USMB Coffee Shop III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Saturday:)

IMG_0014.JPG
Yom! Hits the spot, Sherry! :D

big-black-dog-albums-pictures-picture6550-kittens.jpg

Here's the latest addition to all of the critters we have around our place. They were born this morning. There were three in the litter but one didn't make it. Just what we need... more cats. Mrs. BBD is a happy camper today.
Oh, they're so cute! They remind me of the theme song to "Paint Your Wagon" That starts, "Where am I going I don't know" and ends "We're on our way!" :D

Prayers up for your sister, BDB. :eusa_pray:

Hope it turns out benign and curable by avoiding more than 1 caffeine beverage per diem. That's what happened to me 30 years ago. I drink one and only one cup of coffee per day (which I love) and a Dr. Pepper a couple of days a year. Herbal teas don't aggravate my body, and raspberry, blueberry, and blackberry teas are beneficial for some reason.

Love and healing to your sister. She's lucky she has you for an anchor. :smiliehug:

Thank you, and light bulb moment! She drinks a pot a day, what was cured for you by the caffeine reduction? If you can't share here, my PM box is open. Thanks in advance!
We lived in Oregon. My physician was country doctor enough to tell me to lay off the caffeine after they did a sonar of the "fibrocysts" that showed up in a routine palpation examination. He said my pot of coffee a day was doing it. I was actually drinking a pot and a half. He said if I didn't, the fibrocysts were a precursor to breast cancer. I went cold turkey at first, but missed the coffee. Other sources said a cup was not only ok, it was good for you in other ways. So I allowed myself one cup a day and never had another minute of trouble from fibrocysts. They just disappeared six weeks after I laid off the coffee. The doctor congratulated me for abstaining but concurred with the others who said one cup a day was ok for most people unless their problem was allergy to coffee. I'm very happy to have a mug of the best coffee I can afford each morning, and add a little milk for calcium and Hazelnut Coffeemate for a really delicious brew. The good thing about this slight addiction is that I can sew for 3 hours without stopping with my mug right there for me to sip on between sewing rows of blocks together. Sometimes, like this morning, it results in a very pretty quilt top completed. This one is teals, aquas, burgundy, and cerise colors with the prettiest little print you ever saw for the border that I picked up at the local quilt shop 4 days ago, wondering if it would work. Did it ever! So now, it's just a matter of folding it, putting it with 5 other tops, and delivering it to Charity Bees next Tuesday morning. I'm almost done with one I'm calling "Mulligan Stew Rows" because it includes a square here from this one leftover, and a square there from another. I arranged them in like squares in rows, which is the vogue these days.

This one IS NOT MY QUILT, but is one put together by someone much smarter and more intentionally done than me:

row-quilts.jpg

Row Quilts, Challenge quilt from Quilting Gallery, circa September, 2012.

This type of quilt is not only good for using up old pieces, it's great for trying out a type of quilt block you've never tried before, and after the third or fourth square, you know how to get it right, plus your speed picks up when you know what you're doing on a type of work you've never tried before. And if you don't like the technique, you don't have to invest much more time in it than the 3 or 4 squares you did to complete the row. That keeps you from getting yoked into something that isn't any fun to do, for one reason or another. Or it's a good way to experiment with a color arrangement you're considering doing for a much larger quilt than a row quilt that can go to either a baby, child, or senior man or woman depending on the theme you selected (if that is relevant.) Some scrap quilts came directly from the leftover box. Back in the day, people called them simply "utility quilts," and no matter how unsightly it turns out, you can always slip it as an extra layer of quilts on a seriously cold night, and save your pretty quilt for the top layer. ;)

Beautiful!

Here's the latest addition to all of the critters we have around our place. They were born this morning. There were three in the litter but one didn't make it. Just what we need... more cats. Mrs. BBD is a happy camper today.

AWWW, cute!

Oh and good morning everybody. We are expecting major high winds in New Mexico today--as much as 85 mph--that's almost category 2 hurricane strenghth--in the southeastern quadrant of the state. 55 mph here in Albuquerque which is enough to do some damage too. So folks are battening down the hatches, bringing in patio umbrellas, etc.

