USMB Coffee Shop IV

It turned out that the wife's test wasn't a cath, but an MRI. We were in and out in 15 minutes.
We stopped by Doc's for a bit. (momma was missing the place) and then vegged out to TV before I headed out to the bar for a few minutes. The place is busy! Not a bar stool to be had anywhere.
The guy and his wife that we've been having in to play for the crowd is finally starting to draw people back. He's cheap and his tab usually equals his pay so, what the hell...
Next Saturday is the birthday bash at Doc's Max's wife and mine are both 6/14 babies and we've celebrated together for 5 years now.
We'll have The Jason Abel Project, cake and some food. I'm thinking about smoking a couple briskets and making tater salad. Some of the staff and regulars will contribute a dish or 2.
It's all good!

How is Max these days? I'm working on a weekend trip to Daphne/Malbis, maybe 4th of July. What's on the calendar at Doc's during the day on the 4th?
Max is doing quite well. He did have another minor surgery, but 'taint no big thing to a guy that's had over 100 trips under the knife.
We'd all be happy to have you stop in if even for a short time.

Don't know for sure what's going on. I do know we'll be open.
We'll likely have some food and some theme drinks.
The decorations stay up between Flag Day and the 4th.

red-white-and-blue.png

It turned out that the wife's test wasn't a cath, but an MRI. We were in and out in 15 minutes.
We stopped by Doc's for a bit. (momma was missing the place) and then vegged out to TV before I headed out to the bar for a few minutes. The place is busy! Not a bar stool to be had anywhere.
The guy and his wife that we've been having in to play for the crowd is finally starting to draw people back. He's cheap and his tab usually equals his pay so, what the hell...
Next Saturday is the birthday bash at Doc's Max's wife and mine are both 6/14 babies and we've celebrated together for 5 years now.
We'll have The Jason Abel Project, cake and some food. I'm thinking about smoking a couple briskets and making tater salad. Some of the staff and regulars will contribute a dish or 2.
It's all good!

Good news Ernie. Do you have to wait for the MRI results or do they give them to you right away?

It's all good!

Good news Ernie. Do you have to wait for the MRI results or do they give them to you right away?
Results due "early next week".
They rushed her out yesterday. They had an emergency patient needing their attention.

Good morning all. I came in during the wee hours of the morning but couldn't post the vigil list--USMB must have entered its daily maintenance phase--so gave up and went on to bed. Was dreaming that I was talking with and expressing sympathy to Vice President Biden when I woke up--changed the TV channel and Beau Biden's funeral was in process on TV. I thought the funeral had already taken place. Things like that really interest me--what our subconscious picks up???

Anyhow, need to get around and get ready for our stove to be delivered later. Beautiful day here. Mid 80's for the next several days--perfect summer weather and much cooler than we normally expect this time of year. Slight chance for a shower later. All is well.

It's all good!

Results due "early next week".
They rushed her out yesterday. They had an emergency patient needing their attention.

Well, let's just keep her on the list then until the results are in.

I mean it is essentially tuneless--just noise. You listen to a performance and there is no melody in your head that you can hum to yourself.

For instance, I don't agree with every selection here, but almost all of the very short clips offered on this video will put the melody into my head. Almost no modern music does that:

500 Greatest Songs of All Time

The link doesn't work for me.

I think that what this really is is that you don't enjoy the modern pop music you've listened to. To say that modern music has no melody, is tuneless, I think is demonstrably false. I've caught myself with songs I don't like, modern pop or country style songs, stuck in my head. And a commercial jingle can be hummed; that doesn't make it more melodious or enjoyable than modern pop. :p

If you don't like what you think of as modern music (you haven't exactly defined that, it could be anything made in the last 10, 20, 30 years, only the pop songs of those periods, only pop songs from certain sources, etc.) that's fine. The way you describe it, however, is pretty insulting to anyone who does like any of that music. When you keep saying that modern music has no melody or tune, it sounds like you are saying modern music isn't actually music at all; that it is as much music as listening to any random noises one might hear around them. It comes off, to me anyway, less as a matter of taste and more a condemnation of a huge number of artists as not actually being musicians. I tend to think country music is bad, but it's still music. ;)

Now come on. No fair saying I'm insulting if I don't like modern music (which I define as most of the stuff produced this century) but you aren't insulting if you say country music is bad? :)

Seriously I don't intend to insult anybody's tastes in music or anything else. I was just enjoying a conversation about music with the full understanding that everybody doesn't like everything. But if I am coming across as insulting, I'll take the hint and change the subject. Or let somebody else change it. No harm. No foul.

