USMB Coffee Shop IV

Which reminds me of another phenomenon that I wonder if it is just my imagination or is it a fact that a LOT of the old big malls are starting to shut down. And we don't seeing new ones being built like they were in the 80's and 90's. Going out of style?

Which reminds me of another phenomenon that I wonder if it is just my imagination or is it a fact that a LOT of the old big malls are starting to shut down. And we don't seeing new ones being built like they were in the 80's and 90's. Going out of style?

If that's true, I'd guess that a lot of the reason is the popularity of online shopping.

Question for the computer geeks. I have my default browser set as Google Chrome. I access USMB through Google Chrome. But if I try to make a shortcut to USMB from Google Chrome on my desktop, it reverts to IE. Why? And is there anything I can do to make a Google Chrome shortcut on my desktop?
You should be able to set it up as a link to an application. What you want is for the link to issue a command, probably like:
chrome USMessageboard.com

You could try that from a dos prompt or whatever they call it now to check the syntax.

That should get you USMB with the Chrome browser without changing your default browser.

I have been missing ChrisL who had been so active here in the Coffee Shop. Just checked and she hasn't posted for about three weeks but doesn't seem to be 'pink'. Anybody know of her whereabouts?

Hombre and I have brand new pillows and can't wait to sleep on them tonight--I didn't get the linens changed in time to use them last night. We'll see if it is true that the right pillow can increase your chances for a good night's sleep.

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, Hombre, Sheila, Alan, & GW's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
Save and Mrs. L in adversity,
ChrisL in transition,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie and Colonel,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Ringel for wellness, rest, ankle healing, and extra strength,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Becki and all the others who have been MIA lately. We hope everyone is okay.

1771801424_3b348e8e3b_b.jpg

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Question for the computer geeks. I have my default browser set as Google Chrome. I access USMB through Google Chrome. But if I try to make a shortcut to USMB from Google Chrome on my desktop, it reverts to IE. Why? And is there anything I can do to make a Google Chrome shortcut on my desktop?
You should be able to set it up as a link to an application. What you want is for the link to issue a command, probably like:

You could try that from a dos prompt or whatever they call it now to check the syntax.

That should get you USMB with the Chrome browser without changing your default browser.

I'll try to figure that out tomorrow Ernie. I went ahead and set Chrome as my default browser but I really really hate it for most things. A lot of Pogo games won't run on Chrome and it takes twice as long to load anything as Bing on IE does. But I love it for USMB because of adblock.

But there is no problem without a solution. . . .

Many reasons, Super Targets, Super Walmarts, the recession, online shopping, the move to Promenade style shopping centers. I've seen malls that are pretty much closed down, one or two "big box" stores that haven't moved out yet or are about to go under themselves, like Sears.
Speaking of, after talking to the guys who delivered my fridge and dryer (independent delivery contractors) told me Sears was going to pare waaaay down and change their business model, to what I'm not sure but it might be more of an online sales model which means the iconic Sears stores may be going by the wayside.

When I was a kid, the Sears store was quite small, maybe 4,000 sq feet, including the Allstate counter. They did have some sporting goods, tires,tools, etc, but the biggest function was a place for people to pick up what they ordered from the catalog. We were there pretty much once a month.

I'm still up dang it., but I'm headed back to bed shortly. But for a morning exercise tomorrow, I'll leave you guys with this:

Can you find the 8 in under one minute?

10394611_724016130967868_2087315787624636056_n.jpg

When I was a kid, the Sears store was quite small, maybe 4,000 sq feet, including the Allstate counter. They did have some sporting goods, tires,tools, etc, but the biggest function was a place for people to pick up what they ordered from the catalog. We were there pretty much once a month.
The problem is their delivery times haven't changed........ :eusa_whistle:

I'll try to figure that out tomorrow Ernie. I went ahead and set Chrome as my default browser but I really really hate it for most things. A lot of Pogo games won't run on Chrome and it takes twice as long to load anything as Bing on IE does. But I love it for USMB because of adblock.

Talking of computers I have a zillion tons of software that was designed to run on windows 98. This includes lots of games I would still like to play. I do not want to play them on my new computer running windows 7 but I would like to play them on my old computer running windows XP. I was just wondering if I can install windows 98 on my windows XP computer and switch between the two.
I did this with windows 98 and windows 2000 and it asked you which version you want to run at startup. So I want to know if the same thing will happen if I try to install windows 98 on top of windows XP.
I hope I have made myself clear.

Morning !
I hope everyone had a good weekend.
We went to a friends party for the year remembrance of their Fathers Death, Sunday afternoon.
Good food and great home movies, but the wind was gusting at times and now my allergies are acting up. :)

Monday's smile

a-funny-animal-8.jpg

Talking of computers I have a zillion tons of software that was designed to run on windows 98. This includes lots of games I would still like to play. I do not want to play them on my new computer running windows 7 but I would like to play them on my old computer running windows XP. I was just wondering if I can install windows 98 on my windows XP computer and switch between the two.
I did this with windows 98 and windows 2000 and it asked you which version you want to run at startup. So I want to know if the same thing will happen if I try to install windows 98 on top of windows XP.
I hope I have made myself clear.

That's way over my pay grade Dajjal. I hear you--I have some old games I can't run on my newer computers either--but I don't know if these new computers would accept the older versions of Windows either. But I bet some of our computer geeks can tell you when they log back in. :)

The problem is their delivery times haven't changed........ :eusa_whistle:

Or their absolutely miserable customer service. I have so many stories about Sears. The funny thing is that Hombre was working for Sears when we got married and he had high hopes of making a career with them. He found out pretty quick though that they weren't any better at keeping promises made to their employees than they were keeping promises made to the customers. And that was many decades ago. Apparently they haven't changed.

Good morning everybody. A little drier morning here but still won't make it out of the 50's today--and we could see a bit more blessed rain according to the forecast. Meanwhile a big chunk of the northern New Mexico counties are under a winter storm warning this morning with up to 15 inches of snow expected. Winter isn't quite done with us yet but sheesh, it is April 27. Really late in the year for this kind of weather.

Good morning everybody. A little drier morning here but still won't make it out of the 50's today--and we could see a bit more blessed rain according to the forecast. Meanwhile a big chunk of the northern New Mexico counties are under a winter storm warning this morning with up to 15 inches of snow expected. Winter isn't quite done with us yet but sheesh, it is April 27. Really late in the year for this kind of weather.
If it was Colorado I'd worry that spring was coming too early....... :eusa_whistle:

Still relatively cool today and for the next couple of days, highs in the low 70s and lows in the 40s but that changes at the end of the week, upper 80s and lower 90s....... Probably a good time to start using the pool........ :D

Still relatively cool today and for the next couple of days, highs in the low 70s and lows in the 40s but that changes at the end of the week, upper 80s and lower 90s....... Probably a good time to start using the pool........ :D

Does the pool have a heater? If not it will take awhile to heat up to comfortable temps

Forum List

Back