Wow! Hold on to your hats, Foxy.

No one did anything. CR kept himself out of the BoF.

He did keep himself out but still, he was one of the baseball greats. If not for his gambling issues ...

Love him. Everybody's got something.

And the injury he inflicted in the 1970 all-stars game, but I loved going down to the Stadium in Cincy to watch him.

My birthday gift in 1976 was a seat at Riverfront for world series game number 2..... what a night that was. For a young boy, to get to see the world series up live and so close. That was a dream come true for me.

Yes. Watched him the game winning homer 4th game 1959 series.

Thank you, and light bulb moment! She drinks a pot a day, what was cured for you by the caffeine reduction? If you can't share here, my PM box is open. Thanks in advance!
We lived in Oregon. My physician was country doctor enough to tell me to lay off the caffeine after they did a sonar of the "fibrocysts" that showed up in a routine palpation examination. He said my pot of coffee a day was doing it. I was actually drinking a pot and a half. He said if I didn't, the fibrocysts were a precursor to breast cancer. I went cold turkey at first, but missed the coffee. Other sources said a cup was not only ok, it was good for you in other ways. So I allowed myself one cup a day and never had another minute of trouble from fibrocysts. They just disappeared six weeks after I laid off the coffee. The doctor congratulated me for abstaining but concurred with the others who said one cup a day was ok for most people unless their problem was allergy to coffee. I'm very happy to have a mug of the best coffee I can afford each morning, and add a little milk for calcium and Hazelnut Coffeemate for a really delicious brew. The good thing about this slight addiction is that I can sew for 3 hours without stopping with my mug right there for me to sip on between sewing rows of blocks together. Sometimes, like this morning, it results in a very pretty quilt top completed. This one is teals, aquas, burgundy, and cerise colors with the prettiest little print you ever saw for the border that I picked up at the local quilt shop 4 days ago, wondering if it would work. Did it ever! So now, it's just a matter of folding it, putting it with 5 other tops, and delivering it to Charity Bees next Tuesday morning. I'm almost done with one I'm calling "Mulligan Stew Rows" because it includes a square here from this one leftover, and a square there from another. I arranged them in like squares in rows, which is the vogue these days.

This one IS NOT MY QUILT, but is one put together by someone much smarter and more intentionally done than me:

row-quilts.jpg

Row Quilts, Challenge quilt from Quilting Gallery, circa September, 2012.

This type of quilt is not only good for using up old pieces, it's great for trying out a type of quilt block you've never tried before, and after the third or fourth square, you know how to get it right, plus your speed picks up when you know what you're doing on a type of work you've never tried before. And if you don't like the technique, you don't have to invest much more time in it than the 3 or 4 squares you did to complete the row. That keeps you from getting yoked into something that isn't any fun to do, for one reason or another. Or it's a good way to experiment with a color arrangement you're considering doing for a much larger quilt than a row quilt that can go to either a baby, child, or senior man or woman depending on the theme you selected (if that is relevant.) Some scrap quilts came directly from the leftover box. Back in the day, people called them simply "utility quilts," and no matter how unsightly it turns out, you can always slip it as an extra layer of quilts on a seriously cold night, and save your pretty quilt for the top layer. ;)

Beautiful!
Thanks Sarah. You know, a really good thing to do since her work is so perfect is to use each of the quilts as a springboard colorwise to doing a series of these to delight our local Charity quilt recipients with. It'd be a no-brainer for me, and I could crank out prolly a couple of quilts a week for a month to help reach a goal of 10 quilts per month. The one I'm working on right now has a 30-year-old RJR Favorites Baby collection that has little pale fuchsia hearts (almost pink) on a baby blue background that's as light as the day sky, so when it's done I could start another series. Some of those are hard, but others it's just a matter of taking strips I already have cut and making them work into a schema. My son "fixed" my computer, so now, I can't save pictures into My Pictures, and I can't use my scanner to show my work any more. I don't dare complain, but: Kids! :lmao:

AWWW, cute!

