USMB Coffee Shop IV

And if we ever decide to do Carlsbad Caverns we'll need segways or hoverrounds............ :eusa_whistle:

IMG_3899.jpg

If you have never done the Caverns and can walk the distance, you definitely need to do that. It is one of the world's truly incredible marvels and there is no way to describe it. It simply has to be experienced. Almost all down hill going in--and what little climbing is done is not severe or a long haul. And you elevator out.

I think maybe 2/3rds of the big room at the bottom (you can elevator down too) is wheelchair accessible with assistance--I don't think walking in from the surface is wheelchair accessible though. Not really strenuously demanding but it does require a degree of physical fitness.

That is so cool. I'd be a little worried about cave spiders though! :ack-1:

I did most of my growing up 90 miles from Carlsbad, and because it was the most interesting attraction in southeast New Mexico, every time somebody from out of town came to see it, that meant a trip to the Caverns. So I was there a LOT--back before it was self-guided and we were taken through in groups on a guided tour--it was more fun and more exciting then. But it's still great now. We went back with our own kids so they could have the experience, and then because our former church camp was there, a couple more trips with church groups plus our son and family lived there for awhile that necessitated another trip through so our granddaughter could 'show us'. Needless to say, I could lead a guided tour of the Caverns myself.

But until you have experienced it, you cannot imagine how big it is. No matter how many times you go, that remains amazing. You could place a very large building inside many of the 'rooms' and the formations and colors are just incredible. It is so spacious that even severely claustrophobic people rarely have a problem--the very few more restricted areas are very quickly passed through to get to a larger chamber.

And in all those trips, I never saw any kind of critter inside the cavern. No spiders. No bats. The only time you see the bats is when they predictably exit the cave at sundown and that too is a major tourist attraction. :)
On the way back to El Paso we drove up and through the parking lot...... packed with cars. We'll go back to visit the cave but when we can determine when visitation numbers are at their smallest....... :thup:

Well of course the visitation numbers will be smallest in the months that most people don't take their vacations. And there are always more kids when school is not in session.

But the parking lot will always be well populated and could be populated with busses and you won't feel like you're dealing with crowds. Everybody goes through at their own pace and honestly, it is so huge that I don't know how many people you would have to put in there to make it feel crowded.

And if we ever decide to do Carlsbad Caverns we'll need segways or hoverrounds............ :eusa_whistle:

IMG_3899.jpg

If you have never done the Caverns and can walk the distance, you definitely need to do that. It is one of the world's truly incredible marvels and there is no way to describe it. It simply has to be experienced. Almost all down hill going in--and what little climbing is done is not severe or a long haul. And you elevator out.

I think maybe 2/3rds of the big room at the bottom (you can elevator down too) is wheelchair accessible with assistance--I don't think walking in from the surface is wheelchair accessible though. Not really strenuously demanding but it does require a degree of physical fitness.

I did most of my growing up 90 miles from Carlsbad, and because it was the most interesting attraction in southeast New Mexico, every time somebody from out of town came to see it, that meant a trip to the Caverns. So I was there a LOT--back before it was self-guided and we were taken through in groups on a guided tour--it was more fun and more exciting then. But it's still great now. We went back with our own kids so they could have the experience, and then because our former church camp was there, a couple more trips with church groups plus our son and family lived there for awhile that necessitated another trip through so our granddaughter could 'show us'. Needless to say, I could lead a guided tour of the Caverns myself.

But until you have experienced it, you cannot imagine how big it is. No matter how many times you go, that remains amazing. You could place a very large building inside many of the 'rooms' and the formations and colors are just incredible. It is so spacious that even severely claustrophobic people rarely have a problem--the very few more restricted areas are very quickly passed through to get to a larger chamber.

And in all those trips, I never saw any kind of critter inside the cavern. No spiders. No bats. The only time you see the bats is when they predictably exit the cave at sundown and that too is a major tourist attraction. :)

Awesome! I'd also be interested in seeing one of those really cool salt caves. They have entire churches built into them! Amazing!

Wieliczka-saltmine-kinga.jpg

IMG_3899.jpg

On the way back to El Paso we drove up and through the parking lot...... packed with cars. We'll go back to visit the cave but when we can determine when visitation numbers are at their smallest....... :thup:

Well of course the visitation numbers will be smallest in the months that most people don't take their vacations. And there are always more kids when school is not in session.

But the parking lot will always be well populated and could be populated with busses and you won't feel like you're dealing with crowds. Everybody goes through at their own pace and honestly, it is so huge that I don't know how many people you would have to put in there to make it feel crowded.

