USMB Coffee Shop IV

blackhawk what part of the country do you call home?
The very at the moment rain soaked Texas.
Can we have some?
Take as much as you want.

Is your house high and dry? You can get to and from work?
Yeah I have gottten a lot of rain but I'm not in any of the high flood areas the way the storms were coming in the people up near the Texas Oklahoma border or those down South were getting the worst of the flooding. Got clear skies and sun today with no rain in the forecast.

blackhawk what part of the country do you call home?
The very at the moment rain soaked Texas.
Can we have some?
Take as much as you want.

Is your house high and dry? You can get to and from work?
Yeah I have gottten a lot of rain but I'm not in any of the high flood areas the way the storms were coming in the people up near the Texas Oklahoma border or those down South were getting the worst of the flooding. Got clear skies and sun today with no rain in the forecast.

That's good. One less of our Coffee Shoppers I have to worry about then. :) I have a classmate and a couple of friends who live near Lake Texhoma and they have been posting daily updates of the advancing water. Day by day boat ramps, trees, etc. are being inundated. Likewise in the DFW area, our Arlington, Grand Prairie, Dallas, and Fort Worth friends and relatives have been posting the advancing waters on the Trinity River and Lake Arlington and at Fair Park. Just incredible.

Have friends and relatives throughout the Texas Panhandle and South Plains too--they aren't reporting serious flooding, but are wishing they had planted rice instead of okra. And our folks on the gulf coast got caught up in that mess in and around Houston. Amazing terrible stuff.

Last edited:
Some places are locked in a bad drought, other places are rain drenched beyond the norm, and up here in Wisconsin it's still practically winter. It's going to be June 1st tomorrow, and this morning I have 35 degrees on my thermometer, 3 degrees away from FREEZING, and believe it or not, I have my HEAT on in the house. I also just saw a national weather map with predictions in temps for the next three months, and they had what appeared to be as the middle third of the country, north to south, marked as being below normal for temps, and the east and west coasts as higher than normal. We can't win in WI. This is going on the third year of being just... COLD... and it's getting OLD.

Our Michiganer, Saveliberty, next door hasn't mentioned it, but I see an awful lot of winter weather noted on the severe weather map in upper Michigan. And I can't imagine Michigan having winter weather while Wisconsin is warm.

The severe weather gifs are amazing. I am posting it at noon Eastern time. But if you check back later this image shown here will change as the weather changes so you always have a current picture. Blue is wind - dark green means flood watch - light green is flood warning - yellow outline severe thunderstorm watch - solid yellow is severe thunderstorm warning - red outline is tornado watch - solid red tornado warning. The white indicates severe winter weather.

Last edited:
I have my first appointment with my counselor next week and I am pretty darned nervous. I guess I will give it a go and see if it helps, seeing I have been on a waiting list for two months.

I would love the people responsible to be brought to justice but that probably won't happen, so talking about it might have to be what I can settle for.

Noomi....you're doing the right thing. :) You have a lot of courage. Sending good thoughts your way.

We were discussing Carlsbad Caverns a day or two ago, and I just ran across this photo that really illustrates pretty well what to expect, though no photograph can duplicate what it is to be there. If I am remembering right, this is just about 1/2 the way between the opening and the bottom.

carlsbad-caverns-940x615.jpg

Good morning all. Hoping Nosmo King saw the vigil list photo last night. The photos he has posted of the Pimplebutt Estate show a street of such severe grade that he could be in one of the house up on the hill there. :)

Hombre has been under the weather with sinus infection and a deep cough though he seems to be somewhat on the mend now--apparently not a long lived bug. Volunteering at the urgent care center, he gets exposed to everything and, being a generous soul, he shares it. So as of this morning it is pretty obvious to me that I've got it. And I'm not happy about it so if I am a bit short with folks today, please forgive me.
Thanks for the shout out to the Pottery Capital of the World, Foxy!

The houses here are stuck to the hillsides like rice paddy terraces are stuck to hills in Thailand! My neighbor can look into the second floor of the house next door. My living room is at the same level as his basement. A friend of mine had visitors from China and they compared East Liverpool to San Francisco. The topography being the one and only similarity.

The post card you found was of the old Thompson pottery. We once had over one hundred potteries and decorating shops around town. But today, we have only three potteries and one decorating shop. We have a town game unique to us. It's door knob tossing. One of the ceramic products made here was door knobs. The rejected knobs were unceremoniously dumped along the banks of the river.

That's where we 'mine' them and developed the game. The knob tossing court is two tires buried up to the sidewalks forty feet apart. If your toss lands inside the tire it's two points. If it lands on the sidewall of the tire, it's one point. You play to 21. A simple game for a simple place. It's featured at the Pottery Festival each June during the Pottery Olympics.

You don't want to know about the games of the Pottery Olympics, do you?

I notice in the last couple of hours, some of that winter weather is showing up in Wisconsin on that severe weather map now.

Good morning all. Hoping Nosmo King saw the vigil list photo last night. The photos he has posted of the Pimplebutt Estate show a street of such severe grade that he could be in one of the house up on the hill there. :)

Hombre has been under the weather with sinus infection and a deep cough though he seems to be somewhat on the mend now--apparently not a long lived bug. Volunteering at the urgent care center, he gets exposed to everything and, being a generous soul, he shares it. So as of this morning it is pretty obvious to me that I've got it. And I'm not happy about it so if I am a bit short with folks today, please forgive me.

