USMB Coffee Shop III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. :)

juyh3o.jpg

Tolkien patterned the Rohirrim after a conglomerate of two groups, the ancient Anglo-Saxons and the Ostrogoths, a Germanic tribe that dominated eastern Europe during the late Roman period and were renowned people of the horse.
Tolkien was an acclaimed professor of Anglo-Saxon and his aim in writing the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy was to create a uniquely "English" mythology.
The names, habitat and culture of the Rohirrim are decidedly Anglo-Saxon and their equestrian abilities Ostrogoth in nature. The Anglo-Saxons and Ostrogoths were Germanic in origin.

That's why I didn't weigh in on the matter before, I was getting a strong goth vibe from the Rohirrim.

(p.s. Among the very few german words I know, "ost" = east)

The names and armor (armor as described by Tolkien) are specifically Anglo-Saxon in origin. What's interesting is the few remaining words in the "English" language, derived from the Anglo-Saxon, are horse colors. Interesting because the Anglo-Saxons always fought on foot. The deciding factor at the Battle of Hastings was William the Conqueror (Norman invader) had something the Anglo-Saxons didn't, calvary. Now if it had been the Anglo-Ostrogoths who the Normans were up against...... who knows what the outcome would have been.

Watching my Letterman recording from last night, Steven Colbert was on. He looked a little nervous but still funny.

Yep, pretty soon it will be Winter again. :D :scared1:

"Winter is coming."

/Ned Stark

It will soon be time to think of christmas presents. I find it harder every year to think of something new to buy my sister. I can't fob her off with another necklace or another bracelet.

Dude, don't even wait. Start shopping the day after Christmas. See something on sale? Buy it, shove it in the closet. Some people are done shopping by now.

Their hash browns aren't any good now either.
I agree. IHOP or Denny's both have good hash brown potatoes.

OOOHHH Yum...I used to love Denny's hash browns. They were just perfect for my tastes. Their biscuits and sausage gravy were pretty tasty too, especially after a night on the town...;)

Biscuits and sausage gravy are so good that they should be required to be on the menu of every food serving establishment.

I agree. IHOP or Denny's both have good hash brown potatoes.

OOOHHH Yum...I used to love Denny's hash browns. They were just perfect for my tastes. Their biscuits and sausage gravy were pretty tasty too, especially after a night on the town...;)

Biscuits and sausage gravy are so good that they should be required to be on the menu of every food serving establishment.

My daughter loves that, I never got into it so she must have had it over at her Dad's house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back