USMB Coffee Shop III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never met Debbie Harry, but if we are name dropping I have met Benny Hill. I sold him a ticket for a deck chair in kensington gardens the 1960's.
During the same job as a deck chair attendant, I saw Mickey Dolenz the drummer of the monkeys get mobbed by teenage girls.
I sat next to Gary Glitter in a wine bar before he became infamous.
I met Bruce Kent of CND for about two seconds once outside charing cross station, and I almost got him killed. I tapped him on the shoulder as I was passing him, and he looked round just as he came to a road. I waved at him and he stepped out into the road without looking. He was very lucky that nothing was coming or he would have got run over, and it would have been my fault.:D That is not my only claim to fame, I have crossed the path of some other celebrities in my time.
How about you?

I've met a lot of celebrities over the years. mostly playing golf in both Pierre LaRouche's and Mario Lemieux's annual charity tournaments. lots of athletes, but also a lot of actors and few musicians. one of the best was alice cooper, who a was a really big fan of as a teenager. he is an awesome golfer too. I do know Armand Assante, who lives in our town and is a life long friend of our neighbor. Also Phil Simms, former NY Giants quarterback and currently a broadcaster sports analyst. That one is interesting. He is married to my ex girlfriend who I am still pretty close friends with. lol.

I've met some Star Wars actors. Not that impressive, but that's all I can truthfully claim.

Edit: Wait! I saw Don Mattingly at Target several years ago.

growing up ron Guidry and tommy john were our neighbors. our little mutt fox terrier dug its way into ron Guidry's dogs pen and knocked up one of his dogs. damn, I'd forgotten all about that until you mentioned don mattingly

Hmm. Mum is trying to insist I have a week off karate as well. I am well aware that I need to be careful. No sparring for six weeks, no contact of any kind. I can still go and do basic strikes/blocks etc. No harm in that. She's carrying on like I'm going to end up with a battered mouth from being hit in the face. I could get hit in the face at work too, but I am not taking six weeks off work. LOL.

Well, went to the grand opening of the Idora Experience.

Idora Park was a local amusement park located here when i was growing up. Like many of those who grew up here I almost could say I grew up at Idora. From Candie Floss to vinegar fries, The WidCat, Jack Rabbit and a dozen other rides.

Of course those were after you grew up enough to get out of Kiddie land. There was swimming and Putt Putt golf and at one time the largest ballroom between Chicago and NYC. All the Big bands from the 40's weren't big unless Idora Ballroom was on their play dates...

Louis Armstrong
Cab Calloway
Duke Ellington
Tommy Dorsey
They all played there.

Then while I was away in Germany, 1984, tragedy struck, An electrical fire started in a maintenance building and the resulting fire destroyed some of the key buildings and rides. The park could not reopen without money that no one had to invest in it.

The owners sold off those rides that they could and sold individual pieces when they had to. Basically all that was remaining was the Ballroom, It sat empty and unused until 2000 when a homeless person got inside to keep warm and started a fire that burned it to the ground.

Fast forward to 2010, A retired Military man (Not I) walking through the old site thought he'd like a reminder of the place he spent so much time of his youth. he saw and picked up a light socket that probably came from one of the Maintenance buildings. He took it home told his wife about Idora and in the last 4 years he has invested all his time and money into collecting everything he could from Idora. And today it all went on display. Of course the old carrousel where so very many stole their first kiss is in operation under the Brooklyn Bridge. I believe it is called Janes Carrousel now.

Anyway here are some pieces of the past........

The rocket

Lady in Black is the great grandaughter of the original maker of Candy Floss, now known as Cotton Candy.

Yes he plans to restore the two turtles he found.

Jack Rabbit roller Coaster car If memory serves.

These ran on a single rail through part of the park.

I LOVED Idora Park. Thanks for sharing the photos.

*gets all teary eyed*

We lived in Oregon. My physician was country doctor enough to tell me to lay off the caffeine after they did a sonar of the "fibrocysts" that showed up in a routine palpation examination. He said my pot of coffee a day was doing it. I was actually drinking a pot and a half. He said if I didn't, the fibrocysts were a precursor to breast cancer. I went cold turkey at first, but missed the coffee. Other sources said a cup was not only ok, it was good for you in other ways. So I allowed myself one cup a day and never had another minute of trouble from fibrocysts. They just disappeared six weeks after I laid off the coffee. The doctor congratulated me for abstaining but concurred with the others who said one cup a day was ok for most people unless their problem was allergy to coffee. I'm very happy to have a mug of the best coffee I can afford each morning, and add a little milk for calcium and Hazelnut Coffeemate for a really delicious brew.

