USMB Coffee Shop III

Status
Not open for further replies.
big-black-dog-albums-pictures-picture6550-kittens.jpg

Here's the latest addition to all of the critters we have around our place. They were born this morning. There were three in the litter but one didn't make it. Just what we need... more cats. Mrs. BBD is a happy camper today.

AWWW, cute!

When they get old enough I'm going to send them to SFC Ollie so he will have 4 kittens instead of just 2. That should make that old goat happy!:lol:

I wonder if they'll pass in the mail?

I'm sure they are. I don't know what they take though.

so far I've refused to take the medications. I guess if I ever developed serious blockages I'd reconsider.

Same here. I have really low good cholesterol so I have to do something to keep down the LDL numbers.

So far I have been lucky as far as blockages are concerned. That is why I have signed up and am working on my fitness level. At my age I don't have youth to get me though any more.

The good news is that Mrs Te and my daughter both signed up today. So hopefully we can spur each other on. :)

that great. its something we all really should be doing. at least now that its warmer I'm getting out and doing a lot of physical work. I rebuilt a retaining wall that had collapsed over the winter. years ago that would have been a morning project. now it takes all day lol

If my count is correct i have 7 stents and my Quad bypass. And it hasn't been the cholesterol as much as the triglycerides... I take what ever the Docs tell me, It's why we pay them. Lost both parents to heart disease so we know where it comes from but I'm doing everything I can to fight it.

Started walking outside this week now that the weather broke.See if i can't drop 5 pounds...That's the Docs target. mine is 15...

cut out the sweets there Ollie. I agree though. if I had the blockage I'd be taking the medication

so far I've refused to take the medications. I guess if I ever developed serious blockages I'd reconsider.

Same here. I have really low good cholesterol so I have to do something to keep down the LDL numbers.

So far I have been lucky as far as blockages are concerned. That is why I have signed up and am working on my fitness level. At my age I don't have youth to get me though any more.

The good news is that Mrs Te and my daughter both signed up today. So hopefully we can spur each other on. :)

that great. its something we all really should be doing. at least now that its warmer I'm getting out and doing a lot of physical work. I rebuilt a retaining wall that had collapsed over the winter. years ago that would have been a morning project. now it takes all day lol

If you ever do decide to take the medication, you aren't limited to statins. I'm assuming you're leary of those.

If you ever do decide to take the medication, you aren't limited to statins. I'm assuming you're leary of those.

yes. not something I want to take if I don't absolutely have to

I agree with you. I wouldn't take them either. Zettia works differently, through the small intestine rather than the liver and it might work better for you. I like the none of the above option like you though.

I agree with you. I wouldn't take them either. Zettia works differently, through the small intestine rather than the liver and it might work better for you. I like the none of the above option like you though.
thanks, I will look into that one

If my count is correct i have 7 stents and my Quad bypass. And it hasn't been the cholesterol as much as the triglycerides... I take what ever the Docs tell me, It's why we pay them. Lost both parents to heart disease so we know where it comes from but I'm doing everything I can to fight it.

Started walking outside this week now that the weather broke.See if i can't drop 5 pounds...That's the Docs target. mine is 15...

cut out the sweets there Ollie. I agree though. if I had the blockage I'd be taking the medication

I can't cut sweets any further, I even switched to black coffee.... It's summer i'll be hitting the streets. Twice in the last 2 days already. I'll keep it up too...Have to. I've got three parades coming up each one about a mile long.....

I take Zettia. And niaspan, and a low level statin.

Kittens being born this morning. 3 so far but 1 born dead. I better have some more coffee and boil some water! In those western movies when a baby is being born they always boil water. I don't know why but it seems like a good idea right now.

Telling the men to go boil water is just a woman's way of getting him out of the way. Usually the deed is done and overwith before the water boils...just sayin', maybe you should go to the lobby, smoke and pace instead...unless you want some tea.

I have never met Debbie Harry, but if we are name dropping I have met Benny Hill. I sold him a ticket for a deck chair in kensington gardens the 1960's.
During the same job as a deck chair attendant, I saw Mickey Dolenz the drummer of the monkeys get mobbed by teenage girls.
I sat next to Gary Glitter in a wine bar before he became infamous.
I met Bruce Kent of CND for about two seconds once outside charing cross station, and I almost got him killed. I tapped him on the shoulder as I was passing him, and he looked round just as he came to a road. I waved at him and he stepped out into the road without looking. He was very lucky that nothing was coming or he would have got run over, and it would have been my fault.:D That is not my only claim to fame, I have crossed the path of some other celebrities in my time.
How about you?

I played Frisbee in Central Park with JFK junior. I was visiting a friend and it was kind of a "pick up" game. I didn't know who all was there at the time but was informed later. I think I remained unimpressed at the time. Oh, and I got to to to Studio 54 a couple of times...meh.

Last edited:

I can't cut sweets any further, I even switched to black coffee.... It's summer i'll be hitting the streets. Twice in the last 2 days already. I'll keep it up too...Have to. I've got three parades coming up each one about a mile long.....

do you have any trouble doing the walking

big-black-dog-albums-pictures-picture6550-kittens.jpg

Here's the latest addition to all of the critters we have around our place. They were born this morning. There were three in the litter but one didn't make it. Just what we need... more cats. Mrs. BBD is a happy camper today.