It's not disliking it that I said was insulting, but rather the way you say that. Saying modern music has no melody, is tuneless noise, is like saying it isn't music at all. If you just said, "I don't like modern music" I wouldn't have any problem with it. You've said modern music has no melody many times, though, and made it sound like you don't consider it actually to be music at all, just a collection of noise. I know we have at least one musician who makes a modern style of music on the board in GT and there may well be many more. Anyone who's ever played in a band or written a song has probably had the expectation that some people wouldn't like it, but I don't know if many would expect people to equate their music to any random noise someone might hear.

I've said a few times I think when you say modern music has no melody what you are saying is it's not music you enjoy, but the way you say it seems like more than that. I listen to a bunch of niche music that most people are at best indifferent to, and in many cases hate. It's been many years, but I played in bands making music that many people would dislike. I don't mind someone disliking music, I just think when you say or imply that it isn't even music at all, that's a step too far. :D

Well......I've heard some music that really pushed the boundaries of being called music. :lol: But pop, terrible as it can at times be, is still music. :lmao:

Death metal? :biggrin:

Hah! No, I listen to some death metal and have even played a little in the past. The only genre that comes to mind offhand as pushing the music boundaries is grindcore, and even then, it's probably more about the particular band than the genre itself. I was thinking more along the lines of some really out there progressive bands who intentionally push the envelope. :)

I think we might have this conversation before, IIRC, but anyway, death metal is the one genre of music that I really do not care for. It's not the music that I dislike, but the vocals and lyrics in most cases.

Hidey ho to Mad Scientist. Happy you dropped in this morning. :)

And today is the 71st anniversary of D Day. I had a relative in the Normandy invasion who survived it. So many did not. . . .

d-day-6.jpg

And today is the 71st anniversary of D Day. I had a relative in the Normandy invasion who survived it. So many did not. . . .

d-day-6.jpg

My step father was a commando on D day, and it made him a hard man. He thought I was a wimp.

d-day-6.jpg

My step father was a commando on D day, and it made him a hard man. He thought I was a wimp.

Well that is unfortunate. You don't come across as a wimp to me. But it is true that those of the WWII generation, both those who served and those who held things together back home, do tend to think subsequent generations have had it a lot easier.

There was a news item on TV yesterday that freaked me out. A giant deadly poisonous spider from Brazil has invaded a house in Britain, hiding in a bunch of bananas. Unfortunately it was a pregnant female and there were babies running around. I think they killed most of the babies but they could not find the mother. So the family moved into a hotel. I don't blame them as these spiders can kill you with one bite. I am hoping they do not spread around England.

There was a news item on TV yesterday that freaked me out. A giant deadly poisonous spider from Brazil has invaded a house in Britain, hiding in a bunch of bananas. Unfortunately it was a pregnant female and there were babies running around. I think they killed most of the babies but they could not find the mother. So the family moved into a hotel. I don't blame them as these spiders can kill you with one bite. I am hoping they do not spread around England.

That is scary.

Edit: I was curious about such a dangerous spider, and when I googled poisonous Brazlian spider, it called up that story. Apparently a false alarm:

. . .“Following independent expert analysis, we can confirm that the eggs in question were totally harmless and not from the Brazilian Wandering Spider (Phoneutria fera).

“Whilst our bananas are of the highest quality and delivered by one of the world’s largest suppliers, these incidents, whilst extremely rare, can occur and we apologise for the distress caused to Mr Hobbs and his family. The Watling Street store in Hinckley is now fully open to customers.”
http://www.theguardian.com/environm...f-bananas-forces-family-to-flee-home[/indent]

Of course they never publicize the retraction to these things like they do when it is a sensational story. But you can safely buy bananas, Daschal. :)

Last edited:
Just reading (again) about the Korean soldiers captured by the GIs on D Day. Not to mention the hundreds (possibly thousands) of "eastern" troops positioned on the Atlantic Wall.

