USMB Coffee Shop III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty eclectic in my diet and, since retirement, have really been doing a lot of experimenting with various cuisines and gourmet cooking--trying to reproduce the restaurant quality dishes you see in the cooking competitions, etc.

But I gotta join in solidarity with BBD on the pea soup folks. It doesn't look good to me. It doesn't smell good to me. It doesn't sound good to me. I'm not gonna eat it. :)

I like your ruggedness on this issue, Foxfyre!!!

Gotta tell you a story:

when my Mom and Dad split up, I lived with my Dad for about a year before going to my mom's. And during that time, since my dad really couldn't cook, my paternal grandparents cooked a lot for us. And every Tuesday night was dinner night at Grandma and Grandpa's in Middletown, Ohio. And every Tuesday night was "Brussel Sprouts literally doused in butter" night. Horror, oh horror.

I hated Brussel Sprouts. They looked like alien creatures I once saw in a sci-fy film at the ripe old age of 5 or so and by G-d, I was NOT gonna eat those Brussel Sprouts, nosiree.

Well, my Grandma made me, but the butter always made me sick to my stomach. And I usually got rid of those brussel sprouts in the bathrooom right after dinner.

It took almost 40 years to get over the trauma of a Brussel Sprouts from outer space.

Nowadays, I love em!!!

So, Foxy, eat yer split-pea soup!!!

:lol:

I used to hate Brussel Sprouts....but I found a recipe for them - "Roasted Brussel Sprouts" with pecans....I love them now...and fix them quite often. Mr Mertex didn't like them, but it was his idea (found the recipe on the internet) and wanted me to fix them....he found out they are really good for you (especially for men - prevent prostate cancer)......so I did, and we've been eating them regularly since.

Brussels Sprouts Defend against All Types of Cancer

Roasted Brussels Sprouts With Pecans | Real Simple Recipes
Love Brussel Sprouts, eat them with vinegar.

Last edited:
Tater tots were a good invention.

The next worst thing in the world besides split pea soup is something called Tater Tot Casserole.:puke:

This I agree with. Tater tots in their natural form is the only way to go :D.

Remember the old joke.. What did you have for lunch? Pea green soup. What did you have for dinner? Pea green soup. What did ya do all night ? ..... :badgrin:

I thought that came from asparagus. I love this place...we can even talk about the color of our pee.:D

I used to think it was so easy to stop at fast food places but since I lived back there, it was just as easy to fix something at home. Now I'm in the habit and just usually eat here unless we're invited out somewhere nice. We change as we get older. :D

We sure do. I'll bet in the last five years I've only had fast food twice. That was a whopper from bk.

I used to like fish from Long John Silver but I picked some up recently and it just wasn't very good.

our taste buds totally change. its amazing how many thinks I used to love I can't tolerate now.

The next worst thing in the world besides split pea soup is something called Tater Tot Casserole.:puke:

Remember the old joke.. What did you have for lunch? Pea green soup. What did you have for dinner? Pea green soup. What did ya do all night ? ..... :badgrin:

I thought that came from asparagus. I love this place...we can even talk about the color of our pee.:D

It turns greenish when you take B Complex. I can't remember which one causes this.

It turns greenish when you take B Complex. I can't remember which one causes this.

B12 and B6 will make it extremely yellow

Gotta tell you a story:

when my Mom and Dad split up, I lived with my Dad for about a year before going to my mom's. And during that time, since my dad really couldn't cook, my paternal grandparents cooked a lot for us. And every Tuesday night was dinner night at Grandma and Grandpa's in Middletown, Ohio. And every Tuesday night was "Brussel Sprouts literally doused in butter" night. Horror, oh horror.

I hated Brussel Sprouts. They looked like alien creatures I once saw in a sci-fy film at the ripe old age of 5 or so and by G-d, I was NOT gonna eat those Brussel Sprouts, nosiree.

Well, my Grandma made me, but the butter always made me sick to my stomach. And I usually got rid of those brussel sprouts in the bathrooom right after dinner.

It took almost 40 years to get over the trauma of a Brussel Sprouts from outer space.

Nowadays, I love em!!!