When I was younger I used to drink about 3 cups a day, 3 mugs. But for many years now, it's only been one, simply because that's all I've wanted, except for exceptional situations. Glad to know that was a good decision on my part.

Good to know that cutting down on coffee helped so much with your health issue.

Last edited:
We lived in Oregon. My physician was country doctor enough to tell me to lay off the caffeine after they did a sonar of the "fibrocysts" that showed up in a routine palpation examination. He said my pot of coffee a day was doing it. I was actually drinking a pot and a half. He said if I didn't, the fibrocysts were a precursor to breast cancer. I went cold turkey at first, but missed the coffee. Other sources said a cup was not only ok, it was good for you in other ways. So I allowed myself one cup a day and never had another minute of trouble from fibrocysts. They just disappeared six weeks after I laid off the coffee. The doctor congratulated me for abstaining but concurred with the others who said one cup a day was ok for most people unless their problem was allergy to coffee. I'm very happy to have a mug of the best coffee I can afford each morning, and add a little milk for calcium and Hazelnut Coffeemate for a really delicious brew.

When I was younger I used to drink about 3 cups a day, 3 mugs. But for many years now, it's only been one, simply because that's all I've wanted, except for exceptional situations. Glad to know that was a good decision on my part.

Having lost friends through the years who died of breast cancer, that option didn't appeal to me. ;)

Funny, I got up to read up on some things my osteopathic doctor and family physician recommended--Vitamin D and magnesium to help with aches and pains. I only got as far as Vitamin D, and here's the latest with medical references at the bottom of the page at the link along with a lot more information:

Studies have found that vitamin D deficiency contributes to osteoporosis, muscle weakness, hip fractures, diabetes, cancer, heart disease, arthritis and poor general health. The New England Journal of Medicine recently studied vitamin D and how it prevents fractures in seniors. While the recommended dosage of vitamin D varies from person to person, the study showed that it takes a daily dose of at least 800 international units of vitamin D to consistently prevent broken bones. This dosage reduced the risk of hip fractures by 30 percent and other breaks by 14 percent. The study also demonstrated that too much calcium, more than 1,000 milligrams per day, might dilute vitamin D's benefits to bones. (As we mentioned before, the required amount of calcium varies by individual. Always check with your doctor before taking a calcium supplement or any other nutritional supplement.)

The symptoms of vitamin D deficiency are easy to miss. While they vary from person to person, the following is a list of symptoms that seniors with this deficiency may experience:

• Fatigue
  • General muscle pain and weakness
  • Muscle cramps
  • Joint pain
  • Chronic pain
  • Weight gain
  • High blood pressure
  • Restless sleep
  • Poor concentration
  • Headaches
  • Bladder problems
  • Constipation or diarrhea

Those caring for seniors who notice these symptoms should advise a trip to the doctor.

• The following tips can help seniors increase vitamin D intake. Always ensure that the senior you care for consults a health care provider before considering any of these suggestions.
  • Researchers suggest 10 minutes of uncovered sun exposure three times a week, without the use of sunscreen.
  • Supplements, such as a multivitamin, help if approved by a physician.
  • Help the senior in your life choose foods that are high in vitamin D such as cod liver oil, salmon, mackerel, tuna, beef liver, cheese and egg yolks.
  • Help the senior find foods fortified with vitamin D. These foods include milk, breakfast cereals and juice drinks. While the daily diet may not provide the amount of vitamin D required, studies show that these foods can increase vitamin D levels in the body.
Even though the symptoms of vitamin D deficiency are subtle, there are many ways to prevent or counteract it. Consult your physician if you think you, or a senior loved one, is affected by vitamin D deficiency or any other nutrition-related condition.

Vitamin D Deficiency and Its Effects
It's so way past my bedtime, I'll save Magnesium until another day, another thing that has helped reduced my little pain load. (I also have fibromyalgia in addition to having fallen on my face at my sister's house a few weeks back, chasing Miss Music, who forgets running in the street could get her hit by another car...)

I'm just fascinated how much less pain I have with keeping the Vitamin D current! Plus Magnesium helps me get over harsh farm work I have to do since my husband condition worsened.

Night everybody! Have a lovely day tomorrow!

