USMB Coffee Shop III

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of mine too. It's a shame that they have kept him out of the BHOF.

No one did anything. CR kept himself out of the BoF.

He did keep himself out but still, he was one of the baseball greats. If not for his gambling issues ...

Love him. Everybody's got something.

And the injury he inflicted in the 1970 all-stars game, but I loved going down to the Stadium in Cincy to watch him.

My birthday gift in 1976 was a seat at Riverfront for world series game number 2..... what a night that was. For a young boy, to get to see the world series up live and so close. That was a dream come true for me.

I have never met Debbie Harry, but if we are name dropping I have met Benny Hill. I sold him a ticket for a deck chair in kensington gardens the 1960's.
During the same job as a deck chair attendant, I saw Mickey Dolenz the drummer of the monkeys get mobbed by teenage girls.
I sat next to Gary Glitter in a wine bar before he became infamous.
I met Bruce Kent of CND for about two seconds once outside charing cross station, and I almost got him killed. I tapped him on the shoulder as I was passing him, and he looked round just as he came to a road. I waved at him and he stepped out into the road without looking. He was very lucky that nothing was coming or he would have got run over, and it would have been my fault.:D That is not my only claim to fame, I have crossed the path of some other celebrities in my time.
How about you?

Mornin' All.

boedicca-albums-mo-mo-mo-boedicca-s-stuff-picture6135-coffeebath-1.gif

I have never met Debbie Harry, but if we are name dropping I have met Benny Hill. I sold him a ticket for a deck chair in kensington gardens the 1960's.
During the same job as a deck chair attendant, I saw Mickey Dolenz the drummer of the monkeys get mobbed by teenage girls.
I met Bruce Kent of CND for about two seconds once outside charing cross station, and I almost got him killed. I tapped him on the shoulder as I was passing him, and he looked round just as he came to a road. I waved at him and he stepped out into the road without looking. He was very lucky that nothing was coming or he would have got run over, and it would have been my fault.:D That is not my only claim to fame, I have crossed the path of some other celebrities in my time.
How about you?

Only once removed. My ex-roommate was upstairs at First Ave when Prince came through on his way to the private celebrity area. He was wearing like four-inch heels and holding hands with a model who still looked about a foot taller than he was. In other words, he was reaching UP to take her hand.

It's a gorgeous day here in Oaklandtown! Sunny, albeit a tad chilly.

We have a busy day planned...getting ready for a dinner party chez boe tonight!

The debate still rages among some who really care one way or the other as Tolkien never said who he patterned them after.
Knowing Tolkien's background, what he was trying to do with these books, the correlations between cultures (not to mention armor, language and habitat, etc) it's almost a given that his model was the Anglo-Saxon/Ostrogoth peoples. Almost a given which is why some still claim Viking origins. As for the mongol connection....... I have no idea which clueless moron came up with that one.

I don't believe you read far enough back in the conversation, Ringel. My parents said they were Mongolian.
They are morons though.
I thought you said "everyone" you talked to claimed they were Mongols?? I guess I "inferred" it was more than just your parents. :dunno:

What happened was after my parents came up with it, I asked people I knew for their opinion, and they all thought they were Mongol. My parents can up with it originally, though. Again, I don't care, because they are morons.

How about you?

Working for the Santa Fe New Mexican, I was honored to get to interview Glenn Ford, Jack Lemmon, and Brian Donlevy when they were on location in Santa Fe one time. Invited to a governor's cocktail party at another time--my father was a bigwig with the state at the time--I met some other stars who happened to be in town at the time. As a reporter for the Plainview Herald I interviewed Jimmy Dean of Jimmy Dean Sausage and "Big Bad John" fame--his brother was our milk man actually, and his mother cut Hombre's hair when he was little. A number of Hollywood types were in New Mexico during the "Hands Across America" project and I was at least in the vicinity of some of them.

Mostly movie stars and other celebrities are pretty much just folks. There are a few exceptions. Roger Miller and Goldie Hawn, both who you would expect to be fun people, had the reputation of being pretty much obnoxious jerks among the Santa Fe locals. I never met them personally though.

Har! I finally found the time to listen to Mahler's 2nd symphony, well it lasts over a hour. I just loaded it into my DVD drive, and I am listening to it as I type. Some might call that sacrilege, as it deserves my full attention, but I only need half my brain to type, and I am getting the gist of the music.

Oh and good morning everybody. We are expecting major high winds in New Mexico today--as much as 85 mph--that's almost category 2 hurricane strenghth--in the southeastern quadrant of the state. 55 mph here in Albuquerque which is enough to do some damage too. So folks are battening down the hatches, bringing in patio umbrellas, etc.

