USMB Coffee Shop IV

Do they have lifts? Or does the fat guy never leave his apartment? If you were huffing and puffing, I can imagine what HE goes thru.

I was gasping just reading it.
Get some trekking poles. I love mine. Without them..I would be up shit creek with my bad hip.

Well, it's been another Red Letter week in my career. Actually, the last two weeks have been nothing short of spectacular. In the normal course of a month, I complete somewhere in the neighborhood of eighty five inspections. Now, these are all over the county. But in the last two weeks I've conducted 1,479 inspections. I did all the public housing units in my hometown and the next town down river, Wellsville Ohio.

You may recall that I've described our local topography as an unmade bed. This area of Ohio features rolling ravines into steep valleys. I live at the Terminal Moraine of the glaciers that scoured out the Great Lakes. The glaciers stopped their southward slide a couple hundred thousand years ago and began to melt. The resulting constant flow of melted ice tore through the topsoil, ground through layers of slate and sandstone and left us with a geography that is flat at alternating banks of the Ohio River and a series of ridges of roughly equal height separated by deep valleys.

It was on one such hillside that, back in the early 1970s, it was decided to build a public housing development. They called their wonderland LaBelle Terrace. I'm not an accomplished architect, but I know bad architecture when I see it. I remember when I closed the mortgage on the Luxurious Pimplebutt Estate I was understandably nervous. With all the signatures and agreements involved in a mortgage, I rose from the desk in a nice office in the bank and forgot how I got into it. I turned left when I should have turned right. Right when the best course was a left. I turned to the closing officer and said "Who ever designed these offices must have gotten Ds in Architeure School!"

She shot me a look and said "My husband was the lead architect on our renovations."

Anyway, LaBelle Terrace has steep hillsides, literally hundred of steps, steep ramps and no parking. Wherever you can park means either a long descent or an arduous ascent to your apartment. Then the apartments themselves are two or three stories high. Some have sunken living rooms and four flights of stairs. This place has bad architecture in spades.

After a full day of huffing and puffing up and down the steps, hills and ramps built to allow residents to get to their apartments, my heart was beating like the tympani section in a Tchichovski symphony. I had scheduled all the units in the steepest section for yesterday. I looked up the hill and saw four more units. I started to climb yet another flight of steps and trudge up another steep ramp.

I was sucking air like a Dyson vacuum, the peripheral focus was getting fuzzy and little sparklers appeared before my eyes. I looked to read the house numbers on the final four and saw an extremely portly man sunning himself is a lounge chair. He was bald and had a look of total contentment on his moonlike face.

I thought to myself, 'After a long and difficult journey, after such a trying climb up the mountain and encountering a man of such generous carriage, I should receive enlightenment!'

But it turned out not to be an incarnation of the Buddah. It was just a fat guy in LaBelle Terrace.

I love your stories Nosmo. :)

But this was a vivid reminder to me why this last time round of home shopping that we looked diligently for a house with no stairs of any kind. I don't want to have to go up or down to take out the trash or carry in the groceries. And because inclimate weather is so rare here, there is no need for storm shelter so we don't need a basement and very few people have one.

I even resent having to step down four inches into our enclose back porch area, and then step up again to get to our flagstone patio outside. But is the Pimplebutt Estate in Ohio? I was thinking you were across the line into Pennsylvania?

Get some trekking poles. I love mine. Without them..I would be up shit creek with my bad hip.

I remember when you ordered those trekking poles Gracie but then you never mentioned how you like them once you got them. They work well for you?

Well, it's been another Red Letter week in my career. Actually, the last two weeks have been nothing short of spectacular. In the normal course of a month, I complete somewhere in the neighborhood of eighty five inspections. Now, these are all over the county. But in the last two weeks I've conducted 1,479 inspections. I did all the public housing units in my hometown and the next town down river, Wellsville Ohio.

You may recall that I've described our local topography as an unmade bed. This area of Ohio features rolling ravines into steep valleys. I live at the Terminal Moraine of the glaciers that scoured out the Great Lakes. The glaciers stopped their southward slide a couple hundred thousand years ago and began to melt. The resulting constant flow of melted ice tore through the topsoil, ground through layers of slate and sandstone and left us with a geography that is flat at alternating banks of the Ohio River and a series of ridges of roughly equal height separated by deep valleys.

It was on one such hillside that, back in the early 1970s, it was decided to build a public housing development. They called their wonderland LaBelle Terrace. I'm not an accomplished architect, but I know bad architecture when I see it. I remember when I closed the mortgage on the Luxurious Pimplebutt Estate I was understandably nervous. With all the signatures and agreements involved in a mortgage, I rose from the desk in a nice office in the bank and forgot how I got into it. I turned left when I should have turned right. Right when the best course was a left. I turned to the closing officer and said "Who ever designed these offices must have gotten Ds in Architeure School!"

She shot me a look and said "My husband was the lead architect on our renovations."

Anyway, LaBelle Terrace has steep hillsides, literally hundred of steps, steep ramps and no parking. Wherever you can park means either a long descent or an arduous ascent to your apartment. Then the apartments themselves are two or three stories high. Some have sunken living rooms and four flights of stairs. This place has bad architecture in spades.

After a full day of huffing and puffing up and down the steps, hills and ramps built to allow residents to get to their apartments, my heart was beating like the tympani section in a Tchichovski symphony. I had scheduled all the units in the steepest section for yesterday. I looked up the hill and saw four more units. I started to climb yet another flight of steps and trudge up another steep ramp.

I was sucking air like a Dyson vacuum, the peripheral focus was getting fuzzy and little sparklers appeared before my eyes. I looked to read the house numbers on the final four and saw an extremely portly man sunning himself is a lounge chair. He was bald and had a look of total contentment on his moonlike face.