Leaving an early riser starter for those on the East coast (west coast, too)

shashys-cinnamon-raisin-buns.jpg

And some Bavarian Demitasse coffee fixin's in honor of Stats and for those who need a way to reduce their intake of caffeine for any reason. :)

VINTAGE-W-BAVARIA-GOLD-TEA-COFFEE-POT-DEMITASSE.jpg

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for
Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Marg’s mom,
Sunshine,
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Blackhawk’s mom,
Newby's mom,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj and Nana,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Ollie's daughter Angie and son Dirk,
Wake,
Sheila’s sore foot and friend Shirley,
Meister and his mom,
Testarosa
Drake's injured friend,
PixieStix's sister,
Hollie's stepdad,
Coyote's father-in-law,
Spoonie, Ringel, Derideo_Te, Sheila, and 007's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
BDBoop, her sis, and family,
Hombre,
Avg-Joe & furry companion Boo
Pix,
Noomi's impending oral surgery,
Becki!!! and Becki’s hubby,
Smilebong for his brother-in-law and family,
BBD's friend Otis,
Sarah
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Bigfoot, Oddball, Sunshine, and 007.

candle.gif

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

Having lost friends through the years who died of breast cancer, that option didn't appeal to me. ;)

Funny, I got up to read up on some things my osteopathic doctor and family physician recommended--Vitamin D and magnesium to help with aches and pains. I only got as far as Vitamin D, and here's the latest with medical references at the bottom of the page at the link along with a lot more information:

Studies have found that vitamin D deficiency contributes to osteoporosis, muscle weakness, hip fractures, diabetes, cancer, heart disease, arthritis and poor general health. The New England Journal of Medicine recently studied vitamin D and how it prevents fractures in seniors. While the recommended dosage of vitamin D varies from person to person, the study showed that it takes a daily dose of at least 800 international units of vitamin D to consistently prevent broken bones. This dosage reduced the risk of hip fractures by 30 percent and other breaks by 14 percent. The study also demonstrated that too much calcium, more than 1,000 milligrams per day, might dilute vitamin D's benefits to bones. (As we mentioned before, the required amount of calcium varies by individual. Always check with your doctor before taking a calcium supplement or any other nutritional supplement.)

The symptoms of vitamin D deficiency are easy to miss. While they vary from person to person, the following is a list of symptoms that seniors with this deficiency may experience:

• Fatigue
  • General muscle pain and weakness
  • Muscle cramps
  • Joint pain
  • Chronic pain
  • Weight gain
  • High blood pressure
  • Restless sleep
  • Poor concentration
  • Headaches
  • Bladder problems
  • Constipation or diarrhea

Those caring for seniors who notice these symptoms should advise a trip to the doctor.

• The following tips can help seniors increase vitamin D intake. Always ensure that the senior you care for consults a health care provider before considering any of these suggestions.
  • Researchers suggest 10 minutes of uncovered sun exposure three times a week, without the use of sunscreen.
  • Supplements, such as a multivitamin, help if approved by a physician.
  • Help the senior in your life choose foods that are high in vitamin D such as cod liver oil, salmon, mackerel, tuna, beef liver, cheese and egg yolks.
  • Help the senior find foods fortified with vitamin D. These foods include milk, breakfast cereals and juice drinks. While the daily diet may not provide the amount of vitamin D required, studies show that these foods can increase vitamin D levels in the body.
Even though the symptoms of vitamin D deficiency are subtle, there are many ways to prevent or counteract it. Consult your physician if you think you, or a senior loved one, is affected by vitamin D deficiency or any other nutrition-related condition.

Vitamin D Deficiency and Its Effects
It's so way past my bedtime, I'll save Magnesium until another day, another thing that has helped reduced my little pain load. (I also have fibromyalgia in addition to having fallen on my face at my sister's house a few weeks back, chasing Miss Music, who forgets running in the street could get her hit by another car...)

I'm just fascinated how much less pain I have with keeping the Vitamin D current! Plus Magnesium helps me get over harsh farm work I have to do since my husband condition worsened.

Night everybody! Have a lovely day tomorrow!

Leaving an early riser starter for those on the East coast (west coast, too)

shashys-cinnamon-raisin-buns.jpg

And some Bavarian Demitasse coffee fixin's in honor of Stats and for those who need a way to reduce their intake of caffeine for any reason. :)

VINTAGE-W-BAVARIA-GOLD-TEA-COFFEE-POT-DEMITASSE.jpg

A blood test can tell whether you're vitamin D deficient. My doc prescribed some extra-strength D, I guess it's not an uncommon deficiency up in these latitudes.

Greetings, all!
I'd say "good morning", as it probably is for many of you, but I am just starting my "day". Four flights tonight and then the weekend. This is the last week of school for this semester, too. While I will miss the activity (and the paycheck), it will be nice to have more time to get some of my post-poned projects completed. There's the wine rack, the curtains and cushions for the cabin, the roof trusses for the shed I'll be building...gosh, just loads to do. I also need to move the shed materials up to the place so they are there and ready when my girls get here. While I plan on having the trusses done before they come, the girls will still be taught how to calculate and cut the angles needed to build them. They'll also be learning how to do frame construction, calculating setbacks, etc. Lots of work with fractions and geometry coming their way. I'm planning on making a photo journal for them.
We'll also be collecting and studying plants, pressing leaves, sketching. I'm looking forward to that project, as well.
Guess I'm getting excited about seeing my babies again!

