USMB Coffee Shop IV

If you were planning on watching NASCAR from Michigan International Speedway today, it will be raining all afternoon here (about eighteen miles away).

Bummer. I'm really not a NASCAR fan but still get drawn into it by family who is--my granddaughter has been a rabid fan since she was 10. So I know it is disappointing for those who really are fans. Just by osmosis I guess, I know all the drivers and you can't help but get caught up in the culture at least just a little bit.

If you were planning on watching NASCAR from Michigan International Speedway today, it will be raining all afternoon here (about eighteen miles away).

I've heard of Nazgul races but what's NASCAR?

It is massive crowds and noise and patriotic displays and the roar of the engines and round and round they go in the spirit of Thunder Road.

I find the Dick and Jane books more intellectually stimulating......... not that most NASCAR fans know how to read...... :eusa_whistle:

:D

Good morning everybody. A bright clear blue day here in Albuquerque. Slight chance for showers lately, but doesn't look too promising now. We finally, for the first time, have some real summer heat building in this week so we will be in the mid to upper 90's--may be approaching a hundred for our house guests who will be arriving from two different directions at the end of the week.

Bummer. I'm really not a NASCAR fan but still get drawn into it by family who is--my granddaughter has been a rabid fan since she was 10. So I know it is disappointing for those who really are fans. Just by osmosis I guess, I know all the drivers and you can't help but get caught up in the culture at least just a little bit.

It is massive crowds and noise and patriotic displays and the roar of the engines and round and round they go in the spirit of Thunder Road.

I find the Dick and Jane books more intellectually stimulating......... not that most NASCAR fans know how to read...... :eusa_whistle:

NASCAR is not intended to be intellectually stimulating. It is intended to be a culture, an experience. It is pure Americana as few things are any more. It is something it is safe to do with your kids. And it is something to just be a part of free of the politics and ugliness that permeates so much of our society. It isn't my cup of tea, but I can sure appreciate why some do enjoy it. The gals like the color and the macho aspect--the guys like the power and the roar and the sheer guts it takes to do it. And I can appreciate why it is as interesting as watching paint dry to some.

Last edited:

NASCAR is not intended to be intellectually stimulating. It is intended to be a culture, an experience. It is pure Americana as few things are any more. It is something it is safe to do with your kids. And it is something to just be a part of free of the politics and ugliness that permeates so much of our society. It isn't my cup of tea, but I can sure appreciate why some do enjoy it.

It was a joke considering it's the number one sport in the country so "most" would be an obvious massive hyperbole....... :D

NASCAR is not intended to be intellectually stimulating. It is intended to be a culture, an experience. It is pure Americana as few things are any more. It is something it is safe to do with your kids. And it is something to just be a part of free of the politics and ugliness that permeates so much of our society. It isn't my cup of tea, but I can sure appreciate why some do enjoy it.

It was a joke considering it's the number one sport in the country so "most" would be an obvious massive hyperbole....... :D

I know. I think I know you well enough by now to know when you are teasing. (And when you aren't. :))

Actually NASCAR fascinates me just because of the tremendous culture that has built up around the phenomenon. I don't enjoy sitting and watching a race all that much, and don't deliberately tune in the race on the TV, but when it is on, I will catch myself glancing in at the TV or even going into the great room when you have a real battle going on with two or three drivers and it is getting close to the end. It's really hard not to get caught up in it just a little bit.

Oh and I prefer the old Roman chariot races........
giphy.gif

NASCAR is not intended to be intellectually stimulating. It is intended to be a culture, an experience. It is pure Americana as few things are any more. It is something it is safe to do with your kids. And it is something to just be a part of free of the politics and ugliness that permeates so much of our society. It isn't my cup of tea, but I can sure appreciate why some do enjoy it. The gals like the color and the macho aspect--the guys like the power and the roar and the sheer guts it takes to do it. And I can appreciate why it is as interesting as watching paint dry to some.

A tribute to rum runners every where! A feel this nation owes NASCAR a lot. I mean without it, no Jeff Foxworthy. To the left, left, left ,left...

Don't forget the Monday fun of listening to the police reports on the local radio station listing all the out-of-state visitors with new DUIs!

Of course you know the average reading level in this country is 4th grade........ :eek-52:

I think I've heard things similar to that said in the past. But then my father-in-law had a 4th grade education, but he read quite well and he was not an uneducated man. So we could extrapolate that NASCAR fans are brighter than the average bear and don't need all that formal education. :)

Are you smarter than a Fifth Grader?

Don't forget the Monday fun of listening to the police reports on the local radio station listing all the out-of-state visitors with new DUIs!

We don't have a track in New Mexico--we have been a horse racing state--so the DUIs are not on the radar screen--at least re NASCAR--here. However, my relatives who follow NASCAR in person say there isn't as much rowdiness and heavy drinking as you have at some pro football and baseball games and it is far more civilized than soccer games. So I don't know.

I never could really understand the attraction of watching a bunch of cars going around and around a track. Racing is kind of boring, IMO.

I agree. But those who really get into the strategy are diehard fans.

But then I think watching golf or pro baseball and sometimes even football is about as intellectually stimulating as watching paint dry. I do enjoy the faster pace and quicker results of basketball. I dislike boxing as it goes against my gentle disposition (cough) to find enjoyment in a sport in which the objective is to injure the other person while at the same time greatly appreciate the skill and beauty of many of the competitive self defense kinds of thing like Karate.

But I do enjoy many competitive sports--figure skating, gymnastics, most of the ski events, most of the swimming competition but not diving so much. It's all subjective.

Last edited:
Nice SUNNY day today. I think I will spent my time out in the lounge chair renewing my tan and reading a book :).

I just read, 'a brief history of time' by Steven Hawking. But I felt like I was dyslexic, as I hardly understood a word of it.
I get that way reading Einstein.

Hi Ernie. I have never read any Einstein but I have a large library of unread books to get through.

I think the next one I will read is, ' Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance' After that I might try ' the tao of physics' by Fritjof Capra.

It is massive crowds and noise and patriotic displays and the roar of the engines and round and round they go in the spirit of Thunder Road. Hombre sometimes watches the races intermittently in between commercials during the golf match or whatever. Today he'll be watching the college world series.

It's really big here and the Sunday crowd at Doc's will be disappointed if they can't race today.

20 pounds of pork tenderloin, 10 pounds of baked beans two peach cobblers, 2 dozen ears of corn, two big pans of cornbread, a gallon or more of coleslaw.... GONE! I really thought I'd have more than one meal from all that.
Judging from that, the party was a huge success. Judging from typical bars in Lower Alabama, it was a huge failure. Not one fight broke out. No one puked on the floor and we only lost one beer glass.

You should go to a race some time.
The party is amazing. At Talladega, there is on site camping for 100,000. Barring tornadoes, it's a great party.

Forum List

Back