USMB Coffee Shop III

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sister came home from her check-up, walked in the door sobbing. Fortunately, I had ordered groceries last night so just happened to be upstairs to find out what was going on and lend aid and comfort. Two things. One, she left her Kindle Fire at the doctor's office. Two, there is some inflammation in her right breast which requires an immediate mammogram. I hugged her and got her the phone number for Amazon so she could temporarily deactivate her Fire. I believe it is in the exam room, and she will have it back in her hands on Monday.

Not so easy with the breast answers, please keep her in your prayers/positive thoughts/light a candle/clutch a crystal please.

She is in my thoughts, Boop.

Confronting a bully parent does no good. Bully parents beget bully kids.

True. I remember years ago when I was at school, couple of girls started mid way through the term. The mother was a right feral - so were the kids. They used to just walk up to some random kid and kick the shit out of them for no reason. One day after school, they were in the car being driven home, saw a kid walking home from school, decided they didn't like him, mum stopped the car for them, kids got out and beat the crap out of this innocent child, and they just got back in the car and the mum drove off.

Took months for the school to actually expel them - they didn't want to be accused of racism, as these girls were Aboriginal.

Tolkien patterned the Rohirrim after a conglomerate of two groups, the ancient Anglo-Saxons and the Ostrogoths, a Germanic tribe that dominated eastern Europe during the late Roman period and were renowned people of the horse.
Tolkien was an acclaimed professor of Anglo-Saxon and his aim in writing the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy was to create a uniquely "English" mythology.
The names, habitat and culture of the Rohirrim are decidedly Anglo-Saxon and their equestrian abilities Ostrogoth in nature. The Anglo-Saxons and Ostrogoths were Germanic in origin.

Yes. As I said, you have to really streeeeeeeeeetch to find a correlation between the Rohirrim and the Vikings or the Mongols. But. . . . the question was not which group were the Rohirrim patterned after, which obviously was neither, but which one were the Rohirrim most like. And I could see some similarities with the Vikings; with the Mongols not so much.

Interesting observation re their actual 'origin' though.

The debate still rages among some who really care one way or the other as Tolkien never said who he patterned them after.
Knowing Tolkien's background, what he was trying to do with these books, the correlations between cultures (not to mention armor, language and habitat, etc) it's almost a given that his model was the Anglo-Saxon/Ostrogoth peoples. Almost a given which is why some still claim Viking origins. As for the mongol connection....... I have no idea which clueless moron came up with that one.

I don't believe you read far enough back in the conversation, Ringel. My parents said they were Mongolian.
They are morons though.

Ah, finally back! Just spent the past few days chaperoning my nephew's class trip. Nothing like almost falling off of a 50 foot zip line tower to your death when you're looking for fun!:eusa_shifty: No matter, I was quite proud of myself for scaling this thing:
IMAG0596.JPG

(It still goes up a bit after that)
and reaching the top!

Its been an awesome week for karate. Learned a lot, had five excellent classes. Tracy showed me how to do some things this morning that I had trouble with. I am learning to kiai on my own. I couldn't be happier. Have taken a huge step forward in my progress, grading is getting closer!

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for
Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Marg’s mom,
Sunshine,
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Blackhawk’s mom,
Newby's mom,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj and Nana,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Ollie's daughter Angie and son Dirk,
Wake,
Sheila’s sore foot and friend Shirley,
Meister and his mom,
Testarosa
Drake's injured friend,
PixieStix's sister,
Hollie's stepdad,
Coyote's father-in-law,
Spoonie, Ringel, Derideo_Te, Sheila, and 007's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
BDBoop, her sis, and family,
Hombre,
Avg-Joe & furry companion Boo
Pix,
Noomi's impending oral surgery,
Becki!!! and Becki’s hubby,
Smilebong for his brother-in-law and family,
BBD's friend Otis,
Sarah
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Bigfoot, Oddball, Sunshine, and 007.

candle.gif

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

Yep. Lots of them. Two barns, a milk house and the old goat house.

That should do it. Do you let them stay around? I like having my ferals around, I have almost zero mice when they are in residence.

Mrs. BBD has 7 outside cats. They spend 90% of their day on our large wrap-around porch. The other 10% of their day is spent on the swing. They are all mustered up there in the mornings waiting patiently for their food and water. They are all neutered or spayed except for this one that is going to have the kittens and it's the handy work of a frequent visitor that we call "Traveler". He shows up for the morning feedings too and then leaves. He's not neutered because he can't be caught.

My ferals are pretty wild. They eat their food, provided out in the barn, but when they see me, they split, quickly. They only reason Mr. Peepers fell for the trap was his extremely young age at the time. So, in a sense, the ferals aren't "my" cats at all.

My sister came home from her check-up, walked in the door sobbing. Fortunately, I had ordered groceries last night so just happened to be upstairs to find out what was going on and lend aid and comfort. Two things. One, she left her Kindle Fire at the doctor's office. Two, there is some inflammation in her right breast which requires an immediate mammogram. I hugged her and got her the phone number for Amazon so she could temporarily deactivate her Fire. I believe it is in the exam room, and she will have it back in her hands on Monday.

Not so easy with the breast answers, please keep her in your prayers/positive thoughts/light a candle/clutch a crystal please.

"Prayers" coming your sister's way. Hoping her inflammation is not significant. Sheesh, the things we poor human creatures have to endure.

Thank you.

She's not like that. Not the crier. She doesn't break easily. It felt really, REALLY good to have a handle on the Kindle, so she felt more ... in control.
Praying it will be nothing serious.

Yes. As I said, you have to really streeeeeeeeeetch to find a correlation between the Rohirrim and the Vikings or the Mongols. But. . . . the question was not which group were the Rohirrim patterned after, which obviously was neither, but which one were the Rohirrim most like. And I could see some similarities with the Vikings; with the Mongols not so much.

Interesting observation re their actual 'origin' though.

The debate still rages among some who really care one way or the other as Tolkien never said who he patterned them after.
Knowing Tolkien's background, what he was trying to do with these books, the correlations between cultures (not to mention armor, language and habitat, etc) it's almost a given that his model was the Anglo-Saxon/Ostrogoth peoples. Almost a given which is why some still claim Viking origins. As for the mongol connection....... I have no idea which clueless moron came up with that one.

I don't believe you read far enough back in the conversation, Ringel. My parents said they were Mongolian.
They are morons though.
I thought you said "everyone" you talked to claimed they were Mongols?? I guess I "inferred" it was more than just your parents. :dunno:

Kittens being born this morning. 3 so far but 1 born dead. I better have some more coffee and boil some water! In those western movies when a baby is being born they always boil water. I don't know why but it seems like a good idea right now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back