When they get old enough I'm going to send them to SFC Ollie so he will have 4 kittens instead of just 2. That should make that old goat happy!:lol:

Oh and good morning everybody. We are expecting major high winds in New Mexico today--as much as 85 mph--that's almost category 2 hurricane strenghth--in the southeastern quadrant of the state. 55 mph here in Albuquerque which is enough to do some damage too. So folks are battening down the hatches, bringing in patio umbrellas, etc.

Be safe!! I hope you are dwelling in a sturdy humble abode.

Well, went to the grand opening of the Idora Experience.

Idora Park was a local amusement park located here when i was growing up. Like many of those who grew up here I almost could say I grew up at Idora. From Candie Floss to vinegar fries, The WidCat, Jack Rabbit and a dozen other rides.

Of course those were after you grew up enough to get out of Kiddie land. There was swimming and Putt Putt golf and at one time the largest ballroom between Chicago and NYC. All the Big bands from the 40's weren't big unless Idora Ballroom was on their play dates...

Louis Armstrong
Cab Calloway
Duke Ellington
Tommy Dorsey
They all played there.

Then while I was away in Germany, 1984, tragedy struck, An electrical fire started in a maintenance building and the resulting fire destroyed some of the key buildings and rides. The park could not reopen without money that no one had to invest in it.

The owners sold off those rides that they could and sold individual pieces when they had to. Basically all that was remaining was the Ballroom, It sat empty and unused until 2000 when a homeless person got inside to keep warm and started a fire that burned it to the ground.

Fast forward to 2010, A retired Military man (Not I) walking through the old site thought he'd like a reminder of the place he spent so much time of his youth. he saw and picked up a light socket that probably came from one of the Maintenance buildings. He took it home told his wife about Idora and in the last 4 years he has invested all his time and money into collecting everything he could from Idora. And today it all went on display. Of course the old carrousel where so very many stole their first kiss is in operation under the Brooklyn Bridge. I believe it is called Janes Carrousel now.

Anyway here are some pieces of the past........

The rocket

Lady in Black is the great grandaughter of the original maker of Candy Floss, now known as Cotton Candy.

Yes he plans to restore the two turtles he found.

Jack Rabbit roller Coaster car If memory serves.

These ran on a single rail through part of the park.

Awesome, Ollie...I think for a long time Americans were more interested in making way for progress than preserving for nostalgia, but I think that has changed.

That is awesome Ollie. Hombre and I and others were just recently talking about stuff from our distant past that we discarded or bulldozed or just forgot about because the world and we with it had moved on beyond it. And now we so wish we at least had photographs of it or had held onto some of that stuff.

We are getting 55 mile per hour winds here too Foxfyre.

I feel so sorry for the little hummingbirds. They are having one heck of time trying to land on the feeders.
Poor little things.

Thank you for the pictures Ollie. It's really great to see some of our childhood memories.
The place reminds me of Elitch Gardens Amusement Park in Denver, Colo. when I was a kid.
It has since been moved and it's now called Elitch Gardens Theme & Water Park.

are they on medication?

I'm sure they are. I don't know what they take though.

so far I've refused to take the medications. I guess if I ever developed serious blockages I'd reconsider.

Same here. I have really low good cholesterol so I have to do something to keep down the LDL numbers.

So far I have been lucky as far as blockages are concerned. That is why I have signed up and am working on my fitness level. At my age I don't have youth to get me though any more.

The good news is that Mrs Te and my daughter both signed up today. So hopefully we can spur each other on. :)

If my count is correct i have 7 stents and my Quad bypass. And it hasn't been the cholesterol as much as the triglycerides... I take what ever the Docs tell me, It's why we pay them. Lost both parents to heart disease so we know where it comes from but I'm doing everything I can to fight it.

Started walking outside this week now that the weather broke.See if i can't drop 5 pounds...That's the Docs target. mine is 15...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back