Five or six........ :eusa_whistle:

:lol:

Welp, finally took the plunge today, literally, in the pool. Yup, there was the initial cold shock but it went away fairly quickly. Wasn't in for long as I haven't been in a pool in decades, just moving around, treading water and doing a couple of laps wore me out. What's strange is my ears are plugged up now, that was a rare occurrence in the past.
Plan on doing a little bit every day, at least my front crawl technique isn't as rusty as I thought it might be. :lol:

Your ears grew...true story.

"He" being you? Or "he' being Chris who is a she who would like for there to be more good looking guys closer to her age in the Coffee Shop. :) (We need to start recruiting again I think.)

I don't mind older guys, as long as they aren't married. :beer: I stay away from the young guys though. Even guys my age are really immature, spend all kinds of time playing video games, act childish, unappreciative, selfish, etc. . . . :uhoh3: So, as a matter of fact, I prefer older men to younger ones.

Besides, I want to be the young one! :lol:

Well, I'm a bit older than you....but yep, that describes me! :D

Must be one of your tactics for remaining single. :p

I don't need any tactics! I do that by having no social life outside of the little one. :p

Well get out there! That little one is going to grow up and have interests of her own soon enough!

Good point, plus seeing examples of caring loving relationships between adults is an important life lesson too.

Welp, finally took the plunge today, literally, in the pool. Yup, there was the initial cold shock but it went away fairly quickly. Wasn't in for long as I haven't been in a pool in decades, just moving around, treading water and doing a couple of laps wore me out. What's strange is my ears are plugged up now, that was a rare occurrence in the past.
Plan on doing a little bit every day, at least my front crawl technique isn't as rusty as I thought it might be. :lol:

Your ears grew...true story.
Well at least the stuff that collects in them grew........ hair and wax...... :eusa_whistle:

Been outside...which is lovely except for the rolling clouds that keep blocking out the sun. My veggies are not doing well. Only the scallions, tomatoes and strawberries. The rest? Not too slick. I thought I would have a nice crop of cauliflower and zucchini...but, doesn't look like that is gonna happen what with water rationing.

Getting bad. And it isn't even June yet. I can imagine what its going to be like here in July and August. :(

Hey Gracie. Haven't seen you in awhile. Glad you stopped in. And I'm not remembering exactly where you are--I know Sheila is in Washington State, Aqua is in Oregon, you are in mid California somewhere?
I think I will be here more often, hon. It's getting kinda creepy "out there" now. I'm glad you have the coffee shop, Foxfyre. It's a nice safe haven for just yakking. :)
Yes, I am central calif coast area, halfway twixt SF and LA. I guess it could be worse....at least I get fog which helps a little bit with some moisture...just not enough. I am hoping June Gloom is nice and thick when it arrives. We need it.

:bye1: Hello Gracie.

I'm starting to feel like the Sunday cartoon section of the newspaper. Sow up once a week, have some giggles and mostly outdated...

Biggest cave in the world found in Vietnam. If I were 30 years younger........ I loved spelunking.

You wonder though whether a depression that gets enough sunlight to support a lot of vegetation qualifies as a cave. One thing we used to be able to do on the guided tours in the Carlsbad Caverns is that at some point along the trail the guide would sit us all down and the lights would be turned out. It is such complete darkness as none but the totally blind will ever experience in their lifetime. No spark, no suggestion or glimmer of light. Completely void of all light and no manner of eye adjustment can detect any. It is an overwhelming sensation.

Hombre and I used to love spelunking too--have taken some guided expeditions into unimproved caves where we had to wear safety belts and had the lights on our hard hats. West Virginia has a lot of limestone caves--We visited Seneca Caverns the summer we lived there and it is the closest thing to Carlsbad Caverns I've found, but on a mini scale when compared to Carlsbad.

Last edited:
Good soon-to-be-afternoon, Save! I
m off to the secret Beach in a little bit to let the dogs run free and chase mudhens, lol.

It is a gloriously beautiful day toda! NO FOG! Hope you guys day is just as pretty!

The front door has areas in the bottom panel where the individual slats joined together have separated with up to 1/8" gaps. Planned on getting some matching color wood putty to fill the gaps. Just walked around the corner and caught the wife filling the gaps with Elmers Wood Glue........ I just about lost it......
Got it cleaned up, the glue wasn't dry yet, could have cost me about $100 in materials to fix it not to mention the amount of time it would take to refinish the door......

Forum List

Back