USMB Coffee Shop IV

have_a_happy_weekend_7555869636.jpg

OK All caught up and now I can go to beddiebye. I got to Doc's at 12:35 (brought the lap top) and just got home. (4:15)

By the time you got there I'd had already been in bed for two hours.

I used to be an absolute night bird years ago when I was younger. Now, when it gets dark, it's time to go to bed, and when it's light, it's time to get up. I can't stand to be in bed when the sun is up. Got no idea how that changed.
You'd really enjoy life here, then. Right now, we're approaching the solstice and will not have a fully dark night for many weeks. Of course, you could catch up on your sleep during the winter.
I'll tell ya GW, I have given serious consideration to moving up to Alaska, but there's a few things that really give me pause. One, EARTH QUAKES, two, cold, three the ratio of men to women is 1 to 10. Those are worse odds than around here... :lol:

But I'm 'moved out'. I just bought this place and have thrown out the anchor. I have it made here and this place is perfect for me. Wisconsin really is a beautiful state.

And if we ever decide to do Carlsbad Caverns we'll need segways or hoverrounds............ :eusa_whistle:

IMG_3899.jpg

If you have never done the Caverns and can walk the distance, you definitely need to do that. It is one of the world's truly incredible marvels and there is no way to describe it. It simply has to be experienced. Almost all down hill going in--and what little climbing is done is not severe or a long haul. And you elevator out.

I think maybe 2/3rds of the big room at the bottom (you can elevator down too) is wheelchair accessible with assistance--I don't think walking in from the surface is wheelchair accessible though. Not really strenuously demanding but it does require a degree of physical fitness.

Last edited:
Good morning all. A beautiful day here but still unusually cool for this time of year. To need a light jacket in late May is almost unheard of. A little more rain yesterday and though we don't have a good chance for rain the next few days, it isn't impossible either.

House guests arriving Tuesday or Wednesday next week so I need to do some deep cleaning of the back bedrooms. But all in all a good Saturday ahead.

Woke up to fog! Kinda cool today so wearing my fall apparel and uggs. Hubby is still yard salin' so I won't know what goodies he found til he gets home.

Since it is foggy today...I think I will make this a movie day. LOTR...back to back to back...back to back to back. That should hold me til...sometime tomorrow. :lol:

Woke up to fog! Kinda cool today so wearing my fall apparel and uggs. Hubby is still yard salin' so I won't know what goodies he found til he gets home.

Since it is foggy today...I think I will make this a movie day. LOTR...back to back to back...back to back to back. That should hold me til...sometime tomorrow. :lol:

I love movie days. :)

Our daughter gave hubby a nice Amazon gift certificate for his birthday last month. And yesterday we received what he decided to use it for--some great pieces of Cusinart cookware. I had no idea until the delivery came. We had three pieces before and I absolutely love it.

I'm on pins and needles until Mr Gracie gets home. It's like xmas every saturday, lol. What treasures did he find today??? And he has been gone hours so that means he found some good sales.
I went outside and a highboy dresser is sitting in the front yard. He must have dumped it off before hitting other sales. I have a painting project!

I'm on pins and needles until Mr Gracie gets home. It's like xmas every saturday, lol. What treasures did he find today??? And he has been gone hours so that means he found some good sales.
I went outside and a highboy dresser is sitting in the front yard. He must have dumped it off before hitting other sales. I have a painting project!

I used to love to do that--go to the estate and big yard sales and flea markets to see what goodies might be available. And I am in need of a large chest of drawers or dresser for one of the back bedrooms but alas, we have small cars and no truck available to us these days. And I hate to pay retail for something like that.

I used to love to do that--go to the estate and big yard sales and flea markets to see what goodies might be available. And I am in need of a large chest of drawers or dresser for one of the back bedrooms but alas, we have small cars and no truck available to us these days. And I hate to pay retail for something like that.
Thrift shops deliver sometimes. So do consignment stores. Find one at your local store and ask if they will deliver. I rarely buy anything new. Most is second hand.

And if we ever decide to do Carlsbad Caverns we'll need segways or hoverrounds............ :eusa_whistle:

IMG_3899.jpg

If you have never done the Caverns and can walk the distance, you definitely need to do that. It is one of the world's truly incredible marvels and there is no way to describe it. It simply has to be experienced. Almost all down hill going in--and what little climbing is done is not severe or a long haul. And you elevator out.

I think maybe 2/3rds of the big room at the bottom (you can elevator down too) is wheelchair accessible with assistance--I don't think walking in from the surface is wheelchair accessible though. Not really strenuously demanding but it does require a degree of physical fitness.

That is so cool. I'd be a little worried about cave spiders though! :ack-1:

IMG_3899.jpg

Bats......

IMG_3899.jpg

Bats......

Them too. :eek:

Went over to Carlsbad, NM with the wife yesterday, she's still judging distance and city size based on the east coast........ Every time we go to a "city" out here she always says, "I thought it would be bigger". :lol:

IMG_3899.jpg

I did most of my growing up 90 miles from Carlsbad, and because it was the most interesting attraction in southeast New Mexico, every time somebody from out of town came to see it, that meant a trip to the Caverns. So I was there a LOT--back before it was self-guided and we were taken through in groups on a guided tour--it was more fun and more exciting then. But it's still great now. We went back with our own kids so they could have the experience, and then because our former church camp was there, a couple more trips with church groups plus our son and family lived there for awhile that necessitated another trip through so our granddaughter could 'show us'. Needless to say, I could lead a guided tour of the Caverns myself.

But until you have experienced it, you cannot imagine how big it is. No matter how many times you go, that remains amazing. You could place a very large building inside many of the 'rooms' and the formations and colors are just incredible. It is so spacious that even severely claustrophobic people rarely have a problem--the very few more restricted areas are very quickly passed through to get to a larger chamber.

And in all those trips, I never saw any kind of critter inside the cavern. No spiders. No bats. The only time you see the bats is when they predictably exit the cave at sundown and that too is a major tourist attraction. :)

IMG_3899.jpg

I did most of my growing up 90 miles from Carlsbad, and because it was the most interesting attraction in southeast New Mexico, every time somebody from out of town came to see it, that meant a trip to the Caverns. So I was there a LOT--back before it was self-guided and we were taken through in groups on a guided tour--it was more fun and more exciting then. But it's still great now. We went back with our own kids so they could have the experience, and then because our former church camp was there, a couple more trips with church groups plus our son and family lived there for awhile that necessitated another trip through so our granddaughter could 'show us'. Needless to say, I could lead a guided tour of the Caverns myself.

But until you have experienced it, you cannot imagine how big it is. No matter how many times you go, that remains amazing. You could place a very large building inside many of the 'rooms' and the formations and colors are just incredible. It is so spacious that even severely claustrophobic people rarely have a problem--the very few more restricted areas are very quickly passed through to get to a larger chamber.

And in all those trips, I never saw any kind of critter inside the cavern. No spiders. No bats. The only time you see the bats is when they predictably exit the cave at sundown and that too is a major tourist attraction. :)
On the way back to El Paso we drove up and through the parking lot...... packed with cars. We'll go back to visit the cave but when we can determine when visitation numbers are at their smallest....... :thup:

Forum List

Back