Any of you all ever subscribe to Reiman Publications? Here is a list of their magazines.

• Reminisce
  • Country
  • Birds & Blooms
  • Taste of Home
  • Simple and Delicious
  • Country Woman
  • Farm & Ranch Living
  • Healthy Cooking
  • Taste of Home Holiday
  • Fresh Home

I used to subscribe to Reminisce and Country. LOVED the stories and the pictures. It was a very well-done product: thick, glossy pages, sharp pictures. Seriously, you could frame them.

I woke up thinking about those magazines. I think many of you would love Reminisce Magazine and OMG YAY! They have a website, with tabs for different decades, starting at 1900.

They have a car club, too. And readers share their memories ... I think I need to subscribe again. It was a very soothing, comfortable read for me.

Here's a "car club" example.

The Ford Mustang anniversary is something to be celebrated. My half-century love affair with the Mustang began on the evening of April 17, 1964, when my dad, a Ford salesman at the time, brought home a new one to take our family for a ride.

My mother declined because she thought the car was too small, but we kids jumped at the chance. Being the oldest, I was allowed to sit in the coveted front passenger seat. I’ll never forget how proud I was to sit there, or the attention the car attracted every time we stopped at a traffic light.

A year later, I landed a dream job for a teenage car nut: working at the same Ford dealership as my dad, which gave me plenty of chances to drive new Mustangs. Life couldn’t get much better.

I acquired several Mustangs, including a ’68 Fastback, over the years, and started an international Mustang club to share the spirit with other enthusiasts worldwide.

These days I have four Mustangs in my corral. If I didn’t live in the city, where space is limited, there’s no telling how big my collection would be! In addition, my children own or have owned Mustangs, and now some of my grandkids hope to own one of these classics when they’re older.

Mom and Dad have been gone for quite a while now, but my love for Mustangs, kindled on that spring night in 1964, still runs strong—and will continue to do so for many years to come.

fe944d639c558c4ec00a70702db159f2.jpg

I have never met Debbie Harry, but if we are name dropping I have met Benny Hill. I sold him a ticket for a deck chair in kensington gardens the 1960's.
During the same job as a deck chair attendant, I saw Mickey Dolenz the drummer of the monkeys get mobbed by teenage girls.
I met Bruce Kent of CND for about two seconds once outside charing cross station, and I almost got him killed. I tapped him on the shoulder as I was passing him, and he looked round just as he came to a road. I waved at him and he stepped out into the road without looking. He was very lucky that nothing was coming or he would have got run over, and it would have been my fault.:D That is not my only claim to fame, I have crossed the path of some other celebrities in my time.
How about you?

I've met a lot of celebrities over the years. mostly playing golf in both Pierre LaRouche's and Mario Lemieux's annual charity tournaments. lots of athletes, but also a lot of actors and few musicians. one of the best was alice cooper, who a was a really big fan of as a teenager. he is an awesome golfer too. I do know Armand Assante, who lives in our town and is a life long friend of our neighbor. Also Phil Simms, former NY Giants quarterback and currently a broadcaster sports analyst. That one is interesting. He is married to my ex girlfriend who I am still pretty close friends with. lol.

It has taken up until now to recall that I bumped into Tom Selleck in a supermarket once. Oh, and Vanessa Williams was at the same College Honors and Graduation ceremonies because her niece and my daughter were in the same class.

Then again I have probably passed any number of celebrities on the streets of Manhatten and never recognized them because I really don't know who they are. I rarely watch movies and never watch the Oscars so if I was introduced to one of them I would probably have no idea why they are a celebrity.

Up early this morning. Will be leaving for church in just a little bit. Have had my coffee. Went out on the back porch to check on the kittens and found one of them dead. Not a good start for the day.

How about you?

It has taken up until now to recall that I bumped into Tom Selleck in a supermarket once. Oh, and Vanessa Williams was at the same College Honors and Graduation ceremonies because her niece and my daughter were in the same class.

Then again I have probably passed any number of celebrities on the streets of Manhatten and never recognized them because I really don't know who they are. I rarely watch movies and never watch the Oscars so if I was introduced to one of them I would probably have no idea why they are a celebrity.

When I was giggin in NYC in 1988, Val Kilmer suddenly appeared right behind me in the waiting line to order pizza at my favorite pizza joint at 96th and West End, NE corner. I loved that place. So, I turned around, said hi and we chatted. He was totally friendly, easy, laid back. That was cool. 1988 was probably the hottest summer I remember in NYC, we we all melting that summer...

I wonder if that pizzeria still exists...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back