How about you?

I've met a lot of celebrities over the years. mostly playing golf in both Pierre LaRouche's and Mario Lemieux's annual charity tournaments. lots of athletes, but also a lot of actors and few musicians. one of the best was alice cooper, who a was a really big fan of as a teenager. he is an awesome golfer too. I do know Armand Assante, who lives in our town and is a life long friend of our neighbor. Also Phil Simms, former NY Giants quarterback and currently a broadcaster sports analyst. That one is interesting. He is married to my ex girlfriend who I am still pretty close friends with. lol.

Name dropping in the Coffee Shop this morning... I used to deer hunt quite often with Jackie Phelps who used to be a regular on the old Hee Haw TV Show. He was from my neck of the woods when I was growing up in Virginia way back when.

big-black-dog-albums-pictures-picture6550-kittens.jpg

Here's the latest addition to all of the critters we have around our place. They were born this morning. There were three in the litter but one didn't make it. Just what we need... more cats. Mrs. BBD is a happy camper today.

My sister came home from her check-up, walked in the door sobbing. Fortunately, I had ordered groceries last night so just happened to be upstairs to find out what was going on and lend aid and comfort. Two things. One, she left her Kindle Fire at the doctor's office. Two, there is some inflammation in her right breast which requires an immediate mammogram. I hugged her and got her the phone number for Amazon so she could temporarily deactivate her Fire. I believe it is in the exam room, and she will have it back in her hands on Monday.

Not so easy with the breast answers, please keep her in your prayers/positive thoughts/light a candle/clutch a crystal please.

Prayers up for your sister, BDB. :eusa_pray:

Hope it turns out benign and curable by avoiding more than 1 caffeine beverage per diem. That's what happened to me 30 years ago. I drink one and only one cup of coffee per day (which I love) and a Dr. Pepper a couple of days a year. Herbal teas don't aggravate my body, and raspberry, blueberry, and blackberry teas are beneficial for some reason.

Love and healing to your sister. She's lucky she has you for an anchor. :smiliehug:

Thank you, and light bulb moment! She drinks a pot a day, what was cured for you by the caffeine reduction? If you can't share here, my PM box is open. Thanks in advance!
We lived in Oregon. My physician was country doctor enough to tell me to lay off the caffeine after they did a sonar of the "fibrocysts" that showed up in a routine palpation examination. He said my pot of coffee a day was doing it. I was actually drinking a pot and a half. He said if I didn't, the fibrocysts were a precursor to breast cancer. I went cold turkey at first, but missed the coffee. Other sources said a cup was not only ok, it was good for you in other ways. So I allowed myself one cup a day and never had another minute of trouble from fibrocysts. They just disappeared six weeks after I laid off the coffee. The doctor congratulated me for abstaining but concurred with the others who said one cup a day was ok for most people unless their problem was allergy to coffee. I'm very happy to have a mug of the best coffee I can afford each morning, and add a little milk for calcium and Hazelnut Coffeemate for a really delicious brew. The good thing about this slight addiction is that I can sew for 3 hours without stopping with my mug right there for me to sip on between sewing rows of blocks together. Sometimes, like this morning, it results in a very pretty quilt top completed. This one is teals, aquas, burgundy, and cerise colors with the prettiest little print you ever saw for the border that I picked up at the local quilt shop 4 days ago, wondering if it would work. Did it ever! So now, it's just a matter of folding it, putting it with 5 other tops, and delivering it to Charity Bees next Tuesday morning. I'm almost done with one I'm calling "Mulligan Stew Rows" because it includes a square here from this one leftover, and a square there from another. I arranged them in like squares in rows, which is the vogue these days.

This one IS NOT MY QUILT, but is one put together by someone much smarter and more intentionally done than me:

row-quilts.jpg

Row Quilts, Challenge quilt from Quilting Gallery, circa September, 2012.

This type of quilt is not only good for using up old pieces, it's great for trying out a type of quilt block you've never tried before, and after the third or fourth square, you know how to get it right, plus your speed picks up when you know what you're doing on a type of work you've never tried before. And if you don't like the technique, you don't have to invest much more time in it than the 3 or 4 squares you did to complete the row. That keeps you from getting yoked into something that isn't any fun to do, for one reason or another. Or it's a good way to experiment with a color arrangement you're considering doing for a much larger quilt than a row quilt that can go to either a baby, child, or senior man or woman depending on the theme you selected (if that is relevant.) Some scrap quilts came directly from the leftover box. Back in the day, people called them simply "utility quilts," and no matter how unsightly it turns out, you can always slip it as an extra layer of quilts on a seriously cold night, and save your pretty quilt for the top layer. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back