I used to hate Brussel Sprouts....but I found a recipe for them - "Roasted Brussel Sprouts" with pecans....I love them now...and fix them quite often. Mr Mertex didn't like them, but it was his idea (found the recipe on the internet) and wanted me to fix them....he found out they are really good for you (especially for men - prevent prostate cancer)......so I did, and we've been eating them regularly since.

You know what, Mertex? I am gonna give that recipe a try.

I hope you end up liking it as much as I do.....:D

Gotta tell you a story:

Nowadays, I love em!!!

You 've gotta be more specific. How do you cook them? Do you just boil them and then put vinegar on them?

sleeping%2Bdogs%2B002.jpg

You're a braver man than I. Got food poisoning from peanut butter about a dozen years ago and haven't touched it since.

Are you allergic to peanuts? Was it spoiled? Can't hardly blame you for not wanting to ever eat it again....:)

No, I don't have an allergy (that I'm aware of) and the stuff didn't look, smell or taste spoiled. But I'd rather not roll those dice again. Real nuts are more nutritious anyway.

Back in microbiology/nutrition/human health issues days at school, it seems to me there was a fungi that was pretty serious for nuts and such. Seems it was called Aspergillis flavius or something to that effect. The trouble with the disease is that fungal disease-producing toxins do not ameliorate any with heating, the toxin just keeps on keeping on. If any unsalted nut you purchase smells or tastes funny in any way, get rid of it.

My microbiology professor, who'd done work with the Oregon State Food Health Department (formed after 20 family members in an Oregon community died from home-canned beans at a family reunion) was adamant that the protocol of getting rid of any bad nuts or too-old food was prompt.

A lot of older people substitute nuts for meat to lower cholesterol, and they need to be clear about discarding bad protein, including nuts which come at such a dear price, nobody wants to "waste" them if something is wrong. If a fixed income is your anathema, save the receipts for nut purchases, and take them back if they smell funny when you first open them for any reason. A lot of us are also avoiding too much salt in the diet, so only purchase enough nuts and with due diligence, eat them before the expiration date on the pack, but never if the smell or taste bad, unusual, or make you sneeze. If the seller gets pissy about returning bad stuff, take this list to your state health department and a carbon copy to the cdc, when and where you purchased the bad nuts, etc. I don't think aspergillus flavus is on this list, but surely you can find it somewhere online: CDC - A-Z Index for Foodborne Illness - Food Safety

Fungal diseases are listed here but not as a foodborne illness:
Types of Fungal Diseases | Fungal | CDC

Here's all you ever cared to know about A. flavus: The Peanut Files: THE PEANUT FILES - ASPERGILLUS

Last edited:

You 've gotta be more specific. How do you cook them? Do you just boil them and then put vinegar on them?

Boiled or steamed.

Sigh, I'm feeling sorry for myself :(

I have to go to the eye doctor, they make you take out the contacts then sit there waiting for half an hour. Blind, just sitting there sucks. I hate doctors!

It totally sucks. My form of blind means I can see about three inches in front of my face clearly. I opt for semi-fuzzy and either play on my Fire, or read my Kindle.

You might count yourself fortunate. My version of blind means that my arms are no longer long enough. Without specs, I have to prop a menu up across the table to read it.

Well it looks like Spring may actually be here for good. the long term forecast shows seasonal weather for the next week and a half and we're into may. I guess the snow and ice are done

Spring has to stay here now...It has no choice in this... I have cut the grass, that's it...spring can only turn into summer. it's the law.

Yup. I got my first two packets of seeds, peas and pumpkins. I'll be out in the greenhouse by the end of the week, planting those and preparing for the rest.

Tater Tot Bake Recipe - Allrecipes.com

"This is ground beef and onions covered with tater tots, creamy mushroom soup and shredded Cheddar cheese. Even picky eaters love it!"

It doesn't sound bad although I never could recreate the hamburger joint tater tots with the frozen ones.
I know what you mean. No matter how I fry the tater tots, they never taste as good as those at Sonic. I'll bet it's the oil though. We don't use peanut oil in our home.

I remember how great McD's fries were...until they quit using lard to fry them. Now...meh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back