At least we don't have these here.

image68.png

Giant African Land Snails have been infesting Miami-Dade for years and have moved into Broward County.
This idiot is nuts, the snail carries a parasite in it's mucus that will cause parasitic meningitis in humans, there's no cure.

The link doesn't work for me.

I think that what this really is is that you don't enjoy the modern pop music you've listened to. To say that modern music has no melody, is tuneless, I think is demonstrably false. I've caught myself with songs I don't like, modern pop or country style songs, stuck in my head. And a commercial jingle can be hummed; that doesn't make it more melodious or enjoyable than modern pop. :p

If you don't like what you think of as modern music (you haven't exactly defined that, it could be anything made in the last 10, 20, 30 years, only the pop songs of those periods, only pop songs from certain sources, etc.) that's fine. The way you describe it, however, is pretty insulting to anyone who does like any of that music. When you keep saying that modern music has no melody or tune, it sounds like you are saying modern music isn't actually music at all; that it is as much music as listening to any random noises one might hear around them. It comes off, to me anyway, less as a matter of taste and more a condemnation of a huge number of artists as not actually being musicians. I tend to think country music is bad, but it's still music. ;)

Now come on. No fair saying I'm insulting if I don't like modern music (which I define as most of the stuff produced this century) but you aren't insulting if you say country music is bad? :)

Seriously I don't intend to insult anybody's tastes in music or anything else. I was just enjoying a conversation about music with the full understanding that everybody doesn't like everything. But if I am coming across as insulting, I'll take the hint and change the subject. Or let somebody else change it. No harm. No foul.

It's not disliking it that I said was insulting, but rather the way you say that. Saying modern music has no melody, is tuneless noise, is like saying it isn't music at all. If you just said, "I don't like modern music" I wouldn't have any problem with it. You've said modern music has no melody many times, though, and made it sound like you don't consider it actually to be music at all, just a collection of noise. I know we have at least one musician who makes a modern style of music on the board in GT and there may well be many more. Anyone who's ever played in a band or written a song has probably had the expectation that some people wouldn't like it, but I don't know if many would expect people to equate their music to any random noise someone might hear.

I've said a few times I think when you say modern music has no melody what you are saying is it's not music you enjoy, but the way you say it seems like more than that. I listen to a bunch of niche music that most people are at best indifferent to, and in many cases hate. It's been many years, but I played in bands making music that many people would dislike. I don't mind someone disliking music, I just think when you say or imply that it isn't even music at all, that's a step too far. :D

Well......I've heard some music that really pushed the boundaries of being called music. :lol: But pop, terrible as it can at times be, is still music. :lmao:

Hah! No, I listen to some death metal and have even played a little in the past. The only genre that comes to mind offhand as pushing the music boundaries is grindcore, and even then, it's probably more about the particular band than the genre itself. I was thinking more along the lines of some really out there progressive bands who intentionally push the envelope. :)

I think we might have this conversation before, IIRC, but anyway, death metal is the one genre of music that I really do not care for. It's not the music that I dislike, but the vocals and lyrics in most cases.

It's not for most. :D I perfectly understand people not liking death metal. It's intentionally extreme, angry, violent music. There's plenty of death metal I don't like, but I'm good with the genre. Angry and sad are the two emotions I most connect to in my music. :p

I used to be in to heavy rock and roll...but now all I enjoy is easy listening stuff. Enya, NA flutes, yoga music, nature songs, etc. Only time I hear oldies is when I am in the van and the radio is on. Most of the time, I drive in complete silence.

It's not for most. :D I perfectly understand people not liking death metal. It's intentionally extreme, angry, violent music. There's plenty of death metal I don't like, but I'm good with the genre. Angry and sad are the two emotions I most connect to in my music. :p

:lol:

Forum List

Back