The houses here are stuck to the hillsides like rice paddy terraces are stuck to hills in Thailand! My neighbor can look into the second floor of the house next door. My living room is at the same level as his basement. A friend of mine had visitors from China and they compared East Liverpool to San Francisco. The topography being the one and only similarity.

The post card you found was of the old Thompson pottery. We once had over one hundred potteries and decorating shops around town. But today, we have only three potteries and one decorating shop. We have a town game unique to us. It's door knob tossing. One of the ceramic products made here was door knobs. The rejected knobs were unceremoniously dumped along the banks of the river.

That's where we 'mine' them and developed the game. The knob tossing court is two tires buried up to the sidewalks forty feet apart. If your toss lands inside the tire it's two points. If it lands on the sidewall of the tire, it's one point. You play to 21. A simple game for a simple place. It's featured at the Pottery Festival each June during the Pottery Olympics.

Well the door knob toss sounds kind of fun. There really is a Pottery Olympics?

Some places are locked in a bad drought, other places are rain drenched beyond the norm, and up here in Wisconsin it's still practically winter. It's going to be June 1st tomorrow, and this morning I have 35 degrees on my thermometer, 3 degrees away from FREEZING, and believe it or not, I have my HEAT on in the house. I also just saw a national weather map with predictions in temps for the next three months, and they had what appeared to be as the middle third of the country, north to south, marked as being below normal for temps, and the east and west coasts as higher than normal. We can't win in WI. This is going on the third year of being just... COLD... and it's getting OLD.

Our Michiganer, Saveliberty, next door hasn't mentioned it, but I see an awful lot of winter weather noted on the severe weather map in upper Michigan. And I can't imagine Michigan having winter weather while Wisconsin is warm.

That's cause you're not a Yooper....... :eusa_whistle:

Sherry and I saw the Aloha movie with Bradley Cooper and Emma Stone. It is a romantic comedy....sort of.

Sherry liked it....but I think mainly because she drooled the entire movie over Bradley Cooper.

Yes.....he was dreamy. :D

Me.....I thought it was.......eh......small cap okay. Could have been much more. But ladies.....two big thumbs up from Sherry....:thup:....:thup: for Bradley Cooper. :)

"His eyes are a river of blue."

Like I said....fucking dreamy.

Peace out.

You are so totally exaggerating...it was not the entire movie.:tongue:

Well the door knob toss sounds kind of fun. There really is a Pottery Olympics?
Every June we hold the Pottery Festival. It's part carnival, part trade show, part fund raiser and it features the Pottery Olympics on the last day.

There is the sagger race, the batter out challenge, door knob tossing tournament and the bisque throw.

Saggers are eight foot long planks about ten inches wide and a half inch thick. They are used to take ware from station to station in a pottery. Hollow ware (pitchers, bottles and the like) as well as flat ware (bowls, platters and plates) are first cast or molded and then place in the bisque ovens. These ovens dry the ware of all the water contained in the clay. This is necessary so they don't end up producing steam and exploding in the kilns (pronounced "kills"). Then Saggers are used to take the ware from the kiln cars to decorating stations where decals and stripes of gold or colors are applied. During the sagger races, bisque ware is carried on saggers by the racers around a maze-like course.

When plates or cups are formed, a mold is spun like a record on a turntable. Clay is thrown onto the spinning mold and a mold to form the base of the ware is pulled down on the spinning clay. Voila! We have a plate! The 'batter out' is the person who must pull a fistful of clay from a cylinder of raw clay and do the tossing onto the mold.

The 'batter out ' challenge is a competition between skilled batter outs to produce as many acceptable plates in a given period of time.

Bisque ware, as I described, is ware that has been dried out and ready for glazing. A bunch of bisque ware is provided by one or the other local potteries and thrown for distance and accuracy.

Sound alike fun, eh? Well, the 50th annual Tri-State Pottery Festival begins the third week next month.

The Upper Peninsula is kind of on its own most days.

Sherry and I saw the Aloha movie with Bradley Cooper and Emma Stone. It is a romantic comedy....sort of.

Sherry liked it....but I think mainly because she drooled the entire movie over Bradley Cooper.

Me.....I thought it was.......eh......small cap okay. Could have been much more. But ladies.....two big thumbs up from Sherry....:thup:....:thup: for Bradley Cooper. :)

Peace out.

Closing credits don't count Sherry...

The Upper Peninsula is kind of on its own most days.
Most days? :lol:

Peace out.

Closing credits don't count Sherry...

Zip it, catboy.:D

The UP looks like a deer crossing the road. Face it, the UP is not a pleasant peninsula...

The last time I went tent camping, in '79 at the age of 10, it was in Copper Harbor, MI. It was July and cold as fuck, making it miserable sleeping conditions. Plus, I had a cow when my mom and I had to come back to the dock so she could use the bathroom. We had a stringer with over 20 beautiful crappies on it, and somehow when we got back out on the lake, she threw it overboard without tying it back to the boat. My grandparents heard me yelling, "MOOOOOTTTTTHHHHHEEEEERRRRR!!!!!" on the other side of the lake. Yes, we had a memorable trip.

Forum List

Back