed professor of Anglo-Saxon and his aim in writing the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy was to create a uniquely "English" mythology.
The names, habitat and culture of the Rohirrim are decidedly Anglo-Saxon and their equestrian abilities Ostrogoth in nature. The Anglo-Saxons and Ostrogoths were Germanic in origin.

Yes. As I said, you have to really streeeeeeeeeetch to find a correlation between the Rohirrim and the Vikings or the Mongols. But. . . . the question was not which group were the Rohirrim patterned after, which obviously was neither, but which one were the Rohirrim most like. And I could see some similarities with the Vikings; with the Mongols not so much.

Interesting observation re their actual 'origin' though.

Last edited:
Morning, sort of. It's dark out, I better check the forecast.

Never mind. Room darkening shades ftw!

My neighbors did a prank on me many years ago. I've been planning to get even for a long time. I have to wait for their little dog to pass. Then I'm going to cover all their windows in black plastic while they are sleeping so they'll wonder what's going on in the morning.

I hope they don't have a two story house......:D

Yes. As I said, you have to really streeeeeeeeeetch to find a correlation between the Rohirrim and the Vikings or the Mongols. But. . . . the question was not which group were the Rohirrim patterned after, which obviously was neither, but which one were the Rohirrim most like. And I could see some similarities with the Vikings; with the Mongols not so much.

Interesting observation re their actual 'origin' though.

The debate still rages among some who really care one way or the other as Tolkien never said who he patterned them after.
Knowing Tolkien's background, what he was trying to do with these books, the correlations between cultures (not to mention armor, language and habitat, etc) it's almost a given that his model was the Anglo-Saxon/Ostrogoth peoples. Almost a given which is why some still claim Viking origins. As for the mongol connection....... I have no idea which clueless moron came up with that one.

I know what you mean. No matter how I fry the tater tots, they never taste as good as those at Sonic. I'll bet it's the oil though. We don't use peanut oil in our home.

Sonic has both fries and tater tots, but I get fries at the other fast food restaurants, so I usually have the tater tots at Sonic.

I get the fried onion rings (at Sonic) ....french fries fill me up too quick. I usually end up leaving most of them behind.

I know what you mean. No matter how I fry the tater tots, they never taste as good as those at Sonic. I'll bet it's the oil though. We don't use peanut oil in our home.

I actually like their carside service. When on my lunch break from work, and I have my laptop with me, I could work as I eat in my truck, or catch up on my work email, or even get on USMB. :D

I think BBD does. :scared1:

I'm pretty eclectic in my diet and, since retirement, have really been doing a lot of experimenting with various cuisines and gourmet cooking--trying to reproduce the restaurant quality dishes you see in the cooking competitions, etc.

But I gotta join in solidarity with BBD on the pea soup folks. It doesn't look good to me. It doesn't smell good to me. It doesn't sound good to me. I'm not gonna eat it. :)

There's a restaurant in California call the Pea Soup Andersen's...(seriously) - close to Lompoc, Ca - and they have the best Pea Soup. A cup of soup with a sandwich is not so bad, I remember it was delicious.

Sonic has both fries and tater tots, but I get fries at the other fast food restaurants, so I usually have the tater tots at Sonic.

I get the fried onion rings (at Sonic) ....french fries fill me up too quick. I usually end up leaving most of them behind.
I usually get my onion rings at Burger King. The onion rings at Sonic are good, but I find their tots are better. Not to mention their bacon and double cheese burger, it's a tad greasy, but it is real good. :D

I usually get my onion rings at Burger King. The onion rings at Sonic are good, but I find their tots are better. Not to mention their bacon and double cheese burger, it's a tad greasy, but it is real good. :D

Why do I trust your judgement so much about burgers? :D

I'm pretty eclectic in my diet and, since retirement, have really been doing a lot of experimenting with various cuisines and gourmet cooking--trying to reproduce the restaurant quality dishes you see in the cooking competitions, etc.

But I gotta join in solidarity with BBD on the pea soup folks. It doesn't look good to me. It doesn't smell good to me. It doesn't sound good to me. I'm not gonna eat it. :)

I like your ruggedness on this issue, Foxfyre!!!

Gotta tell you a story:

when my Mom and Dad split up, I lived with my Dad for about a year before going to my mom's. And during that time, since my dad really couldn't cook, my paternal grandparents cooked a lot for us. And every Tuesday night was dinner night at Grandma and Grandpa's in Middletown, Ohio. And every Tuesday night was "Brussel Sprouts literally doused in butter" night. Horror, oh horror.

I hated Brussel Sprouts. They looked like alien creatures I once saw in a sci-fy film at the ripe old age of 5 or so and by G-d, I was NOT gonna eat those Brussel Sprouts, nosiree.

Well, my Grandma made me, but the butter always made me sick to my stomach. And I usually got rid of those brussel sprouts in the bathrooom right after dinner.

It took almost 40 years to get over the trauma of a Brussel Sprouts from outer space.

Nowadays, I love em!!!

So, Foxy, eat yer split-pea soup!!!

:lol:

I used to hate Brussel Sprouts....but I found a recipe for them - "Roasted Brussel Sprouts" with pecans....I love them now...and fix them quite often. Mr Mertex didn't like them, but it was his idea (found the recipe on the internet) and wanted me to fix them....he found out they are really good for you (especially for men - prevent prostate cancer)......so I did, and we've been eating them regularly since.

Brussels Sprouts Defend against All Types of Cancer

Roasted Brussels Sprouts With Pecans | Real Simple Recipes

Why do I trust your judgement so much about burgers? :D
So long as it's just my judgment. You wouldn't want to trust me with your burgers though. When it comes to food, I don't even trust myself. :badgrin:

YUP! That's how it's best...bread has to be toasted, though.

I used to love peanut butter on toast. Now, I put a tad on a cracker and have several of those...:dunno: I like the crunch. I hear the hazelnut butter spread ( can't remember the name of it ) is delicious, so I have neglected buying it. I hear it is addictive...:eek:

Nutella? No, no. Stay far away from Nutella.

Yes!! That's the one...:lol: I will heed your suggestion...:D

I like your ruggedness on this issue, Foxfyre!!!

Gotta tell you a story:

when my Mom and Dad split up, I lived with my Dad for about a year before going to my mom's. And during that time, since my dad really couldn't cook, my paternal grandparents cooked a lot for us. And every Tuesday night was dinner night at Grandma and Grandpa's in Middletown, Ohio. And every Tuesday night was "Brussel Sprouts literally doused in butter" night. Horror, oh horror.

I hated Brussel Sprouts. They looked like alien creatures I once saw in a sci-fy film at the ripe old age of 5 or so and by G-d, I was NOT gonna eat those Brussel Sprouts, nosiree.

Well, my Grandma made me, but the butter always made me sick to my stomach. And I usually got rid of those brussel sprouts in the bathrooom right after dinner.

It took almost 40 years to get over the trauma of a Brussel Sprouts from outer space.

Nowadays, I love em!!!

So, Foxy, eat yer split-pea soup!!!

:lol:

I used to hate Brussel Sprouts....but I found a recipe for them - "Roasted Brussel Sprouts" with pecans....I love them now...and fix them quite often. Mr Mertex didn't like them, but it was his idea (found the recipe on the internet) and wanted me to fix them....he found out they are really good for you (especially for men - prevent prostate cancer)......so I did, and we've been eating them regularly since.

Brussels Sprouts Defend against All Types of Cancer

Roasted Brussels Sprouts With Pecans | Real Simple Recipes

You know what, Mertex? I am gonna give that recipe a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back