I thought to myself, 'After a long and difficult journey, after such a trying climb up the mountain and encountering a man of such generous carriage, I should receive enlightenment!'

But it turned out not to be an incarnation of the Buddah. It was just a fat guy in LaBelle Terrace.

But this was a vivid reminder to me why this last time round of home shopping that we looked diligently for a house with no stairs of any kind. I don't want to have to go up or down to take out the trash or carry in the groceries. And because inclimate weather is so rare here, there is no need for storm shelter so we don't need a basement and very few people have one.

I even resent having to step down four inches into our enclose back porch area, and then step up again to get to our flagstone patio outside. But is the Pimplebutt Estate in Ohio? I was thinking you were across the line into Pennsylvania?
Steps are just a natural part of our daily lives here, just like bridges.

The town is East Liverpool, Ohio. Thirty five miles from Pittsburgh, thirty five miles from Youngstown, Ohio (home of SFC Ollie), and twenty miles north of Steubenville, Ohio (birthplace of Dean Martin and Jimmy "the Greek" Snyder.

Everyone who lives in Ohio and points west owes a debt of gratitude to my hometown for this is where the official Point of Beginning is. All land surveys are tied back to the magical point at the state line of Ohio and Pennsylvania and West Virginia. It's the northernmost point on the Ohio River. All the state, county, township and private property survey lines have to start someplace and this, as they say, is it.

I don't know whether I should be proud or a little horrified that I aced this test. :)

Can You Answer These 10 1950 s Questions Surveee

I think we all should be proud that we aced the test, because we all lived through the 50's.
I also get the point that it means we are getting old. :)
I'm happy with my age. :biggrin:
I do feel a certain sense of accomplishment for having made it to nearly 66. There are times, however that I wish I hadn't punished my body so badly along the way.

Steps are just a natural part of our daily lives here, just like bridges.

The town is East Liverpool, Ohio. Thirty five miles from Pittsburgh, thirty five miles from Youngstown, Ohio (home of SFC Ollie), and twenty miles north of Steubenville, Ohio (birthplace of Dean Martin and Jimmy "the Greek" Snyder.

Everyone who lives in Ohio and points west owes a debt of gratitude to my hometown for this is where the official Point of Beginning is. All land surveys are tied back to the magical point at the state line of Ohio and Pennsylvania and West Virginia. It's the northernmost point on the Ohio River. All the state, county, township and private property survey lines have to start someplace and this, as they say, is it.

I never thought about what a surveyor uses for a starting point. But it does make sense that measurements have to begin somewhere.

As for steps, I suppose they are a part of all of our lives everywhere. I remember some years ago when I was in much better physical shape than I am now, we climbed the 224 steps at Seven Falls near Colorado Springs. The combination of the altitude and too much time behind a desk took a quick toll. By the time I was at the top I was jittery and my legs were pretty rubbery--and then we had to climb back down again which was even scarier because I was so near exhaustion and thought my legs might give out. (That was a good wake up call for me at that time--I did some serious strengthening and conditioning work after that.)

Now I do steps when I have to, but need to hold onto something. I can no longer easily negotiate a series of steps if I don't have sturdy hand rails to hold onto. Going up is easier than coming down.

I don't know whether I should be proud or a little horrified that I aced this test. :)

Can You Answer These 10 1950 s Questions Surveee

I think we all should be proud that we aced the test, because we all lived through the 50's.
I also get the point that it means we are getting old. :)
I'm happy with my age. :biggrin:
I do feel a certain sense of accomplishment for having made it to nearly 66. There are times, however that I wish I hadn't punished my body so badly along the way.

No kidding. I think a lot of us are now thinking we should have done some things differently along the way.

1159028le2sxwj5b1.gif

Drove up to Ruidoso, yup FF, small touristy mountain town with touristy overpriced stuff for sale. Drove by the Inn of the Mountain Gods, pretty lake but we didn't stop. Had a late lunch in Alamogordo, hit some of the thrifts then headed home, the wife had to take over driving when we reached Orogrande as I was starting to nod off at the wheel........
Got home and turned on the AC and swamp cooler, 90 degrees and the house was a little on the toasty side.

I remember when you ordered those trekking poles Gracie but then you never mentioned how you like them once you got them. They work well for you?
They are AWESOME. I can't believe that two poles would make such a HUGE difference. I used to use walking staffs out of branches that I would go hunting for, then carve in to snake heads and whatnot...complete with scales. That was when I had better flexibility of my wrists and hands and could use the exacto knives. But it was just ONE walking stick. Who woulda thunk TWO would do what ONE couldn't do?
Upper arm workout, cardiovascular stuff...strain off ankles, knees, hips. I can walk further now than I have in 5 years. Love 'em! They stay in my van. Where I go, they go. People ask me about them all the time, too. I tell them...go to ebay, spend 15 bucks, GET SOME.

Sherry and I saw the Aloha movie with Bradley Cooper and Emma Stone. It is a romantic comedy....sort of.

Sherry liked it....but I think mainly because she drooled the entire movie over Bradley Cooper.

Yes.....he was dreamy. :D

Me.....I thought it was.......eh......small cap okay. Could have been much more. But ladies.....two big thumbs up from Sherry....:thup:....:thup: for Bradley Cooper. :)

"His eyes are a river of blue."

Like I said....fucking dreamy.

Peace out.

I can relate. Bradley Cooper does have nice eyes:

bradley-cooper.jpg

And we gals can get all mushy about great blue eyes:

Paul-Newman-Daytona-Rolex.jpg
search
th
th
th
://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=JN.CH2axRGzft6KlkGZ%2bnOpnQ&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

. . .but I have it on good authority that other things are more important. :)

Forum List

Back