USMB Coffee Shop IV

Because we are so prone to be distracted and miss our turn these days, both Hombre and I could benefit from a system like this:

10313622_555825697871800_3124546759432617897_n.jpg

Now come on. No fair saying I'm insulting if I don't like modern music (which I define as most of the stuff produced this century) but you aren't insulting if you say country music is bad? :)

Seriously I don't intend to insult anybody's tastes in music or anything else. I was just enjoying a conversation about music with the full understanding that everybody doesn't like everything. But if I am coming across as insulting, I'll take the hint and change the subject. Or let somebody else change it. No harm. No foul.

It's not disliking it that I said was insulting, but rather the way you say that. Saying modern music has no melody, is tuneless noise, is like saying it isn't music at all. If you just said, "I don't like modern music" I wouldn't have any problem with it. You've said modern music has no melody many times, though, and made it sound like you don't consider it actually to be music at all, just a collection of noise. I know we have at least one musician who makes a modern style of music on the board in GT and there may well be many more. Anyone who's ever played in a band or written a song has probably had the expectation that some people wouldn't like it, but I don't know if many would expect people to equate their music to any random noise someone might hear.

I've said a few times I think when you say modern music has no melody what you are saying is it's not music you enjoy, but the way you say it seems like more than that. I listen to a bunch of niche music that most people are at best indifferent to, and in many cases hate. It's been many years, but I played in bands making music that many people would dislike. I don't mind someone disliking music, I just think when you say or imply that it isn't even music at all, that's a step too far. :D

Well......I've heard some music that really pushed the boundaries of being called music. :lol: But pop, terrible as it can at times be, is still music. :lmao:

Death metal? :biggrin:

Hah! No, I listen to some death metal and have even played a little in the past. The only genre that comes to mind offhand as pushing the music boundaries is grindcore, and even then, it's probably more about the particular band than the genre itself. I was thinking more along the lines of some really out there progressive bands who intentionally push the envelope. :)

I think we might have this conversation before, IIRC, but anyway, death metal is the one genre of music that I really do not care for. It's not the music that I dislike, but the vocals and lyrics in most cases.

It's not for most. :D I perfectly understand people not liking death metal. It's intentionally extreme, angry, violent music. There's plenty of death metal I don't like, but I'm good with the genre. Angry and sad are the two emotions I most connect to in my music. :p

I feel the same, and I do listen to some heavy metal and other songs with "questionable" lyrics (most times however, it's not the lyrics that make me like a song). It's more the WAY they "sing" if that's what you would call that "growling" that they do. :biggrin: I just can't get into that. Also, when they talk about things like killing people, devil worship or something else outrageous, etc. . . . that's just a bit too much for me. ;)

It's not disliking it that I said was insulting, but rather the way you say that. Saying modern music has no melody, is tuneless noise, is like saying it isn't music at all. If you just said, "I don't like modern music" I wouldn't have any problem with it. You've said modern music has no melody many times, though, and made it sound like you don't consider it actually to be music at all, just a collection of noise. I know we have at least one musician who makes a modern style of music on the board in GT and there may well be many more. Anyone who's ever played in a band or written a song has probably had the expectation that some people wouldn't like it, but I don't know if many would expect people to equate their music to any random noise someone might hear.

I've said a few times I think when you say modern music has no melody what you are saying is it's not music you enjoy, but the way you say it seems like more than that. I listen to a bunch of niche music that most people are at best indifferent to, and in many cases hate. It's been many years, but I played in bands making music that many people would dislike. I don't mind someone disliking music, I just think when you say or imply that it isn't even music at all, that's a step too far. :D

Well......I've heard some music that really pushed the boundaries of being called music. :lol: But pop, terrible as it can at times be, is still music. :lmao:

Hah! No, I listen to some death metal and have even played a little in the past. The only genre that comes to mind offhand as pushing the music boundaries is grindcore, and even then, it's probably more about the particular band than the genre itself. I was thinking more along the lines of some really out there progressive bands who intentionally push the envelope. :)

I think we might have this conversation before, IIRC, but anyway, death metal is the one genre of music that I really do not care for. It's not the music that I dislike, but the vocals and lyrics in most cases.

It's not for most. :D I perfectly understand people not liking death metal. It's intentionally extreme, angry, violent music. There's plenty of death metal I don't like, but I'm good with the genre. Angry and sad are the two emotions I most connect to in my music. :p

I feel the same, and I do listen to some heavy metal and other songs with "questionable" lyrics (most times however, it's not the lyrics that make me like a song). It's more the WAY they "sing" if that's what you would call that "growling" that they do. :biggrin: I just can't get into that. Also, when they talk about things like killing people, devil worship or something else outrageous, etc. . . . that's just a bit too much for me. ;)

Heh, none of it is too much for me. My 2 favorite death metal bands are Cannibal Corpse and Deicide, which fit quite well into the categories of killing people and devil worship respectively. :lol:

Mr Gracie picked up a vintage 50's/60's tall chest of drawers today at a yard sale. Been looking at Bing Images for ideas on what color to paint it. Right now, it is shabby chic white. Um. No. My room is very colorful and bohemian style. So...since it is going next to my pc desk..which is black...which is next to the tv desk, which is also a dark brownish-black, and all will be against one wall...it makes sense to make it black or blackish brown to match. However, the drawers can be any color...with design.
This is the hardest part of painting furniture. WHAT COLOR, WHAT DESIGN. Oy.

I like these...but not sure which one yet.

373312eacd538b872cb963c65ad8d543.jpg

17eefa672c9730a552fda8b9c7fd4d44.jpg

original.jpg

8427_1323224465_2.jpg

_DBR0473.jpg

Pulaski-Furniture-Artistic-Expression-Hand-Painted-4-Drawer-Accent-Chest.jpg

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, Hombre, Sheila, Alan, & GW's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
Save and Mrs. L in adversity,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie and Colonel,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Ringel for wellness, rest, healing, and extra strength,
Nosmo's mom,
Mrs. Ernie,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Becki, R.D., and all the others who have been MIA lately. We hope everyone is okay.

Our Lone Star folks should know where this is:
sierra-del-carmen-sunset.jpg

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

Heh, none of it is too much for me. My 2 favorite death metal bands are Cannibal Corpse and Deicide, which fit quite well into the categories of killing people and devil worship respectively. :lol:
What's about some oldschool stuff? Bolt Thrower, Obituary, Dismember...

I've got a couple of Bolt Thrower and Obituary albums. I saw Obituary at least once live. Death, Carcass, a little Brutality.....most of the death metal bands I listen to are from back in the 90s or even 80s. I never listened to (or at least not enough to remember) Dismember.

Got about 7 hours of sleep but still feel like I could use another 7 hours........ Overcast, cool (80 degrees) with humidity in the 40s. Accuweather says it's currently sunny and supposed to cloud up this afternoon........ :lol:

Another foggy morning in Oaklandtown - but it's supposed to clear off this afternoon, and heat up tomorrow.

Go Warriors!

A warm Coffee Shop welcome to quorthon who is visiting for the first time today. Welcome, welcome, and we're happy you found us. Drag up a chair and make yourself at home.

Your first timer's complimentary beverage:

Cafe+image+3.jpg

Forum List

Back