Hey! those look just like mine.......

They do, don't they. That tom must get around some.

do you have any trouble doing the walking

Only in getting used to not sitting around the house all winter. Asthma allows me to walk and the legs do OK, Of course i need to do the 30 minutes for a week or so and then move the bar to 45 min and work it up to an Hour. By the end of May I should be knocking out an hour no problem.

Could only do 20 minutes on the treadmill and would get bored and stop.....

I have never met Debbie Harry, but if we are name dropping I have met Benny Hill. I sold him a ticket for a deck chair in kensington gardens the 1960's.
During the same job as a deck chair attendant, I saw Mickey Dolenz the drummer of the monkeys get mobbed by teenage girls.
I sat next to Gary Glitter in a wine bar before he became infamous.
I met Bruce Kent of CND for about two seconds once outside charing cross station, and I almost got him killed. I tapped him on the shoulder as I was passing him, and he looked round just as he came to a road. I waved at him and he stepped out into the road without looking. He was very lucky that nothing was coming or he would have got run over, and it would have been my fault.:D That is not my only claim to fame, I have crossed the path of some other celebrities in my time.
How about you?

I've met a lot of celebrities over the years. mostly playing golf in both Pierre LaRouche's and Mario Lemieux's annual charity tournaments. lots of athletes, but also a lot of actors and few musicians. one of the best was alice cooper, who a was a really big fan of as a teenager. he is an awesome golfer too. I do know Armand Assante, who lives in our town and is a life long friend of our neighbor. Also Phil Simms, former NY Giants quarterback and currently a broadcaster sports analyst. That one is interesting. He is married to my ex girlfriend who I am still pretty close friends with. lol.

I've met some Star Wars actors. Not that impressive, but that's all I can truthfully claim.

Edit: Wait! I saw Don Mattingly at Target several years ago.

Prayers up for your sister, BDB. :eusa_pray:

Hope it turns out benign and curable by avoiding more than 1 caffeine beverage per diem. That's what happened to me 30 years ago. I drink one and only one cup of coffee per day (which I love) and a Dr. Pepper a couple of days a year. Herbal teas don't aggravate my body, and raspberry, blueberry, and blackberry teas are beneficial for some reason.

Love and healing to your sister. She's lucky she has you for an anchor. :smiliehug:

Thank you, and light bulb moment! She drinks a pot a day, what was cured for you by the caffeine reduction? If you can't share here, my PM box is open. Thanks in advance!
We lived in Oregon. My physician was country doctor enough to tell me to lay off the caffeine after they did a sonar of the "fibrocysts" that showed up in a routine palpation examination. He said my pot of coffee a day was doing it. I was actually drinking a pot and a half. He said if I didn't, the fibrocysts were a precursor to breast cancer. I went cold turkey at first, but missed the coffee. Other sources said a cup was not only ok, it was good for you in other ways. So I allowed myself one cup a day and never had another minute of trouble from fibrocysts. They just disappeared six weeks after I laid off the coffee. The doctor congratulated me for abstaining but concurred with the others who said one cup a day was ok for most people unless their problem was allergy to coffee. I'm very happy to have a mug of the best coffee I can afford each morning, and add a little milk for calcium and Hazelnut Coffeemate for a really delicious brew. The good thing about this slight addiction is that I can sew for 3 hours without stopping with my mug right there for me to sip on between sewing rows of blocks together. Sometimes, like this morning, it results in a very pretty quilt top completed. This one is teals, aquas, burgundy, and cerise colors with the prettiest little print you ever saw for the border that I picked up at the local quilt shop 4 days ago, wondering if it would work. Did it ever! So now, it's just a matter of folding it, putting it with 5 other tops, and delivering it to Charity Bees next Tuesday morning. I'm almost done with one I'm calling "Mulligan Stew Rows" because it includes a square here from this one leftover, and a square there from another. I arranged them in like squares in rows, which is the vogue these days.

This one IS NOT MY QUILT, but is one put together by someone much smarter and more intentionally done than me:

row-quilts.jpg

Row Quilts, Challenge quilt from Quilting Gallery, circa September, 2012.

This type of quilt is not only good for using up old pieces, it's great for trying out a type of quilt block you've never tried before, and after the third or fourth square, you know how to get it right, plus your speed picks up when you know what you're doing on a type of work you've never tried before. And if you don't like the technique, you don't have to invest much more time in it than the 3 or 4 squares you did to complete the row. That keeps you from getting yoked into something that isn't any fun to do, for one reason or another. Or it's a good way to experiment with a color arrangement you're considering doing for a much larger quilt than a row quilt that can go to either a baby, child, or senior man or woman depending on the theme you selected (if that is relevant.) Some scrap quilts came directly from the leftover box. Back in the day, people called them simply "utility quilts," and no matter how unsightly it turns out, you can always slip it as an extra layer of quilts on a seriously cold night, and save your pretty quilt for the top layer. ;)

Wow, I never see any that pretty when I'm out shopping in unique quilt shops....those are really beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back